• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes My NF is bleeding...

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    I have a NightForce 5.5-22x56 and there is an oily like substance leaking out from behind the lens on the front of the scope where it looks like the lens screws on... My question is, since this is my first NF, is this normal? any ideas why this is happening? Will NF fix it for free? or do I have to throw away my new scope?

And yes I got this used, even though the guy would take it back if I asked, I'd rather keep it and get it fixed if I can

Thanks in advance,
    DT

2d83jih.jpg

2is8sao.jpg

Re: My NF is bleeding...

Possibly lube from manufacture or maybe the previous owner wiped it down with oil and it seeped in there. Possibly a different temperature or elevation at your house made it wick out.

I'd wipe it down, repeat for a couple of days, maybe leave it out in the sun to heat it up and get it all out a little quicker. If nothing is visible inside then I'd say you don't have an issue.

J

yea just wanted to make sure scope was ok before I mounted it and sighted in. But so far, the optic looks clear as day and the knobs rotate crisply. not sure on tracking yet cause I not shot through it yet (still waiting for a break from work)

By fixing I mean making the oil stop leaking. but I plan on painting it as well...

good idea on setting in the sun. I also suspected the varying temp and elevation. Just kinda freaked me out is all.

My recommendation would be to talk to Nightforce.
    It was probably a lube used for the threads, but wouldn't you rather know for sure?

Just because you wipe away the symptoms, does not mean you cure the disease.
    I'm guessing you gave more than 15 or 20 bucks for that thing, do you really want to fuck up your investment when all it takes is a phone call or an email with pictures?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know what the "top-kill" method is...maybe someone could enlighten me...or is it more "wise guy" stuff?

</div></div>

Google BP Oil spill top kill and you'll see he's joking....
    wink.gif

not at all trying to be a wise guy, but where in the world do you think that oil is coming from? The only thing I would personally be worried about is getting it clean if I were going to paint it. Other than that, I would wipe it off and rock on. They are not oil filled by any stretch, so the only explaination would be some type of lube from assembly. Like Jason said, if you can't see any oil inside of it, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea just wanted to make sure scope was ok before I mounted it and sighted in. But so far, the optic looks clear as day and the knobs rotate crisply. not sure on tracking yet cause I not shot through it yet (still waiting for a break from work)

By fixing I mean making the oil stop leaking. but I plan on painting it as well...

good idea on setting in the sun. I also suspected the varying temp and elevation. Just kinda freaked me out is all. </div></div>

When you asked if you needed to throw it away, I immediately was thinking, please please throw it away in my trash..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried the "top-kill" method? these oil leaks can be persistent... </div></div>

thanks, just spit copenhagen all over my keyboard

I would bet it's the elevation change...
    was it shipped from sea level?

wipe it once and see if it comes back..

sea level is ~ 14.7 psi..... Denver is around 12 psi...
    up here at 7200 ft ASL it's ~ 11.2 psi and everything that's shipped here is slightly pressurized...

(<span style="font-weight: bold">To be clear, I don't mean that the scope leaked</span>, just that the pressure in the air space in the threaded portion is now higher than ambient pressure, pushing the lubricant/grease out.... kind of the opposite of a virtual vacuum leak)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations. Your little girl has just turned into a woman. </div></div>

Though it's wrong on so many levels, I am still chuckling at this one.

yea many laughs on this one!! And I also hate those persistent leaks...

NF rep, Ken I think it was, called me right back and let me know its just the scope "breaking in" of the seal and what not. And he accurately guess that it had to be at least 5000 ft elevation difference, and it is almost exactly. Very helpful that one.

he said, just wipe it off and mount the thing already...bet you guys never heard that one before!!
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Ken at Nightforce, your problem will end.</div></div>

He did....two posts above yours
    smile.gif

All scopes are usually filled with grease to catch lint and keep the internals lubricated. If it is hot, some probably just melted and seeped out. Nothing to worry about I have had several scopes from different makers that it has happened to in extremely hot weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, do you know how much it cost me to actually fill up a waterbed with Elmer's glue?</div></div>

Queen size waterbed is roughly 80"x60"x9"
    Thats about 187 gallons

Elmers glue all @ 15.79 a gallon

Your endeavor would run about $2952.73

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations. Your little girl has just turned into a woman. </div></div>

That's fuckin sick dude... I LOL'd!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My recommendation would be to talk to Nightforce.
    It was probably a lube used for the threads, but wouldn't you rather know for sure?

Just because you wipe away the symptoms, does not mean you cure the disease.
    I'm guessing you gave more than 15 or 20 bucks for that thing, do you really want to fuck up your investment when all it takes is a phone call or an email with pictures?</div></div>

I second this. I've never had something like that happen, so you should call them directly to get an expert answer. Or you can mail it to me, I live 30 minutes from Nightforce.
    laugh.gif

did the last owner ever spray gun oil on his gun? if so, then id hazard a guess it could also be due to oil that has over sprayed into the joint, and is now running off, i had the exact same thing happen when i got a bit crazy with the rem-oil once, lol, still wiping that shit out of joints 2 years later, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, do you know how much it cost me to actually fill up a waterbed with Elmer's glue?</div></div>

Queen size waterbed is roughly 80"x60"x9"
    Thats about 187 gallons

Elmers glue all @ 15.79 a gallon

Your endeavor would run about $2952.73 </div></div>
    I guess Jimmy Buffet could afford to sing about doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">You know what, I'm not even going to read the thread all the way through and see that you alread called NF and got it all resolved.</span> </span> Instead I am going to quote a random post in the thread and say you should call NF to get it resolved... </div></div>

me neither......
    it's just gun oil on the scope....

make sure you call Nightforce though....
    crazy.gif

hmmm good advice, guess Ill give Ken a call over at NightForce. Maybe he can shed some light on the matter!!
    grin.gif

ANd why the heck do you want to fill a mattress with elmers glue?

Is that the one that has maximum absorbsion? This leak is a gully gusher
    laugh.gif

I called Ken at Nightforce For you... he said it was.. ugh, shit, I forget. but I think it's leaking elevation fluid, about 2 MOA per hour from the pics. No, I mean, leaking cause of the Elevation change.

Call Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could put a wedding ring on it. That should stop it from putting out at all.</div></div>

WIN!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense, but what do you mean by fixed? Cleaned? Does it work properly? Are you wanting to paint it? Its not filled with oil, and has sprung a leak. To me it looks like some assembly lube that was left over, wipe it off until it stops.

DD </div></div>

Bingo. If it works it ain't broken.
    Shesh people.
    Pat