• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308MAUS3R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have an estimated round count?

Will there be a round limit on each stage? If so, will it be for both primary and secondary or will there be separate ones for each?

</div></div>

Did you read this?

http://mammothsniperchallenge.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308MAUS3R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have an estimated round count?

Will there be a round limit on each stage? If so, will it be for both primary and secondary or will there be separate ones for each?

</div></div>

Did you read this?

http://mammothsniperchallenge.com/ </div></div>

I withdrew my first question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Secondary has to be .223 or .308, no wildcat rounds for the secondary.

If I were shooting this match I would use my daughters 3-gun ar for the secondary.</div></div>

What optic does Katie have on her 3-gun AR?
smile.gif

She has a vortex 1x4 with ebr reticle. It would work fine, but I would put a 1x6 or my 2.5x10 night force on it for this match.

200 will be the maximum for the primary, I would bring more for the secondary for sure.

There will be a target that must be neutralized on stage and there is no limit for that target.

Round count is then same as on the website. You will have 6 to 10 secondary targets on each stage. You will be able to fire 4 rounds at each target if needed, one target there is no limit on how much you shoot at it to activate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Round count is then same as on the website. You will have 6 to 10 secondary targets on each stage. You will be able to fire 4 rounds at each target if needed, one target there is no limit on how much you shoot at it to activate it. </div></div>
The reason I ask is because you were quoted as saying that one there is a target that has to be cleared by the secondary before the primary can shoot and if it were you, you'd bring a bucket of ammo. Now I know that a lot of people, me included, would be upset if they drove all that way and paid all that money just to run out of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Round count is then same as on the website. You will have 6 to 10 secondary targets on each stage. You will be able to fire 4 rounds at each target if needed, one target there is no limit on how much you shoot at it to activate it. </div></div>
The reason I ask is because you were quoted as saying that one there is a target that has to be cleared by the secondary before the primary can shoot and if it were you, you'd bring a bucket of ammo. Now I know that a lot of people, me included, would be upset if they drove all that way and paid all that money just to run out of ammo. </div></div>

Wait so what your saying is.... there is really no limit because there is one target with no limits but other are 4 rounds a piece? This is confusing! So for your secondary I would bring double what you bring for your primary.

No, I think I have been miss quoted. I have never said you will need a bucket of ammo for anything or have I said the secondary shoot first. You must be listening to some guys here at my range who are trying to get info on the stages. Sounds like you are being given some bad info.

There is one target that does not have a round count on it. It is a secondary target.

You will have approximately 50 targets for the primary guns as a team. You will be able to fire a maximum of 4 rounds per target for the primary.

The round count for the secondary is approximately 60 rounds. If you need to fire more rounds to neutralize the target then you will be able to fire up to 4 rounds per target with the one target at no round limit. I would count on at least 8 to 10 rounds for that one target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, I think I have been miss quoted. I have never said you will need a bucket of ammo for anything or have I said the secondary shoot first. You must be listening to some guys here at my range who are trying to get info on the stages. Sounds like you are being given some bad info.

There is one target that does not have a round count on it. It is a secondary target.

You will have approximately 50 targets for the primary guns as a team. You will be able to fire a maximum of 4 rounds per target for the primary.

The round count for the secondary is approximately 60 rounds. If you need to fire more rounds to neutralize the target then you will be able to fire up to 4 rounds per target with the one target at no round limit. I would count on at least 8 to 10 rounds for that one target.
</div></div>
So what would you guess the maximum round count for the secondary weapon would be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Round count is then same as on the website. You will have 6 to 10 secondary targets on each stage. You will be able to fire 4 rounds at each target if needed, one target there is no limit on how much you shoot at it to activate it. </div></div>
The reason I ask is because you were quoted as saying that one there is a target that has to be cleared by the secondary before the primary can shoot and if it were you, you'd bring a bucket of ammo. Now I know that a lot of people, me included, would be upset if they drove all that way and paid all that money just to run out of ammo. </div></div>
I would be very upset if I was not informed of something I needed (accurate round count) and got all the way there and ran out of ammo!!!!!!
I understand that there is a reason the COF is not being disclosed but the information given on this has been very limited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be very upset if I was not informed of something I needed (accurate round count) and got all the way there and ran out of ammo!!!!!!
I understand that there is a reason the COF is not being disclosed but the information given on this has been very limited. </div></div>

