• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
they did a 'recall' on them. somewhere in this thread are the details

Meh, less of a recall than an update. They changed up some geometry on the bolt lugs to help ease the "bump on close" so many people adamantly hated about the Nucleus. It's a voluntary switch and they haven't released information about exchanges yet, but that's their plan.

Reactions: jbailey
Meh, less of a recall than an update. They changed up some geometry on the bolt lugs to help ease the "bump on close" so many people adamantly hated about the Nucleus. It's a voluntary switch and they haven't released information about exchanges yet, but that's their plan.
yeah. update. voluntary recall. non issue. pick one of them haha

whenever they get the final solution sorted out for current owners i'm sure we'll hear

Reactions: MarkLeupold
Did some primer testing this last weekend that I figured some of you may be interested in:

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

Temperature was a max of 23F over the 9 hours I was at the range.

I had ZERO strikes fail in my regular reloaded ammo using cci primers and GMM primers.

I wanted to put the rifle to the test for primers so I loaded up Lapua small rifle primer and Prime large primer and here are the results:

BR4 small rifle: 7/10 misfire
BR2 large rifle: 3/10 misfire
Winchester SR: 0/10 misfire
S&B SR: 0/10 misfire
S&B LR: 0/10 misfire
CCI no41 mil: 9/10 misfire
CCI no34 mil: 8/10 misfire
GMM Sr: 0/10 misfire

(yes I know no one really uses the mil primers for anything other than semi auto work but I had them on hand to try)
Data samples are small I know but this should give you an idea of what to expect. If you’re thinking of using BR primers probably good to get the stronger spring from ARC. Although I think the JH was specced witht the stronger spring so potentially just avoid harder primers.

Reactions: Cup O Joe
Barrel cleans really easily.

Accuracy seems fine, haven't done enough development to really say for sure but it's averaging well under MOA as expected, but I am not the best "tiny group" shooter so take that for what it's worth coming from me(not much)

Test loads were 123gr Nosler CC (Stinker bullets but I have a lot of them) in Lapua SP over IMR 4451:

51768498_10218561822298879_4293232051903004672_n.jpg
52476627_10218561818698789_5347531353522962432_n.jpg
The bottom five shot here was my best of the day:
52486624_10218561819858818_5957363623759183872_n.jpg
52769502_10218561818378781_8211061529521422336_n.jpg

the feel of the rifle is fantastic. I love the Nucleus action.

Keep in mind that I am not anywhere near as good at smashing tiny groups as most of you, but I think it looks promising.

I'm very interested in getting a two stage trigger but after all the people posting here about problems with different triggers I am not sure the TacSport PRO I have will function well. Has anyone tried one on a nuke?

I wanted to put the rifle to the test for primers so I loaded up Lapua small rifle primer and Prime large primer and here are the results:

@TheMammoth -
Is my understanding of this data is correct? You tested 8 different primers, 10 rounds each, for total of 80 rounds fired. And from these 80 rounds, you had 27 misfires, or 34% of the total rounds fired.

Please correct me if my analysis of your data is incorrect, but this is horrible. I would view 1 misfire of 80 as troubling. I have used BR4 and CCI 41's for years in bolt action 6x47 and 6.5x47's at temps across the board and colder than you were experiencing. I am not reporting even 1 misfire thru that time.

@TheMammoth -
Is my understanding of this data is correct? You tested 8 different primers, 10 rounds each, for total of 80 rounds fired. And from these 80 rounds, you had 27 misfires, or 34% of the total rounds fired.

Please correct me if my analysis of your data is incorrect, but this is horrible. I would view 1 misfire of 80 as troubling. I have used BR4 and CCI 41's for years in bolt action 6x47 and 6.5x47's at temps across the board and colder than you were experiencing. I am not reporting even 1 misfire thru that time.

You are correct.

@TheMammoth -

And that is with a John Hancock. That isn't the same as a stock Nucleus. Josh said he was using a 19 lb spring in his rifles compared to the 16 in the nucleus.

Well got my FFL email this morning and a tracking number a couple of hours later, will be cool to fondle and put up for sale since I moved on to a Vector already. On the other hand I could pull the barrel off and get a Valkyrie bolt head and barrel ...... hmmmm

Did some primer testing this last weekend that I figured some of you may be interested in:

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

I had ZERO strikes fail in my regular reloaded ammo using cci primers and GMM primers.

