• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

Bill,
I read yours wrong the first time but it may work. They may be building a close copy of sorts, but its not a spec. Nothing is correct with that one, only reason I say its not an M40A1. Heck, I've got a sweet Shelby Cobra I'll sell you for about 150G (kit car??). Is it like one, sure, but its not even close really...
Chad

You could make it with a long action but you will have problem getting the correct bottom metal. You will also have problems with scope mount. Can be done but won't be a M40a1. Does anyone know how to upload photographs.

i missed a super deal on a Remington 700 1962-63 year rifle

carbine rifle, with aluminum buttplate, factory clip slots
already in .308

SERIAL # was 1185xx and the fellow only wanted $450 for it

had the chance to buy it at 2 am in the morning and i should have jumped on it,

oh well

Why man Why ? Didn't you jump all over that!
confused.gif

1)I searched this and other threads but still haven't found the answer: Were any of the Marine's M40A1s ever pillar bedded? I'm under the impression that the early rifles where just compound bedded with glass or devcon(jb?marine, tex?) but since the M40A1 has been in service from mid seventies till around 2003, that seems a long time to go without seeing the advantage of pillar bedding unless Marine armorers know something I don't. MCM stocks are strong, but any stock material compresses if continually torqued upon-I understand the rifles were regualy dissasembled for cleaning by armorers.

2)Are the newer M40A3/A5 rifles pillar bedded or are they also just glassed into the stock?

3)Have any Marine issue M40A1s shot around 1/4 MOA at 100 yrds? I ask regarding m852 or m118LR, I would't expext anything that phenominal with older M118SB.

m118LR and no they were not pillar bedded. Don't forget all of the return stocks were as late as they had and none are pillar bedded.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hers mine so far, everything stamped and the stock bedded. Just need sling and glass

37329_135249379834352_100000478736511_331511_1421537_n.jpg
</div></div>

On the forend is that an uncle mikes qd stud nfront of the witchita swival? Great for mounting a bipod! I don't know if any Marine issue M40A1s woulda had that but I read somewhere in this forum that in OIF, some guys cut the swivels out of the witchita unit so they could mount a bipod to the remaining stud.

Its a stud my riflesmith made up for me to fit a versapod. probably loosely based on the uncle mikes one. Its not 100 percent accurate clone so the stud is ok with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: irishshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a stud my riflesmith made up for me to fit a versapod. probably loosely based on the uncle mikes one. Its not 100 percent accurate clone so the stud is ok with me. </div></div>

I agree, what works best for the individual is prefferable to making an accurate clone. The clone thing is great but it may not suit an individual's shooting style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">m118LR and no they were not pillar bedded. Don't forget all of the return stocks were as late as they had and none are pillar bedded.
Chad </div></div>

How about the M40A3, those pillar bedded or treated same as A1?

Bedded. I'm not sure if they used the Badger supplied ones or made their own in house, but they are bedded. With the ammo, I believe they only wanted 1 moa.

Irishshooter, good for you with making a semi clone and it works for you. There are some points with my build that could have been better for me. Happy to have a complete clone, but with that comes a few shortcomings.
Chad

Most smiths I spoke with about possibly doing my build (older smear) did recommend pillar bedding as the fiberglass is old and susceptible to inconsistent torque.... I will have them added to mine... Not 100% spec, but worth it for consistency...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bedded. I'm not sure if they used the Badger supplied ones or made their own in house, but they are bedded. With the ammo, I believe they only wanted 1 moa.

Irishshooter, good for you with making a semi clone and it works for you. There are some points with my build that could have been better for me. Happy to have a complete clone, but with that comes a few shortcomings.
Chad </div></div>

Well I plan for it to be eventually a full clone but as I live in Ireland getting some of the parts I want will take time.

About 25-30 years ago I called Gale McMillan (before his sons took over) and asked him to build me an M40A1 in 300 Win mag. He asked alot of questions about who I was, why I wanted one, where I worked, and a lot more information before he would build a rifle for me. It was like I was buying some super secret weapon, or something that had ownership restrictions on it.

