• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

most push ups & chin ups in a row you can do?

Re: most push ups & chin ups in a row you can do?

One of the guys who trains MMA close to here is like that but the opposite , he can't lift shit in the gym but is just a powerfull guy , can do dozens of pull up in a row , does the rope climb like monkey , has a 43" vertical jump !!! dose the tire flip faster and farther than guys that are clearly much more muscular.
This guy had never trained in a gym but grew up on a farm and bailed hay his whole life so i think that what you have conditioned your body for is what you will be good at.

I also know a couple fellow body builders who are not as strong as you would think for a one rep max and are the typical "big guy" build and performance , can't bend over to tie their shoes , balance on one foot reach accross the top of their head to pull the opposite ear. These guys all got realy big realy fast and i believe their body could not adapt fast enough

Im sixteen and i maxed 82 pushups last weekend. last time i tried doing pullups (deadlift) i maxed 24. I wish i could get the pullups up quite a bit higher.

It seems a great way for me to build pushups is to max reps in one set before the morning routine and at the end of the day do as many sets of 30 at a time as you can. Im at 5 sets in under 12 minutes right now and hoping it helps in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems a great way for me to build pushups is to max reps in one set before the morning routine and at the end of the day do as many sets of 30 at a time as you can. Im at 5 sets in under 12 minutes right now and hoping it helps in the long run.
</div></div>

Also try varying your hand position a little with each set , this will activate the muscle from differant directions and stimulate it to adapt making it over all stronger

being 25 yrs old. 5'10" 177 lbs
i can do 35 pull ups (i stopped at 35 so i could do 3 sets of 35 to equal 105 total for the workout *part of my modified '300' workout*
done 85 pushups but that was towards the end of my workout.

the most weighted pullups i have done is 10 with 90lbs extra weight.

i feel i am pretty strong for my weight. i have flat benched 2.03 times my body weight. that was just before new years when i weighed 175 (weighed in @177 today). have done it a few times over the years too but have steadily gained bodyweight also.

could go on and on but my stats really arent that impressive...i dont live at the gym (wish i did though ha)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also try varying your hand position a little with each set , this will activate the muscle from differant directions and stimulate it to adapt making it over all stronger </div></div>

Allready got it covered
wink.gif
I alternate between diamond and extra wide, but usually after im burnt out of regular spacing. I've also found that either doing them on my knuckles or with my fingers pointed inwards a bit more relieves alot of stress on my wrists. I don't know if it's as beneficial but it does allow me to work alot longer and harder without nearly as much discomfort.

Thanks,
Dylan

I've done 29 legit pull ups,but on a average day I can always get 20. not sure about push ups, I'll have to try do it in a row and see what I can get, think a good goal would be 25 and a 100 with correct form consistently.

Ok, first, are you guys saying you can do 100+ pushups without stopping or touching the ground anywhere in between? If so, thats pretty badass. I thought I was doing well, but all the pushups I can do without stopping or touching the ground is 74 and chins, I did 30 in 45 seconds to win a shirt at some concert, but maybe coulda got 35. And the chins too is without stopping.

If i had to push now until i couldnt continue with good form and not stopping, i could make it to 70 maybe 75. Pull ups, i know 15 can be done but beyond that not sure. I havent done them in a while. I am 6 ft and 190 pounds. Maybe the numbers would be higher if there was a nice drink involved afterword.

I can't speak for the rest of the guys who posted but my numbers were non-stop.

On that note though, does the military require them non-stop or will they allow you to take short pauses as long as your still in form?

When I was in the 9th grade I set the school record that still stands today of 751 pushups. Also, 28 pull-ups, and 54 bar dips. The pull ups lasted two years, the bar dips 5-6. But, the push-ups are still there. I never got into doing them again, even when I had to in the Army. But, when I was in the Army, the only time I didn't max the PT test was in Basic when I ran the 2-mile in 13:20 (13:00 was max for my age) In SFUWO in '83 our class was the first class to run a mile in under 5 minutes (10 people in formation and I was on that list). It has since been broken. After SFUWO I routinely ran the 2 mile in 10:30 or so.

The most I ever benched was 340, squatted 510, dead-lifted 535, clean and jerked-280, snatched 205.

