• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought mine last April. It has the NP3 bolt carrier and the single extractor bolt. It has the newer upper with the bump on the left side. Im about to swap out the 16 chrome for a 18 ss...Is everybody thats running the 18ss getting some carrier tilt? </div></div>

I've had my MWS for nearly two months, and I think I am getting carrier tilt out of my 16" chrome-lined MWS. One side of the bolt is hitting the lip of the receiver extension causing the bolt coating to fall off. So far, I'm not too happy.

The most favorite part of my rifle right now is my Atlas bipod
frown.gif

MWS with 20" Noveske 6.5CM results with KAC lower (preban since i'm in CT), 9mm heavy buffer, DPMS BCG, and Geissele Service Rifle trigger. Best of those 4 five shot groups is 0.65". 120 Lapua Scenars over dropped Varget. The high shot on the bottom left target was the cold bore shot. Still looking to find a load and improve technique so that most 5 shot groups are under an inch.

Fam5.jpg

Fam2.jpg

Fam4.jpg

Hey jasonusvi,
So you've had no problems using a DPMS BCG in your MWS?
I'm assuming your Noveske barrel was modified so it can be installed in the MWS.
I've been looking for info on whether a DPMS BCG would work in a LMT MWS. You are the first person to report using one successfully.
Did you just try it out, or did you know for sure that it's compatible before shooting with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey jasonusvi,
So you've had no problems using a DPMS BCG in your MWS?
I'm assuming your Noveske barrel was modified so it can be installed in the MWS.
I've been looking for info on whether a DPMS BCG would work in a LMT MWS. You are the first person to report using one successfully.
Did you just try it out, or did you know for sure that it's compatible before shooting with it?
</div></div>

When I sent the barrel to DBMG for conversion I did not send my BCG (or bolt alone)...perhaps I should have. I was planning to get a complete AR10 BCG to match with the Noveske AR10 extension but happened to have a spare DPMS BCG from an LR308 upper I sold. When I got the barrel back from DBMG I found that the complete DPMS headspaced correctly while my complete LMT did not. The DPMS works perfectly well.

Separately, I'm using a JP Enhanced bolt with my LMT Carrier for the 308 barrel while keeping the original as a spare.

I noticed that you have a 1st gen MWS. Have you noticed any carrier tilt, or chrome flaking off your BCG?

When you head spaced the DPMS BCG, what tools did you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it the consensus of the MWS clique that the Giessele triggers will fit and function in the MWS with no problem? (Wonder how you pronounce that, anyway...)
</div></div>

yes they will. done many of them. sent many rounds down range. no issues. the geissele hammer/spring has plenty of mass to avoid light primer strikes in even the hardest large rifle primers. done lots of trigger testing and have experienced zero issues with lack of detonation. hope this helps...

pronounced "guys - lee"

here you go if you want to buy one:

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2757826#Post2757826

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you find the LMT, for an excellent price ?

I want the stainless barrel. I believe that is the 5R barrel ?

I would also like the British specs.

What wholesaler, has the best price ?

Thanks </div></div>

You could always try LMT4cheaperthandirt.com I got a SS barrel all setup with 6x acog and tan furniture for 1500 brand new.

There is a new type buffer that prevents carrier tilt. You might want to buy one of those.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought mine last April. It has the NP3 bolt carrier and the single extractor bolt. It has the newer upper with the bump on the left side. Im about to swap out the 16 chrome for a 18 ss...Is everybody thats running the 18ss getting some carrier tilt? </div></div>

I've had my MWS for nearly two months, and I think I am getting carrier tilt out of my 16" chrome-lined MWS. One side of the bolt is hitting the lip of the receiver extension causing the bolt coating to fall off. So far, I'm not too happy.

The most favorite part of my rifle right now is my Atlas bipod
frown.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you find the LMT, for an excellent price ?

What wholesaler, has the best price ?</div></div>

I'm MWS hunting also. I too would appreciate a heads-up for the least expensive place to purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is a new type buffer that prevents carrier tilt. You might want to buy one of those.</div></div>

Do you mean the HeavyBuffers.com anti-tilt buffer? Unfortunately, I went ahead and bought a rifle length receiver extension and a normal rifle heavy buffer. I sent my entire BCG to LMT. I'm hoping the fixed one won't have any issues.

The MWS is very front heavy. The SOP-MOD stock is also a little difficult to use off the bench. I looked at other collapsible stocks, but I didn't like them so I thought that I would try out a PRS or A1 style stock.

Did it work well for you?

I really like having the original stock as it is adjustable. It works well for me so I can adjust for eye relief depending on the power setting on the old NF or whether I'm prone or standing. Puts my eye right where I need it to be so I don't have to crawl up the stock.

