• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up looking for friends in the DFW metroplex

deepsix++

regular guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
California
I'm making a life change and moving from OC ( I'm not trying to make tx blue ) to DFW metro and I'm looking for friends to link up with and do shooting matches . I'm going to be working in grand prairie ( tool and die machinist ) and wanting to living at the most 30 min north of there.
does any one have connections with some one renting homes or condo's ?

just want to network with people doing PRS stuff in that area as I'm leaving SDPRC family and my whole life spent in OC behind

Be careful getting something north and working south. The commute can be a bitch.
Check Google maps for estimates by time.

I believe most PRS stuff is to the south as well. Along with all the good ranges.

Reactions: deepsix++
Welcome to Texas. Leave all your thoughts at home lol.

I’m in Wichita Falls and shoot pretty frequently. Look on the PRS website for matches there are quite a few clubs within a couple hours of DFW.

Reactions: UKDslayer
The whole north part of the DFW Metro area has really expensive rents.
You might do better price wise looking at 30 minutes south of where you work.

I'm in the far North but prices here are as such that you really had to be here 20 years ago and have bought something.

If you drive down to HWY 20 and head west, out by Mingus there is a nice shooting range called TacPro that goes out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: deepsix++
The whole north part of the DFW Metro area has really expensive rents.
You might do better price wise looking at 30 minutes south of where you work.

I'm in the far North but prices here are as such that you really had to be here 20 years ago and have bought something.

If you drive down to HWY 20 and head west, out by Mingus there is a nice shooting range called TacPro that goes out to 1000 yards.
thanks for the info

Be careful getting something north and working south. The commute can be a bitch.
Check Google maps for estimates by time.

I believe most PRS stuff is to the south as well. Along with all the good ranges.
it cant be worse than what I'm coming from lol . I would like to stay sorta close to Colleyville as I have a very close friend there who use to live by me in CA

Well, working in GP, you could maybe find some places in Arlington. Colleyville would be a bit of a commute for you but I am probably not one to talk. I live near the Red River and work near 35 and 635 and it is 56.5 miles from door to door. In the morning with toll roads (before 6 am) is not too bad. Going home in the afternoon can take longer.

Either that, or you want to go further south than GP for places. You do not want parts of south Dallas, including much of Oak Cliff, places where cops don't like to go and when they do, it is two units at a time. Places where you can hear constant gunfire regardless of no open season on game hunting with firearms.

Reactions: Stevo86
FB_IMG_1607554314153.jpg

Well, working in GP, you could maybe find some places in Arlington. Colleyville would be a bit of a commute for you but I am probably not one to talk. I live near the Red River and work near 35 and 635 and it is 56.5 miles from door to door. In the morning with toll roads (before 6 am) is not too bad. Going home in the afternoon can take longer.

Either that, or you want to go further south than GP for places. You do not want parts of south Dallas, including much of Oak Cliff, places where cops don't like to go and when they do, it is two units at a time. Places where you can hear constant gunfire regardless of no open season on game hunting with firearms.
thanks for telling me about the bad neighborhoods

Unless you get way south, the southern burbs like DeSoto and Duncanville are are not much better than Oak Cliff or south Dallas. If you are working in GP, stay in the mid cities. Arlington, Hurst, Euless, Bedford have some decent neighborhoods. Halton City is kinda getto. Eastern Fort Worth can be good. Burleson is nice.

Reactions: deepsix++ and Ronws
Working in GP...

Head SOUTH on 360 south of I20 down towards 287 and find a house or an apartment. Lots of choices between used and new houses and there are a lot of new apartment complexes if you just want/need something temp for a year or whatever to find something else.

I would SERIOUSLY rethink living north and driving south even though it doesnt look to far. You will do the drive to work daily and you will see your friend maybe what once a week or so... I would balance that out personally. Do some google maps predictive stuff to determine if its tolerable. I live down south in Waxahachie and drive into Dallas, but only like 4-5 times a month as I travel for a living. Its 40 minutes with no traffic and 1:15 with traffic(barring any accidents that can add another 20-30 minutes on to that) so I typically try to show up by 5am and done by 2-3pm to avoid traffic.

