• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1543459176452.png

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying, "Just let God sort it out." I'm saying, "Kill them all and let God sort them out." Okay, I didn't mean that either.

I figure that if we are to be responsible custodians of this Earth, then we need to understand that nature is, by nature, cruel and real in a non-passionate live or die sorta way. It really does have to do with maintaining a balance of sorts. Sayings such as, "Nature abhors a vacuum." - Aristotle, exist due to observation of reality and natural balance.

I agree with what you posted earlier except when an invasive species is introduced. That is historically catastrophic and has to be handled head on. Unless something new is done concerning wild hogs the results will be devastating.

Yea, I understand there is a bunch of things twisted up in the thread.......,....bobcats..... mountain lions/cougars......Hogs......deer....and a couple of really hot women...........but my post is about the Marine that was put to rest,..... Omaha Nebraska..............

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hundreds-attend-funeral-of-vietnam-vet-with-no-known-family

A Brother.............

Thank You........

This wasn't the thread to post in if you expected to momentarily hijack its intent and purpose. The Bear Pit would have been a much better choice.

Reactions: Flintdog2011
I used to shoot every bobcat I saw. I’d guess 50+ over my lifetime. Largest was 24 lbs. Most were young and made a foolish error in judgement. I don’t shoot bobcats or snakes (unless the dogs or the rattler head toward each other). Still shoot coyotes when I get the chance. Pastures are full of field rats and pack rats. Very unbalanced population. The jackrabbit population is huge also.

Had two ML encounters. One was about midnight and the only thing between me and the roar was a nylon tent. My son and I both just about shipped our pants.

The hogs. especially the young ones are perfect lion food. We watched a sounder of hogs come into our area with thermal one night. We were waiting for a very large boar we knew was sometimes in the area so we just watched. A lion came in downwind from the west behind the sounder. Once the lion knew we were there, it jumped up on a downed white oak tree and just laid down and watched us with its tail flipping from about 25 yards away. After about 30 minutes, the lion left the same way it had come in. We were scanning a field outside of Maydale in east Texas waiting for a sounder to come into the area. We were using thermal cameras with monitors overlooking the area while we were in a camper. We watched a lion come about 10 yards from our camper and lay down watching the door with its tail flipping. My guess is that lion had done that before an was successful in ambushing a dog coming out the door. We watched him on the monitors for almost an hour before he left. Again the locals have known about them for decades. The young hogs sometimes won't spook with the rest of the sounder if they are in tall grass. They will hunker down and we have actually picked them up by hand. Easy pickings for a lion.

I first read about Sasha Siemel in Capstick's book, "Death in Silent Places." Mr. Siemel got bored with shooting jaguars with a rifle. So he decided to kill them with a spear. If you want to read about a man with no fear do some research on Sasha Siemel.

This video has some footage of him killing a jaguar with a spear.

By the way, I had the opportunity to see a black jaguar in a Holland & Holland store in LA back in the 1990's. They had it there as part of a promotion for a book signing by Craig Boddington, who I also had the pleasure to meet.

Anyway, you don't get an appreciation for how darn big that steroid filled pussy cat is until you're five feet away. They had a 3/8 inch steel chain around it's neck on a balcony outside the store. When that overgrown feline looked at you it felt like you were on his menu.

Of all of Capstick's writings, that story is what comes to mind when I hear his name...or jaguar...or spear.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
"Death In The Long Grass" should be required reading.

There was another one I read by the Chief Warden of the Nairobi Game Preserve, but I can't remember what the name of it was, and my Google-fu is failing. Something like "Blood Runs Red on the Dark Continent"...?
In it there is a story about a leopard (which he considered the most dangerous of the Big Five) who killed a village child, and the child's father wounded it with a spear. It was his job as warden to put the wounded animal down before it killed another child. He tracked it to an area thick with brush. He had to go into the brush and take it at close range. He wore an American football helmet, and homemade armor he made out of a flight jacket by sewing triangular plates onto it, and then a big leather collar to protect his neck. He went in with a pump shotgun, and said he took a step every couple of minutes. It ended with a silent charge from about 20 feet. It was a hair raising story.