Fast forward a lot of years and a couple knee/shoulder surgeries, I don't run anymore. Nor do I do deep squats or bench heavy. I found the best exercise for me is just swimming a mile a day or every other day in around 30-34 minutes. I augment that with massive reps with relatively light dumbells for arms, chest and shallow squats. I also do the surgical tube exercises for core exercises for the upper body. But, without hitting it routinely I find I need to focus more on my diet and eating to keep the weight down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was in the 9th grade I set the school record that still stands today of 751 pushups.</div></div>

Sorry but i call bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was in the 9th grade I set the school record that still stands today of 751 pushups.</div></div>

Sorry but i call bullshit. </div></div>

Why do you call bullshit?

102 Push-ups in 2 minutes, 42 pullups deadhang (never timed them). I only weigh 155 pounds, I don't have much bodyfat at all, genetics play a HUGE part of my physicality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you call bullshit?</div></div>
I just think 751 pushups for a 9th grader is a bit unbelievable. I guess if that is assuming they were all done at one time but even then a 9th grader? Really? Do you believe it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you call bullshit?</div></div>
I just think 751 pushups for a 9th grader is a bit unbelievable. I guess if that is assuming they were all done at one time but even then a 9th grader? Really? Do you believe it? </div></div>

I'm just giving Sandwarrior the benefit of the doubt that he's not jerking a bunch of internet dicks over his 9th grade pushup record.

The details of how long he had or what measurement methods/breaks were allowed haven't been declared.

Just calling him a flat out liar, when you've no real good reason to do so isn't exactly tactful. He's a respected member here as far as I've ever seen so there's no reason to drag him through the mud like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was in the 9th grade I set the school record that still stands today of 751 pushups.</div></div>

Sorry but i call bullshit. </div></div>

You can call bullshit all you want. I did it. In one PE period too. E.C. Best Junior High, Fallon, Nevada. Check it out if you don't believe it. I trained all year to accomplish that. There were no other rewards other than to say I set a record. If you didn't catch the meaning also of what I said, I did all that then wondered why? It meant nothing other than to say I had a record.

Now, why do you think someone couldn't do it? Because you can't? Or, didn't have the motivation to do it? When you are 120 lbs. and buck bales that are about 100-135 lbs you get a little strength and endurance built up. As I said I trained for the entire year to accomplish that.

In the future, you might look a little more educated too if you would learn to capitalize "I" when it's by itself, meaning yourself. I learned that before the ninth grade. But, had to go over it again in the 9th grade. Just because that was the curriculum.

<span style="color: #6600CC">Edit:

It's now an elementary school. But, it was a junior high when I went there. 8th and 9th grade. (9th grade was considered part of your high school for grades though). </span>

I played highschool football with a Samoan guy , he was in 10th grade and i saw him do 200 pushup at once and made it look fairly easy , the guy was a genetic freak!!
The coach was making us do 20 at a time when we blew a play and this guy kept jumping off sides , the third time he did it the coach called out for his pushups and he banged out 200 , he popped right up and said "those are for later" !!

Im sorry i doubted you and it really doesn't matter. If you say you did it then fine, i belive you. As far as the "i's" go, i will not capitalize them unless they should appear at the beginning of a sentence. If im physically writing then i will, if im typing an essay then i will, but on a forum where i only need to convey the general idea im sorry but i just don't see the point. There are alot of members here with far worse punctuation and grammar than myself and i find it hard to read posts of others attacking them on that. I would not do that but i would be skeptical about something i believe could be untrue. But again, it doesn't really matter. I do commend you for your accomplishment and only wish i could do even a quarter of as many non-stop.

I meant no disrespect

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im sorry i doubted you and it really doesn't matter. If you say you did it then fine, i belive you. <span style="font-weight: bold">As far as the "i's" go, i will not capitalize them unless they should appear at the beginning of a sentence.</span> If im physically writing then i will, if im typing an essay then i will, but on a forum where i only need to convey the general idea im sorry but i just don't see the point. There are alot of members here with far worse punctuation and grammar than myself and i find it hard to read posts of others attacking them on that. I would not do that but i would be skeptical about something i believe could be untrue. But again, it doesn't really matter. I do commend you for your accomplishment and only wish i could do even a quarter of as many non-stop.

