• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Are most of you keeping the OEM pistol grip?

That darn plug comes out the bottom on occassion. Thinking about just supergluing it in or pulling the SOB off for good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are most of you keeping the OEM pistol grip?

That darn plug comes out the bottom on occassion. Thinking about just supergluing it in or pulling the SOB off for good. </div></div>

Are you keeping anything in the pistol grip or is it empty?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LMT-MWS-18SS0001.jpg

LMT-MWS-18SS-PRVI1680001.jpg

Got my rifle back a month or so ago, haven't had a chance to shot it till today. Just made sure I was on paper and shot these groups to see if POI changed.

1Cm squares.

I'd say it is a 3cm rifle.
wink.gif

LMT MWS with 18in SS barrel and 168 FGMM and PRVI ammo. Geissele Match trigger, Premier 3-15 MIL-Dot, PRS Stock and Slashes Heavy Buffer (like solid SS steel).

I think this is going to work. Kudos to LMT on working with me on my first SS barrel which had some machining marks just past the throat. This barrel is a thing of beauty. I think the LMTs are overgassed and the heavy, solid buffer from slash works just fine. Probably 120 rounds fired and no issues at all. I think the heavy buffer makes it just that bit more comfortable and managable to shoot.

These are the best groups I shot with both ammos. In more groups, the FGMM is more consistent than the PRVI. I also ran some PMC Bronze, that I mistakenly thought was PRVI. It is not as accurate as the PRVI, with groups opening up about at 1.5x.

Still getting used to the 308AR. Shot my hopped up JP 556 upper after this and it felt like a BB gun. Just learning to be the MWS master and not its bitch. I like it because it exposes flaws in my fundamentals that can be over looked and masked when shooting lighter recoiling guns.

Just joined a range that goes to 1000 yards with sillhoutte targets. Ummmm, fun to be had. </div></div>

Would that be Colorado Rifle Club, north of Denver? I just moved to the area and have considered checking that one out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, doing the orientation in a few weeks and look forward to playing hookey from work during a weekday and getting some shooting done. Weekends are just getting crazy with kids stuff. </div></div>

Right on, maybe I will see you up there. They do PR matches on steel every fourth Saturday I think. If I can get some new loads worked up with my new reloading setup I will probably go in October. Would love to see that MWS in person!

could anyone help me with a problem Im having with my LR308 jamming? its closing on the fired casing. Its chambered in 7mm08, im using an aac 762sd can, changed to milspec tube with Magpul ctr from oem A2, slashes XH CAR10 buffer and spring. Sometimes it will run good ive cleaned it meticulously and it still does it about every 5-10 rounds. Any ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are all of the MWS receivers marked "LM308MWS", regardless of whether they are the CL or SS version? </div></div>

Mine is. Shipped as a CL and now is a SS

Since it is a switch barrel rifle, to configure any barrel at the factory only takes a minute, literally. Different receiver markings wouldn't help anything.

The LMT website lists two designations: LM308MWSE for the .308 Modular Weapon System, 16" Chrome Lined barrel model, and LM308MWSF for the .308 Modular Weapon System, 16" Stainless Steel Flat Matte barrel model.

It appears that the last letter designates the factory installed barrel.

I don't know where people are getting their chrome lined barrels for $2200 dollars. But if you are able to find a deal like that and purchase the stainless steel barrel from LMT, you will end up with two barrels for less than the cost of a MWSF.

I'm seeing $2300+tax for the E 16" CL. The 16" SS F is running $3000. I'm wondering if the SS barrel is worth the extra $700. The CL shoots like a dream, better than I hoped for. They aren't bench rifles, I'm pretty happy and the price is hard to beat. They are a little heavy, but are very compact. Sweet rifles.

I recently picked up a new E CL 16" for $2200 + $20 shipping + transfer - new model (updated ejectors, deflector, barrel etc). I would expect a SS equivalent to go for $2750 (give or take)- assuming the "same deal"...

***update - I can't spell***

My Cl barrel is what I would consider very accurate. I honestly think that the difference between the CL and SS at 100yds is going to be an 1/8". Whether or not it is worth the extra money is for you to decide. I personally feel that they are plenty accurate with the CL barrel. I will try and shoot a few groups and post them up for reference.

The SS barrel would be nice but in my opinion I would take the extra $700 and put it towards a nicer scope. I upgraded from a nightforce to an S&B and think the money was wisely spent.

