• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New CZ 457 24" 1.180 Match Barrel from L3i

Mark_Dorman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
Portland, OR
This popped up a few days ago and I realized it hasn't been shared here. L3i just came out with what might be the best deal on a aftermarket barrel for the CZ 457 (At least for NRL and PRS shooters). It is a 24 inch straight 1.180 profile barrel with a match chamber and target crown. They haven't officially said where the blank comes from, but based on the diameter there are only a few options- All of them being top tier barrel manufacturers.

The 1.180 barrel diameter is a huge deal for those looking for optimal balance on their CZ 457. Based on my calculations, the barrel should weigh around 7 lbs giving you an extra 3 lbs up front over a 20.5 inch MTR barrel. This means that almost any chassis or stock you fit this to will require little to no extra weight up front for balance.

1719353165711.png

They originally priced these at ~$550, but was told by @Thesepaperwings they were able to secure a better deal due to ordering the blanks in a larger batch with the barrels for their new Stinger Action. So the price right now is $329.00 + tax and $6 for shipping. I personally think the value is huge and already placed an order. They didn't say how long this pricing will be available, but it's definitely a good deal.

Obviously no testing data yet, but based on the quality of everything else I've seen/gotten from L3i, I'm confident it'll be great. I'll post results from ammo testing, balance, etc once it comes in.

anxiously awaiting a hands on review for these. I love my Lilja, but it still required a ton of extra weight to balance due to only being .9 diameter.

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
I have heard some discussion that accuracy with long heavy barrels often suffers because of the CZ barrel attachment system. There are some smiths threading CZ Rimfire receivers now.

I have heard some discussion that accuracy with long heavy barrels often suffers because of the CZ barrel attachment system. There are some smiths threading CZ Rimfire receivers now.
I think this is a fair discussion but realistically that's a different market and price point. Pursuit of accuracy just post his lilja shooting amazing groups and his modacam absolutely kills it.

Josh (Pursuit of Accuracy) has a video he just threw up of the new Lilja 26" 1.0" profile drop in and shot some great groups. He also had a 26" .9 that did well. So while threading might be superior I think its a stretch to say the current system has issues.

Did I plan on buying a barrel for my sons CZ right now...No. Did I? Yes...

Son of a b. I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything for the rest of the month, but my son's CZ could use some weight up front too.

I slapped on 6 brass weights and the balance is close, but this barrel would fix it right up.

Edit
And now one should be on it's way to me too

• Haha
We spec’d the barrel tenons out at a .001” max slip fit so they will be a tighter fit, barrel droop should not be any issue. Assembly may require more finess though.

Reactions: jdodd
We spec’d the barrel tenons out at a .001” max slip fit so they will be a tighter fit, barrel droop should not be any issue. Assembly may require more finess though.
Would you recommend gluing the barrel in over the the factory system? I personally have had better results gluing custom barrels into the cz over the factory system but wanted to ask.

Would you recommend gluing the barrel in over the the factory system? I personally have had better results gluing custom barrels into the cz over the factory system but wanted to ask.

I will be testing them both ways and then recommend based on the results. Gluing in the barrel can’t hurt. I have done it on my ARs with great results.

Josh (Pursuit of Accuracy) has a video he just threw up of the new Lilja 26" 1.0" profile drop in and shot some great groups. He also had a 26" .9 that did well. So while threading might be superior I think its a stretch to say the current system has issues.

Not much meat on the CZ barrel under the cut , lets just say i would not like to hang super heavy contour onto this ,
Shrink fit , glue in and threaded are the way to go

This the crosssection from my measurements
2024-06-26_18h37_10.jpg

Not much meat on the CZ barrel under the cut , lets just say i would not like to hang super heavy contour onto this ,
Shrink fit , glue in and threaded are the way to go

This the crosssection from my measurements
View attachment 8446938

The stress is not concentrated at the location of that cross section though. It would be concentrated at the shoulder to action junction.

I’ll let everyone know. I have MCR working on a 25” 1.25” straight barrel. I did request that it was thermal fitted.

The stress is not concentrated at the location of that cross section though. It would be concentrated at the shoulder to action junction.
While that is true to a degree , slipfit of CZ it still leaves bad taste ,

Italian Victrix seems to have something similar to CZ
Quite unusual for a Rem700 footprint action , but also not seen with 1.2 barrels so far and it seems it uses a large shoulder
2024-06-26_19h14_46.png

While that is true to a degree , slipfit of CZ it still leaves bad taste ,

Italian Victrix seems to have something similar to CZ
Quite unusual for a Rem700 footprint action , but also not seen with 1.2 barrels so far and it seems it uses a large shoulder
View attachment 8446950

An 18mm steel tenon is much stronger than most people realize. We have all rode on carnival rides with less steel supporting our weight! An Interference fit is better for absolute precision, however it turns a home barrel swap into a “send it into a gunsmith wait months and pay way more” type of affair. Nothing wrong with that and plenty of great companies offer that service for people wanting to take it to that level. Our goal was to provide an affordable drop in barrel suited for PRS/NRL competition that provides more than adequate performance for a great cost with the features competitors want. We look forward to seeing an affordable competitive option for people getting into the sport. We want to make the sport both enjoyable and affordable for the most people as possible!

Reactions: Mr.BR
I've seen quite a few people running different 1.180 or 1.000 barrels using the factory grub screws without issues. Not saying it's not possible for their to be issues, but I haven't seen anyone say anything overly negative about it. Screw in would be ideal, but that's a lot of extra machining work.

Reactions: Mechdesigner