I meant no disrespect</div></div>

Maybe I should apologize in return then. It was a backhanded reaction to getting called out. So, I apologize. That statement wasn't necessary.

And, thank you for the acknowledgement. As I didn't say in so many words before, I set the record to say "I did it." Thinking beforehand it would garner some kind of respect for doing it. When I got done doing it, there were even bigger records, but I found I just wasn't interested in doing push-ups all day and night to beat those. I quit while I was ahead. I thought afterword it was something of a waste of time and energy. Because my thought process was that it would impress everyone and of course put me in the 'inclusive' club. I ended up just going on and being me. My friends were still the same way to me as before. People who didn't like me (very few) used it as an excuse to laugh at.

I guess you could say I came to the revelation afterwards, that what you do should mean something to you and not what you think everyone else will be impressed with. Impressing others will never be self-fulfilling.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

One simple fact I don't always take into account though is that no matter what the task you give yourself, I know now that I had the tenacity and determination to accomplish what I set out to do. That in itself was fulfilling whether I believed it or not on a day to day basis.</span>

Well if I can go back 33 years, memory is a little fuzzy but at the time I was a distance runner, 5'5" 132#'s. Mile in 4.45, 2 mile in 10.17. Marathon in 3.39.29 ( practiced a whole week for that one!)101 or 102 push ups in a minute, 75 or 76 sit ups in a minute. Benched 235#'s just once. Mostly rep'ed with 205-210.
Thats my best recollection and I'm sticking to it :)

I can do 91 pushups but only 16 pullups. Back in the day when I was a young Marine I could do 31 pullups without kipping.Right now my teenage sons and I are doing the Pre-Buds workout. I hope to raise the number of pullups I can do to at least 20. I find it motivating working out with my sons. They are tougher than woodpecker lips and they inspire me to keep in shape.

not bad!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the guys in my platoon took a bet that he couldnt do 1000 pushups under an hour. He did it in 43 minutes.

STUD! </div></div>

I don't know about push ups and chins, but I started doing this every once in a while: (it's Frankie Edgar UFC champ in the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BwaZKx0ZA

At 185 I could do 25-30reps bench to 35-40 pull ups, no rest between. I'm closer to 205 now, after the Holiday blubber fest, so I doubt my numbers would be very good. I'm back on a diet though so I will get back to this thread in a few months when I'm back down to fighting weight
wink.gif
I really dig these types of exercises for figuring out your ideal power/weight ratio, just like a car or motorcycle.

I bought a 50$ pullups bar, tried it on my door frame, then never used it.

At the gym, I managed to do 25 chinups with wide grip in a row. I don't really train for that, I usually do them in sets, or on a pully with weights.

Never counted my pushups. But I once did 25 reps with 1 plate on the bench. After my program. Just for shit and giggles.

Im 6'4" and 160lbs (yes, Im a skinny guy).

My best minute reps in the AFPFT were:
62 sit ups
58 push ups

Other maxes:
11 pull ups
26 chin ups

A good friend of mine set the record in the Army in 97. I dont know if it was just his unit or what. It was 1377 pushups in a row if I remember right. I will ask him again. Wont say his name on a forum as has moved up in the Mil world. He is a machine though. 5 "7' and is a freak. He is 35 now and still runs 5.40 miles. He is one of the most mentally strong people I know.
I'll add this. The guy that beat his record a few years later destroyed it. Did over 2k.The World record right now is 10,507 push ups non stop.

Back in the day my gunny dropped me for 100 push-ups...counted ...got up and said something smart and got dropped again for 100 more...the remarks I made were racist and he was black so that didn't help much....and NO...I am NOT racist.

I wouldn't have done them had he not asked me...never could do pull-ups very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the day my gunny dropped me for 100 push-ups...counted ...got up and said something smart and got dropped again for 100 more...the remarks I made were racist and he was black so that didn't help much....and NO...I am NOT racist.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">I wouldn't have done them had he not asked me</span></span>...never could do pull-ups very well. </div></div>

I like how you put that...."asked"...lol