This is why I am being persistent in this matter. Ambiguity is not called for in this situation. Please tell us the maximum number of rounds that you think we could possibly shoot for the secondary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Round count is then same as on the website. You will have 6 to 10 secondary targets on each stage. You will be able to fire 4 rounds at each target if needed, one target there is no limit on how much you shoot at it to activate it.</div></div>

So correct me if I am wrong......6-10 targets per stage times 4 rounds each is 24-40 rounds per stage times X # of stages plus and unlimited stage where we need "a bucket of ammo" equals only 60 total for the secondary weapon system????

I really would hate if this match was won or lost because of a few rounds of ammo after we all are spending a large amount of money to travel to this match. May we please have an accurate round count for the secondary weapon system so we may plan accordingly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Team will have 200 rounds primary and 200 secondary

Hope that's enough </div></div>

Don't forget about the side match stages done by OSU and etc. Might want to budget some for that also. I plan on 200/300 myself.

The maximum round count for the primary will be around 200. The minimum round count for the secondary is 60. I apologize the website did not say minimum on the secondary, it is getting changed right now.

Stage details will be on the website next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The maximum round count for the primary will be around 200. The minimum round count for the secondary is 60. I apologize the website did not say minimum on the secondary, it is getting changed right now.

Stage details will be on the website next week. </div></div>
And maximum round count for secondary would be?

the joys of working with the public...

Bring 500 for the secondary and you should be GTG.
simple math says 4 rounds per target x 10 targets per stage x 6 main stages = 240 rounds + one "no Limit" (20)= 260 rounds.

Now you will have to add a little for the side matches and a few to confirm zero but that should get you there. Remember, you can "resupply" every night

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the joys of working with the public...

Bring 500 for the secondary and you should be GTG.
simple math says 4 rounds per target x 10 targets per stage x 6 main stages = 240 rounds + one "no Limit" (20)= 260 rounds.

Now you will have to add a little for the side matches and a few to confirm zero but that should get you there. Remember, you can "resupply" every night </div></div>

Thanks for finally answering the most simple of questions. Good to see communication is top notch for the match. So can I ask where the "resupply" house is????

My resuply will be in my beer cooler... O yall mean ammo, next to my bed along with my extra camo banana hammocks... This is going to be a warm match. Don't worry it has built in mag holders.

Disclaimer: sorry for any mis spellings, I am driving with my knee while typing this on my phone and no my response could not wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be very upset if I was not informed of something I needed (accurate round count) and got all the way there and ran out of ammo!!!!!!
I understand that there is a reason the COF is not being disclosed but the information given on this has been very limited. </div></div>

This is why I am being persistent in this matter. Ambiguity is not called for in this situation. Please tell us the maximum number of rounds that you think we could possibly shoot for the secondary. </div></div>

What caliber secondary are you shooting bro'? 223 or 308? Let me know and I'll bring some extras in case you run out. If you bring 100rounds, I'll bet you'll be OK. That's what I'm planning to bring.

I'm pretty sure that equipment, # of rounds you bring etc will be waaaaaaaaay less important than how accurately you shoot at this event. I think you'll understand after you get there and see what's going on.

Seriously, there'll be lots of nice folks there who'll be happy to let you borrow a few rounds for your secondary weapon if you run out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my 60 rounds loaded for the Secondary... Will be Plenty, I just go for the food anyway. </div></div>

That's a man who's focused on the important things!

I am shooting a borrowed rifle in 5.56 and he let me have 100 rounds of ammo total so I have shot 40 of those in practicing for this event so as to have my 60 left for the match. Now I hear I am going to need a bucket of ammo so DT1 can you load me up a bucket full and bring it to the match for me. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting a borrowed rifle in 5.56 and he let me have 100 rounds of ammo total so I have shot 40 of those in practicing for this event so as to have my 60 left for the match. Now I hear I am going to need a bucket of ammo so DT1 can you load me up a bucket full and bring it to the match for me. Thanks. </div></div>

Knowing DT1, I am sure that he would have no problem bringing you a bucket of ammo. And in the end he might even trade ya said bucket of ammo for a nice snipery paint job.

