• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

podlock: polymer vs zinc

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
whats everyones preference? Is the zinc handle heavier or something? I would like on a part like this, being used to torque down a nut, that the metal would hold up better than the polymer. I cant decide which one to get.

Re: podlock: polymer vs zinc

The Pod Lock is a great design. But it is a handle that sticks out and can get bumped or snagged.

The advantage of the polymer is that it is meant to break, rather than something else break. With the zinc, it is much tougher and you can risk breaking something expensive, rather than the $20 pod lock.

Terry had it right from the get go. The polymer handle is meant to give way before anything else.

Get the glass reinforced polymer.

If you want a Pod-Loc kit, there is no choice in lever material.
That is a purposeful decision made by the producer of the kit. See below for a quote direct from the Pod-Loc web page:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"The handle section of the lever assembly was specified as glass reinforced nylon plastic. This part was intentionally chosen over a metal lever. If the user were to accidentally snag this lever on an obstacle during movement, a synthetic lever material would flex or even break thus freeing the rifle. Testing showed that a metal lever could cause the internal pivot rod of the bipod to break before the lever would flex. Thus, I chose to not use a metal lever on this kit. I would rather the synthetic lever break and the bipod remain serviceable rather than chance breaking the internal parts of the bipod."</span>

For more information about how this kit was designed and why it is made like it is, you can go direct to the web page for details:

Pod-Loc information page

The Pod-Loc kit uses a U.S.Molded lever that is 30% glass filled nylon. I have abused the levers to a great extent and do not think you will have any issues. If, in the unusual circumstance, you have any issues, the kit comes with a lifetime warranty.

Like the head man said above, if something happens it has a lifetime warranty BUT you are not likely to break the Pod-Loc fiber handle.

If my dumbass hasn't broken one yet I doubt you will either....
smile.gif