Mauser M18

J.Boney

Resident Sheepdog
Minuteman
May 10, 2006
NC - USA
I was recently reading an article in a gun magazine written by Tom Beckstrand. It was on the Mauser M18. Looks like an awesome little rifle, and he had nothing but good things to speak about it. I am very familiar with Mauser actions, and got to thinking that this rifle would make a great build platform. The Mauser action is robust, and one of the greatest designs ever in a bolt gun. I love the 3 lug design.

Maybe some of you smiths in the know could comment on the feasibility of building a precision rifle off this action.

I’m not a fan of that either. Upon closer look, I see it’s a different action altogether from the original design. Nonetheless, would be a good budget rifle for NA whitetail.

Mauser M18 Follow up review!

Let me say this all, I am supper impressed with this rifle!!! I paid it with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 tactical first focal plane scope. I started off shooting some groups at 100 yards with some Winchester 168 silvertip balistictip. And two different reloads. One 150gr fmj with IMR4895 and one 178 matchking with IMR4895. Both the factory and the reload groups at 100 yards were right around just less than an inch groupings. So I thought for fun I would open this baby up and see what she could do so that when I took it on an elk hunt in Montana in the fall I would know. I then took a shot out to 200 then 300 and all the way out to 1000 yards! And in this light weight hunting rifle and $399 dollar scope paired with vortex rings I was hitting steel all the way our to 1000 with just using my has hashmark hold overs and some Kentucky windage!!! I am VERY VERY IMPRESSED with this rifle and would highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for something dependable! The rifle did well with staying cool for the most part I was putting some time inbetween shots but wasn't babying it by any means! I def will be doing some more load development so that I know what it likes the best, so I will keep you up to date! But 10 out of 10 stars!!!

Ciao a tutti, vorrei chiedervi un consiglio, se doveste comprare un mauser m18 e un remingtnon 700 adl tutto in calibro 6.5 creedmoor che portereste a casa tra questi due fucili? Grazie CIAO ..
Sorry for my English..

Hello everyone, I would like to ask you for advice, if you were to buy a mauser m18 and a remingtnon 700 adl all in caliber 6.5 creedmoor that you would take home between these two rifles? Thanks bye ..

The above translated....

Personally if I wanted one gun I didn't have to do anything to just take it and hunt I would go with the stock Mauser.... Remingtons quality has slipped, they make a great action once you have it blue printed and trued.... They do have much more aftermarket upgrades tho if you are wanting to hot rod it in the future... So that is something to def be thinking about.

Reactions: STEFANO
[QUOTE = "tom30calglassburn, post: 8521096, membro: 129030"]
Ciao a tutti, vorrei chiedervi un consiglio, se doveste comprare un mauser m18 e un remingtnon 700 adl tutto in calibro 6.5 creedmoor che portereste a casa tra questi due fucili? Grazie CIAO ..

Quanto sopra tradotto ....

Personalmente se volevo una pistola non dovevo fare nulla per prenderla e cacciare andrei con lo stock Mauser .... La qualità di Remingtons è scivolata, fanno una grande azione una volta che l'hai stampata e truccata in blu. ... Ci sono molti più aggiornamenti aftermarket, anche se in futuro vuoi hot rod ... Quindi è qualcosa a cui pensare.
[/CITAZIONE]
Grazie Tom30calglassburn per aver risposto alla mia domanda, è stato quello che pensavo di pensare come te, attualmente meglio di Mauser, grazie.

I’m not a fan of that either. Upon closer look, I see it’s a different action altogether from the original design. Nonetheless, would be a good budget rifle for NA whitetail.

While I have not handled one, the construction methods, materials, and action design pairs it nicely with a Ruger American Rifle. I saw a couple early reviews that expressed disappointment that it was not a classic machined mauser action. Not sure how you could expect that in a $400 rifle...or even an $800 rifle, for that matter.

I no Hablaa Italian (if that's what it is).
9 months ago you could barely give an M118 away. They were selling for $250-300 here because everyone was just buying them to get the 50% off Minox coupon.
What I remember most from all the reviews at the time is this that running the bolt sounded like tightening a zip tie due to the machining.

Why not just get a Tika? I can find a T3X 6.5 Creedmore for around $500 in the US anyway.

[QUOTE = "357Max, post: 8522130, membro: 141941"]
Non ho Hablaa italiano (se è quello che è).
9 mesi fa riuscivi a malapena a regalare un M118. Vendevano qui per $ 250-300 perché tutti li stavano comprando per ottenere il coupon Minox del 50%.
Quello che ricordo di più da tutte le recensioni in quel momento è che far girare il bullone sembrava serrare una fascetta a causa della lavorazione.

Perché non ottenere solo una Tika? Posso trovare un T3X 6.5 Creedmore per circa $ 500 negli Stati Uniti comunque.
[/CITAZIONE]

Non mi piace tika

Alright who here speaks Italian?

Welcome to the Forum Stefano. If you can read this try using Google translate when posting so we can read it. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure someone on here can.

I think it means (Non mi piace tika) = I fucking hate Tika's? :ROFLMAO:

[QUOTE = "357Max, post: 8522144, membro: 141941"]
Va bene chi qui parla italiano?

Benvenuti nel Forum Stefano. Se riesci a leggere questo, prova a utilizzare Google Translate durante la pubblicazione in modo che possiamo leggerlo. Non so come farlo, ma sono sicuro che qualcuno qui può farlo.

