• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Picking up a 700 sps 308 varmint tomorrow

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
I have decided that Im not going to wait to get a sps tactical. Either way I think I would eventually change out the stock.

Tomorrow I am going to run my my local shop and pick up their only 308 sps varmint and take it to the farm!

Hopefully this one will shoot better than my stevens
wink.gif

Re: Picking up a 700 sps 308 varmint tomorrow

I actually didnt care for the 20" barrel. Im not sure it makes much difference for me. I wont be shooting more than 500 yards most of the time.

Wish I still had mine in its original configuration.
One of the best shooters out of the box I've owned.

167 Scenar with VV-n150 (forgotten the chargeweight) produced a 22mm three shot group at 200m, which equates to around .4MOA

The original stock sucks though, depending on what part of the gun I put on the rest I saw changes in POI of 4" at 200m.
I really wish I had held on to mine and put it in i McMillan HTG or A5.

I was able to get a .35" 3 shoot group at 100 with reloads, after I put the SS on top. But if I moved the rifle I would have to adjust it in because it would change the POI because of how much the stock flexed. I have yet to shoot it with the new stock on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided that Im not going to wait to get a sps tactical. Either way I think I would eventually change out the stock.

Tomorrow I am going to run my my local shop and pick up their only 308 sps varmint and take it to the farm!

Hopefully this one will shoot better than my stevens
wink.gif
</div></div>

This is mine, HS PST30 stock, RB trigger, SS10x with Seekins. The trigger was the best upgrade over the Xmark. It took about 300 rounds for the bore to smooth out but after that, she is a shooter. She also likes to be dirty, after a good cleaning its quite a few rounds to get her tight again, no cleaning from 500 up 0ver 1200 no degrading of accuracy. I did not no break-in.
Rifle3.jpg

Five shots at 100 on 1/4 rule graph paper, outside diameter on the lines is 1" using GMM175.
Target6.jpg

I think you will be surprised, I was and still am at how well a stock action and barrel can shoot.

I agree, great shooter out of the box, but a horrible stock. like most sps-v owners they don't mind the poly stock because they have every intention to replace it eventually! can't complain about it Price to performance ratio! I love mine and in the process of building her up, slowly.... But surely!

depending on what kind of shooting youre doing you may wanna keep it for a while i broke mine in with the original heres a
picture of mine now .

IMG_2311-2.jpg

Good choice. For the money, I personally can not see how you can touch it, and is why I went that route myself.

Here is a pic of mine with my Vortex 6.5-20X44:

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

Here are the results, first groups after siting in, first was a 4 shot group:

DSCN1949.jpg

Followed that up with a 3 shot group (sorry about teh ruler, but came out to a .61MOA)

DSCN1948.jpg

Now, that was also with "break in" ammo, Winchester 150 power point. So, I expect ALOT better groups once I get some more rifle time, and better loads down it. I could not be any happier with mine, you are gonna love it. Good luck.

Next up for changes cheek comb, trigger, bedding, detach mag and MAYBE a stock...

peepaw,
are you running the stock xmark trigger?
if you are have you adjusted it yet? after i had mine adjusted its been fine..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">peepaw,
are you running the stock xmark trigger?
if you are have you adjusted it yet? after i had mine adjusted its been fine.. </div></div>

That rifle is as it came boxed up, have not touched a single thing on it. All I have done is remove the bolt to clean rifle, and again that's it, so no, have not touched the trigger, and I am running what came with it (and really, could not tell you WHAT trigger came with it is how much of a rookie I am!! LOL!!)

I AM going to try and adjust teh trigger though, yes, since it seems to be a pretty simple process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good choice. For the money, I personally can not see how you can touch it, and is why I went that route myself.

Here is a pic of mine with my Vortex 6.5-20X44:

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

Here are the results, first groups after siting in, first was a 4 shot group:

DSCN1949.jpg

Followed that up with a 3 shot group (sorry about teh ruler, but came out to a .61MOA)

DSCN1948.jpg

Now, that was also with "break in" ammo, Winchester 150 power point. So, I expect ALOT better groups once I get some more rifle time, and better loads down it. I could not be any happier with mine, you are gonna love it. Good luck.

Next up for changes cheek comb, trigger, bedding, detach mag and MAYBE a stock... </div></div>

That is my exact plan for my rifle. It looks great! Only difference is mine will have a choate a5 copy and swfa low rings.
Beautiful rifle sir.
Shay

The one caution I would say is that the accuracy of the 700 SPS rifles is not guaranteed. I have known quite a few model 700 owners recently who were very happy with out of the box accuracy. Unfortunately locally I also know two locally who saw accuracy in excess of 1 MOA.

The 700P is the SPS varmint, in a different stock, parkerized, and that IS guaranteed by Remington to be 1 MOA or better. They are each test fired before they leave the factory and must prove to be sub MOA.

Are you getting the SPS Varment or Tactical?

Title and post say 2 different things?

Id suggest the SPS tactical over the VAR. Any day.. Tactical have a fairly decent stock to work with, varmints id rather drill out a 2x4 and but my cheek up to that. I just picked up a SPS tactical few months ago and have been fairly happy with it so far.. room for improvement but it beats a lot of rifles out there and for that price you cant complain. Your well getting your moneys worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one caution I would say is that the accuracy of the 700 SPS rifles is not guaranteed. I have known quite a few model 700 owners recently who were very happy with out of the box accuracy. Unfortunately locally I also know two locally who saw accuracy in excess of 1 MOA.

