• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

MESSED UP STUFF YOU’VE DONE AT YOUR RANGE

In my shotgun game days, loaded a shell with confetti instead of shot. Slipped it in a team mates shell pouch with him unaware, that was funny. Did it again with cigarette butts couple months later. The best one was a shell loaded up with black powder, still laugh remembering that one.

My favorite story. Two fellows were trying to sight in one of the fellows new, lever action deer rifle. They set up a target at 50 yards. With no backstop to help, after about ten shots they were not even close to the target. (It was a large sheet of cardboard, at least 3 feet by 4 feet) The owner of the rifle, looked up at the other (who was just trying to help). Looked up at the other fellow and asked….What do we do now, move to a 100.

My stupid story. At a shooting class, checking sights at 100 yards. No two shots would land close to another. Finally my son came up and checked my rifle. The scope mount was so loose, it’s a wonder the scope did not fall off the rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and HPIguy
Different than most of the intended stories being told, but still one of my favorite “range” memories.

My Dad took me to the range occasionally when I was young. One specific trip, I was probably 10-12 years old. I hardly ever got to drink pop when I was a kid, but on every range trip I could get a Dr. Pepper at the gas station on the way there. My dad drove an early ‘90s Dodge Dakota at the time, which had a dual cup holder directly in front of the passenger that popped out of the dashboard. (Photo below for clarity, red arrow was the cup holder pop-out)
93CBB5DE-1C20-4E73-A2CE-F5C94394B475.jpeg

So we’re driving along, and I’m enjoying my Dr. Pepper. Dad asks me to grab the range gate key out of the range bag in the back seat, because we were getting close to our destination. I placed my Dr. Pepper in that cup holder, undid my seat belt, and flipped around over my seat back to grab whatever it was. Some asshole blew through a country intersection/stop sign in front of our truck and Dad was forced to slam on the brakes, bringing the truck to a dead stop. Of course, I slammed forward into that cup holder, which proceeded to slam shut (trying to close up into the dashboard) which resulted in 8-10oz of fine mist from the top of my open Dr. Pepper bottle spraying all over the dash, headliner, and windshield. I wound up tightly folded at the waist in a V down to the floorboard, near completely under the dashboard, where I was unable to move until Dad helped free me.

The combination of an unexplained liquid spraying all over the inside of the truck at the same time I hit the dashboard, my apparent inability to move, and my silent shock at his sudden stop caused Dad to scream; “OH MY GOD! HIS HEAD EXPLODED!” (to himself apparently).

He figured out the actual cause of the mysterious brown liquid sprayed all over the truck pretty much immediately, bursting into laughter at the absurdity of his original belief.

The story probably doesn’t translate as well to writing as I remember it, but damn was it funny at the time.

Different than most of the intended stories being told, but still one of my favorite “range” memories.

My Dad took me to the range occasionally when I was young. One specific trip, I was probably 10-12 years old. I hardly ever got to drink pop when I was a kid, but on every range trip I could get a Dr. Pepper at the gas station on the way there. My dad drove an early ‘90s Dodge Dakota at the time, which had a dual cup holder directly in front of the passenger that popped out of the dashboard. (Photo below for clarity, red arrow was the cup holder pop-out)
View attachment 8499855
So we’re driving along, and I’m enjoying my Dr. Pepper. Dad asks me to grab the range gate key out of the range bag in the back seat, because we were getting close to our destination. I placed my Dr. Pepper in that cup holder, undid my seat belt, and flipped around over my seat back to grab whatever it was. Some asshole blew through a country intersection/stop sign in front of our truck and Dad was forced to slam on the brakes, bringing the truck to a dead stop. Of course, I slammed forward into that cup holder, which proceeded to slam shut (trying to close up into the dashboard) which resulted in 8-10oz of fine mist from the top of my open Dr. Pepper bottle spraying all over the dash, headliner, and windshield. I wound up tightly folded at the waist in a V down to the floorboard, near completely under the dashboard, where I was unable to move until Dad helped free me.

The combination of an unexplained liquid spraying all over the inside of the truck at the same time I hit the dashboard, my apparent inability to move, and my silent shock at his sudden stop caused Dad to scream; “OH MY GOD! HIS HEAD EXPLODED!” (to himself apparently).

He figured out the actual cause of the mysterious brown liquid sprayed all over the truck pretty much immediately, bursting into laughter at the absurdity of his original belief.

The story probably doesn’t translate as well to writing as I remember it, but damn was it funny at the time.
No, it did. I’m sitting here giggling out loud, imagining the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and Anb618
So for my part, I am- apparently- the guy that everyone at the range wants to talk to. It doesn’t seem to matter which range, or how crowded; when the line goes cold, someone is coming over to chat. I’m not famous or particularly good looking, and my guns are pretty bog-standard ARs. I can’t explain it, but I can predict it.

I’m a member of a private range. I was there alone, and another member who just happened to be driving by the property saw my vehicle and pulled in to chat. No, I’d never met him before. Ok, TBF, he saw my Jeep with the doors off and decided to alert me to the possibility of rain later.