(yes I know no one really uses the mil primers for anything other than semi auto work but I had them on hand to try)
Data samples are small I know but this should give you an idea of what to expect. If you’re thinking of using BR primers probably good to get the stronger spring from ARC. Although I think the JH was specced witht the stronger spring so potentially just avoid harder primers.

I haven’t done any testing on mine, but I’ve shot, I think, 100 rounds through mine. 50 rounds of factory Hornady ELD-M, and 50 of my reloads using BR-2 primers, and I haven’t had a single misfire. All 100 went bang the first time.

Reactions: TheMammoth

JH rifle in 6.5 CM

You should disassemble the bolt and look for debris around the firing pin

I haven’t done any testing on mine, but I’ve shot, I think, 100 rounds through mine. 50 rounds of factory Hornady ELD-M, and 50 of my reloads using BR-2 primers, and I haven’t had a single misfire. All 100 went bang the first time.

Interesting. It’s possible the pin may have grease on it or something and the cold weather was causing it.

You should disassemble the bolt and look for debris around the firing pin

This is what I’m going to do and I’ll update how it looks.

EDIT: was anyone else's JH missing the screw and washer for bolt disassembly? Mine was probably lost due to how absurdly bad the packaging was destroyed when it got to me.

Last edited:
Interesting. It’s possible the pin may have grease on it or something and the cold weather was causing it.

I think that's probably it. We don't have sub zero weather here, and I don't think we've had a day in the 20 since I've had my rifle. If we did, I Probably wouldn't be out shooting in it. :D Both times I've had my rifle out, it's been in the 60s.

Hey Folks! I am back at work and now have plenty of time to post. I received my JHR on 08FEB19. I could not be happier. I have only shot one type of factory ammo out of it so far (Prime) and it has be a tack driver since about round 20. It may have been that good out of the box, but it took me a few rounds to get comfortable on the stock. I now have 91 rounds through it.

Pic 1: Balance might be questionable....
Pic 03: Ready for break-in
Pic 02: My buddy shooting from my stand.
Pic 04: My son shooting the same target as the guys on the stand. We went to the ATV to make hitting a 500 yard 8" plate more of a challenge.....

This is my first post of a picture, hope I did it correctly.

Attachments

• TIJHR_01.jpg
    TIJHR_01.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 117
  • TIJHR_03.jpg
    TIJHR_03.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 109
  • TIJHR_02.jpg
    TIJHR_02.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 100
  • TIJHR_04.jpg
    TIJHR_04.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 105
EDIT: was anyone else's JH missing the screw and washer for bolt disassembly? Mine was probably lost due to how absurdly bad the packaging was destroyed when it got to me.

I don't know how bad your package was but mine was in the small box with the instruction materials in one of the bags with the krg extensions I think, wrapped up with the firing pin take down washer.

I don't know how bad your package was but mine was in the small box with the instruction materials in one of the bags with the krg extensions I think, wrapped up with the firing pin take down washer.

That box was open and the material scattered, my stock extensions were just rattling around in what was left of the outer box, so looks like mine was lost. Sigh. Oh well.

I'll try to find a washer and screw to work I guess.

Last edited:
You are correct.
wow. I'm sorry. Hopefully you get this straightened out.

RE grease and the firing pin... that thing doesn't need any grease on it as it doesn't wear that much in there and grease will just be a grime trap., However, I don't think 23*F is cold enough to really impact the performance of grease. -23*F, yes, but 23*F ain't cold for a rifle.

I would contact PVA on this issue... they are busy but will help you, as I'm sure they want your JHR perfect, as much as you do, or perhaps more so... They are in the market fighting for a successful business and happy customers is rule #1.

Best of luck my friend. Keep us updated.

wow. I'm sorry. Hopefully you get this straightened out.

RE grease and the firing pin... that thing doesn't need any grease on it as it doesn't wear that much in there and grease will just be a grime trap., However, I don't think 23*F is cold enough to really impact the performance of grease. -23*F, yes, but 23*F ain't cold for a rifle.

I would contact PVA on this issue... they are busy but will help you, as I'm sure they want your JHR perfect, as much as you do, or perhaps more so... They are in the market fighting for a successful business and happy customers is rule #1.

Best of luck my friend. Keep us updated.

Yeah, I should have disassembled bolt to clean it before using but it slipped my mind. I will retest this weekend if I can find the time.