The LMT is a pussycat (recoil wise) so no issue with getting a half moon over your eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is a new type buffer that prevents carrier tilt. You might want to buy one of those.</div></div>

Do you mean the HeavyBuffers.com anti-tilt buffer? Unfortunately, I went ahead and bought a rifle length receiver extension and a normal rifle heavy buffer. I sent my entire BCG to LMT. I'm hoping the fixed one won't have any issues. </div></div>

This
http://firearmreadysolutions.com/
tn_1200_IMG_0679.jpg.jpg

tn_1200_17.jpg.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did it work well for you?

I really like having the original stock as it is adjustable. It works well for me so I can adjust for eye relief depending on the power setting on the old NF or whether I'm prone or standing. Puts my eye right where I need it to be so I don't have to crawl up the stock.

The LMT is a pussycat (recoil wise) so no issue with getting a half moon over your eye. </div></div>

I reread my last post, and it sounded like I disliked the Sopmod. It's an excellent stock.

The PRS stock was a nice, well made polymer stock. It was nice for bench shooting. Unfortunately, it made the entire rifle heavier and somewhat awkward. The adjustment knobs were ridiculously stiff. The cheek piece was very far back.

The A1 was simple, and had a nice length of pull, but I couldn't square myself up like I could with a collapsible stock.

I'm thinking about going back to the Sopmod. If I get a 16" Noveske barrel converted by DBMG, I will be able to approximately drop 1 pound off the front of the rifle, and be able to square up behind it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you mean the HeavyBuffers.com anti-tilt buffer? Unfortunately, I went ahead and bought a rifle length receiver extension and a normal rifle heavy buffer. I sent my entire BCG to LMT. I'm hoping the fixed one won't have any issues. </div></div>

This
</div></div>

I'll definitely have to take a closer look at anti-tilt buffer if tilting continues to be a problem.

Why would the MWS exhibit signs of carrier tilt? With the gas operating system acting like a DI AR-15, isn't the gas effect in a horizontal plane to the upper receiver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you find the LMT, for an excellent price ?

I would also like the British specs.

What wholesaler, has the best price ?

Thanks </div></div>

You could always try LMT4cheaperthandirt.com I got a SS barrel all setup with 6x acog and tan furniture for 1500 brand new.</div></div>

That link didn't really get me anywhere..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would the MWS exhibit signs of carrier tilt? With the gas operating system acting like a DI AR-15, isn't the gas effect in a horizontal plane to the upper receiver? </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking. "Carrier Tilt" is mostly prevalent in piston guns. The gas acts on the piston and the piston acts on the top of the carrier key. The result is a peened lower receiver buffer tube. This is carrier tilt.

With D.I guns the gas goes INTO the key, INTO the bolt carrier and acts directly on the bolt carrier itself which is in line with the recoil assembly. Bolt carrier group go straight back under recoil, generally speaking.

What you're calling carrier tilt is simply regular wear on the face of the buffer (gouges that you can feel with your finger) and buffer tube. The gun is running fine. Some D.I guns gouge the buffer more than others depending totally on that specific rifle being over/under gassed. And while nicks on the buffer tube are uncommon in DI guns, it happens, and could technically be called "carrier tilt". But it's not enough to be considered a problem or does it warrant the need for "anti-tilt" buffers IMO. Carrier tilt in certain piston AR's are A LOT more profound and poses a problem in certain rifles hence the "anti-tilt" buffers and re-designed carriers in piston guns.

I'm not having any problems with the buffer or the face of the buffer.

I posted a pic of the buffer tube. This is a CMT/Stag rifle length extension after a 100 rounds. It's a problem for me because I'm getting debris in my trigger. My BCG has been in limbo at LMT for two weeks now, but when I get it back I am going to use the original receiver extension and see how that works.

Buffertubewear.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody has a clue, where to buy the LMT with the 5R stainless barrel, for a good price ? </div></div>

You can buy it wherever you want provided that place is LMT /jk. It's a proprietary barrel and it unfortunately costs $700.

I have seen some threads where people have sent Noveske barrels to DBMG to get them converted for use in the MWS. I'm thinking about doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not having any problems with the buffer or the face of the buffer.

I posted a pic of the buffer tube. This is a CMT/Stag rifle length extension after a 100 rounds. It's a problem for me because I'm getting debris in my trigger. My BCG has been in limbo at LMT for two weeks now, but when I get it back I am going to use the original receiver extension and see how that works.

Buffertubewear.jpg
</div></div>

Is the factory (carbine) buffer tube marked up like that? If not then the problem is with either the rifle extension (which I doubt) or the buffer/spring are wrong (too light).

