• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4HD

I think prior in this thread it was mentioned that the Arkens and Athlons do not have any turret issues and that if those $300 scopes can get it right, so should a prestigious scope maker making $1000+ scopes.

I’ve got 5 Athlons sitting here (no $300 ones, $500-$900 at normal street price) and they all line up well on the hash marks as you run the turret. As did my MK4HD. I don’t think that’s what Nancy was crying about though, he was crying about error in the tracking.

There’s plenty of video tests of through scopes of Athlons, Arkens, Vortex and many other cheap scopes where they do tests on calibrated grids and they typically show some error, some worse than others. The Athlon vids I’ve watched were 1% or so too.

As had been said, most scopes have some error. I used to have a humbler that I have to a buddy when I moved to FL (didn’t want to haul a 200lbs piece of I-beam 1000+ miles) that I easily tested 100 scopes on that were mostly high end and the majority of them had some error. The cheaper ones more than the expensive ones as you’d expect.

To be clear, the “it” I am referring to is lack of field of view causing bad things to happen.

Folks complain all day long about field of view and tunneling, but never speak to the actual impact either has on their shooting, thus why I am curious for specific examples.

It is also interesting that the Leupold MK5 5-25x56mm is like “looking through a soda straw” at certain magnifications yet lots of PRS shooters are running it.

There are theoretical problems and actual problems and I am more interested in the latter.

-Stan

It’s only a problem if you’re retarded and can’t turn a mag ring down. I’ve had a half dozen MK5 5-25’s and never found FOV to be tight at all. It’s shit that people who don’t shoot bring up online arm chairing over specs. Go use the thing. You don’t need a FOV so large that you can see your asshole to be very proficient at finding and hitting targets. Many of the scopes with huge FOV’s like XTR3’s and Kahles are just such pieces of shit in every other regard that it’s the only “good” folks can discuss about them.

Reactions: stanley_white
It’s only a problem if you’re retarded and can’t turn a mag ring down. I’ve had a half dozen MK5 5-25’s and never found FOV to be tight at all. It’s shit that people who don’t shoot bring up online arm chairing over specs. Go use the thing. You don’t need a FOV so large that you can see your asshole to be very proficient at finding and hitting targets. Many of the scopes with huge FOV’s like XTR3’s and Kahles are just such pieces of shit in every other regard that it’s the only “good” folks can discuss about them.
If you and I are going to agree then that leaves us nothing to fight about. :)

-Stan

• Haha
Reactions: redneckbmxer24
?
It becomes a problem when people choose the wrong mag range for their scope. It becomes a problem when people go from the range to a stand and dont remeber to to turn their mag down. Until things start to happen. FOV view is very important. The diffrence between this 5-25 has a 20ft fov and this 5-25 has a 23ft FOV is not that important.

I am going to have to check out one of these new XTR3s. I mostly only have good things to say about CO built XTR3.

?
It becomes a problem when people choose the wrong mag range for their scope. It becomes a problem when people go from the range to a stand and dont remeber to to turn their mag down. Until things start to happen. FOV view is very important. The diffrence between this 5-25 has a 20ft fov and this 5-25 has a 23ft FOV is not that important.

I am going to have to check out one of these new XTR3s. I mostly only have good things to say about CO built XTR3.

There’s about to be another one on the classifieds as soon as another Ares 3-18 shows up.

Large FoV doesn't allow you to see assholes. You need more magnification for that.