Penso che significhi (Non mi piace tika) = Odio il cazzo di Tika? : ROFLMAO:
[/CITAZIONE]

odio esattamente Tika

Stefano - I'm not sure how available Rem 700's are over there, but they are a good rifle if you get a heavy barrel police or Sendero.
another option to consider might be a Steyr pro hunter.

@Maser you feel like trying to help @STEFANO change his settings so we can read his posts?

I tagged you because you'd mentioned in a post somewhere you converse with people over seas. Thought you may be able to help get him fixed up.
Pretty sure Stefano can read our posts just fine.

[QUOTE = "357Max, post: 8522171, membro: 141941"]
Stefano - Non sono sicuro di quanto siano disponibili Rem 700, ma sono un buon fucile se prendi una polizia a botte pesante o Sendero.
un'altra opzione da considerare potrebbe essere un cacciatore professionista di Steyr.

[USER = 8347] [USER = 8347] [USER = 8347] @Maser [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] hai voglia di aiutare [USER = 153588] [USER = 153588] [USER = 153588] @STEFANO [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] a cambiare le sue regole in modo che possiamo leggere i suoi post?

Ti ho taggato perché avevi menzionato in un post da qualche parte conversare con le persone in mare. Ho pensato che potresti essere in grado di aiutare a sistemarlo.
Abbastanza sicuro che Stefano possa leggere bene i nostri post.
[/ CITAZIONE]

Ho già uno steyr ssg 08 nel 308, vorrei avere un mauser o un remington adl in 6.5 creedmoor

[QUOTE = "357Max, post: 8522171, membro: 141941"]
Stefano - Non sono sicuro di quanto siano disponibili Rem 700, ma sono un buon fucile se prendi una polizia a botte pesante o Sendero.
un'altra opzione da considerare potrebbe essere un cacciatore professionista di Steyr.

[USER = 8347] [USER = 8347] [USER = 8347] @Maser [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] hai voglia di aiutare [USER = 153588] [USER = 153588] [USER = 153588] @STEFANO [/ USER] [/ USER] [/ USER] a cambiare le sue regole in modo che possiamo leggere i suoi post?

Ti ho taggato perché avevi menzionato in un post da qualche parte conversare con le persone in mare. Ho pensato che potresti essere in grado di aiutare a sistemarlo.
Abbastanza sicuro che Stefano possa leggere bene i nostri post.
[/ CITAZIONE]

Ho già uno steyr ssg 08 nel 308, vorrei avere un mauser o un remington adl in 6.5 creedmoor

Translation = I already have a steyr ssg 08 in 308, I would like to have a mauser or a remington adl in 6.5 creedmoor

Gotcha, If it was me I'd go with the Remington out of those 2 choices. The fact that you can change/upgrade anything on the Remington make it an easy choice for me.

If funds allowed the Mauser M12 would be a nice option with a more refined action.

The Remington 700 5R 6.5 Creedmore 24 would be a good choice for that. It weighs a little over 8lbs without scope.

I'll throw one more out there for you to look at. A Barret Field craft 6.5 Creedmore.

If weight matters to you, the 6.5 Creedmore Fieldcraft weighs 5 lb 3 oz. or about 3 lbs less then the 700 5R
They come with a fluted bolt, Carbon fiber stock, Timney adjustable trigger, 8-32 scope/ring mount bolts, and 3" long mag box if you want to hand load heavy bullets long. If you look around on searches including on this forum you will find a lot of positive reviews on them.

@STEFANO

What is the availability of various rifles over there in Italy? I would think you could also get Zastava? Also, is it relatively easy to find a gunsmith there in Italy and how easy is it to get work done on a rifle. I know Italy has a huge firearms manufacturing base, but modifications can be difficult in some countries over there.

Translated:
Qual è la disponibilità di vari fucili laggiù in Italia? Penserei che potresti anche prendere Zastava? Inoltre, è relativamente facile trovare un armaiolo in Italia e quanto è facile lavorare su un fucile. So che l'Italia ha un'enorme base di produzione di armi da fuoco, ma le modifiche possono essere difficili in alcuni paesi laggiù.

Ci sono molte case di armi, sono un po 'costose, volevo qualcosa dalla fabbrica ma da 500/1000 $ non personalizzato ... o già Mauser k98. Steyr SSG08, Blaser R93 ..

Ci sono molte case di armi, sono un po 'costose, volevo qualcosa dalla fabbrica ma da 500/1000 $ non personalizzato ... o già Mauser k98. Steyr SSG08, Blaser R93 ..
ciao Stefano, sembra che il tuo traduttore sia di nuovo a terra. In quale parte d'Italia ti trovi

@STEFANO

What is the availability of various rifles over there in Italy? I would think you could also get Zastava? Also, is it relatively easy to find a gunsmith there in Italy and how easy is it to get work done on a rifle. I know Italy has a huge firearms manufacturing base, but modifications can be difficult in some countries over there.

Translated:
Qual è la disponibilità di vari fucili laggiù in Italia? Penserei che potresti anche prendere Zastava? Inoltre, è relativamente facile trovare un armaiolo in Italia e quanto è facile lavorare su un fucile. So che l'Italia ha un'enorme base di produzione di armi da fuoco, ma le modifiche possono essere difficili in alcuni paesi laggiù.
I would think Tikka since Beretta and Benelli are from Italy?