• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nearly a month after I sent the bolt in, I finally get it back. Then I put the new bolt in and now I can't get upper and lower to fit. I must be horribly unlucky. </div></div>

If its the old style carrier you have to remove the magazine to close the 2 halves (upper/lower).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also is there anything WRONG with the gen 1? </div></div>

Thats a tough question. For some it works and for some it has issues.

Mine had an FTJ issue that they seemed to fix so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please dont take this the wrong way, but we are all trouble shooting remotely.

Take the carrier out and then try closing the upper to lower, do you get the same issue...

Make sure the hammer is cocked and safety on...

Completely inspect the assembled bolt and carrier and make sure it "looks right"....

Make sure the bolt is fully extended before installing the carrier....

Make sure the bolt and carrier are fulling installed/seated, make sure you hear the "click" when fully seated....

77 </div></div>

I'm thankful for any advice or suggestions that you can give.

When I take the carrier out, the upper and lower fit.

If I have the carrier in, and the buffer/spring out, the upper and lower will not fit.

If have the barrel out, and the carrier and buffer in, the upper and lower will fit.

During all the steps I made sure the hammer was cocked and the safety on. I dropped in the bolt carrier group as it was delivered from LMT. I disassembled it and reassembled it according to the manual and went through the process again.

When I have all the parts in, it just won't fit. I had Rainier Arms reinstall my original carbine buffer tube. That was back when I still didn't have a bolt carrier group. They know their AR's, I'm pretty sure they installed it correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope doesn't help. I just recently went from a rifle length extension back to the original carbine buffer tube. The only modifications to the rifle is a Noveske QD end plate, Battle Arms Development safety. Would these modifications create a problem? I would think so, but who knows? </div></div>

Call Gene at LMT, He will get you going or help you out if it needs to go back. The customer support with LMT is as good as I have seen. Sometimes with a problem like this the fix is a simple overlooked issue. </div></div>

I'm a little afraid. I have a few modifications to the rifle, that could cause me to get no service, or worse blacklisted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nearly a month after I sent the bolt in, I finally get it back. Then I put the new bolt in and now I can't get upper and lower to fit. I must be horribly unlucky. </div></div>

If its the old style carrier you have to remove the magazine to close the 2 halves (upper/lower). </div></div>

My old bolt and new bolt look to be the new type with lightening cuts, exposed carrier for wider triggers, and rounded carrier end. Thank you for the information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also is there anything WRONG with the gen 1? </div></div>

Thats a tough question. For some it works and for some it has issues.

Mine had an FTJ issue that they seemed to fix so far. </div></div>

Well I went ahead and bought it. Got it for $2220 shipped on gunbroker. The dealer told me they have several and even though the picture clearly showed the brass deflector of a gen1 upper he assured me I would be getting a gen 2 with new bolt too.

ROUS, They are either going to black list you or not. If you are worried about calling them and dont plan to it doesnt matter anyway. They understand that people personalize their products and will probably be cool with what you have done. If they do not feel the modifications are safe then they will proably try and assist you to to make everything right. That is what defines good customer service in my book.

A problem is a problem, and if they want you to buy another LMT, or tell all your friends about how great of a company and product they have, then they will take care of you. Just my thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many of you guys run the iron sights that they ship with the rifles? I'm on the hunt for one of those fixed rear sights. </div></div>

I won't be using mine. I'm planning on selling them when my rifle comes in if your interested.

I was able to make it out sunday night to practice up with my mws and work up a 155 scenar load.

All the dryfiring and online training videos are really helping. I was able to spend my time at the 200yd line, which was a really exciting time. As of late, I have been fighting follow through issues combined with the fact that I was not pulling the rifle into my shoulder. This trip I started to pull rearward and the groups hovered right around 1moa all day. The most exciting thing was about half way through the range session I realized I was seeing just a split second of my own trace. It was looking like the target was blowing around right after the shot broke and it finally occured to me that was my trace from that shot.

Anyway, I started to load develop with the 155gr scenar and varget powder. Using larue mags I was able to get a OAL of about 2.85". Starting at 43 grs and working up to 45 in .5gr increments gave mixed results. All of the loads were right around 1.5-2moa except for 44gr and 44.5grs.

44gr:
100_2190.jpg

44.5 grs:
100_2189.jpg

I pulled the shot low right in the last pic due to focusing on follow through and not trigger pull. Even with that bad shot I am very excited about the potential it looks like the scenars have in my barrel. I'm hoping they will shoot that well to 800yds or so with a velocity of 2575fps. I plan to get out this weekend and shoot some 10 round groups and maybe some longer range testing.

What optics are you guys running on your LMT .308 MWSE's? I have researched and analyzed to the point that I'm more confused then when I started.

I want to use it as a Sharpshooter/Hunting Rifle. Sharpshooter out to about 800yds. I think the Brits are issuing the L19A1 with a Trijicon TA648RMR-308: ACOG 6x48 w/RM02-33. Please reply with what you're using and why. Maybe it will help me figure out what I'm going to go with.

