• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1722842669890.png

I’ve seen these. Multi-million dollar boats. For all that money and all that horsepower, they are not all that impressive. Even being four cycle outboards I cannot believe it wouldn’t be more economical, and more efficient (and one heck of a lot more practical) with twin diesels. The hassle of trying to operate and maintain six separate engines all hung on a transom staggers the imagination.

IMG_3810.png

I’ve seen these. Multi-million dollar boats. For all that money and all that horsepower, they are not all that impressive. Even being four cycle outboards I cannot believe it wouldn’t be more economical, and more efficient (and one heck of a lot more practical) with twin diesels. The hassle of trying to operate and maintain six separate engines all hung on a transom staggers the imagination.

View attachment 8473288
That's actually interesting. I thought it was just something photoshopped. Aren't those engines like $50K/each? How does that even work? Wouldn't it be better to have 1 big engine than 6 smaller ones? Of course, the sum total of my experience with boats is that I have ridden on "It's A Small World" at Disney World.

• Haha
Reactions: swifticus
That's actually interesting. I thought it was just something photoshopped. Aren't those engines like $50K/each? How does that even work? Wouldn't it be better to have 1 big engine than 6 smaller ones? Of course, the sum total of my experience with boats is that I have ridden on "It's A Small World" at Disney World.
Not even and now Mercury Marine is producing a 600 hp engine. Four mounted runs $320,000. And that is just the four engines. Can’t find it now but Mercury advertising shows SIX of these 80K beasts on the back of a boat.

As far as one large engine, technically when fishing offshore, two is preferred to one. And each engine should have a totally separate and isolated fuel system. When one quits and you are 60 miles offshore, it’s nice to have another to get you home.

As I said, two inboard diesels seems to me to be a much better plan. But then, who am I who struggles, trying to convince Brenda that we need a larger sailboat at the expense of say $20,000. (Or right at the cost of our four precision rifles)

IMG_3812.jpeg
IMG_3814.jpeg

As I said, a third of a million dollars in this picture.

View attachment 8473288
It’s just for show. I’ve seen a few boats with 4/6 outboards and it’s pretty much a F-U I have money and i can do it.

My friends cousin is a big time captain, last gig was piloting the owner of nascar France’s boat. So I’d send him pictures all the time, he’d get the scoop of who’s not paying the bills etc

View attachment 8473288
It’s just for show. I’ve seen a few boats with 4/6 outboards and it’s pretty much a F-U I have money and i can do it.

My friends cousin is a big time captain, last gig was piloting the owner of nascar France’s boat. So I’d send him pictures all the time, he’d get the scoop of who’s not paying the bills etc

iu

It's harder to "swap out" and replace a "one big engine" when needed. And lots more things can go wrong with it, perhaps even leaving one "stranded" out in the middle of the ocean. At least with multiple outboards, you still have some power to return back to port if one engine fails.

Reactions: powerspc
Not even and now Mercury Marine is producing a 600 hp engine. Four mounted runs $320,000. And that is just the four engines. Can’t find it now but Mercury advertising shows SIX of these 80K beasts on the back of a boat.

As far as one large engine, technically when fishing offshore, two is preferred to one. And each engine should have a totally separate and isolated fuel system. When one quits and you are 60 miles offshore, it’s nice to have another to get you home.

As I said, two inboard diesels seems to me to be a much better plan. But then, who am I who struggles, trying to convince Brenda that we need a larger sailboat at the expense of say $20,000. (Or right at the cost of our four precision rifles)

View attachment 8473318View attachment 8473319

As I said, a third of a million dollars in this picture.

I've seen more and more of those ^^^^^ types of pleasure boats sporting outboard motors instead of the traditional inboard engines.

Reactions: Barneybdb
It's harder to "swap out" and replace a "one big engine" when needed. And lots more things can go wrong with it, perhaps even leaving one "stranded" out in the middle of the ocean. At least with multiple outboards, you still have some power to return back to port if one engine fails.

A lot of it is performance as well. The running gear for a inboard is more drag then a outboard, and diesels typically have a shorter rpm window (500-2500rpm). So you are either stuck with a really high minimum speed or a reduced top end. Outboards will spin well past 6,000rpm.

The downside with outboards is it takes blade area in the water to push the boat, and outboards are pretty limited in that reguard. So that's usually when you start seeing a bunch of outboards, more props to push the load.

I spend 15 years of my life on a boat with a single diesel in the bering sea and only broke down once, they can be very reliable as long as the HP to displacement isn't too far out of center.