^^^^^^^^^
That's what I'm talking about. Maybe if you were going with the 20" tube and long range was most of your shooting. Both of my MWS' are 16"CL, USO SN-3s, waaaay less than $5k per, that's rings, sling, bipod, etc.

What do we do with all of the clunky LMT iron sights? If things go as planned this week, I'll have a nice little pile.

FS: 3 sets of LMT irons, make offer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^^^^^^
That's what I'm talking about. Maybe if you were going with the 20" tube and long range was most of your shooting. Both of my MWS' are 16"CL, USO SN-3s, waaaay less than $5k per, that's rings, sling, bipod, etc.

What do we do with all of the clunky LMT iron sights? If things go as planned this week, I'll have a nice little pile.

FS: 3 sets of LMT irons, make offer!

</div></div>

Out of the kindness of my heart, I'll take one set off your hands. I'll pay the S&H and even a little something for your trouble
wink.gif

I typed up "Surefire FH762K05" into google, and a found a few stores, but they have no reviews.

Knesekguns Flash Hider Link

I have never purchased from them before.

I just read a thread in the bolt gun forum about a guy had serious problems with KGI. You may not want to buy from there.

This is the first 10 shot group from my new 20" SS. I called one flyer so I sent another. I'm not sure about the 2 shots out of the group. I probably shanked them but I didn't call them. I'm thinking the barrel has some potential...

175smk_100yd_varget.jpg

Checked a couple loads this evening in my 16" SS MWS.

Very pleased with the results, and FWIW the rifle could do better. You can tell by the groups the shooter is lacking.

I am shooting a match in couple weeks with shots out to 800-1000yds. I know this is stretching the 16" barrel, but any one have any reason to not go with the amax?

175smk load over 44gr varget: 2500 FPS
100yd175smk.jpg

178amax over 44gr varget, one shooter error: 2475fps
178amax100yd10rd.jpg

Made it out to do some long range shooting with my MWS, using the 178gr amax. It goes without saying, but this rifle shoots very well and is easily my favorite rifle.

Video
MWS at 650yds

100_2200.jpg

600yd group
178amax650ydsinfo.jpg

650yd group from the video, round to the right was a sighter before the video
178amax650yds.jpg

I'm thinking about getting either one of these or a Larue OBR. Anyone that has the MWS prefer it over the OBR or vice versa?

I've had .3 moa groups out of the obr but have never shot the MWS

I own a MWS and have some time with a OBR. I honestly couldn't pick one over the other, they are both great rifles. The OBR is a little lighter which is the only benefit I see for one over the other.

The reason I chose the mws is simply because of the barrel swap feature. The ability to change length and caliber is great. It may or may not shoot as well as an obr, but it holds 1moa which is as good as I feel I can shoot for the time being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 375snot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about getting either one of these or a Larue OBR. Anyone that has the MWS prefer it over the OBR or vice versa?

I've had .3 moa groups out of the obr but have never shot the MWS </div></div>

.3moa groups???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 375snot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about getting either one of these or a Larue OBR. Anyone that has the MWS prefer it over the OBR or vice versa?

I've had .3 moa groups out of the obr but have never shot the MWS </div></div>

I have not fired the OBR, but I believe they are both quality 308 rifles that offer different feature sets. I was able to hold a base model OBR at a local gunstore yesterday.

MWS features

Monolithic 1-piece rail platform
Quick change barrel with tools included. Minimal to no impact shift .
Choice of excellent chrome line (MSRP $2,827), or stainless steel barrel (MSRP $3,363)
LMT 2 stage trigger
LMT A2 fixed back up sights
1 Knights Armament SR25 magazine
Ergo tactical grip
LMT Sopmod stock.

OBR features

20 MOA canted top rail
Easy to grip, modular, and rounded hand guard
2 position gas block for normal and suppressed fire
Stainless steel barrel ($2,999)
Geissele SSA trigger
2 Larue tactical M110 (SR25 pattern) magazines.
PRI gas buster charging handle (the example I held in my local store yesterday had this)
A2 grip
A2 stock

The price of both rifles seem comparable, however quite a few people in this thread have been able to find their chrome lined MWS for $2200, and stainless steel model for $2500. I believe the OBR is only available through one vendor, and is $2999.

