• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Its past time this kind of shit ends!

On a separate subject, here are a few options that people should consider if they are in a similar situation with someone banging on door announcing themselves as police and you have no idea why:

- Just ignore the door. They need a warrant or an exigent circumstance exception to warrant for them to come in without your consent.

- Speak to them through the door. Inform them you're not sure what's going on and ask which department or agency they are with. Inform them you are calling that particular LE and verifying they have a unit at your door. Once confirmed, you can decide if you want to interact with them or not.

- Keep the weapon in the small of your back or somewhere easily accessible should you need it. Crack door open and talk to them. Once verified it's legit, if you choose to let them in, inform the officer/agent where the firearm is and keep your hands visible.

Answering the door with gun in hand is obviously absolutely legal. However, it's not a very good idea at all. Even if the shooting turns out to be illegal, you're still dead. And more than likely, while you posed no threat in reality......given the way events played out, it's going to be very hard to say beyond a reasonable doubt the officer/agent shouldn't have shot him. Obviously he was "wrong" when you have time to go over things after. But that's not how the law and such works. You have to take only what's going on in that small snapshot in time.

Like many things in life, there are things that are absolutely "legal" to do but also not a good idea.

For example, if you are crossing the street in a marked pedestrian crosswalk that either does not have signals, or the signal is allowing you to cross.....and there is a car speeding towards you..........you're perfectly legal to continue crossing. But, it's quite a bad idea to do this.

This is the way.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
On a separate subject, here are a few options that people should consider if they are in a similar situation with someone banging on door announcing themselves as police and you have no idea why:

- Just ignore the door. They need a warrant or an exigent circumstance exception to warrant for them to come in without your consent.

- Speak to them through the door. Inform them you're not sure what's going on and ask which department or agency they are with. Inform them you are calling that particular LE and verifying they have a unit at your door. Once confirmed, you can decide if you want to interact with them or not.

- Keep the weapon in the small of your back or somewhere easily accessible should you need it. Crack door open and talk to them. Once verified it's legit, if you choose to let them in, inform the officer/agent where the firearm is and keep your hands visible.

Answering the door with gun in hand is obviously absolutely legal. However, it's not a very good idea at all. Even if the shooting turns out to be illegal, you're still dead. And more than likely, while you posed no threat in reality......given the way events played out, it's going to be very hard to say beyond a reasonable doubt the officer/agent shouldn't have shot him. Obviously he was "wrong" when you have time to go over things after. But that's not how the law and such works. You have to take only what's going on in that small snapshot in time.

Like many things in life, there are things that are absolutely "legal" to do but also not a good idea.

For example, if you are crossing the street in a marked pedestrian crosswalk that either does not have signals, or the signal is allowing you to cross.....and there is a car speeding towards you..........you're perfectly legal to continue crossing. But, it's quite a bad idea to do this.
Excellent advice.

I once came outside because the officer asked, and I was threatened with a taser for doing exactly what I was asked. Thankfully, I was not tasered. Doubly thankfully, I was not carrying my gun on me at the moment. I hate to think what might have happened had I been armed. The deputy was scared to death of me.

Since then, on the rare occasion that an officer has come to my door, I talk to them through the cracked open window not to far from the door. I keep my door locked, and I do not open it. Last time, it was a wrong address, but I feel much better having the door closed and locked. I am not going to lie - I still get an adrenaline rush every time I see an officer, and it was doubly so when a patrol car appeared in my driveway on a wrong address.

The stress of being threatened with a weapon by a scared deputy stays with you for a while.

Seeing this video - it all could have been avoided had he just kept the door closed and locked.

I guess most folks are not aware that this is an option when a yelling deputy is banging on your door.

Reactions: HD1911 and 91Eunozs
"it's either him or me at this point"

I submit that this was a creation of the deputy's mind. This sounds like one of those after-the-fact things you hear some nobody say in the interrogation room after an obviously unjustifiable shooting. The difference is that this is a Sheriff's deputy, so he gets different treatment after blowing away an innocent man who made the mistake of opening his door with a pistol held down beside his leg.

If his stereo had been loud, and his neighbor banged on the door, and shot Airman Fortson six times immediately, what would the police think about his "him or me" claim?

Reactions: HD1911
"Hearing sounds of a disturbance, he (the deputy) reacted in self defense after he encountered a 23-year-old man armed with a gun after the deputy identified himself as law enforcement"

Never, ever forget what the Sheriff's Office said at the outset of this case.

Did you hear "sounds of a disturbance? How could there have been? He was alone.

"he reacted in self defense"

They absolutely would have covered this up if not for the body camera recording what really happened. Both of those claims were bald faced lies.

The circle is almost complete, back to the time of the Red Coats and why the 4th amendmant of the Constitution was put in place.