Beyond being a chat-magnet. I’m pretty low key at the range. No real shenanigans to report.

I’ve done some surgery to a rifle between stages at a comp once. The bolt shroud on my RPR let go at the end of a stage. This allowed the cocking piece to rotate w/n the receiver extension. This prevented the closing of the bolt. In order to access the cocking piece, I needed to close the bolt and fold the stock. But the stock could not be folded b/c the bolt would not go into battery. Rectifying the issue required removal of the butt-stock and the receiver extension. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to pack my mobile tool kit. The shroud had cracked, but would (mostly) hold on the back end of the bolt. Got the rifle broke down and rebuilt between stages, before my shooting slot came up. I was able to limp the rifle through the rest of the match (it was just a couple of stages remaining iirc), and I ordered a new aftermarket shroud when I got home. Yeah, pretty boring.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and HPIguy

View attachment 8499855

Epic!...

Reactions: Anb618
MD at a CAS/SASS Match and for some reason forgot all of my gun leather at home. No time to run home and get it.🤦🏼‍♂️🙄. I got very good at table starts for everything, but pulling shot shells from the brass bag instead of a belt is a PITA

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel
Minor foul-up of mine. I grabbed some .308 ammo, including a box I had bought recently.

Go through the first box. Start on the second, loads in the factory magazine fine but will not chamber. I check to make sure of no obstruction.

Still won't chamber. This time, I really read the box, which I did not do when I bought or brought it with me.

.308 Marlin Express.

"Doh!"

I still have the box. Literally no one I know in my area or circle of friends shoots .308 Mar Exp. Why the hell would anyone make what is obviously a fudd wildcat? And why would the store stock it if no one in the area that they know and sell to would be shooting that.

Twice I got burned at the range from hot case. Once was a 9mm fired from my pistol, it bounced on the wall of the range and right between my glasses and my face. Took a while to get it off my face and got a nice burn on my eye bags.
Second time was when a neighboring lanes 7.62x54r round bounced onto my neck from his mosin? Big burns from that one!

• Haha
Reactions: MO Fugga and Edsel
Twice I got burned at the range from hot case. Once was a 9mm fired from my pistol, it bounced on the wall of the range and right between my glasses and my face. Took a while to get it off my face and got a nice burn on my eye bags.
Second time was when a neighboring lanes 7.62x54r round bounced onto my neck from his mosin? Big burns from that one!
Was shooting with my son at the range recently. I was sweeping up some brass and he was shooting a 22lr pistol. A spent piece of brass flew straight from the gun into my shoe. I don’t mean it hit my shoe. I mean it found a small gap at the top and wedged itself under my instep. Note to self, wear socks at the range…

View attachment 8499855

That reminds me of the scene in Memphis Belle where they took a flak round in the cockpit. Blood went everywhere, spewed all over the cockpit. The Captain and FO were screaming at each other over who was hit, completely freaking out. Neither one appeared to be but there was blood everywhere. They finally realized the hit had exploded a thermos of tomato soup one of them had brought along.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and Anb618
Try black powder cartridge ejected from a Winchester ‘73. Just a range day, wearing a ball cap and t-shirt. The smoking case came down the back of my neck and into the collar of the shirt and continued down. A nice burn right above my trousers belt.🤦🏼‍♂️

Also having a high lumen LED flashlight come on in a pocket under the gun belt is no fun either.

• Haha
I got a couple-one is mine and the other is a buddy. First off, I was goofing off at a local rock pit where we all like to shoot. After shooting seriously for a few I grabbed a pound or so of tannerite and set it out at about 20-30 yards…yeah you heard that right. Glad I was shooting from prone cause the rocks that went over my body would have hurt a lot worse than the ones that peppered me. The other one was a pistol/carbine training event. My buddy somehow forgot to sling his carbine for one drill. It required a transition to pistol and he promptly and effectively tossed his ar15 behind him into the gravel when he switched to his pistol. Needless to say the instructor was pretty pleased with that.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and Jscb1b
When I got my AR-10, I had not fired it with the collapsing stock. Instead, I ordered and installed a rifle tube and the Magpul PRS Gen III adjustable stock. Well, that rifle tube came with a different buffer that turned out to be lighter than the original. I did not realize this, being a moron. By the way, the gas is mid-length and non-adjustable.

So, I go to shoot a few rounds at an indoor range. Then I am getting incomplete ejection and double feeds. Symptoms of overgassing. Well, I clear one stuck cartridge and and the press the BCG release but my finger was still inside the trigger guard. So, the gun fired and I hit a baffle.

An RSO asked me if I had a negligent discharge. I had to admit that I did. Which ended my visit for the day. And I would have to pay for and take a safety class before they would consider me eligible to shoot there again.

I did not book a class right away. I spent a week kicking my own butt. Every time I wanted to say it happened because of this or that, I would review the instruction manual. I checked out videos on overgassing. Not a single one of them said to solve the problem while keeping your finger in the trigger guard. There was no excuse and this is serious business.