Thanks for the advice,

Tom

I have two scopes on mine.

A 5.5-22x50 NPR1 NF on a Larue 50BMG base for varmint and hayfield use:

LMT-NF.jpg

A Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 with Warne QD rings for tree stand, truck and movement. I had this retrofitted with the CDS dials:
LMT-Leupy.jpg

They are both QD. To be honest, the jury is still out as I have not had a chance to unmount and remount yet. I plan to leave the 1.5-5 on there 90% of the time and only use the NF for prairie dogs or hog hunting over our hay fields. My friend and cousin both have the Larue rings and swear they hold their zero, BUT that remains to be seen from my perspective.

Its not really a crisis as the 200 meter range is actually 4 minutes from my route home so to drop by and confirm zero after swapping out is not really a challenge before I go hunting the next day. I'm used to that though as we used to confirm zero even with iron sights before every patrol on the DMZ (obviously overkill as the irons never changed but SOP is what it is).

That said, I'm a Civvie now and my attitude might be different if I was downrange. Would be nervous about it being reliable enough for a swap-out and then betting someone's life on a 1200 meter cold bore shot before confirming zero. I'm NO sniper nor have I have ever been, just an ex infantry Plt Ldr who has been known to shoot straight on occasion if the wind is fair and the appropriate prayers were said.

By the way, mine easilly holds .75 moa (at 100 so far) with 168 FGMMHP using the standard 16 inch CL. But that's with a sample of about 4 groups only so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROUS, They are either going to black list you or not. If you are worried about calling them and dont plan to it doesnt matter anyway. They understand that people personalize their products and will probably be cool with what you have done. If they do not feel the modifications are safe then they will proably try and assist you to to make everything right. That is what defines good customer service in my book.

A problem is a problem, and if they want you to buy another LMT, or tell all your friends about how great of a company and product they have, then they will take care of you. Just my thoughts. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROUS,

This may not be the right question, but what did you modify to impact the fit up? This does not make sense

77 </div></div>

I got sick of the issues, and sold the rifle. I went out and purchased a Gen 1 MWSE. I was comparing Gen1 and other Gen 2 MWS to my problem rifle, and saw that my rifle build quality wasn't as good as other rifles I inspected.

Hopefully, you guys won't have to listen to me list my complaints in the future.

I've been able to shoot 1" groups with my 16"cl barrel with both 168s and 177s, some are 3/4". Not bad for a rifle that is considered a combat weapon, not a bench rifle. It's beefy, seems well made, I really like the LMT. Paid $2300 for it. U.S. made, hard to beat.

I have never kept up with the intricate details of Gen 1, Gen 2, hell, I did not know that LMT was working on different generations of the MWS. Does it matter what you have in terms of reliability/durability? All I can tell you is this thing is a shooter, 300+ rounds down the barrel to date and not one issue, nothing.

My lower serial is a 10XXXX and the upper is 2 serial number, I purchased it in January 2011

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never kept up with the intricate details of Gen 1, Gen 2, hell, I did not know that LMT was working on different generations of the MWS. Does it matter what you have in terms of reliability/durability? All I can tell you is this thing is a shooter, 300+ rounds down the barrel to date and not one issue, nothing.

My lower serial is a 10XXXX and the upper is 2 serial number, I purchased it in January 2011 </div></div>

Yeah, the version isn't that important. I just got super frustrated and thought it mattered. There have been a few incremental changes, but nothing major. I just like the smoother lines of the earlier models.

I was able to make today a range day, and sent 200 rounds down range.

It was a mix of
150 grain American Eagle 7.62*51
168 grain American Eagle 7.62x51
150 grain Remington 308 Core-lockt
180 grain Remington 308 Core-lockt

I am happy to report no malfunctions. I am also a terrible shot, so I will need to practice more.

There was also no carrier tilt, and no bolt flaking.

No, wait. Issue discovered. After cleaning, it looks like all my shell casings are hitting the receiver where the dustcover goes before it hits the shell deflector.

LMT-MWS-18SS0001.jpg

LMT-MWS-18SS-PRVI1680001.jpg

Got my rifle back a month or so ago, haven't had a chance to shot it till today. Just made sure I was on paper and shot these groups to see if POI changed.

1Cm squares.

I'd say it is a 3cm rifle.
wink.gif

LMT MWS with 18in SS barrel and 168 FGMM and PRVI ammo. Geissele Match trigger, Premier 3-15 MIL-Dot, PRS Stock and Slashes Heavy Buffer (like solid SS steel).

I think this is going to work. Kudos to LMT on working with me on my first SS barrel which had some machining marks just past the throat. This barrel is a thing of beauty. I think the LMTs are overgassed and the heavy, solid buffer from slash works just fine. Probably 120 rounds fired and no issues at all. I think the heavy buffer makes it just that bit more comfortable and managable to shoot.

