New Rifle from LaRue - the MRGG-S 6.5 Creedmoor

RedBreast21

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2020
Tennessee

I'm a big fan of Mark's rifles. I'm not a big fan of Mark. He's blocked me on every platform he's been on at least once.

My Large Frame Larues (OBRs and PredatOBRs) shoot stupid well. My PredatOBR is the last gas gun I'd sell. If this new MRGG is anything like the rest of my LaRues, it'll be an amazing rifle.

With that said . . . . I noticed some "spin". They say that the MRGG rifle was ". . . . submitted for use by SOCOM." Yeah. . . ok. But to my knowledge it wasn't picked up by them, so associating it with SOCOM seems a little . . . misleading.

This looks to incorporate the same type of torque wrench that was included with the siete instead of just a "manual" wrench that has come with the PredatOBRs.

In today's world, $4750 isn't a terrible price, but it's still a lot of cash for a rifle.

I think I'd be tempted to put an FDE A2 on it.

It also looks like Mark Fingar didn't do the photos. I'd bet about $50 that mark took all but the first one with his phone.
Image 8-23-24 at 3.46 PM.jpeg
Image 8-23-24 at 3.46 PM (1).jpeg
Image 8-23-24 at 3.46 PM (2).jpeg
Image 8-23-24 at 3.46 PM (3).jpeg

Image 17.jpeg

Other than being FDE and a different length spiral fluted barrel, whats the difference between this and a predatober?
1) Gas block is different (front adjustable, at last. Maybe more than two positions?).
1.b. The 6.5CM PredatOBR gas block isn't even adjustable for some reason. The .308 and the .260 are, but not the 6.5CM. No idea why.
2) MLOK/totally different handguard size/shape and most likely weight (I bet they shaved off a ton of weight just by redoing the handguard).
3) Lower is full ambi w/ different parts, too.

As you said:
4) Tanodized
5) Different length/fluted barrel

Reactions: AustinP69
1) Gas block is different (front adjustable, at last. Maybe more than two positions?).
1.b. The 6.5CM PredatOBR gas block isn't even adjustable for some reason. The .308 and the .260 are, but not the 6.5CM. No idea why.
2) MLOK/totally different handguard size/shape and most likely weight (I bet they shaved off a ton of weight just by redoing the handguard).

As you said:
4) Tanodized

The weight is primarily saved with the fluting/barrel profile.

The next largest difference in this vs the og tobr is the steel interface in the upper to which everything mates.

You don't think he's being deceitful?
Not at all.

It was their submission to MRGG-S.

You had to meet all the requirements including the manufacturing capacity.

GEISSELE who won the comp did it with a chrome lined barrel that was still running half moa with factory hornady ammo in excess of 6,000 rounds on the tube so it's not impossible.

Mark larue is still gay, hasn't come up with anything new in almost 20 years and his mounts suck. But I'm not gona ding him over that statement.

It's very common for weapons designed for a particular submission who are not accepted, to be sold as commercial guns. Everyone does it.

Not at all.

It's very common for weapons designed for a particular submission who are not accepted, to be sold as commercial guns. Everyone does it.
No one is dinging him for selling it as a commercial gun; it's in the "MRGG . . . submitted for use by SOCOM." I just don't agree with you; I think it is quite deceitful.

We do agree that he is gay and his mounts suck, though. Those are the important things to agree on, I think.

As you said:
4) Tanodized
There’s also some little plate in between the receiver and the hand guard that’s been referred to as the “SAM” adapter. The mothership and Leander said that the Sam adapter essentially helps retain the barrel or something like that. They said it assist in keeping it concentric.

I’m starting to think that “MLDS “is a real thing. That is…. Mark LaRue Derangement Syndrome.

I was a beta tester for on the MBTs. I don't know how many LaRue rifles I've "sold" by letting people shoot mine. You know those Litz/Applied Ballistics group dispersion pages Mark used to post all of the time on IG? I sent those to him. I have owned 5 large frame LaRues (4 OBRs and 1 PtOBR. I still have three (2/1)), and 6 small frames (Still have 3: OBR/16PTobr, 14.5 PTobr).

And yet Mark blocked me on every single platform. Not because I called him some name or said his products sucked (which I obviously don't believe, though the Siete needs a revision before I would consider buying another one), but because. . . . . . I had the audacity to say that barrel break-in procedures are pointless. I didn't even say it in an ugly way.

The nicest word I can come up for him is eccentric. I've never actually met him or spoken to him.

Mbt is a good trigger for $75. I have half a dozen on rando rifles. But I've been getting SSA-E for 90 bucks a pop so it's not even a question anymore. The MBT is way too wide for a combat trigger. It's uncomfortable on the trigger finger in high volume shooting.

I was a beta tester for on the MBTs. I don't know how many LaRue rifles I've "sold" by letting people shoot mine. You know those Litz/Applied Ballistics group dispersion pages Mark used to post all of the time on IG? I sent those to him. I have owned 5 large frame LaRues (4 OBRs and 1 PtOBR. I still have three (2/1)), and 6 small frames (Still have 3: OBR/16PTobr, 14.5 PTobr).

And yet Mark blocked me on every single platform. Not because I called him some name or said his products sucked (which I obviously don't believe, though the Siete needs a revision before I would consider buying another one), but because. . . . . . I had the audacity to say that barrel break-in procedures are pointless. I didn't even say it in an ugly way.

The nicest word I can come up for him is eccentric. I've never actually met him or spoken to him.
Man, you’ve spent a lot of money with him and provided him a lot of good stuff. Sorry to hear he treated you that way. Eccentric is one way to put it. He’s kind of crazy. Which leads to him building very consistent and tight products across the line. But yeah, he should leave dealing with the general public probably somebody else and he just stick to machining and inventing and developing. And buying machines and all that stuff. That’s why I think the dealer model is going to work really well for them. They really don’t have any business trying to deal with retail sales. Especially Mark. Lol.