Mr. McMillan told me that the secret service used some of the M40A1s in 7mm mag, and he had made some (few) for USMC in 300 win, but mostly 308's. He recommended the 300 over the 7mm because the twist rate of the 7mm mag caused it to copper foul more quickly and loose accuracy. I understood that he used to build the rifles for USMC before the Marines started building their own M40's. IF this is true, can anyone tell me about when the Marines started building their own rifles, rather than having them built by contractors like McMillan?

I still have all the original paperwork from McMillan, and have kept all paperwork every time I have had the rifle re-barreled (on #4 now) or had any other work done on it. The rifle I have doesn't have all the parts stamped with matching numbers, but the number on the rifle matches the paperwork from the McMillan company. I'm trying to find out when the transition occurred if anyone can assist me.

Don't know but pretty cool if true (not doubting you). Was this one a smear or other? Post up a pic!!! What barrels have you threaded on it? What bottom metal did it use? Do you know what finish he used on the rifles he built?
Thanks for the story.
Chad

I don't know what a smear is. None of the parts have any markings on them other than Remington 700 on the left side of the receiver. The barrels I have had on the rifle were: 1: from the McMillan shop, 2 McMillan rebarreled the rifle and said I could have Lilja or Schneider. Schneider gave a choice of traditional, or polygon bore, so I took polygon at Mcmillan's recommendation. Barrel #3 was also a Schneider polygon 1-10 twist. Currently #4 barrel is an Obermeyer 1-11 twist 5R barrel. All barrels have had the same profile, called the MTU profile.

After having my right shoulder replaced, (not fixed, but replaced), I had a muzzle brake put on the rifle, and had it refinished in OD teflon. I know it isn't keeping the rifle "mint", but it is a shooter for me, not a collector piece.

My biggest worry is that with the muzzle brake, I'll burn through the barrel faster. Fortunately, I have an unmounted Obermeyer 5R barrel waiting to be mounted when the current one gives up.

I'm not a good tiny group shooter, but the rifle regularly shoots 1.3 inches at 300 yards. I'm pretty sure a decent bench rest shooter could do much better than I do. I shoot it off a bi-pod and a sack filled with sand at the rear.

The McMillan shop mounted barrels #1, 2, 3. When I bought the Obermeyer barrel, I asked Boots Obermeyer who he recommended to do the barrel mounting. He recommended West Wind Rifles, so that is who I used for the initial mounting.

The muzzle brake was made and mounted by Asylum Arms, they also did the refinish to OD teflon. (No cost for the refinish as he wanted everything to match the brake, and asked what I wanted, I liked the no cost idea)

What did the stock look like? Was it like the earlier USMC fatigues or did it look like it was done in kindergarten?
I'd love a pic.
Chad

I don't have the ability to upload photos. The stock is the same one McMillan now uses on the A1 rifles with the woodland (sort of) pattern molded in. It does not have either an adjustable cheekpiece, or a hook on the lower portion of butt stock.

It is the same stock shown in the photo above by Pre64marksman. The original finish was black/parkerized.

The second time I sent the rifle to McMillan to have an new barrel installed, they did me the "favor" of putting silver Rogard on the bolt....I was not a happy camper. It went from the matt black, to a dull non reflective silver color. Sure, it had lubricity, was slicker, kept dirt etc off of it, but I thought the looks of it sucked. I suppose if I were actually out fighting with the rifle, I would have made a bigger stink about it. But for me, I use the rifle in long range matches, practical precision rifle matches (sort of civilian sniper matches) and other venues where no one is hunting me while I'm trying to shoot. So other than the looks, it didn't hurt me.

I have since used fine grit (600-1000 grit) paper to remove the finish, and applied bluing so it is back closer to original. But as I said earlier, my rifle is a shooter, not a collector piece, so I'm not trying to have an "as issued, completely original" rifle. I want a piece that works well, not looks to spec.

