• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

Haven’t got around to working up a load for my origins yet. Just threw this together today. 41.6gr of 4451 it’s a freaking hammer lol!

Attachments

• 5DDDEB3E-FB78-461C-AC43-E49B907B8191.jpeg
    5DDDEB3E-FB78-461C-AC43-E49B907B8191.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: chrismartin
Lord have mercy, some of y'all make this complicated. I have handled two other Origins, other than my own, plus my two other Bighorn actions, and ZERO have required any kind of timing. Put a TriggerTech, Jewel, Timney, etc...in it and get to work.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I wonder why some of us haven't gone and done that? Maybe because it ain't exactly a plug-n-play type of problem? :unsure:

Unfortunately, my Origin action is about as far from 'two finger' open & close as they come. More like "two-fisted" - literally; tested with multiple brands of triggers. @kengel2 it ain't just you...

I'm not exactly eager to go grinding on $hit involving the fire control system of a brand new action. If I wanted to do that, I have a Savage already :sneaky:

Here in a week or two when my days off match up with the local gunsmith's hours I'll drop it off for some TLC. And... that brings up another concern. The BR gunsmith I was originally going to have work on the trigger, won't touch it. Doesn't like the already short firing pin fall of the Bighorn actions in general, and doesn't want to go shortening it up more to make it usable. His words, not mine.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I wonder why some of us haven't gone and done that? Maybe because it ain't exactly a plug-n-play type of problem? :unsure:

Unfortunately, my Origin action is about as far from 'two finger' open & close as they come. More like "two-fisted" - literally; tested with multiple brands of triggers. @kengel2 it ain't just you...

I'm not exactly eager to go grinding on $hit involving the fire control system of a brand new action. If I wanted to do that, I have a Savage already :sneaky:

Here in a week or two when my days off match up with the local gunsmith's hours I'll drop it off for some TLC. And... that brings up another concern. The BR gunsmith I was originally going to have work on the trigger, won't touch it. Doesn't like the already short firing pin fall of the Bighorn actions in general, and doesn't want to go shortening it up more to make it usable. His words, not mine.
I believe the Origin firing pin fall is .250”, not like the TL3’s .200”

Here’s my Origin. Took only 30 minutes to assemble thanks to awesome components. Don’t seem to have an issue with the Geissele trigger.

Bighorn Origin action
Geissele R700 trigger
Hawk Hill 6.5 CM Savage Prefit
Area419 Hellfire Brake
ARC Barloc barrel nut

View attachment 6995213View attachment 6995214View attachment 6995215
When I had my super 700. It had a slight cock on close. I am waiting for my replacement. Back from geissele. When did you get your trigger?

When I had my super 700. It had a slight cock on close. I am waiting for my replacement. Back from geissele. When did you get your trigger?

I received one of the first shipments. Customer service is being slow on sending the shipping label.

I maybe be wrong, but I believe the Origin is a 50/50 cocking action and not 105/-5. So it’s suppose to cock on opening and closing. Yes you can trim it to make the bolt lighter when closing but it will also lighten the fire pin stike as well.

I received one of the first shipments. Customer service is being slow on sending the shipping label.

I maybe be wrong, but I believe the Origin is a 50/50 cocking action and not 105/-5. So it’s suppose to cock on opening and closing. Yes you can trim it to make the bolt lighter when closing but it will also lighten the fire pin stike as well.
i
I got my trigger returned already my replacement was supposed to ship the week of the 21st.

Last edited:
Reactions: drwood96
Had my Origin at the range today for the second time. Got another 50 rounds through it. I can say the bolt work (open/close) is smoother than it was when I first assembled everything (after having sent it in to get it to function with my trigger). My friend was there with his rig built on a Defiance Deviant and I compared bolt operation of the two. His Defiance was just a little bit smoother opening and closing, but the Origin is still very nice and I'm very happy with it at this point. Not sure if I'll have it timed or not because it is nice as is and you know the old saying about if it ain't broke.

My build is as follows:
Bighorn Origin
Manners T4A (bought used with a bottom metal, not sure which flavor)
Criterion Savage Prefit, MTU contour, 26" in 6.5 Creedmoor
Triggertech Diamond Elite

So far I've been burning up some Hornady American Gunner I already had to get it sighted and broken in. Shot a few groups today at 100 that were right around MOA. Shot two five round groups at 600 today, one right at MOA, one well under (was about 4-4.5").

Again, after a bit of a rocky start, I'm very happy with my Bighorn Origin.

Reactions: mercracing
No. The Origin comes with pinned lug to ensure perfect alignment while installing barrels. The ARC lug is not pinned and could move.

OK thank you. Have one on order and am looking to use the Barloc system on this one also. I have one on a Nucleus so will be good to stay with the same system.

Chad

How do you like the barloc barrel nut?

I'm waiting on the chassis to arrive before I can shoot the rifle but I dont expect any problems there. The Barloc barrel nut made assembly a breeze without any special tools. The big advantage it has over a standard barrel nut is that it allows you to torque/load the threads without effecting the headspacing. A common issue when torquing a standard barrel nut configuration.

