• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - July 2011

2yni9ky.jpg

29l05z5.jpg

14ju4k6.jpg

2m2gjm8.jpg

2hx0zn9.jpg

v75v9d.jpg

Great experience. Personally feel that a serious effort was made to plug holes in the winter match, and that shows commitment by the director to provide rewarding yet challenging stages. If you had yourself, your gear and partner wired tight, it was possible to clean each stage. As a competitor, you cannot ask for any more. Downtime was minimized and 2 firearms, along with some cool gear like those bad a$$ poppers from "Big Dog Steel", were awarded for SIDE BET STAGES!

Yet again the guys from Bushnell were out in force shooting the match and answering questions about their new dynamic products such as the HDMR and Bushnell’s commitment to the tactical shooting community. It was also great to be able to fondle the wares of JP Enterprise with several models out on one table and in the comp as well. Big Dog Steel had products getting hammered in the comp and even with the Guys delivering MK13 rounds with precision, the steel worked perfectly. Thanks goes out to the team at Barrett for a great commitment, as well as the staff at Rockcastle. There are others that made this happen, and I am going from memory, but each competitor was issued a list of vendors and while I don’t have mine with me now I, along with everyone else, would like to send out a thank you to all that were involved. Special thanks go to U.S.Optics. Again, as in most matches, they stepped up to the plate big time and a special thank you is in order to John for the $2500.00 gift certificate.

To Joe, man you came back strong with this match! Very few complaints at all from the peanut gallery and still very challenging. Not sure if any stages were cleaned. Side matches ate up necessary down times, water always on hand. I would say as a match, all the requirements were met or exceeded. With that, the only thing I would add to the AAR would be that on multiple target stages, colors or numbers could be used to communicate with the RO’s on target acquisitions. Several targets were hit and not scored due to the improper ID and observation. Guys with great equipment had problems, but with an entry level fixed 10, a diamond, circle and triangle look a lot alike at 95 degrees of mirage. This did not happen to my team, but I did witness it, and #s or color indicators(cow ear tags) could be arranged to ID targets without blatantly giving away target positions. This would speed up the walk through process as well make even smoother stage briefings. Was a great match well thought out and executed, I would definitely return for the challenge.

Tons of great rifles were present from all the big guys that we see on here, I guess every major player was represented, but I would like to give a thumbs up to some new comers to the top brackets. My partner ran a 7WSM as a primary from Bobby Keegans shop in Alabama. And I think I only dropped 3 total carbine points with a 7 twist 223 AR from Jim Ruiez (sp) at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville Tn. Hats off to you guys and keep them coming.

As for group one, well 3 of the top 6 teams were here I think. Never have I squatted with that many shooters that had their stuff wired tight. Of course 6 teams were some of the best horse flesh this nation has to offer! If I live to 100, I will never get to occupy space on earth with 6 gunners that are the caliber of the men from the 3rd and 5th Groups. Thank you men from the deepest part of my family’s hearts, may God shine success upon your every action!!!!

Alright guys, the match website has been updated and the results and stats are up.

I'm working on my own AAR (from an RO's perspective) which I'll post up eventually. But I wanted to give a few nods (in no particular order...)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Squad 2</span> - you guys were awesome. Marcus and I really appreciated how easy you guys were to work with. Thank you for pitching in, helping out and making the match fun for us as well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jeff and Damon</span> - For those of you not on squad 2, these two shot a great match. But on the last day on stage 2 they had their primary go down while shooting the first array of primary targets. (Stuck case). So they moved to the secondary targets, cleaned those, then came back to the primary position and engaged the remaining primary targets with their secondary rifle. Only had dope for the primary rifle so Jeff had to do some on-the-fly math. But they managed to pick up two more hits! Overall a very impressive display of shooting and team work. Congrats guys.