Finally, I booked a class with one of their instructors. I was the only one in the class for that. I fit the profile. A guy in his 50s at the time, shooting for most of his life ( I had shot on and off since I was 10.) There are two types of shooters. Those who have had an ND and those who will have an ND.

The one thing I did not say, and this was a big plus for me, was "at least no one got hurt."

That is not the point. The point is, that round could have gone anywhere. Or caused a ricochet if it something that fragmented.

He told me guys have shown up and you can smell booze on their breath and they refuse the visit.

So, after some safety instruction, he handed my an AR-15 practice rifle and asked me how to aim and shoot and the first thing I did was pull the charging handle and out popped a dummy round.

Never assume a rifle is unloaded.

So, I got cleared to shoot there again.

Do I win the idiot of the range award?

Ediited to add: I ended with a total of 3 buffers and took out the weights and combined until I got 6.1 ounces, which solved the problem.
No sir. I might have you topped on that one. This one still makes my face turn a little red. I was at a big shooting school doing a pistol course with a bunch of friends. One evening we all got cleaned up to go out for dinner. I had a brand new Glock 48 for concealed carry, but for some reason I opted to clear it and leave it in my luggage and carry my main pistol. Well I “thought” I dropped the magazine before I racked the slide to clear the chamber. Then for some brain fart reason I decided to “drop the hammer” as it were and I fired a round through a bunk bed ladder, through an exterior wall, and it glanced of the concrete sidewalk right in front of one of my good friends. Deathly silence filled the airbnb and one of my other friends said “was that what I think it was?” Yeah, yours truly with years of shooting fired a pistol and nearly injured a friend. Needless to say I made a vow that I would not be an arrogant idiot anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and Ronws
IMG_3742.jpeg

More Weapons of Mass Embarrassment in the works.

Powder contaminants, for my next batch of indoor Pistol Range plinkers.

Despite actively avoiding lead, I figure they should at least get a yearly visit…

…and be soothed by the calming aromas of Sandalwood and Lavender.

Last edited:
Somethings need to remain unspoken/ written, might be warrants involved n such.

Try using the search function for various racial and ethnic slurs on this forum - it’s drenched in them.

Page after God - damned page of results.

We’re practically one big hate group, and it’s viscerally revolting.

That association worries me far more, just being here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryle
My range retard tricks:

-forget ammo
-forget rifle
-forget shooting partner
-show up late
-forget ear pro
-forget targets
-left stapler somewhere, not w me
-forgot close toe shoes
-forget chrono

Follow me for more tips on how to waste your own time.
All of the above

Since I started with others at the range

Mid/late 90s at my first requalifying for CC, I convinced a buddy who didn't have his CC to attend the class with me and I'd do the whole day too.

Guy in class, taking the course because he's the "security" at his apartment complex, instructor told him to leave.

When we finally get to the range portion, lady pulls out a S&W 29, she didn't make the cut, she hit the top of the target holder with the first 2 rounds.

Guy sets up between me and my buddy, same table as my buddy. Proceeded to pull out a brand new P95, dripping with whatever Ruger coats them with and locks the slide back and peeks down the barrel, RO lost it. Allows him to stay. After the qualifying portion, I am looking at Randy's target because he's upset with his 242 score, I said did you explain to the RO that those are 9mm holes and not 45 holes 🤣

Dude shot his target 4 times, rando guy failed the qualifying portion ftr.

There was a big Samoan kid, I mean like near 7ft big shooting a P7 squeeze cocker, looked like a squirt gun in his hand, left the line after a guy next to him launched a couple pieces of hot brass his direction. RO let him shoot by himself, kid destroyed the center of the target, he'd obviously handled that H&K numerous times before that day.

• Haha
In my less knowledgeable days (less than 10 years ago) I took a 10" pipe blind from work to use as a target. Shot it with steel core Chinese bulk 7.62x39 ammo. The sound bullets make when they ricochet past your head is something else. Still have that blind as a souvenir and future lesson for the kids.

• Haha
Happened to me last week. First time shooting at the new range after moving. I have a milti-caliber rifle. Take a shot at my target at 500, cycle the bolt, but no case. Pop it out with my emergency cleaning rod. Brass comes right out. Take another shot... same thing. Figure my bolt/extractor is jacked up, so pull out the bolt and immediately see I used the .338 bolt to shoot 6.5x47.

My hearing is pretty bad. When am at the range with ear pro I can’t hear shit, usually is pretty windy out here so I keep the audio off. People come up to me and have full on conversations and I just hit them with the “that’s crazy”. I haven’t talked to anyone in years 😢
I mow with noise cancelling earbuds in. I've been doing this for years, yet my wife and son still insist on walking right up to me as I'm stepping off the tractor and start having a conversation with me long before I even realize they're there. I have to pop the headphones out and say "Okay now start again". Every. single. time.

My daughters don't have this issue and they patiently wait for me to give them the go-ahead before they start talking lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Edsel and Islas82