• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newbie .22 sniper needs a bipod

AJthemarksman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
Minnesota
Im looking at buying a bipod for my bolt action. Ive seen one at wally world for about 30$(Its made by winchester) Are bipods something that "you get what you pay for" in terms of steadiness. Any suggestions on buying one would be apriciated.

Re: Newbie .22 sniper needs a bipod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HareSplitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are bipods something that "you get what you pay for" in terms of steadiness. </div></div>

Yes, and no. They're all going to be fairly sturdy, but the cheap ones are very weak and prone to breakage. A buddy bought a Shooter's Ridge bipod (Harris clone) and the thing fell apart with very little abuse.

Get a Harris, you won't regret it.

-matt

I agree with Matt .... example - i had a cheap shooter's ridge bipod i bought from gander mountain in a hurry before a hunting trip .... took it out deer hunting and low and behold, broke in the field... luckly I had a 6-9 Harris on my other rifle and just used that one to get me through the season.... took the cheap one and threw it away.... lesson learned - you get what you pay for.

If you get a Harris ( which I like ), I would recommend one that has the notched legs and swivel. If you don't you will hate yourself if ever you try a rifle that has one. It makes it so much faster to get it properly setup for the shot.

david

Thanks David, Im gonna be looking at Scheels for one that swivels. If any one has any other suggestions that would be great.
cool.gif

I bought the one from walmart if you get it just take off the nut squirt some locktite on the bolts and youll be good to go

Swivel is great but also the notched legs are needed. You can buy either swivel or no swivel and models with notched legs or straight legs. To me the notches are worth the extra money ( $15- $20 ?? ). I have bought enough stuff over the years and have learned what works for me. I've bought 3 holsters and finally broke down and bought what I should have bought first- wasted 1 1/2 times the money I finally ended up spending on the right holster. I have finally learned my lesson !!

david