I sent a message to them regarding a few issues, such as the packaging, the light strikes, as well as two other things I am not going to mention here until they get back to me.

Bohem sent me a message and is looking into the light strikes. I will update when there's more to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cup O Joe
I haven't been on the forum for several weeks as I have been trying to get things caught up here and people's rifles out the door. I can't do both all the time and frankly, contrary to the sentiment of some around here, the forum does not take precedent over building the rifles and handling the shop. So I try to check in as I can. Someone thankfully reached out in a PM and told me there were some issues being brought up about packaging and light strikes so I made it a priority to get on here this morning.

With regards to packaging on the Hancocks. We shipped a prototype back and forth across the country 3x in the same box to test it and validate the packaging problem. The only problem we found was small parts rattling around inside so that was addressed via the enclosed and sealed box inside the package that has all the paperwork, manuals, FFL papers, take down parts, spare stock pieces etc.

Anyone know if the JH rifles that shipped have the updated bolt head, and if not should we be contacting ARC or PVA (GOOD>FUCKING>LUCK) for the replacement?

Hancocks shipped in 2019 had new bolt heads on them.

That box was open and the material scattered, my stock extensions were just rattling around in what was left of the outer box, so looks like mine was lost. Sigh. Oh well.

I'll try to find a washer and screw to work I guess.

Your small parts are all inside the paperwork box in the rifle. That is sealed when it leaves our facility and the only reason it would be opened if for the FFL to remove the paperwork to log in the rifle. THat should be opened when you pick up the rifle but if the internals of that box are ripped up and the parts scattered then you need to have a conversation with your FFL. Those small parts are literally inside 3 boxes for shipping and we've never had the interior box so much as crushed let alone ripped apart. If that is open and parts were scattered out of it then your FFL is to blame, not the packaging.

Even though it says right on it "Paperwork Enclosed" you would be surprised how many FFL's call and say that we didn't give them an FFL copy.

If you need take down screw/washer type of things we can replace it, I sent you a PM about the light strikes a moment ago. Get back with me there and we can send you a replacement takedown kit.

Hey Folks! I am back at work and now have plenty of time to post. I received my JHR on 08FEB19. I could not be happier. I have only shot one type of factory ammo out of it so far (Prime) and it has be a tack driver since about round 20. It may have been that good out of the box, but it took me a few rounds to get comfortable on the stock. I now have 91 rounds through it.

Pic 1: Balance might be questionable....
Pic 03: Ready for break-in
Pic 02: My buddy shooting from my stand.
Pic 04: My son shooting the same target as the guys on the stand. We went to the ATV to make hitting a 500 yard 8" plate more of a challenge.....

This is my first post of a picture, hope I did it correctly.
Nice looking place to shoot!
With a scope and loaded magazine on the rifle the balance should move aft considerably. On the rifles we put together and assembled here with a Steiner T5Xi and a Khales K624i a loaded mag with 5 rds (average full vs empty of a 10rd) and the scopes mounted the rifles balanced on the recoil lug, give or take 3/4". Unless something changed in the stock that I'm not aware of you should be on the recoil lug with a decked out rifle. A heavy bipod would move it forward obviously.

I try to check in as I can. Someone thankfully reached out in a PM and told me there were some issues being brought up about packaging and light strikes so I made it a priority to get on here this morning.

It is appreciated.

With regards to packaging on the Hancocks. We shipped a prototype back and forth across the country 3x in the same box to test it and validate the packaging problem. The only problem we found was small parts rattling around inside so that was addressed via the enclosed and sealed box inside the package that has all the paperwork, manuals, FFL papers, take down parts, spare stock pieces etc.

Hancocks shipped in 2019 had new bolt heads on them.

Good to know!

Your small parts are all inside the paperwork box in the rifle. That is sealed when it leaves our facility and the only reason it would be opened if for the FFL to remove the paperwork to log in the rifle. THat should be opened when you pick up the rifle but if the internals of that box are ripped up and the parts scattered then you need to have a conversation with your FFL. Those small parts are literally inside 3 boxes for shipping and we've never had the interior box so much as crushed let alone ripped apart. If that is open and parts were scattered out of it then your FFL is to blame, not the packaging.

My box was in very very bad shape. I am not saying my FFL didnt open the inside box perhaps but the exterior was soaked through and falling apart. That's not your fault though, but I'm not alone in being a bit sad to see the rifle zip tied to a bare cardboard box. The rifle itself was undamaged though so no harm no foul.

