• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

I was in Cuyamaca the day she got killed. We lived in Ranchita a half mile from the PCT. We had seen multiple big cats around there. Closest i have been to one is during the Cedar fire, had a female cat walk up to the truck. She was burned up bad, I shot her to put her out of her misery. I really do not know how she was alive at that point. We always carried when we were in the back country out there.

1543427761545.jpeg

Couple of good stories:

1. Fishing in the canyons 6 miles north of South Fork, CO. Start seeing dead deer carcasses here and there. Got to thinking that I was probably being watched from the canyon walls. Crossed the stream. Cross the stream again same spot 30 minutes later and find a new bear print. Got the hell out.

2. Lost dog at South Fork. Thought I heard her outside cabin at 11 p.m. Walk out in my underwear and around corner where the noise was coming from. Damn near bumped into a bear standing up and sucking on the damn hummingbird feeder my mother in law left out. I mean i was like inches from him. I just stayed long enough to identify and see him falling away from me. Yelled "Oh shit! Oh shit! Bear! Bear!"
Two weeks later my mother in law sent me a newspaper clipping. They had killed him and he was big.

3. Dad and I decide to go call coyotes one evening. We crawl up in a huge American Elm. I am looking southwest and he is looking southeast. He starts calling and a Bob Cat comes down the fence line towards me and sits under the tree. She looks at me and growls for a good 30-45 minutes. Poor girl had either 4 or 5 little ones. I didn't think they had more than two. The little ones stayed about 10 foot behind her playing. They had her sucked down and she was hungry. Kept wondering if she would trying to eat me. LOL

4. My brother was sitting in a low spot along an abandoned railroad on our property one morning while deer hunting. Bob cat comes along and stops to sniff his toe. My brother must stink bad Lol. He said they cat tensed up, hair stood up, growled, backed up and run off.

We have seen lions 30 miles west of Houston in suburban areas especially after Hurricane Harvey flooding of the Brazos River bottoms. Also seen them through thermal while hunting hogs in East Texas. I've seen game camera pictures of black phased lions that look just like black jaguars you see in the zoo's. Locals have known about them for decades. They are more prevalent than most believe.

Reactions: Garvey
We have seen lions 30 miles west of Houston in suburban areas especially after Hurricane Harvey flooding of the Brazos River bottoms. Also seen them through thermal while hunting hogs in East Texas. I've seen game camera pictures of black phased lions that look just like black jaguars you see in the zoo's. Locals have known about them for decades. They are more prevalent than most believe.

Do the cats hunt the hogs? Growing up in south GA many, many years ago the hogs were much smaller than now. About the only thing that will help control the hog population in TX at this point would be natural predators.

Reactions: Blutroop
Do the cats hunt the hogs? Growing up in south GA many, many years ago the hogs were much smaller than now. About the only thing that will help control the hog population in TX at this point would be natural predators.

Cat looks at pig, thinks, that is one ugly stinking f'er....
Cat looks at deer, thinks, good looking, smells better, nutritious and delicious, tastes just like chicken..
Deer goes down..

We've got big ass Bobcats taking down deer....

Cat looks at pig, thinks, that is one ugly stinking f'er....
Cat looks at deer, thinks, good looking, smells better, nutritious and delicious, tastes just like chicken..
Deer goes down..

We've got big ass Bobcats taking down deer....

Ya, but do you have Drumming Deer? Drumming Deer are the bestest. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think so.

A few years ago, I saw people posting up where they have seen lions in person or on game cam. 254 counties in Texas, and less that 20 did not have a report of a sighting, as best I can remember. I've killed hogs from +400 pounds down to the size of a football, and some as close as 20 yards. My belief is, if a predator has enough to eat, the predator will flourish. There are hundreds of thousands of hogs all across Texas. And I've seen them making a living in some damn hard country, where you would not expect to fin them. My bet is the lion eats as often as he likes. And it is a steady diet of feral hog.

Deer are way easier spooked than hogs. and have better eye sight. If a lion comes in from down wind, he has got the advantage on a sounder. I smoke every coyote I see, but I've got a bit of love for the Bobcat and Mountain Lion.

Deer are way easier spooked than hogs. and have better eye sight. If a lion comes in from down wind, he has got the advantage on a sounder.
I smoke every coyote I see, but I've got a bit of love for the Bobcat and Mountain Lion.
same here . I have had many opportunities to pop nice big Bobcat here out night hunting, But I just like them to much, and they are great to watch if you catch them doing a stalk , they are pure hunters .

I think so.

A few years ago, I saw people posting up where they have seen lions in person or on game cam. 254 counties in Texas, and less that 20 did not have a report of a sighting, as best I can remember. I've killed hogs from +400 pounds down to the size of a football, and some as close as 20 yards. My belief is, if a predator has enough to eat, the predator will flourish. There are hundreds of thousands of hogs all across Texas. And I've seen them making a living in some damn hard country, where you would not expect to fin them. My bet is the lion eats as often as he likes. And it is a steady diet of feral hog.

Deer are way easier spooked than hogs. and have better eye sight. If a lion comes in from down wind, he has got the advantage on a sounder. I smoke every coyote I see, but I've got a bit of love for the Bobcat and Mountain Lion.

Yep, I like big cats also but I have not been stalked, attacked or had to fight one off.

In the absence of large predators, nature will adapt and provide what it needs for balance.

That does not seem to be the case for hogs but that in the Southern part of the US. They are running amok and doing millions of dollars of damage annually. Watch “Pig Bomb” for info on how severe the problem is.

Have been 50ft and less from 3 mt lions, saw 2 of them partner on opposite ridge saw the other.
One stalked my position while turkey calling.

I shot 3 bobcats, out of four one day the largest was 35lb the mother cat.
That was in North Texas.

The bobcats near Vanderpool Texas are twice the size.
I will try and convert a trail cam picture to post, file extension problem.
Been in a stand 20 ft from one of those big bobs.
No shot taken, unsure of landowners preferance at the time.

Now have sop to take them all.
No problem with it, over populated there.

That does not seem to be the case for hogs but that in the Southern part of the US. They are running amok and doing millions of dollars of damage annually. Watch “Pig Bomb” for info on how severe the problem is.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying, "Just let God sort it out." I'm saying, "Kill them all and let God sort them out." Okay, I didn't mean that either.

I figure that if we are to be responsible custodians of this Earth, then we need to understand that nature is, by nature, cruel and real in a non-passionate live or die sorta way. It really does have to do with maintaining a balance of sorts. Sayings such as, "Nature abhors a vacuum." - Aristotle, exist due to observation of reality and natural balance.

Marinevet1,
Thanks for finding that. Having lived in Omaha and grew up near there, I am not surprised at all. Lots of lefties there and a whole bunch of serious patriotic Americans (some might even be Democrat) who have the utmost respect for anyone who served our great republic.

I told my mom about it, she was bummed her and my dad couldn't go and will be very happy to know so many did. Her dad was a WWII vet, her brother is a Vietnam vet, and his son a Gulf War vet.