• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Military releases report on Sig M17/18 accidental discharge

Interesting article but the first thing I would have done is compared the incident reports for Sigs vs. prior issued hand guns over the same length of time. I own a Beretta 92 series M9 as well as an M18 and objectively, I can see how more mistakes could be made with the M18 but it still seems to be a holster and training issue to me.

Interesting article but the first thing I would have done is compared the incident reports for Sigs vs. prior issued hand guns over the same length of time. I own a Beretta 92 series M9 as well as an M18 and objectively, I can see how more mistakes could be made with the M18 but it still seems to be a holster and training issue to me.

No, it's an issue of the guns firing when dropped. This has been well documented and replicated in controlled testing conditions.

This is one of the main reasons I now avoid all sig products. I have found them to be poorly engineered, overly complicated, and insufficiently beta tested.

I do not get paid to beta test guns for sig, and until they do pay me, I do not plan to pay my hard earned money for sig products.

Reactions: 01911
Well I just tested my p320 spectre and I guess I got one of the ones that wont go off when dropped like that. I dropped it 10 times like in the video and it didn't fail. Kinda sucks though because you'll never know for sure

No, it's an issue of the guns firing when dropped. This has been well documented and replicated in controlled testing conditions.
You're quoting SIX YEAR OLD videos. Sig had a recall. If you read the article thoroughly, it talked about the initial drop fire incidents and Sig's fixes for them which were implemented throughout the military issue as well as the civilian guns. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the Sig but almost all the incidents now come from guns that are holstered "correctly" or otherwise.

Well I just tested my p320 spectre and I guess I got one of the ones that wont go off when dropped like that. I dropped it 10 times like in the video and it didn't fail. Kinda sucks though because you'll never know for sure
I was getting my AXG ready to go to the range from my safe.

I keep my pistols on a shelf, in a rack, the rack generally holding them muzzle down, blackstrap toward person at the safe door.

I inserted full mag of 17, racked the slide, than had to look around for my extra round to top the magazine.

I put the pistol back in the rack.

I didn’t realize with a magazine the butt was so heavy it caused the pistol to overcome the muzzle counterweight.

As I looked for the spare round I watched in slow motion horror as the rear of the pistol sank in its rack rotating the barrel back toward the safe door and me.

I should have ran screaming like a girl but I stupidly tried catching it, feeling it fumble through my hands as it now fell through space - lucky one of my fingers didn’t end up in the trigger guard.

After passing through my hands like a greased pig it stabilized - blackstrap square to edge of steel safe door jamb.

It hit hard enough to mark the cerakote but did not go bang.

It was enough drop test for me. I’m sure that one has good sear interface and the trigger is light enough not to overcome its springs.

If I want an absolutely safe pistol I will carry a 1911 with its three different safeties.

How any striker fire gets called safer than a 1911 escapes me.

It all depends on user in most cases.

Last edited:
MEH............. LEO's and military the two worst gun handling groups by FAR. I shot IPSC for many years, the first rule was to avoid LEO and military as you probably will get shot................GOD forbid you got one on your squad, total cluster@@@@. Plan on spending the day listening to them argue with the RO.
534DC751-C1D8-4889-B96E-E800CB1B1D28.jpeg

Was watching a Ben Stoeger short the other day. He was talking about Sig losing its first court case over 320s discharging. I have not seen the evidence, but according to the clip the pistol was photographed before it was unholstered and it showed the pistol did fire in the holster, with the spent case jammed in between the pistol and the holster. Not sure how that could be accomplished with poor holstering.

I cannot wrap my head around how this happens. Doesn’t seem physically possible, but after seeing that one go off in the school, IMO not all of claims are bullshit claims.

I have 6-7 Sig pistols, to include an original 320 (not sent back yet) in a M17 kit. Half of them have had a failure of some sort or required return for a failure. I’m done with Modern Sigs.

Our Soldiers deserve better and we do too. I don’t want to see Sig sued out of existence, but they can and should do better.

Reactions: WB300
this was posted on another site not sure how accurate a source.

From the report of the incident at Letterkenny Army Depot, PA:

*Weapon is an M17 Modular Hand System (MHS) NSN: 1005-01-661-7317
*Holster is a Safariland 7360-7TS ALS/SLS Mid Ride, Level 3 Retention Duty Holster, Right Hand, Plain Black
*Flashlight is a Streamlight TLR 1 HL

A number of reported incidents revolve around the use (misuse) of the Safariland holster and weapon mounted lights. IIRC, Safariland has issued a warning about their holsters.