If you need take down screw/washer type of things we can replace it, I sent you a PM about the light strikes a moment ago. Get back with me there and we can send you a replacement takedown kit.

If I cannot find something to work in my many drawers of hardware I will take you up on that.

Thanks for checking in here, Bohem.

Thanks for checking in here, Bohem.
I don't mean to ignore folks, I just didn't know there was an issue til I got a PM on it this morning. The forum does send me an email notification about PMs so if you're really stuck please reach out to me. I sent you a reply PM about priming, light strikes, replacement takedown kit, etc. We'll get your stuff fixed up.

Awesome Tim, nice pictures. Like that AO you have there... all sorts of cool FPs. Are you making hay on those fields? And love the old Chevy truck.
Thanks & thanks!!
The ole '66 Chevy was my Grandfather's farm truck. I just got it from behind my Dad's barn. After a few bucks and several hours, it runs like a top. My wife loves the old 3 on a tree.
Yes the entire hollow is a hay field. The first fence row (the one you can see in the pic) is 460 yds. The next fence row is 1250 yds. And the back of the hollow is roughly 1800 yds.

bohem/Josh.....

Duuude, I guess I should have put a smiley face emoji thingy in there. The balance was and is freakin wonderful!!! I could not be happier with the rifle!!

And something I forgot to mention....the Jet Blast muzzle brake. There were 5 other guys shooting last Saturday. The brake was put on each of their rifles. It outperformed their brakes. One was whatever comes on a RPR and another one was a Little Bastard. No idea what the other three were. Pretty sure you will receive 4 or 5 orders. I tested it on & off my JHR and on a Savage 12FV. The recoil reduction was incredible.

bohem/Josh.....

Duuude, I guess I should have put a smiley face emoji thingy in there. The balance was and is freakin wonderful!!! I could not be happier with the rifle!!

And something I forgot to mention....the Jet Blast muzzle brake. There were 5 other guys shooting last Saturday. The brake was put on each of their rifles. It outperformed their brakes. One was whatever comes on a RPR and another one was a Little Bastard. No idea what the other three were. Pretty sure you will receive 4 or 5 orders. I tested it on & off my JHR and on a Savage 12FV. The recoil reduction was incredible.
That is great to hear, thank you! I'm glad your rifle and brake are treating you so well.
We just finished up a run of appx 250 more Jetblast brakes so we won't run out again.

My box was in very very bad shape. I am not saying my FFL didnt open the inside box perhaps but the exterior was soaked through and falling apart. That's not your fault though, but I'm not alone in being a bit sad to see the rifle zip tied to a bare cardboard box. The rifle itself was undamaged though so no harm no foul.

Based on shipping the rifle around with the exact same setup I don't think the zipties are the issue. They were not for us. The issue of it being soaked concerns me. The rifles are shipped fully insured and with a signature required to every FFL. Something soaked through means it sat out in the rain with a signature required package. How that happens is both beyond me and out of my control. The shipping on the rifles is rather expensive and the boxes are surprisingly so as well. We aren't the only company to use zip ties in the cardboard. A friend of mine ships all the rifles out of his shop that way without issue or complaint. Though I can't speak to what happens if his rifles are left out in rain. Cardboard doesn't react favorably to water.

I'm glad to hear the rifle is not damaged even though the box was ruined.

@bohem any updates on Nucleus barreled actions? Order #317x, ordered around end of Aug-18.

Also, there were reports of Barloc issues. I ordered a shouldered Barloc BA. Will this delay the BA i ordered?

Thanks Much!

@bohem any updates on Nucleus barreled actions? Order #317x, ordered around end of Aug-18.

Also, there were reports of Barloc issues. I ordered a shouldered Barloc BA. Will this delay the BA i ordered?

Thanks Much!

We are still filling BL ordered barrels and we have all the BL's that were needed for the Nucleus orders.
We are not taking new orders for BL barrels until ARC gives us the green light on selling them again.

Hancocks are going out daily. Lefty ones have extra work involved because I have to convert the KRG Bravo over to a left handed stock. The new mill will be cutting them and I'm putting the efforts to build the fixture to hold them properly and cut the stock conversion. The few guys that were accidentally invoiced for a LH rifle have been returned their funds until we have a more definitive answer on the LH availability.

We are not going to open the worm can of doing personalized order updates on a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.