As far as ranges that have comps on a regular basis the only one I know of is ETTS down in Maypearl(much easier to get to if you live south of I20 off of 360). You've got Elm Fork on the east side of DFW, but I have only ever shot shotguns there as they have 2 or 3 sporting clays courses. They have pistol and rifle, but dont know anything of any comps being held there. Grand Prairie Gun Club is in that "general area" but I doubt they have any comps and its probably a fully FUD range. There's plenty of other ranges in the outskirts of DFW that have or do various things, lots of indoor ranges to shoot pistol when its 120 degrees in the shade...

Unless you get way south, the southern burbs like DeSoto and Duncanville are are not much better than Oak Cliff or south Dallas. If you are working in GP, stay in the mid cities. Arlington, Hurst, Euless, Bedford have some decent neighborhoods. Halton City is kinda getto. Eastern Fort Worth can be good. Burleson is nice.
And Burleson is the old stomping grounds of Kelly Clarkson, who also happens to be related by family marriage to Reba McIntire.

You've got Elm Fork on the east side of DFW, but I have only ever shot shotguns there as they have 2 or 3 sporting clays courses. They have pistol and rifle, but dont know anything of any comps being held there. Grand Prairie Gun Club is in that "general area" but I doubt they have any comps and its probably a fully FUD range. There's plenty of other ranges in the outskirts of DFW that have or do various things, lots of indoor ranges to shoot pistol when its 120 degrees in the shade...
I actually work near the Elm Fork. My BIL drove all the way from Baton Rouge to compete.

A good indoor 100 yd range is Riflegear in the Colony.

Mission Ridge, which I have yet to visit, is in Plano on Mapleshade.

Working in GP...

Head SOUTH on 360 south of I20 down towards 287 and find a house or an apartment. Lots of choices between used and new houses and there are a lot of new apartment complexes if you just want/need something temp for a year or whatever to find something else.

I would SERIOUSLY rethink living north and driving south even though it doesnt look to far. You will do the drive to work daily and you will see your friend maybe what once a week or so... I would balance that out personally. Do some google maps predictive stuff to determine if its tolerable. I live down south in Waxahachie and drive into Dallas, but only like 4-5 times a month as I travel for a living. Its 40 minutes with no traffic and 1:15 with traffic(barring any accidents that can add another 20-30 minutes on to that) so I typically try to show up by 5am and done by 2-3pm to avoid traffic.

As far as ranges that have comps on a regular basis the only one I know of is ETTS down in Maypearl(much easier to get to if you live south of I20 off of 360). You've got Elm Fork on the east side of DFW, but I have only ever shot shotguns there as they have 2 or 3 sporting clays courses. They have pistol and rifle, but dont know anything of any comps being held there. Grand Prairie Gun Club is in that "general area" but I doubt they have any comps and its probably a fully FUD range. There's plenty of other ranges in the outskirts of DFW that have or do various things, lots of indoor ranges to shoot pistol when its 120 degrees in the shade...
part of the reason why I'm relocating is for entrepreneurial reasons , I have another friend who lives near Era , he is offering me free space in his shop on his property to get my company going . so long drives are going to be a thing for me anyway a few times a week , kinda why I wanted to live in the middle and not just further south .

Here are a few ranges within 60 miles of the DFW area with decent rifle ranges out to 1000+ yards.

https://northeasttexastactical.com - 1000+ yards

https://www.ettsgunrange.com - 1000+ yards

https://tacproshootingcenter.com/index.html - 1000 yards. (Have to pick up and move to shoot at different distances.

https://fossilpointe.net - 800 yards
wow thanks for this , coming from CA where we have BLM land I wasn't really anticipating there being this many ranges past 500 or so .

Reactions: Ichi
If you have to go through Oak Cliff don't slow down and damn sure don't stop for gas or anything like that. I had to work there building part of the DART system about 12yrs ago and it was eye opening ,ghetto for sure ,and probably only gotten worse with time , stay frosty, and watch ur six.