<span style="font-weight: bold">David and Jim</span> - You guys shot a great match. Great communication, you never seemed to get rattled and it showed.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ryan and Tom</span> - I didn't get to see you guys shoot but you obviously did a fantastic job. Congratulations on the win.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Sponsors</span> - As always, we couldn't do matches like these without the support of our sponsors. Seriously, it takes a lot of effort and money to pull one of these off. So a huge thank you goes out to:

- Barrett
- Bushnell
- JP Rifles
- McRees Precision
- U.S. Optics
- Horus Vision
- Advanced Armament
- Manners Composite Stocks
- Talon Tactical
- XS Sight Systems
- EAR Inc
- Pelican
- Big Dog Steel
- Kershaw Knives
- Ranger Knives
- Slip2000
- Smith Optics
- Impact Data Books
- Mildot Master
- Otis Technology
- Under Armour

<span style="font-weight: bold">John Paul and Kurt from JP Rifles </span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">Ryan from Big Dog Steel</span> were in my squad so I got to spend a lot of time with them especially. John Paul, thank you for the gift certificates for the ROs. It was the kick the in the butt I needed to get one of your rifles. And Ryan thanks for the side match targets and competitor prizes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rockcastle Shooting Center</span> - We on the east coast are very lucky to have a facility like Rockcastle to hold these competitions. The combination of fantastic terrain, the lodge and the staff makes this place a big win for the shooting sports. Nick, Nate, Amy, Zach and the rest of the staff, thank you for your support. And thank you to the restaurant staff for keeping us stuffed with great food as well.

That's it for now. Keep shooting.

I would like to make a shout out to squad 4's RO. James worked his rear off running around with us every day. You did a great job. Also thanks to the sponsers for helping to make the match possible. I know that squad 4 had a bunch of great shooters and overall good people that made the match that much more enjoyable.

In my opinion this match was a lot smoother than the January match and the added time helped get more hits which was reflected in the scores from all of the shooters.

And a special thanks to the other MO shooters for helping us fixed our disabled truck and the Illonios guys for driving us to the last stage on Sunday.

I had a great time at this match as well as the rest of our TVP gang. We met some new shooters and we had some laughs in between stages and turns.
The courses were set up nice and were well thought out.
We will be back for sure.
Thanks to all the RO's specially James who was our (squad 4) RO. He was very kind and very patient and were glad we could make him chuckle a few times.
Thanks to Joe and his daughter for all their hard work.
These matches take alot work before and after and it's no easy job to try and make 100 people happy.
Thanks to all the sponsors for the match. Times are still tuff and we are lucky to get what we get.
Hope to see another match in the near future..one with more walking and hiking straight up the steepest hill ya' got and timed to get there. NO rides and quads except for those who need it and they will have to take a time penalty. Fatique and stress can enhance or take away from a shooters peek performance and that needs to be added in. I personally enjoyed the longs walks and humps from position to position.
Over all I enjoyed the match and would not hesitate to do it again.
Congrats to the winners and runners up! You did great job on a tough course of fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff and Damon - For those of you not on squad 2, these two shot a great match. But on the last day on stage 2 they had their primary go down while shooting the first array of primary targets. (Stuck case). So they moved to the secondary targets, cleaned those, then came back to the primary position and engaged the remaining primary targets with their secondary rifle. Only had dope for the primary rifle so Jeff had to do some on-the-fly math. But they managed to pick up two more hits! Overall a very impressive display of shooting and team work. Congrats guys.</div></div>

That was not allowed in our squad, matter of fact, Not allowed in the rules period. Written and stated by Joe. If it was, Jason Green and Chase Wells would have had a Much better score when their rifle went down after the first shot on the Same stage with the Same symptoms.

<span style="font-weight: bold">6.3 Before the first stage, each weapon system used by a team must be designated as either a primary or a secondary. So you cannot use the same weapon as both a primary and a secondary.</span>

But, I reckon rules change as needed.

T-Hoe,
Got the pump yesterday from the Dealership in Bowling Green, made it home last night. Dealership wouldnt sell us just the pump and had to buy the complete assembly. Funny how they can only sell you the complete assembly even though they showed and listed the pump as a seperate part. One of the hazards of being stuck somewhere, at the mercy of the person with the parts you need.
I think the field band-aide would have gotten us home but it is better safe than sorry. Just glad we were able to get it up and running.

Ace,

If you'll remember the match briefing Joe gave, he covered this topic specifically. The rule was that you could use your partner's weapon to complete the stage if the weapon went down. He also stated that the RO's would check the weapon thoroughly (which I did) and if the weapon was not down, the team would receive a match DQ.

No change made to the rules.