The average of 4 groups at 300 yards recently was 1.34 inches. Best group was 7/8 of an inch. The group I liked best, had .3 inches of vertical spread, and 1.18 inches of horizontal spread..just showing wind. Not too shabby for a rifle that is 25-30 years old.

Rifle currently wears a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with illuminated Mil-dot reticle in Leupold tactical rings.

The rifle consistently outshoots me, so I'm pretty happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It is the same stock shown in the photo above by Pre64marksman." </div></div>

I don't mean to nitpick the post but I don't want credit for someone else's pics, the pic you referenced was posted by "Irishshooter", I clumsely had his pic in my quoted post, my bad.

BTW Unknown, interesting info regarding Gale McMillan building early M40a1s for the Marines!
Also intriguing is the talk of 300winmag variants!

Unknown: It seems that we had the same pleasant opportunity to deal with Gale McMillan.

Back in the early 1980’s, I became enamored by seeing a Marine aboard the aircraft carrier Enterprise with his M40A1. Being the guest of Captain Robert Kelly made the Marine available to show me his rifle at lunch. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Well, after running into numerous dead ends, it appeared that the M40A1 was just a dream. That’s until I contacted McMillan and company to inquire about his stocks. The girl who answered the phone explained that she couldn’t help me, but if I left my phone number, she would have Mr. McMillan call me. Explaining that I was working in San Fran installing new suspender ropes on the Golden Gate Bridge and wouldn’t be back to the hotel until after 5:pm West Coast time. She said she would pass this on to Mr. McMillan. (Right, like he’ll call!)

Well, about 5:15, the phone rang and it was Gail. We talked about an hour on his dime. What we came up with was me getting a 700 PSS, 24” Barreled action. And he would inlet the stock. To help with the bottom metal, he had some Winchester USMC Modified trigger guards, floor plates and would supply to me. Gail explained that he was producing an order for the Marines and that he would grab one stock for me. Had the stock in three weeks! (Times have changed!) (And, he said he would include an invoice. Which he did, About $450.00 as I remember.)

My next quest was the scope. I called Unertl in PA. No, Definably No! I even went out to Mars Pa to see John Unertl, A grumpy man who saw me, but still No.

John told me to contact Jim Leatherwood in Texas maybe he could help.. That I did. Jim was more than willing to see me, so, on my next trip to Taxes, I drove out to Stephensvill(?) (I seem to remember that was the town?) Anyway, I was re-directed to his home (ranch) and we had a great lunch. Jim was tremendous to talk with. But, no help in the Unertl quest. But, he had provided several of his ART II+’s to the corps and he expected that they would place an order. Well, he was a great salesman! I bought one!

These were the ART II+, Had the same reticule set up as the old Redfield Accurange. Leupold Mark 4 one piece steel base included. ($650.00)

To wrap this up, I never had the luck to get the ART to work as described. But, even when it jammed in the power mechanism, Jim just told me to send it back and he would repair it for free. (BTW, the marines never ordered his ART II+’s. The IDF, did buy a dozen or so.)

Well, not exactly an M40A1, but Dammed Close. Still have it, although the ARTII is collecting dust in the gun room!

And again. Thanks XARMOR for Roxanne. Gutowsky

Great info there! I won't be able to do a 40 in a long time. And unfortunately the longer the wait the less likely MSTs will be available. Those lucky enough to find one will be holding on to them so used sales will go down over the years. I would hope USO see's the continued jonesin' for those beauties and do a few more limited runs but they may be done for good on that model!
I know its unbecoming to whine about my woes.

I ought to concentrate on my dream medium weight varmint .20 cal based on an old Sako L461 222 face action I have sitting in the vault. That will cost less than the 40 build by a wide margin and it won't require me waiting till eternity on the Unertl/MST!

