• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1722880155116.png

The downside with outboards is it takes blade area in the water to push the boat, and outboards are pretty limited in that reguard. So that's usually when you start seeing a bunch of outboards, more props to push the load.
How much efficiency do you lose by having so many (5 or 6) props so close together? I'd think that you'd get some drag from all of the vortices forming right next to each other, at least in the center.

How much efficiency do you lose by having so many (5 or 6) props so close together? I'd think that you'd get some drag from all of the vortices forming right next to each other, at least in the center.

So I'm going to get into some guessing. Prop tip clearance on inboard and semi-planing hulls is around 10 to 15% of the diameter of the prop. So if that holds true for planing hulls then a 18" prop needs a minimum of ~20" on center. Most outboards I know have a minimum of 25-26" on center for mounting them.

A lot of the drag on a boat comes from the running gear, not just the prop. A lot of the fast inboard boats are either made with prop pockets to tuck all of that up tighter or even out of the water. Or run surface piercing drives so that only half of the prop is in the water at any time.

Reactions: kl3309