When I first bought the rifle, I dry fired it, held it, and decided that I wanted a rifle stock. I haven't fired it in the original configuration. I can't imagine the buffer tube being the culprit. I am using a heavybuffers.com 10 ounce heavy buffer with an AR-10 buffer spring. I am pretty sure that is heavy enough.

I'm going to go back to the collapsible stock and give it a fair shake.

Yeah you sound good to go with the buffer/spring and rifle tube.

It's just that the phenomenon of "carrier tilt" while not at all impossible in a DI gas gun, it rarely ever occurs to the point of it becoming a problem. Piston AR's are different and the carrier tilt phenomenon is worse in some cases to the point where neglect may lead to a failure, hence the "anti-tilt" buffers and such.

Anyhow, you said LMT has your carrier so when they send it back to you try it out with the LMT buffer/tube for 100 rounds to see if it's still interfering. Hopefully it doesn't, then switch it out with the rifle ext/heavy buffer and run it again.

hth

My LMT MWS with one of my MRP's... I really like this system!

dsc0368om.jpg

LMT MWS - 16" Chrome Lined barrel
Trijicon TA11 ACOG (308 BDC)
Magpul MIAD and ACS

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but will be able to in a few months...

What is the best tool to clean the carbon crust off of the rear of the bolt?
My pocket knife wants to scratch it. Thanks...

On another subject, I loaded some 110 gr. Sierra bullets with RL-15 yesterday and shot a .6 in. (100 yd.)group this PM w/ minimum recoil. MWS functioned perfectly.

I think I remember somewhere up the forum about the coating coming off of the bolt carrier. Mine is flaking off in several places. Has anyone contacted LMT about this and has anyone had any stoppages, or other problems from this? Thanks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried bronze wool? </div></div>

Where can I find bronze-wool?

Does anyone know a dealer who is already set-up with LMT, that will give a good price ?

What is the current (wholesale) price, for the complete rig, with the 16" 5R stainless barrel ? I believe it retails for $3500 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know a dealer who is already set-up with LMT, that will give a good price ?

What is the current (wholesale) price, for the complete rig, with the 16" 5R stainless barrel ? I believe it retails for $3500 ?

</div></div>

I've got a used one with 30 rounds through it I am going to sell. PM for price.

It's down at the ranch, and I dont have time to get it for 2-3 weeks, but I'll post it up here once I do.

Nearly a month after I sent the bolt in, I finally get it back. Then I put the new bolt in and now I can't get upper and lower to fit. I must be horribly unlucky.

Your upper and lower won't close? I know you are doing it correctly, unbelievable.
I feel your pain, played round and round with USO over a mount. 2 weeks turned into a month. Just sent it back, got tired of playing. Went with rings. Good luck on this one, I'd like to hear what's going on. I've got 2, they run well.

When I have the front take down in, and swing down the rear there is a hang up and can't fully close the rifle.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? Is the bolt too long?

Shot mine today for the first time. 5 round groups with FGMM 7.62x51 175grain SMK got me 1.1 MOA w/ 16" CL barrel. 10 round group got me 4.3 MOA with Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ. Used bipod & sandsock, shot from prone w/ old Leupold 4.5-14 tactical in Larue mount.

Nope, it doesn't help. I just recently went from a rifle length extension back to the original carbine buffer tube. The only modifications to the rifle is a Noveske QD end plate, Battle Arms Development safety, and a Geissele trigger. Would these modifications create a problem? I wouldn't think so, but who knows?

Please dont take this the wrong way, but we are all trouble shooting remotely.

Take the carrier out and then try closing the upper to lower, do you get the same issue...

Make sure the hammer is cocked and safety on...

Completely inspect the assembled bolt and carrier and make sure it "looks right"....

Make sure the bolt is fully extended before installing the carrier....

Make sure the bolt and carrier are fulling installed/seated, make sure you hear the "click" when fully seated....

wilcox, This rifle is capable of much better accuracy than what you are posting. Something is wrong if that is all you are getting out of yours. If you dont reload maybe try some of the Hornady SST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope doesn't help. I just recently went from a rifle length extension back to the original carbine buffer tube. The only modifications to the rifle is a Noveske QD end plate, Battle Arms Development safety. Would these modifications create a problem? I would think so, but who knows? </div></div>

Call Gene at LMT, He will get you going or help you out if it needs to go back. The customer support with LMT is as good as I have seen. Sometimes with a problem like this the fix is a simple overlooked issue.

How do I tell if a rifle is a recent production with the updated BCG? I found an incredible deal on one and I'm going to buy it if its the current model.

Also any other issues other than the BCG anyone is aware of? Any other differences between current and early production?