• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

I actually don't have them. Builder sent me them in an email and didn't save them. He sent, I believe, three pictures that show the crown on three different M40A1s (and not just some guys, these were issued).
Chad

Connor McLeod at Celtic Rifles . He keep the build up to date with tons of pictures along the way. Was very happy with how it turned out. All was done to spec down to the finish. He even went as far as to, after deciding what the build was going to be: Late 90's model after a rebuild with Schneider barrel and replacement USO scope, checking about the trigger. I had a paddle trigger and he asked around as found that for that type of build the trigger would have be swapped out at least once. Therefore, it would not have had a flat paddle safety. Switched it out for a round one and sent the older one back to me. He is anal in a good way as to how these are built. If one thing is wrong, he will swap it out to make sure all is correct. I'm very happy with what he has done and it all makes sense.
Chad

i have a question about a action that i have. should i sell a 6 digit action instead of using it for a non m40a1 build. bolthandle and coating probably not the best to build a clone. i have a 107xxx action, i know that this isnt the correct sn but still a 6 digit. its a 223 bolt face. i dont want to ruin somthing that i will regret. thanks for the insight

toby

no reason to be sorry i didnt buy it for a m40 but since i am thinking of building a 223AI i didnt want to mess something up that i would regrete

toby

I've read this thread but haven't seen this issue discussed. I recently picked up a 6 digit action (148xxx...a little early but close) It did not have the bolt, the trigger, or the recoil lug. I have since been able to pick up a trigger from a six digit action but I still need a bolt and the recoil lug. Is there any difference between an old 700 bolt and a current 700 bolt? What are the differences if any? Does any one have a source for an old bolt and/or recoil lug? Thanks.

the only difference would with the bolt would be that the earlier actions don't have the anti sieze rail. A new bolt will work in an old receiver but an old bolt won't work with a new receiver unless you mill the slot into the right lug. How many recoil lugs do you want? I have a stack of 'em

I know it probably was just a rumor designation but wondered if anyone here knew for sure. I've heard the PIP designation in referance to the M40A2 few builds, or was it something of a revamp of the A1 in late 90s?

I hope I didn't drive this thread off a cliff, pass on by this if other things need to be posted here.

this thread has given me the bug too, I bought a return stock from a guy on here, I have a brand new sps to drop into it. I know it wont be the real deal but ill get as reasonably close to it as I can

Not sure if they are around the website. Look for a stamped MRT (mildew resistant thread) and a date that would have been in the range for any M40A1 as they were replaced. You will be GTG.
Chad

As a side, I think mine is dated in 1989. Gave by a member here!!! Mine was not dated and only asked to give to another, gave to a USMC member again with no charge.

How do I know how old my return stock is or when it was issued? There is a four digit number written on the inside of the stock where the barrel runs. Is this the same four digit number that you mark the bolt and bottom metal with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I know how old my return stock is or when it was issued? There is a four digit number written on the inside of the stock where the barrel runs. Is this the same four digit number that you mark the bolt and bottom metal with? </div></div>

The 4 digit number in the barrel channel would corespond with the last 4 digits of the rifle's serial number from the original build. The bold handle and bottom metal were also marked with the last 4 digits of the serial number. It would be difficult to place an exact age on the return stock, the smear is considered the early pattern and the forest camo is the late pattern. I think it was posted somewhere that the forest camo stocks were replacements ordered from McMillan at some time in the late 1980's or early 1990's or thereabouts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I know how old my return stock is or when it was issued? There is a four digit number written on the inside of the stock where the barrel runs. Is this the same four digit number that you mark the bolt and bottom metal with? </div></div>

The 4 digit number in the barrel channel would corespond with the last 4 digits of the rifle's serial number from the original build. The bold handle and bottom metal were also marked with the last 4 digits of the serial number. It would be difficult to place an exact age on the return stock, the smear is considered the early pattern and the forest camo is the late pattern. I think it was posted somewhere that the forest camo stocks were replacements ordered from McMillan at some time in the late 1980's or early 1990's or thereabouts. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, Im now wondering will I have the bolt handle corresponding the Stock number or the last four digits of the actual serial number of the reciever

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for the info, Im now wondering will I have the bolt handle corresponding the Stock number or the last four digits of the actual serial number of the reciever </div></div>

You will want the bolt handle to match the receiver numbers. The numbers on metal parts should always be the matching numbers.

Just spoke with Gary Schneider and a M40 contract barrel is on the way! Inch by inch, step by step, it is coming together.
smile.gif

I know it is not spec but is there anything to be gained by going with a Holland lug?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for the info, Im now wondering will I have the bolt handle corresponding the Stock number or the last four digits of the actual serial number of the reciever </div></div>

You will want the bolt handle to match the receiver numbers. The numbers on metal parts should always be the matching numbers. </div></div>

Kinda makes sense as you will never see the one written in the barrel channel anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cross out the number in your stock and rewrite it with your four digits. </div></div>

Will this not mess up the stock if you get me as regards to it being original

George
You will gain a bit of surface area using Holland as it is a bit longer. The thickness is not needed as you will never bend a factory lug using a 308 nor probably any other caliber. Just make sure it is parallel on both sides and flat. You can buy a Callahan .187 lug from Midway. They are made by a D Kiff company.