Another thing to consider is the 30 moa rail on the OBR. It raises the height of the rail, which requires a different cheek weld (chin weld?), and you may need an adjustable stock like a Magpul PRS stock, or if you want a carbine, a Magpul CTR stock with in-line cheek riser. Both will add cost to the rifle.

The OBR does come with the test target, and implied guarantee that it will shoot sub MOA. I believe their test targets are either 3 or 5 shot groups. There is no doubt the OBR is accurate, but I don’t think a .3 moa group will be easily repeatable with even cherry picked 3 shot groups. It will be even more difficult with 5 round, and 10 shot groups.
If you look through this thread, you will find many examples of excellent real world, 10 shot groups for the MWS.

Another thing that isn't important, but cool to note is the differences in the bolt carrier group. I believe the OBR uses a standard cotter pin, and has a spring for the firing pin.

The LMT has a retained firing pin retaining pin, and doesn't have a spring for the firing pin. Very easy to disassemble, and less loose parts to worry about.

The barrel swap feature has my drawn my attention towards LMTs recently. It makes a lot more sense to me at least to stock different length barrels than complete uppers. And from performance standpoint, I am very impressed so say the least.

It's hard to justify the diff. in price of an SR-25 EMC when the LMT shoots like this, or the SR-25 EMR when the LMT with the 20" tube shoots this well. The EMC is a sweet rifle, and the little details make a strong argument, but it's approx. $2k more. That puts a new USO scope on your rifle as well. That's a strong argument.
Knight does a nice job with their BUIS set-up.
The OBR is a fine rifle. The two that I have shot were sweet, great trigger, the A2 fits me fine, yes heavy compared to say a JP LRP-07, felt just as heavy as the LMT.
For $3k, it's a deal too.
I'm shooting my .308 AR's more than my .223's. Going in the morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New paint and a new can.

securedownload4.jpg

</div></div>

Looks awesome!

You using a carbine length tube with slashes ar10 buffer? I'm thinking of going the shorter tube route myself.

That is an excellent coat job. It looks completely different than before.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go to the shorter carbine tube? Was it for the shorter length of pull?

Is anyone using P-mags with their rifle? I own one, and it has been reliable, but my magazine doesn't drop free when I hit the mag release. Is this normal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is an excellent coat job. It looks completely different than before.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go to the shorter carbine tube? Was it for the shorter length of pull?

Is anyone using P-mags with their rifle? I own one, and it has been reliable, but my magazine doesn't drop free when I hit the mag release. Is this normal? </div></div>

I switched to a PRS stock for a while. I didn't like the weight of it, and didn't need the adjustable cheek weld. When I had the PRS I sold the LMT buffer and tube. When I decieded to switch back to the ACS, I just used a regular length buffer tube instead of trying to hunt down a LMT one. I do like it better because the stock collapses all the way in.

I run strictly PMAGs in mine. No problems with them not dropping free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is anyone using P-mags with their rifle? I own one, and it has been reliable, but my magazine doesn't drop free when I hit the mag release. Is this normal?

</div></div>

Mine runs fine with Pmags. They drop free from my lower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I switched to a PRS stock for a while. I didn't like the weight of it, and didn't need the adjustable cheek weld. When I had the PRS I sold the LMT buffer and tube. When I decieded to switch back to the ACS, I just used a regular length buffer tube instead of trying to hunt down a LMT one. I do like it better because the stock collapses all the way in.

I run strictly PMAGs in mine. No problems with them not dropping free. </div></div>

Have you talked to Magpul? They have new LR20 mag bodies due to issues with early (IIRC) MWS recievers. I had issues with what seemed liked over insertion not allowing the bolt to drop and the mag sticking in the reciever. Give them a call.

I received my Gen 2 MWS today. You might be interested to know that mine actually shipped with a PMag. I also recently purchased 5 other new PMags from a vendor on the GB site. All 6 of my mags drop cleanly from the rifle and have a very nice fit. I will be sure to put pictures up and give a full range report on functionality etc when I get a chance to get out.

Also, I ordered a Magpul PRS stock, and in all my infinite wisdom, I did not realize that I needed a new buffer tube instead of the one with the spacer on it. Any ideas of where to get a good quality tube with a buffer and spring?

I went with the rifle length PRS stock on my rifle for a while. I used a Stag/CMT rifle length with a heavybuffers.com 10 ounce buffer and Armalite buffer spring. That was a pretty expensive option.