Pre64 Win.
Well: You can always get a used “Plane Jane” Rem 700 Varmint .308, drop it into an new/old Numrich wood stock and mount just about any scope on top, and presto: Your almost there. Go out and shoot it! It ain’t a full spec. build, but not many will know.

Add what you can afford, when you can afford it. Pick up the parts, one at a time. Someday you’ll have “More Dollars Than Sense” and then you can jump in with both feet.

Believe me, there will always be parts available, you just need the $$$. I know that I can get the Unertl USMC Scope for the price. But, 10 or 15K+ $, it just isn’t worth it to me. The MST’s were available so I went that route (better scope imho anyway).

Go over to the M40 build thread, Lots of good info and you can see what others are doing on their budgets. The M40 is a classic! And you can always change the parts as needed to make a M40A1, A3, or whatever later. You don’t need to be 100% correct to have fun! Life's to short to wait! Gutowsky

McMillan never built the M40A1, all Marine Corp rifles are built in house, this started in approximately mid 1976, the M40A1 was built on specs originally derived in 1973. McMillan had provided stocks to the US Army as early as 1974. The smear pattern is the earliest and some say the classiest of the stocks provided by McMillan to the Corp. Harris/McMillan did provide the M86 and M89 to the Navy Seals and supposedly Delta in the early eighties and nineties.
Below early smear stock belonging to a Hide member circa 75-78
M40A1after.jpg

The semi smear stock
1414M40A1.jpg

This is the thread I needed. Very informative and enlightening. I am one of those that think in the back of my brain I need something big and mean to shoot. Like 338 lapua. I am just learning true rifle marksmenship and after I feel I have enough knowledge I am going to invest in a M40A1 clone.

Thank you.

I just listed in the WTB/WTT area a deployment book for the M40A1. I want to trade for an original drag bag, original cleaning stuff etc. There is a list of what came with the rifle in the book. I have two and this is a spare.

Whether McMillan made early M40a1s or not matters not to me as the rifle still has a great history! As for not being able to afford the MST now, the older redfield 3-9 fitted rifles are an attractive intermediate option! I may even leave such a historically important scope on such a rifle even though its claim to fame was on the older M40 in Viet Nam.

Gutowsky mentions Gale McMillan doing an order for the Marines and having M70 BM modified and ready to go. At first thought this sounds like rifles being built by Gale for the Marines, but it could very easily be that he simply building the stocks to ship and that he had the bottom metal in order to inlet the stocks to fit. Please feel free to correct me on any of these assumptions. I thought I had read somewhere that all Marine issued stocks were totally inletted by Armorers at Quantico, but maybe Gale did some inletting both action and bottom metal early on. I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm not claiming to know any of this, just fishing for more info from those who know. I'm not saying Unkown is lying. I trust what he is saying, but the consenses is that only Marines built all A1s. Bassically I care not either way, still interesting history!

We all know that Gail built & supplied his Fiberglass stocks to the marines. I had assumed that his glass stocks were first supplied for late M40’s or modified for his Win 70 as I saw a picture of one on Carlos Hathcock’s shoulder somewhere (found it; http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/ultimatesniper/carlos.html).

(Although, it appears to be a later pattern not the early garage special smears he started with. Maybe the smears were for the M40’s and this was made just for him by the marine armorers??). Maybe we’re just hunting in circles in this.
I would think his son Kelly would know as his art work on the early stocks is referenced in some of these blogs.

Gail was also considered an expert competition high power shooter and was referenced as a competent barrel maker. I’ve read several blogs by Gail about the theories on barrel break-in procedures (He stated that it was a waste of time and unnecessary and possibility did more harm than good! I think he was right.).

The bottom metal I got from Gail was much nicer in finish than the return examples on the return stocks, I have. Sort of custom finished? I also know that the cottage industry of custom rifle makers clustered around his shop included Robar and H&S Precession, as well as many machine shops involved in firearms at that time. Gail had mentioned that he could get Robar to coat my barreled action when and if I sent it for re-barreling. So, I guess these guys were all helping each other out in those days.