-Mike

You will find a bunch more here furtaker.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Techtoy_al</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have posted the rest of my pics from the match at the below link

http://smu.gs/p7FQkc </div></div>

What a great weekend!!

First of all, I’d like to thank James (4th squad RO) for putting up with us. You were very patient with us newer shooters, and to the group as a whole. You set a great tone for the weekend and I feel we all had a better time because of it. I appreciate all your hard work. Thank you.

Of course, thanks to Joe, Katie and the other ROs for putting on an awesome weekend. My teammate and I had a great time at the first shoot in January, but this one blew us away. The stages were both challenging and fun at the same time. Even stages that kicked our butts had elements we could score some points on.

I really enjoyed shooting with squad 4. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The seasoned shooters were patient with us new guys and took time to answer questions. I couldn’t have asked for a better group. Made some friends and had a good time. Who could ask for much more? Thanks guys.

Thanks to Rockcastle and all the sponsors.
We’ll definitely be back.

Almost forgot. Congrats to the top shooters.

Thanks again to all,

Matt

First thanks to Joe and all the RO's for putting on one of the best run matches I have shot in. Joe got it together on this one in a big way. As for group 1 these were some of the finest fellows I have ever shot with. I look forward to getting to shoot with the guys from 3rd group in the next while.

Thanks to all of the sponsers for stepping up to support our sport and to all the shooters who took part in the match. I also would like to give credit to my buddy Jon Lester for shooting a heck of a match and helping us anchor the 2nd spot. My Diablo Rifleworks 7 WSM shot great but I should have drove it better. The new PSC 11 AR15 that John Paul built for me shot as well as most of my boltguns do. I can't think John Paul and Bobby Keigans enough for a couple smoking good rifles.

Hope to get to do this match again in the winter or whenever Joe has it again.

Big thanks to Tom and Wish for all they done for the match and for helping Jon and I out in a big way. You guys are the greatest and real pals.

Team Horus Vision,Bushnell, JPE and Diablo shooter

Clark K

Man, what a great time. I shot in squad 4 with my buddy Matt and we both learned alot and met a lot of good folks who were willing to help and laugh between stages. Big thanks to James and Katie who put up with our squad throughout the weekend and generally ran their butts off. You guys put on a great show. Thanks To Joe for putting on a match that challenged us but still let us hear the occasional ding while we were shooting
smile.gif

Thanks to Rockcastle for the great accomidations, The sponsors for the great prizes and my fellow shooters for the comradery!

Cant wait for the next one!

Rusty

I want to thank all the shooters that came out. Hope everyone had a great time and enjoyed themselves.

Congrats to Ryan and Tom on the win. Clark, Jon, Jeff, and Damon great job on making it close at the top.

Thanks to Rockcastle for hosting the event. Can't ask for any better host.

A big thanks to squad four, my daughter was helping with your squad and she could not say enough good things about you guys.

The biggest Thank You goes out to my RO's. They worked their ass off and I truly appreciate everything they do for the match. Without them it couldn't happen.

John Paul, you are the man for stepping up when the RO's said they were not going to the prize table. Shows what kind of men they are and also what a great ambassador for the sport you are.

Tom and Wiss, thanks for everything Bushnell did for the match.

A huge thanks to all of our sponsors and hope you guys show support and purchase from them.

We will announce our winter match in the next few weeks. It is gonna be a blast. Team match with one primary shooter and one secondary.

Again thanks to everyone.

Jon and I will be there for sure. As always I am sure it will be a very interesting match as Joe will put on a challanging course of fire.

Can't wait for the next one. See you all then.
Clark K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: socket70</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Jeff and Damon</span> - For those of you not on squad 2, these two shot a great match. But on the last day on stage 2 they had their primary go down while shooting the first array of primary targets. (Stuck case). So they moved to the secondary targets, cleaned those, then came back to the primary position and engaged the remaining primary targets with their secondary rifle. Only had dope for the primary rifle so Jeff had to do some on-the-fly math. But they managed to pick up two more hits! Overall a very impressive display of shooting and team work. Congrats guys.</div></div>

I haven't seen or shot with Jeff in about 20 years, back in Orlando when we were both squids. I will definitely have to make the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill have to shoot December so I can prove to Mike I do actually shoot long range. </div></div>

Outsy, you and your smart ass mouth are going to find yourself gone if you keep it up