Squad list will posted sometime tomorrow and a breakdown of the stages will be posted by Wednesday.

A final time schedule will be posted by Wednesday as well.

Can't wait to get back out to the Mammoth match again. As always I will have a couple new rifles to shoot the match with. John Paul of JPE just finished my JPE PCS 11 AR15 and Bobby Keigans of Freedom Gunworks got my 6.5 Creedmoor finished this week in time for the match.

I hope the 6.5 Creedmoor shoots as good as the 7WSM he built me for the ASC match. Now I just got to load enough rds to shoot the match with. I may need some one to help me carry the bucket of ammo we are going to need for the match.

Good luck to all at the match.

Clark K

Squad list are on the website on the match detail page.

Clark, I have someone on your squad who will carry your bucket for you.

secondary optic, i ready your suggetions on the secondary optic. My questions is, I have an non magnified aimpoint or a 6 power mil dot scope as my options for my secondary rifle. Am I in trouble or will one of these work?

As a reminder we have ddesigned some UKD pages to be used with how this match ran last time.

These pages will assist you in writing them target sizes down ranging them and having your dope at the right side to quickly adjust and hit them targets in a organized fashion.

You can find them in the Index section pages I-UKD-MS and I-UKD-MS2

Good luck to everyone shooting there next week!!

Six power mil dot will work fine, there will be some close shots so it would be helpful if it was variable.

The pages Nomad are talking about would be helpful to the shooters.

Here's the list I have come up with so far for what I'm planning on bringing with me. (Not what I'll be carrying during the match, just what I'm planning on loading in the car.) Thought it may be useful to others and others may point out things I've forgotten. (It's not in any order other than how I typed it out.)
ETA: It's based off my list from the January match where we had a night stage. Hence the glow sticks. Turned out you couldn't use them on that stage, so they did me no good, but since I still have them in my bag, they're going just in case. I was a boy scout.
grin.gif

Primary Weapon
Secondary Weapon
200 Rounds Primary Ammo
200 Rounds Secondary Ammo
Primary Magazines
Secondary Magazines
Mag pouches
Rifle Cleaning Supplies
Spotting Scope
Spotting Scope Tripod
Clothes
Boots
Hat
Data Book
Camera
Shooting Sock
Torque Wrench + bits
Targets to confirm zero
Glow Sticks
Head Lamp
Rain Gear
Snacks (Beef Jerky, bars, etc.)
Water
550 cord
Gaffer's Tape
Sharpie
Wet Wipes
Batteries (CR2032, CR123, AA, AAA)
Tools to adjust scopes
Bag for gear
Cell phone chargers (car & room)
Eye and Ear Protection
Extra pens & pencils
Binoculars
Cheat Sheets: Milling, Dope, Wind Chart, Slope Dope, UKD
Trash Bags
Sun screen
Bug spray
Rifle Slings
Range finder
Leatherman Multi-tool
Booze (it's in a dry county)
Booboo kit

I have some nylon pouches from tactical tailor for FAL mags that hold 10 round AI mags pretty well.
My secondary is an AR, so I'll also have a mag pouch to carry an extra mag for that.
I just wear them on my belt. That keeps the mags handy and easy to access. Deadeye makes kydex holders for the AI and Alpha mags that I've been meaning to get.
Only issue with having them in a pocket is ensuring they're not going to go flying out if you have to move and being able to access them from whatever position you're in.

I have never even seen on TV much less been to one of these things so to say that I don't have a flippin clue is an understatement

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never even seen on TV much less been to one of these things so to say that I don't have a flippin clue is an understatement </div></div>

You will do fine ..... you have some good shooters and some friendly folks in your squad.

If you need help I am sure if you ask DT1 he will help you in any way he can.