If you have a barrel vise and action wrench then I believe shouldered prefits it the best route to going. This will give you better RTZ results if switching barrels.

Reactions: Hardpan
I timed my actions and it's a hell of a lot better then it was previously, I'm not sure I'd call shortening the cocking piece a bandaid fit. It might not be the end all be all fix but it does reduce any cocking on close and if your worried about reduced firing pin travel you can adjust the protrusion of the firing pin.

what is the difference in adjusting the protrusion of the firing pin length and filing on the cocking piece to get the desired firing pin protrusion length?

what is the difference in adjusting the protrusion of the firing pin length and filing on the cocking piece to get the desired firing pin protrusion length?

The Cocking piece position is controlled by the back of the bolt body and cocking ramp (which you don't want to change). Firing pin protrusion is controlled by the internal threads on the cocking piece. More protrusion compresses the firing pin spring. By filing the cocking piece ramp you are making sure the ramp doesn't engage the trigger excessively as the bolt closes. At least that's my understanding.

Can someone who has timed their own action show some before and after fotos so we have more of an idea what needs to be done?

Well i took a file to the cocking piece and my reset problem is fixed. Seemed like I barely took the finish off. I wont say its easier, but at least it resets 100% now.

I preordered January 1st and got email today to pay in full for them to ship to my ffl. Now that is what I call quick. Was anticipating at least a 3 month wait

They have been ramping up production recently and I think they finally have enough stock to get them out quick

Call me crazy, but the photo of the new Christensen MPR in Desert Brown has me thinking about ordering one just to put the Origin in. I'm thinking order a 26" 6.5CM and swap that action into a hunting stock and put the Origin & Proof Barrel in the Christensen. I hear only great things about the chassis and I think it looks awesome! Am I crazy?

Maybe a little crazy and a bit pricey, but that could be a pretty solid rig depending on what you're doing with it.

I preordered January 1st and got email today to pay in full for them to ship to my ffl. Now that is what I call quick. Was anticipating at least a 3 month wait

I ordered 12/20 and no word back yet, who did you pay blackmail?!

Last edited:
My initial invoice had est March on it and mine is a 308 bolt face as well.

It is probably because I’m one of those wrong handed guys “lefty” so might not be that high of demand. Just speculation

Chad

My initial invoice had est March on it and mine is a 308 bolt face as well.

It is probably because I’m one of those wrong handed guys “lefty” so might not be that high of demand. Just speculation

Chad

You had my hopes up! I ordered the same day and was about to go check my email!

No. The Origin comes with pinned lug to ensure perfect alignment while installing barrels. The ARC lug is not pinned and could move.

Have you installed a savage pre-fit with arc barloc on an origin? My savage proof research pre-fit doesn't have enough threads to set proper headspace. I think arc recoil lug is .185" and the origin recoil lug is .250". I might have to try a different recoil lug. has anyone had this setup?

I took off the rail and recoil lug and headspace the barrel and measured the gap - approximately .195" with the nut loosened all the way. I think i will order a pinned .187" recoil lug from PTG to try for $21 - only problem is it isn't coated and 6-8 weeks wait - unless someone guides me to a better solution. Thanks

Last edited:
Have you installed a savage pre-fit with arc barloc on an origin? My savage proof research pre-fit doesn't have enough threads to set proper headspace. I think arc recoil lug is .185" and the origin recoil lug is .250". I might have to try a different recoil lug. has anyone had this setup?
I was under the impression barrels had to be cut for Barloc use?

I barely had enough thread. I maxed it out when spinning the barrel on and got worried. You get a little thread back when torque the nut to open the gap on the top of the barloc. I decided to torque everything down per the instruction and see if it failed the No Go Gauge. It passed.

I say try the same thing before ordering more parts.

I was under the impression barrels had to be cut for Barloc use?

Yes, the shouldered version needs barrels cut for it. I believe PVA is the only ones selling shouldered pre-fits.

I barely had enough thread. I maxed it out when spinning the barrel on and got worried. You get a little thread back when torque the nut to open the gap on the top of the barloc. I decided to torque everything down per the instruction and see if it failed the No Go Gauge. It passed.

I say try the same thing before ordering more parts.

Yes, the shouldered version needs barrels cut for it. I believe PVA is the only ones selling shouldered pre-fits.

How do you get thread back - I loosened it all the way - when you tighten the nut you lose more thread.

How do you get thread back - I loosened it all the way - when you tighten the nut you lose more thread.
Edit: misread issue. Need more coffee and trying to read while in a meeting.

I think he meant when you torque the barloc down your barrel will move away from the bolt face a few thou, at least in my case it seemed to be. I could snug barloc at no-go failing to close, then torque down hard and could close the bolt.

Last edited:
I don't think it is physicsly possible to use barloc nut version with origin recoil lug - there is only one picture in 19 pages - and its not in a stock or been shot