I specifically remember Gail saying that he was building some rifles for the marines at that time. Maybe he was just blowing smoke up my a**, who knows? It’s too late to ask him and I guess Kelly doesn’t visit the Hide.

It seems that the more you think you know, the more questions pop up.

Still, interesting as Hell!

That pic of Carlos Hathcock is a great one! I believ its a remington reciever in the pic unless there is another pic that shows the entire rifle. So I think he's holding an early M40a1 with the redfield scope. I wouldn't mind having one of those even though the scope is not as good the later Unertl issue or other modern choices.

Was that bottom metal an aftermarket M70 type he supplied you with or was it an actual Winchester unit?(Pardon my naivety if even Winchester uses an aftermarket part)

I would'nt doubt Gail if he said he built some M40a1s, I don't know why he would want to blow smoke. He built Army and Navy rifles in the 80s. It could be possible that he had a hand in building the test examples of the A1? In Senich's <span style="font-style: italic">One Round War,</span> there is a list of the Heads of developement for the A1, (Hathcock is in that list) Anyway If Gail built early test rifles I would think he would be included in that list unless the list is only of the Marine's in charge of the development. Yes its all really great history shedding light on the program overall. I woulda loved to have been present at the match where the first A1s were used, just to see the look on the faces of those other shooters at the supprise of a military rifle beating the pants off of everyone! That's history! The M40 from Viet Nam was a nice gun but what a leap the A1 was for a military arm. The SSG69 was a similar leap in firearms accuracy when it came out. Whether Gail built a total rifle for Marines or not, That company continues to be the best thing for precision for what, almost 40 years now?

Pre64, It appears to be a steel Winchester two piece, cut down, and made to fit on both sides of the trigger guard. (I must learn to post pictures, maybe next week.)

I’ve since had the rifle pillar bedded with Devcon (Eddy Fosnaugh Custom Guns, http://fosnaughcustoms.com/ ) and Cerakoted flat black. (Eddy does great work and we’ve had him do the same to a M40 build using a Rem mill spec. 5R.

Can’t say enough about Eddy. Does great work and is very reasonable.

Pre64 Some time ago a guy posted that he was going to try and get a Redfield 3x9 Accurange scope dissembled, the aluminum parts (tubes, bells and center sections) he would get anodized green like the original supplied to the Corps. He disappeared from the hide.

Now that I’m retired, I have the time and contacts and this winter might see what it would take. I had hopped that the guy from SWFA could coerce Leupold into building a Repro Redfield after he got the one on auction.

Pre64: Look closely at the picture of Carlos: Might need photo shop and blow up the front of the receiver. Not a Remington 700! Model 70 Winchester! Maybe just for him?

Oh wow that would be nice if Kelly did more smears! And someone making that anodized Redfiled would be a killer thing too! Well as to the quote by Gale you posted, that's cool and I'm not suprised if his expertise was there from the beginning to aid the project! It takes nothing away from the Marine's involved in the development, its a lot of great minds involved with that gun!

I can't remember who posted it but someone posted earlier to watch out for police unertls. What is meant by that? Is it beware of police unertls-like a bad thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre64: Look closely at the picture of Carlos: Might need photo shop and blow up the front of the receiver. Not a Remington 700! Model 70 Winchester! Maybe just for him? </div></div>

Are you saying the reciver has no seperate recoil lug in front of it? I can see that but at the same time I see a darker gray band in front of the brighter reciver shoulder. Maybe I'm just seeing things. My head is spinning, I wish a higher res example could be found. I point to the fact that the stock loading cutout is like that for a Remington 700 stock. A Winchester McMillan would have the long step down along the reciver leading back all the way to the tang. Its possible Gale could have fit the M70 in a stock with a loading port for a Remington, but would it not be better to inlet a stock just like other winchester stocks? It would be nice if the action was closed and we could see the cocking piece. I assume it as being an early M40A1 because of the Redfield, the McMillan stock, and the fact that Carlos Hathcock was one of those responsible for getting the Marines the best in the form of the A1. But assuming gets me nowhere if the pic says otherwise. I agree that it looks that there's no recoil lug there but I'm not totally convinced as it seems the recoil lug shoulder is also present though faint. I'm sorry, either way I can't say for sure. Your probably right but I can't say either way.

