• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Still here just need to change hosting on my web site! Will have it up by Monday!

Mount is a LaRue LT-158. It has 10 MOA cant and places the optic 1.44" above the rail. The LT-158 can be had in 1", 30 mm, 34 mm, or 35 mm sizes. I find both the cant and height to be just about perfect for the Covert. Obviously, that mount would be quite tall for most bolt guns, but it works pretty on a flat top rail system like the DTA has, and 10 MOA is more than enough cant for the distances I typically shoot.

The buttstock cover w cheekpad came from Brian Muoio, who had a business called "Tactical Textile". I did a search but couldn't find his webpage anymore, so I don't know if he is still making them. I had him make two, actually. One is the one pictured above with the cheekpad; the other is simply a buttstock pad without the cheekpad. That is the one I usually use. You can see a picture of both on p. 51 of this thread, about 2/3 way down the page.

(949)310-9621 [email protected]
Might not work till Monday? Otherwise [email protected]
or call.

Guys,
We just posted up a new video showing some behind the scenes footage of the SRS rifles in production DTA Factory, check it out. Designed and Made in America baby.

SRS Rifle: The Making Of - YouTube

Impressive......even more so is your facility.

You are a blessed man to be able to do what you love doing and obviously be so successful at it.

Awesome.

Bolt Cover for DTA rifles

Barrett MRAD Bolt Cover:

Recently I handled a Barrett MRAD in .338LM. When the MRAD bolt closes a plastic cover clicks down inside the reciever to prevent (most) dirt and foreign objects from entering the bolt slot.

I had asked DTA over a year ago to do something like this, even a stationary "brush" as one sometimes sees in auto gear lever recesses. So far nothing has happened. To their credit I did ask them two years ago to make an adjustable cheek rest and they did - not, I'm sure, because it was me that was asking.

My suggestion is to make a MRAD-style cover under license from Barrett. It may seem like a minor detail but it is important to keep dirt from entering the bolt slot where it can lay on top of the magazine and possibly introduce dirt into the chamber and bolt head.

Anyone here with a DTA like to see this happen? (W/ a retrofit kit, hopefully).

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't because you asked, it was because it was a requirement of the PSR solicitation. That's why DTA did it with their PSR candidate and Barrett did it with the MRAD. Both the adjustable cheekpiece and the dust cover. I'm not sure why the dust cover didn't cross over to the SRS A1 the way some of the other things did like the handguard and buttplate, but I'm sure there was a reason. The PSR also had a continuous 30(?)MOA rail as well as reduced the number of bolts needed to remove the skins.

Should I go with a custom brake on my benchmark DTa barrel?

I'd love to see some custom muzzle brakes other than DTA's that people are using (side vents only)

Thanks

To hell with the custom brake, put a can on it. That keeps the neighbors from bitching and saves your ears too. Recoil is reduced along the way and everyone is happy....

Frank

If you're a CA SRS shooter, seriously consider the standard .338 brake. It's the original one that shipped with my SRS back in 2009 and is very effective and as far as I know still available from DTA. The only reason I switched to the QD brake is because I now live in the land of unregulated suppressors ;)

Yeah it's a real bummer, I want a suppressor so bad! Damn Hollywood bullsh** right there for you!

The only thing I don't like about DTA's is how HUGE that thing is haha.

I shot my .338LM SRS today with the standard brake and it works GREAT. A LOT less recoil than my old .338LM with a Badger FTE(and it's a lot stouter load). I shot at a small IPSC target at 300yds and was able to see impact.

What caliber are you using?

It's going to be a 338LM by SAC.

I'd went with the Standard DTA brake and am very impressed. For what you are getting in recoil reduction the extra size/weight really doesn't amount to much. My old .338lm(custom Rem 700p in AICS) used to beat the shit out of me with 300gr SMK loads, I feel like I could shoot all day with the SRS setup I have now.

DTA's website says: Rifle Length .308 Win 22" Barrel: 32 ½"- 34" (82.55-86.36 cm)

The reason I ask is that I need to know if or how many spacers I need to get it over 84 cm..

/Pearce

DTA's website says: Rifle Length .308 Win 22" Barrel: 32 ½"- 34" (82.55-86.36 cm)

The reason I ask is that I need to know if or how many spacers I need to get it over 84 cm..

/Pearce

Are you looking for an overall length of the rifle with the barrel installed and no brake?
most of us don't speak in cm, we use inches.....I know its convertible but ?

Frank

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put one on gunbroker and it went for $2000 OVER retail. I also wouldn't be surprised if DTA's backorder was over 1000 rifles. You can't touch these rifles right now or in the distant future.

