• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

He did more than sell missles. I grew up in the small town that was the hub of the Contra excitement and worked at the airport where most of that stuff came in and out. My dad has some stories that would make you say hmmm

Hate to break it to you Mate.........they’re still in operation. Most of them were built in Winterthur. I’ll get you some pics of the steam engines on the ferry boats. 120 years old, look like they just left the factory......
Simply amazing ???

Hi Barn,

Went back and looked through my pics. Unfortunately, I didn't have a wide angle lens when I took the shots, so I only captured portions of the steam engines at a time. They're not coal powered and not knowing much about steam, I can only guess their boilers are fired with fossil fuels, I just don't know what. There was no odor of diesel and I think there would have been if they were using it. Anyway, we've been on multiple boats, some were/are steam powered, some have been "upgraded" to more "modern" diesel (I assume diesel electric). Like everything they do, the engines are spotless and like I said, look like they were just delivered by the factory. Pretty amazing for being over 110 years old,

_DSF1827.jpg

Here's a "not bad" video of the engine on the Schiller, which if memory serves me correct, is the same boat on which I took the above picture;

Last edited:
I want to say it was in France late '44 or early '45 and there were a few damaged Tiger I's on rail cars to be shipped back to the factory to be repaired when the Germans were ambushed by US forces. The Germans were able to get in the Tigers and do some stuff before overwhelmed.
Even disabled and tore up, the Tigers were formidable.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I want to say it was in France late '44 or early '45 and there were a few damaged Tiger I's on rail cars to be shipped back to the factory to be repaired when the Germans were ambushed by US forces. The Germans were able to get in the Tigers and do some stuff before overwhelmed.
Even disabled and tore up, the Tigers were formidable.
IIRC the German tanks had a positive kill ratio vs. pretty much anything that they came up against including Shermans, the problem was the German tanks were so well made that they were difficult to produce in sufficient numbers. The US on the other hand could build and deliver 10 Sherman tanks for every Panzer or Tiger, we beat them with sheer numbers.

IIRC the German tanks had a positive kill ratio vs. pretty much anything that they came up against including Shermans, the problem was the German tanks were so well made that they were difficult to produce in sufficient numbers. The US on the other hand could build and deliver 10 Sherman tanks for every Panzer or Tiger, we beat them with sheer numbers.
True, although you can argue about well made. Consider that there were only about 1200 Tigers made for the entire war. The Russians made about 40,000 T-34's. About the "well made", that's subjective and arguable. We talk about over engineered at times, but the fact remains that the early German tanks were little more than machine gun carriers (panzer I's), mortars/howitzers (panzer II's) at the start of the war. The French had much better and more numerous tanks (like the Somua or Bis 1) but used them improperly and piecemeal. The later tanks like the Tiger and Panther were horribly unreliable with transmission failures most common. It's been said more of the Tigers and Panthers were lost to breakdown and abandonment than to enemy action. On top of that, repair was a nightmare. You have to remove the turret to get to the transmission. At best a swap out may be a two day job. VS 4 or 5 hours for the Sherman. Many tank guys think the Panzer IV was their best tank overall. If the Panther came out a little earlier with the bugs worked out and in number, that could have been a game changer. But when you deploy 24 tanks and 2 out of 3 don't go beyond 20 miles before a major breakdown, well you know.