Just keep in mind the factory lugs worked for the Corp for 9 yrs on the M40 and 25yrs on the M40A1. If they didn't feel the need to replace it for a battle rifle then the rest of us should be comfortable with using the factory thickness.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Dennis,

As always, thank you. I have the return stock, (your sling studs
smile.gif
) return bottom metal, C-receiver, BDL mag box/spring/follower,TBA 30mm M40A1-style mount, and now the contract barrel on the way from Schneider barrels. I don't have a recoil lug in hanging around so I thought..what the heck.

Thanks again

Try and give any of the top builders a call. I'm sure plenty of them have extras sitting around. I know George has one of mine that he didn't use after the build...
Might be a lead.
Chad

Left my return stock down to my smith yesterday along with a brand new SPS in .308. Should have it back in the next two weeks. He is binning the x mark trigger and putting in the older unit with the square safety. The action is brand new so it will not be 100 percent accurate clone but I will prob look for an older action at a later date

m40a1007.jpg

All i need is some 100mph tape in olive drab, they dont sell it in Ireland!

I just realized this thread has been going for 3 years as of 4 days ago. I'm going to honor this occasion by posting a gallery of M40a1 art. Feel free to join in. If this thread has helped build a spec clone, or close enough to be called an M40a1 then post away.

Jeff

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1106.jpg

DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just realized this thread has been going for 3 years as of 4 days ago. I'm going to honor this occasion by posting a gallery of M40a1 art. Feel free to join in. If this thread has helped build a spec clone, or close enough to be called an M40a1 then post away.

Jeff </div></div>

its certainly helped me and thanks for all the info from the guys that went out of their way to find it. I will post mine as soon as its done

Thanks
Irishshooter

m40a1007.jpg

I have been dying to get one of these stocks in the woodland pattern. I have 3 smear stocks and sold 1 so I could get the woodland but then unfortantly some unexpected bills came along and took it. DAMN IT!!!

OK two things my mst 100 sn should I match the s/n of the stock as I really did not want to as the sn for my reciever which I do not have yet will be different.Also the coating black or teflon.

Hi, new to the forum but have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now. After a long time of saving, research and drooling over the m40a1 picture thread I am going to try and build a spec or as close to spec rifle as i can out here in the UK.
Brilliant thread!
Josh

Very interesting thread and full of information about the M40A1. Just curious; aside from the Small Arms Review article on building an M40, are there any other threads/sites/etc. that would cover building one of these as the original VN era version (pre-A1)? I am in the process of getting home a 1960s 700 ADL carbine in .308, and was wanting to see just what would be needed to try and do a decent clone of the M40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt.Joker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interesting thread and full of information about the M40A1. Just curious; aside from the Small Arms Review article on building an M40, are there any other threads/sites/etc. that would cover building one of these as the original VN era version (pre-A1)? I am in the process of getting home a 1960s 700 ADL carbine in .308, and was wanting to see just what would be needed to try and do a decent clone of the M40. </div></div>

There is a thread on SniperCentral about a M40 build.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11137

You really should get yourself a copy of the book "One Round War" by Peter Senich. It'll tell you everything you'll need.

OK, whitetailnut- got the book on order, AND just picked up a Remington 700 s/n 2566xx to use as the receiver on this. I'm going to wind up Frankenstein-ing two rifles into this- a 1977 made ADL in .308, and this new rifle which is a BDL in .223 but has the right safety, bolt shroud, and receiver number range. I plan to get the receiver machined to M700 specs, trued and lapped to the .308 bolt (but using the short bolt shroud) and marked U.S., I've already opened up the ADL stock for the BDL floorplate and removed the checkering, and have the green Redfield accurange and correct rings and mount. I still need the sling swivels and to decide who to get a correct M40 barrel from (and to have it fitted to the receiver) but it is coming along, slowly but surely. A lot of extra expense to get the correct serial number range, but to put this much time and money into it would have bugged me if I hadn't went all the way.

Sure hope it goes "Bang!" at the end of all this, though!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joker,
Do you have the original green scope or did they remake them? Do you have the correct 40X base. Those are tough to find. </div></div>

rth1800, No, the scope is an original Redfield 3x-9x 1 inch marked accurange, but the green part was refinished in duracoat by Frontsight. The rings and base I got from mjh here, and the rings are marked with the "1-66" mark on the bottom and are 1" 4-screw originals. The base is the rounded edge one and looks like the original to me, but it not marked "40x" (although there does seem to be some controversy over those being on all the originals or not? )

So no; it's not 100% cloned. But I'm not trying to pass it off to someone AS an original; just as being as good of a copy as I can make it. I did get the second rifle for the correct serial number range receiver yesterday (2566XX) so that part of it should be good. Now to get the clip slot machining and the truing it up done, mark it correctly, and get the barrel for it and get it installed.

Okay, here's what's probably a stupid question for the M40A1 experts, but ...

... all the ones I've see are chambered in .308.

I have a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Rem 700 LA in 30.06</span></span> sitting (unbedded) in a MCM Marine camo HTG stock with it's stock factory barrel. I also have an untouched Rock Creek .308 (1:11.25 twist) barrel (as yet unchambered and in the white). It's all from a project started some years ago but that I'm only just now getting back to ...

I was considering sending it all off to George & company @ GAP and having them turn it into a "30.06" M40A1 clone.

Anyone had one done up in 30.06?

Again, not up on all the details of M40s, ... just asking.