BTW I have seen that same pic in a really old Rifle Shooter magazine from Fall of 96 I have (or had?). It was pixelated in there real bad but it was in color showing the nice satin fiberglass stock and a nice amber colored Redfield. It acompanied an article/interview with Carlos while he was still living. At the end of the article there was a raffle ad for his medical expenses and the raffle was for a beautiful Viet Nam era M40 remake with a pewter (white)feather inlaid into the buttstock! I was just out of highschool then and I sent in money for the raffle. I never won but heck it was still the best $5 bucks I ever spent!

Mike: Look closely at the front of the receiver, right side. You can see the serial number above the gas port hole. Winchester Model 70!

I know that a lot of these guys are trying to duplicate every nuance of Spec. Builds. But in the real world: they did a lot of changes in the field “to keep things running”. It appears that since Hathcock’s favorite rifle was a 30-06 Winchester Model 70.
And what ever Carlos wants, Carlos gets! And why not? You can’t argue with success.

I assume that McMillan provided the stock, inlet’ed for the long action Winchester for this.

Pre64: Went to a boat show in Atlantic City today. Spoke with a guy that does fiberglass repairs. I told him about these fiberglass smear stocks and asked if he could put a top gel coat over the stock with the smear type feature.

I’ll find out next week as we are going to see if it can be done. Using just plain pieces of fiberglass at first, as I don’t want to botch-up an origional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre64: Went to a boat show in Atlantic City today. Spoke with a guy that does fiberglass repairs. I told him about these fiberglass smear stocks and asked if he could put a top gel coat over the stock with the smear type feature.

I’ll find out next week as we are going to see if it can be done. Using just plain pieces of fiberglass at first, as I don’t want to botch-up an origional.
</div></div>
Way to be thinking on that stock! If a good durable coat with the look would do it that would be the ticket! I've been bandering about the idea of using a darker green solid color stock for a build rather than trying to find a smear return or getting the later forest pattern. If it could be in the gel coat that'd be great! I'd be curious how it works out!

I'm nowhere near getting someone to do a build yet for me. The scope choice is hard right now. Can't afford the Unertl/mst right now but hope to at some point, and than gotta be patient for ones to show up used. Geeze, ya think all the demand in these M40a1/unertl builds, USO would open up production again. The redfield 3-9 accurange option is there too for an older rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre64: Went to a boat show in Atlantic City today. Spoke with a guy that does fiberglass repairs. I told him about these fiberglass smear stocks and asked if he could put a top gel coat over the stock with the smear type feature.

</div></div>

Wow, if that's possible to do, I'd be in for that.

But after speaking from the folks at McMillan, they stated it could not be done. Straight from McMillan:

"The gelcoat coloring agents used in the first two years of production were a liquid dye-based material that gave a semi-translucent smeared type of look to them. They were replaced in about 77’ with the (at that time) new milled solid pigment coloring agents that gave a more opaque finish with much better “hide” and color density.

Anyway, the gelcoat is the first thing that goes in the mold when a stock is made, then the various layers of fiberglass cloth are layed in the mold over the gel-coat and they fuse to a solid material. The gelcoat cannot be changed or re-applied. If you want to change the color of the stock about all you can do is send it to a custom stock painter and have it painted in the pattern you would like."

They told me today that they can spray clear Gel-Coat or that it can be tinted.

Will try and see what that looks like. Some of the return stocks have been chewed up in service pretty bad. The fiberglass matting shows through (I have one like that). So, maybe, maybe not! We shall see.