• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PortaJohn

I recall seeing an online EV commercial that depicted this very thing. The dad runs out in a storm and connects an extension cord to his EV and the house lights come on. Not exactly new tech other than tapping into battery storage as opposed to running a generator. Oh by the way, you can buy yourself an inverter to connect to an ICE and power your house the same way by turning your vehicle into a generator. Bonus, you can get more gas and run the power infinitely longer and not end up with an electric vehicle that cant go anywhere after the storm.

Edit to add: If you ever have to do this, TURN OFF YOUR MAIN BREAKER! so you don't back feed power into the main line killing the linemen while they work on it.

I have a PTO driven generator, I think it is 1930's vintage. Never could get it working. Ended up giving it to a local group that does vintage tractor days. I got free admission to the shows forever for that.

I want to replace it with one of those Maytag engines, again not sure why I just find them cool.

You would have a exhaust pipe running from the kitchen out of the house. Just so cool.

Years ago I talked to a guy that sold the machines new, he said that people would come from all over with clothes for him to "demo".

Out on the farms there was still no electricity....and this was a very high end and expensive machine. Entire groups of people would go in together and get one machine that they all would use.

Re5WC55Pfola.png

I recall seeing an online EV commercial that depicted this very thing. The dad runs out in a storm and connects an extension cord to his EV and the house lights come on. Not exactly new tech other than tapping into battery storage as opposed to running a generator. Oh by the way, you can buy yourself an inverter to connect to an ICE and power your house the same way by turning your vehicle into a generator. Bonus, you can get more gas and run the power infinitely longer and not end up with an electric vehicle that cant go anywhere after the storm.

Edit to add: If you ever have to do this, TURN OFF YOUR MAIN BREAKER! so you don't back feed power into the main line killing the linemen while they work on it.
Good point on the main breaker.....however when I put my grounds on....I'm protected....and Billy Bob homeowners shit gets fried. "Most" people get it right with a proper transfer switch but every now and again there is some moron with a homemade adapter cord backfeeding an outlet.

Reactions: Austan

FYI Dominion and Smartmatic are suing people that say it's their system in Brazil - it's not. As I put in the Brazil post - its Positive Tecnologica of something like that. I am sure the software is near identical, yes its electronic and can be manipulated. But I'm sure that didn't happen because our President says its the "fair election". Do not underestimate the power of the globalist. Apparently Bolsonaro doesn't have a legal way to fight this (sound familiar) because the "election courts" have been bought out. Agenda 2030 is being shoved down everyone's throats.

Last edited:
This guy is annoying, but he's right:

Its take the likes of this guy to get through to those on the fence, you think they will listen to us? And BTW, those middle class housewives you bitched about last election (which the ones I know all voted R), that supposedly went D are now R. The media had to spin a reason for the number disparity so they used a few women and exaggerated it. Middle age women care bout economy and their kids. They do not want they girls being forced to share locker rooms with boys just hitting puberty; they don't want a 2nd grader knowing what a lesbian does.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Well, color me surprised…..
his ass should be in jain, along with others
"A 2020 election integrity probe in Wisconsin reported findings Tuesday that a nonprofit group funded by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg committed election bribery when it targeted $8.8 million in get-out-the-vote funds to five heavily Democratic jurisdictions."

• Wow
Reactions: babyguppy

DOD isn't this stupid. This is intentional.

I have a PTO driven generator, I think it is 1930's vintage. Never could get it working. Ended up giving it to a local group that does vintage tractor days. I got free admission to the shows forever for that.

I want to replace it with one of those Maytag engines, again not sure why I just find them cool.

You would have a exhaust pipe running from the kitchen out of the house. Just so cool.

Years ago I talked to a guy that sold the machines new, he said that people would come from all over with clothes for him to "demo".

Out on the farms there was still no electricity....and this was a very high end and expensive machine. Entire groups of people would go in together and get one machine that they all would use.

I have a model 92 Maytag engine. They only run at about 1000 rpms, so I'm not sure you could use it to generate electricity if that's your intention.

I have mine just for giggles. I'm trying to get into the hit and miss engine hobby and this is my first one. They are noisy and I would recommend never to run one of these inside your home. At least that's what I've been told and I've witnessed.

They are interesting. They fire on 3 cycles and then misfire on the fourth. Thus the name hit and miss.

I'll see if I can make a short video with mine and upload it.