These are the best groups I shot with both ammos. In more groups, the FGMM is more consistent than the PRVI. I also ran some PMC Bronze, that I mistakenly thought was PRVI. It is not as accurate as the PRVI, with groups opening up about at 1.5x.

Still getting used to the 308AR. Shot my hopped up JP 556 upper after this and it felt like a BB gun. Just learning to be the MWS master and not its bitch. I like it because it exposes flaws in my fundamentals that can be over looked and masked when shooting lighter recoiling guns.

Just joined a range that goes to 1000 yards with sillhoutte targets. Ummmm, fun to be had.

Outstanding post brother, and holy shit if you didn't just post a real man's group...10rds is what sets the men apart from the kiddies in my book.

Since you shot such a fantastic group...I figured it deserved to have an actual measurement. You need to measure those nice groups in the future though so that your results can be interpreted much easier and definitively.
icml5f.jpg

Not to shabby my friend, keep up the great shooting and reports as I enjoy reading them:)

I'm sorry to interrupt, but this is a picture of wear I found on my receiver. It looks like shells are hitting the receiver instead of the shell deflector. Is this a serious issue?

L1000520.jpg

Picked up mine yesterday AM. This thing is a tank, by far the most solid AR I've had yet. I love the upper and lower fit, not so tight you have to beat it together but tight enough theres no play between the upper and lower.

Getting ready to load up and go shoot it now. I picked up 140 rounds of PMC FMJ to break the barrel in (just shoot, not that retarded shoot one clean one crap) and then I'm going to see what it will do with FGMM. My friend is letting me use his NF F1 in a unimount to test accuracy.

6394bb9b.jpg

Joy - welcome to the koolaide club!

All of a sudden all your other weapons become obsolete, except the shotgun, subgun, dangerous game rifle & heavy bolt gun.

Try a Pmag too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROUS,are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? </div></div>

I only shot factory ammunition. I used ammunition with bullet grain weights of 150, 168, and 180.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That mark should not be there. It probably not a big deal but just to be safe it may be worth a call to LMT. Is the brass bouncing forwards or landing to your side? </div></div>

I gave a call to LMT 2 times, but I seemed to have missed the people that would handle firearm issues. Things must be pretty busy at LMT.

Most of my brass was launching toward 1 o'clock. I noticed a few rounds launching toward 3 o'clock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has put a can on their mws? Any issues cycling or other? What barrel/gas tube are you running? Thanks. </div></div>

I have with a 16 CL and carbine gastube and stock gas block. Worked well but this is my first supressed semi auto and I am just not use to the amount of gas that makes it way into everything when running it supressed. I may end up with the Tubb CWS or a ADJ gas block or both time will tell.

Dustin

I have mine suppressed on a 16" CL with factory gas block. It works well but an adjustable gas block would be worth the money. I had to drop my loads way down to shoot suppressed. Honestly it would be a lot easier and better to run it unsuppressed. I have not chronographed any of my current loads but I think the velocity is a little low for longer ranges (600yards +)

Cycling is great. Its not a bad idea to make sure you are wearing safety glasses when shooting an AR suppressed, lots of gas blow back into your eyes. Ill try and post a pic in the next few days.

I got a call into LMT today. I was told that empty brass hitting the receiver isn't a problem. I was really hoping they could help me.

I got a JP Enterprises 308 bolt today with the hope to use it as a backup bolt. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the LMT firing pin.

R.O.U.S. I have a DPMS LR308 and my friend does also. We both also have that problem. Not 100% sure about his gone though. I assume it must be a semi .308 thing. I called DPMS and they told me not to worry about it. Hope that helps. Picture included so you know I am not bsing you about owning them. This is before the new optics, triggers, grips, and pmags

11h4h6o.jpg

Thanks. Since it's a new rifle I got anxious whenever I saw something that may have been a problem. I need to worry less, and get to the range more often.

Ralph, try Midwest PX (easy find on Google). Ty is an LMT dealer and provides great customer service. Just took delivery of an MWS from him and couldn't be happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ralph, try Midwest PX (easy find on Google). Ty is an LMT dealer and provides great customer service. Just took delivery of an MWS from him and couldn't be happier. </div></div>

Matt,

I will give him a ring and mention your name.

Thank you for the response.

Ralph

I got mine from Ed's Sport Shop in PA. They're selling the 16" chrome lined ones for $2200 + shipping ($20 to the lower 48). I'm not sure what the SS model is but considering thats the cheapest I've seen for the CL I would suspect their price for a SS would be no different. Also the CS was excellent. I paid for it shortly after 11am one day, it shipped an hour later and it was at my dealer the next day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know a dealer who is set-up with LMT, that will sell a new complete LMT rifle, for a good price ?

I am trying to find the complete rig, with the stainless 5R barrel.

Thanks
Ralph

</div></div>

Depends on what you consider a good price. I should be receiving one this week.