Last edited:
Mbt is a good trigger for $75. I have half a dozen on rando rifles. But I've been getting SSA-E for 90 bucks a pop so it's not even a question anymore. The MBT is way too wide for a combat trigger. It's uncomfortable on the trigger finger in high volume shooting.

I feel the same about the width of the trigger, always felt it was unfinished, that it needed more profiling. But I get it, he's trying to keep cost down.

Even though it's heavier than both these triggers, I still like the kac two stage the most for general and high round count shooting. The break is just good.

I agree with you.

Maybe you caught him on a bad day.

I always think about how many idiots he's had to deal with spewing misinformation and lies...he's a salty Texan that's accomplished a lot more than most of us so I can understand his lack of patience with people, don't think I could deal with it. I have heard several first hand stories and I believe any one of us would deal with the scenarios in fairly similar fashion. Mark is rough and crude, and I kinda respect that straightforwardness. I also don't know another manufacturer that's given back to the community more, or held range days, etc.

No body ain't got no time for all this bs on the internet :)

I feel the same about the width of the trigger, always felt it was unfinished, that it needed more profiling. But I get it, he's trying to keep cost down.

Even though it's heavier than both these triggers, I still like the kac two stage the most for general and high round count shooting. The break is just good.
Same. I'm a big fan of the KAC 2 stage. Have them on some factory sr15s. No reason to replace them and they are almost as good as the Hi speed Match which IMO, is perfection. They are like $400 if you can find them which makes it easy to pick a G trigger...especially if you can snag blems on sale.

Attachments

• 20240802_130606.jpg
    20240802_130606.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 63
Yeah, after posting I went down the rabbit hole... a variant of XM1200 ammo. Long pointy 6.5 bullet though.
XM1200 was 140 Hybrid, right? That always made me scratch my head b/c I vaguely remember someone saying it wouldn't be great terminal ballistics-wise (thus the 140 Hunter exists). Do you think it may be the 156 EOL Elite Hunter (Rightmost)? Seems like it might be bumping up against mag limitations.

Image 1.jpeg

XM1200 was 140 Hybrid, right? That always made me scratch my head b/c I vaguely remember someone saying it wouldn't be great terminal ballistics-wise (thus the 140 Hunter exists). Do you think it may be the 156 EOL Elite Hunter (Rightmost)? Seems like it might be bumping up against mag limitations.

View attachment 8487102
Those would make sense, some of the info I read , said Hornady 147gr ELD Match bullets, ( April 30 2020 report ),
another bid request said , 140 Grain Berger Hybrid Target.( 12/11/19 )
Then BHA, in Nov. 21, 2022.

And quote.. "For example, a slightly redacted Special Operations Command justification and approval announcement, dated October 2022, identified the need to purchase additional “6.5 mm Match” ammunition with the 140 grain open tip bullet from Black Hills Ammunition to complete qualification testing and operational testing of the MRGG-S"

So ... for what I can make out on all that... a 140gr Hybrid

Reactions: RedBreast21

I’m in the same boat- bought plenty of larue guns, now I see I’m blocked on ig for commenting that the Siete going into a real stock was a win over the retarded AR buffer tube 🤷🏻‍♂️ when a dude is that unstable- makes you spend money elsewhere

IMG_9327.jpeg

As someone who owns one of the original 50 LaRue MRGG-S rifles I’ll drop a little knowledge that I’ve gathered. Yes they were submitted for the MRGG program, the original 50 were prototyped with snipers across the US military branches during a course of some kind. A few of them are here on SH but idk how much they’re willing to share. They were given the option to purchase these rifles at a steep discount after this course, and ALLEGEDLY some went to some interesting places around the world. The main difference between these kit guns and the MRGG submission was the prototypes not having an ambi bolt release, and not having FA capability. The commercial variant obviously doesn’t have FA either, but does have the ambi. Proto kits also came with 18” 308 barrels (pictured) with the regular gas blocks, wrench, scope mount with diving board, and some mags.

I'm a big fan of Mark's rifles. I'm not a big fan of Mark. He's blocked me on every platform he's been on at least once.

My Large Frame Larues (OBRs and PredatOBRs) shoot stupid well. My PredatOBR is the last gas gun I'd sell. If this new MRGG is anything like the rest of my LaRues, it'll be an amazing rifle.

With that said . . . . I noticed some "spin". They say that the MRGG rifle was ". . . . submitted for use by SOCOM." Yeah. . . ok. But to my knowledge it wasn't picked up by them, so associating it with SOCOM seems a little . . . misleading.

This looks to incorporate the same type of torque wrench that was included with the siete instead of just a "manual" wrench that has come with the PredatOBRs.

In today's world, $4750 isn't a terrible price, but it's still a lot of cash for a rifle.

I think I'd be tempted to put an FDE A2 on it.

It also looks like Mark Fingar didn't do the photos. I'd bet about $50 that mark took all but the first one with his phone.
View attachment 8486312View attachment 8486313View attachment 8486314View attachment 8486315
View attachment 8486311
Under 9lbs unloaded. Compared to my old Predatobr 7.62 this thing is a feather

Reactions: jh2785
Under 9lbs unloaded. Compared to my old Predatobr 7.62 this thing is a feather
Interesting . . . Where else (other than the handguard) did they cut weight? I just weighed my PtOBR handguard (with three pic rails, and a LaRue QD sling mount, otherwise covered with the plastic pieces) and it was 1lb 3.7oz.

Congrats on the Cabelas score.

Reactions: jh2785