Reactions: Bender
Good point on the main breaker.....however when I put my grounds on....I'm protected....and Billy Bob homeowners shit gets fried. "Most" people get it right with a proper transfer switch but every now and again there is some moron with a homemade adapter cord backfeeding an outlet.

People don't realize that this is a very dangerous way to light your house. Don't they call that plug a suicide cord?

Reactions: Threadcutter308
People don't realize that this is a very dangerous way to light your house. Don't they call that plug a suicide cord?
It's only dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Which, I suppose, is 99% of the American population.

For operating a generator and backfeeding a panel, there are two rules;

1. Never connect the generator (running or not) to the panel without turning off the Main Breaker FIRST.

2. The Main Breaker shall ALWAYS remain off whenever the generator is connected to the panel.

Yes, it is true about not wanting to "backfeed" the grid and zapping linemen. What also hasn't been mentioned is that the generator will be severely damaged or catch fire if utility power is restored while the generator is connected to the panel (running or not) and the Main Breaker is On/Connected to the grid and Utility power is restored.

Last edited:
It's only dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Which, I suppose, is 99% of the American population.

1. Never connect the generator (running or not) to the panel without turning off the Main Breaker FIRST.

2. The Main Breaker shall ALWAYS remain off whenever the generator is connected to the panel.

Yes, it is true about not wanting to "backfeed" the grid and zapping linemen. What hasn't also been mentioned is that the generator will be severely damaged or catch fire if utility power is restored while the generator is connected to the panel (running or not) and the Main Breaker is On/Connected to the grid and Utility power is restored.

Lock out, tag out!!!

I've heard that term before but it should be called a homicide cord. Killed a lot of guys over the years. In the early days the protective grounding practices had quite a few holes. These days there is no excuse for getting killed by backfeed!!

Reactions: TACC
Lock out, tag out!!!
I was responding to the use of generators in residential applications. Lockout tabs don't (usually) exist on residential equipment.

In commercial/industrial applications, certainly lockout provisions are plentiful for smaller power generating applications. And, usually, there are transfer switches (manual or automatic) as part of the existing backup generator systems, so "backfeeding" isn't usually on the menu. For larger backup systems, usually everything is microprocessor/PLC/automatically controlled (in addition to copious amounts of lockout provisions).

Last edited:

Yes, it is true about not wanting to "backfeed" the grid and zapping linemen. What hasn't also been mentioned is that the generator will be severely damaged or catch fire if utility power is restored while the generator is connected to the panel (running or not) and the Main Breaker is On/Connected to the grid and Utility power is restored.
Another thing is that if that generator is connected to the grid - it will be attempting to power every single thing connected to the grid between the genset and the next open switch at the same time..... which will overload it and instantly kill it. It's true a lineman could be injured if he were working at that half a second the genset made power before it died from overload. But it wouldn't be much more than that.

And yes. I've been standing 3 feet away from a genset that had the main powered grid backfeed into it after an electrician wired the transfer switch incorrectly. It broke the 400kw genset's crankshaft into pieces, and made about 15,000 lbs worth of equipment slide 6" across a slab when all that spinning mass came to an immediate and abrupt stop.

I have a model 92 Maytag engine. They only run at about 1000 rpms, so I'm not sure you could use it to generate electricity if that's your intention.

I have mine just for giggles. I'm trying to get into the hit and miss engine hobby and this is my first one. They are noisy and I would recommend never to run one of these inside your home. At least that's what I've been told and I've witnessed.

They are interesting. They fire on 3 cycles and then misfire on the fourth. Thus the name hit and miss.

I'll see if I can make a short video with mine and upload it.

I just like them because they are unique. I am a sucker for about anything old.

Another thing is that if that generator is connected to the grid - it will be attempting to power every single thing connected to the grid between the genset and the next open switch at the same time..... which will overload it and instantly kill it. It's true a lineman could be injured if he were working at that half a second the genset made power before it died from overload. But it wouldn't be much more than that.

And yes. I've been standing 3 feet away from a genset that had the main powered grid backfeed into it after an electrician wired the transfer switch incorrectly. It broke the 400kw genset's crankshaft into pieces, and made about 15,000 lbs worth of equipment slide 6" across a slab when all that spinning mass came to an immediate and abrupt stop.

I'd would have liked to have a camera on that. TMZ would pay big money for that one...

Reactions: MadDuner