No doubt. Ordered my deployment kit w/ 2 conversions in december and the order was finally complete a little over a week ago. The .338 lapua conversion was about 6 weeks behind the chasis and .308. Definitely worth the wait.

Are you looking for an overall length of the rifle with the barrel installed and no brake?
most of us don't speak in cm, we use inches.....I know its convertible but ?

Frank

Yes thanx Frank, overall length of the rifle with the barrel installed and no brake.

Inches will do.. :)

Pearce

/Pearce

Factory 22" no brake with 1 spacer in the buttpad is exactly 32". That is the old style buttpad spacer, not the new one.

Each additional spacer will give you 1/2" in length. Looks like you need a few more spacers to exceed your length requirement.

Last edited:
Factory 22" no brake with 1 spacer in the buttpad is exactly 32". That is the old style buttpad spacer, not the new one.

Each additional spacer will give you 1/2" in length. Looks like you need a few more spacers to exceed your length requirement.

Thanks RussW1911!
But it's the new buttpad on the SRS-A1 chassis I need the measurements for..

/Pearce

Thanks RussW1911!
But it's the new buttpad on the SRS-A1 chassis I need the measurements for..

/Pearce

I don't have the new one in front of me...... I'll see what I can do. Im sure the spacers are still half inch, but the pad is thicker so that is going to be your variable.

I don't work at the DTA building but Im over there a few times a week.

RE: BOLT COVER FOR DTA RIFLES

I talked to customer service at DTA today and they said, as Dogtown mentioned, that yes, they DID have a bolt cover on the PSR version but it is not offered on the commercial version because it did not have good reliability. Something about the return spring. Seems like a matter that could easily be re-designed and better materials used, such as Delrin polymer cover and aircraft grade spring.

As I said, Barrett's MRAD has it so I'm sure DTA could make one as well. After all DTA has (IMHO) the best butt toe elevation screw going so a bolt cover should not be "rocket surgery" for them.

RE: BOLT COVER FOR DTA RIFLES

I talked to customer service at DTA today and they said, as Dogtown mentioned, that yes, they DID have a bolt cover on the PSR version but it is not offered on the commercial version because it did not have good reliability. Something about the return spring. Seems like a matter that could easily be re-designed and better materials used, such as Delrin polymer cover and aircraft grade spring.

As I said, Barrett's MRAD has it so I'm sure DTA could make one as well. After all DTA has (IMHO) the best butt toe elevation screw going so a bolt cover should not be "rocket surgery" for them.

Gotten along all these years without covers on all our Remingtons and Winchesters.

The dust cover was a neat idea and there was a couple working versions that were seen at SHOT show...... It's a non issue for the extreme majority of owners. The machining requirements for the design is not an easy task and retrofitting would be a pain. To offer a sleeve design that closes the raceway to debris would require a complete chassis redesign. An expensive task to reinvent the wheel on a system that is already proving to be superior in many enthusiasts eyes. While developing the 338 Lapua load for DTA I fired the Barret a lot..... "neat" rifle but what you need to understand is the dirt and grit collects around that sleeve while shooting in dirt and sandy desert conditions, this sticks to any lube and becomes a lapping compound inside the chassis. I would rather clean my rifle than worry about premature wear on the chassis from the dirt collecting on the sleeve than having to do proper PM on my weapon system.

On the cheek piece.... that was in the works far before you had the "idea".

DTA tries to stay on the cutting edge. They want their customers to have the newest most innovative stuff, but the majority of you guys don't understand what it takes. Hell, I didn't. I walked into this job with huge ideas and ways the "I" thought the system could be improved. The amount of money that has been put out to R&D this system is staggering to some.

Don't think for a second that any comments or requests are ignored. They all find their way to our offices. Nick, myself, the R&D engineers........we hear it. We like what we hear, but sometimes the requests are just impossible or not even feasible. Then there are the ones where you just sit back and wonder what the heck that could possibly improve on our system.

I was against the adjustable cheek rest. I thought it was an answer looking for a question. Still do. I have it on my PSR rifle and still don't see the utility of it except for the fact that when it is cold out it insulates my mug from the chassis. Some people love that thing. The PSR solicitation required it so it was absolutely going to happen. Customers were clambering towards the idea, I voted against it. You wanted it, Nick approved it along with many other upgrades and fixes that have drastically improved the system in many peoples eyes.

My point in this rambling at 4am is that we can't please everyone. These changes aren't easy and they certainly aren't cheap.

Shoot straight gents. I gotta go to the gym and lift heavy shit!

It was like this when I ordered my Gen 1, I was hoping it would be different this time. But I will say you are right, it was well worth the wait then, and I'm sure it will be worth it this time. Still sucks though .