The 700P is the SPS varmint, in a different stock, parkerized, and that IS guaranteed by Remington to be 1 MOA or better. They are each test fired before they leave the factory and must prove to be sub MOA. </div></div>

And the 700P and varmint may be the "Same" but the performance of the 2 are far different. The 700P has the parts the Varmints should come with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you getting the SPS Varment or Tactical?

Title and post say 2 different things?

</div></div>

Did you read it?

if you say your only shooting the rifle out to 500 yards i would of gotten the Tactical but the varmint is also a decent rifle... i just got mine this monday and will be shooting it friday
laugh.gif

instead of the 150 Win box i would try the 150 federal i had real good accuracy with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... </div></div>

That is my exact plan for my rifle. It looks great! Only difference is mine will have a choate a5 copy and swfa low rings.
Beautiful rifle sir.
Shay </div></div>

Thank you. A set of lows is next. What happened was, a Hide member who was helping me said that 99% chance, the lows would have fit, but since he was not 100%, and did not want to tell me wrong, he told me to pick up a set of mediums tha the KNEW would work. And since I was wanting to shoot some kind of fierce, I bought what we knew 100% was going to work at that time, the mediums.
Now, that I KNOW lows will fit, I am picking up a set.
So, the lows, cheek piece, det mag, adj trig, bed it, and MAYBE a stock and we will be all set, maybe..
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you say your only shooting the rifle out to 500 yards i would of gotten the Tactical but the varmint is also a decent rifle... i just got mine this monday and will be shooting it friday
laugh.gif

instead of the 150 Win box i would try the 150 federal i had real good accuracy with them. </div></div>

I picked that up to, but have yet to fire it. Was trying to stick with one just while breakn in..call me coo coo or whatever, but while breakin i did not want to chance different results, and not be sure WHAT was teh cause...breakn inrifle, or ammo? Make sense?

So, I DO ahve a set of the Federal 150, but piad $23 for a box, and online, I picked up some 168 Hornady for only $22 a box, so in the future, I just don't see buying the Federal if I can pick up Hornady for cheaper. Now, not saying I WON'T buy teh Federal, because if I need some ammo, sure, will pick some up. Just saying that if I don't HAVE to, don't see the point....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one caution I would say is that the accuracy of the 700 SPS rifles is not guaranteed. I have known quite a few model 700 owners recently who were very happy with out of the box accuracy. Unfortunately locally I also know two locally who saw accuracy in excess of 1 MOA.

The 700P is the SPS varmint, in a different stock, parkerized, and that IS guaranteed by Remington to be 1 MOA or better. They are each test fired before they leave the factory and must prove to be sub MOA. </div></div>

Well, from all of teh research I have seen, the FEW that "don't shoot", are teh exception, and NOT the norm. To me, it is a REAL safe bet that it WILL shoot, and odds are against it that it won't.
Not to mention, for teh money (CHEAP) it can be MADE to shoot, and STILL be cheaper than the majority of rifle's out there. My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you say your only shooting the rifle out to 500 yards i would of gotten the Tactical but the varmint is also a decent rifle... i just got mine this monday and will be shooting it friday
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I have already replaced the stock on the varmint.

It should be in next week.

Wanted to update you guys. OK, took rifle back down today, and was pretty dang windy, from right to left, and had some pretty big gusts as well.
Also, tried out the Federal 150 I have.
So, this test will not be fair to teh Federal since I did 2 things differently. One, shot during windy conditions, and 2, I got barrel pretty hot today. I had gotten her broke in, and HAD been letting her cool down few minutes between each shot.
Today, was doing 3/4/5 shot groups, moving to another part of target, then another 3/4/5 groups.

I was curious how much heat would effect teh HB.

So, below results, again, heated barrel and windy conditions and different ammo (had been shooting Winchester 150):

This first group is a 5 shot group. I had put @ 10 rounds down range, getting a feel for scope (make sure was still zero'd), and again, to put some heat in barrel.
As you can see, this group STARTED out REAL TIGHT, from teh first 3 shots, then decided I wanted to carry it to a 5 shot group, and she opened up some on me (again, wind moving from right to left):

DSCN2056.jpg

DSCN2059.jpg

Then, dropped down on target, no cool down, and opened up on this 4 shot group, 1st shot is far right, and each shot after was placed left of original. Maybe wind? Maybe too much heat in barrel? Maybe ammo? Really too early to tell sicne I don't have but 70 rounds down range now (including these today)

DSCN2060.jpg

Ok, so after this WAY crazy group, I decided to let barrel cool down. I hopped over to other part of range to put some rounds down range with my 1911, and left my 700 without moving anything.
So, after about 15-20 minutes of shooting teh 1911, and letting 700 cool down, came back and this is what we have:

3 shot group:

DSCN2063.jpg

Then, I got teh notice that it was gonna be cease fire so we can change out targets, and got 1 more round off, for a 4 shot group, and as you can tell, EACH shot went further and further left (wind blowing from right to left):

DSCN2062.jpg

So, this is what I THINK...After 10 rounds or so, is best to let barrel cool down for best results. Because up to this point, with cool barrel, this thing is JUST about a tackdriver, and I think with better ammo, and more range time, I have no doubt it WILL become one.
Also, i need to compensate better for wind. Each shot moved left on EVERY group I placed. So, shooters fault on that.

I got one in .308 and swapped the stock to a HS Precision and it typically shoots about .50" at 100 yards and I busted some clays at 330 yards. I'm going to skim bed the stock and hopefully squeeze a little more accuracy out of it.

Cpt. I'm still waiting on a 5rd group to beat my inferior Stevens
wink.gif
... LOL you know I'm playing.

I'm glad you're happy and I still say you should have just sent your stevens back to savage.

Good luck,
Merritt