• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bohem id like to publicly file a complaint about my JHR! It is stupid boring shooting this rifle! The fucking thing doesn’t miss! ?

On a serious note I’m loving my JHR!! Well worth the wait!! I’d do it all over again if I had to.

Thank you, Sir. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it and getting the performance we expect.

Update:

I went to the hardware and got a bolt and washer to disassemble the bolt and thoroughly cleaned it.

It didn’t appear to have grease on the spring but I cleaned it all anyhow and reassembled.

At Bohems request I loaded some brass with primers in my press instead of my hand tool. I also loaded some with my hand too just to be sure.

I did ten of each again and the primers went off every time. This was inside my house in my work room so not cold at all.

The primers fired with the press and the hand primed brass.

I imagine cleaning the bolt assembly was the key? Idk. I guess I’ll be priming on a press for a while to be sure though.

Update:

I went to the hardware and got a bolt and washer to disassemble the bolt and thoroughly cleaned it.

It didn’t appear to have grease on the spring but I cleaned it all anyhow and reassembled.

At Bohems request I loaded some brass with primers in my press instead of my hand tool. I also loaded some with my hand too just to be sure.

I did ten of each again and the primers went off every time. This was inside my house in my work room so not cold at all.

I imagine cleaning the bolt assembly was the key? Idk. I guess I’ll be priming on a press for a while to be sure though.

Hopefully you got it taken care of. I haven’t had any problems with mine, but I think I still should disassemble the bolt and clean it anyway.

Reactions: TheMammoth
Hancocks are going out daily. Lefty ones have extra work involved because I have to convert the KRG Bravo over to a left handed stock. The new mill will be cutting them and I'm putting the efforts to build the fixture to hold them properly and cut the stock conversion. The few guys that were accidentally invoiced for a LH rifle have been returned their funds until we have a more definitive answer on the LH availability.

I guess your not going with a left handed X-ray or Whisky-3 back bone then? I assumed that would be the easiest/cost affective way to go since its just a simple cut in the outer shell then.

Update:

FYI - for what it's worth, I had the same issue with a new Benelli shotgun while duck hunting this year. It was 250 of 250 pre-season when shooting at 85 deg. F+ but even in the 30's it was 50% at best, with the non-fires creating light primer strikes. Called Benelli and the technician told me this was quite common, and to clean the striker/hammer assembly with gun scrubber (emphasized I did not follow this recommendation in the manual) then re-lube with a light synthetic oil. I used CLP and did not have a problem since. The non-synthetic preservation oil many guns are shipped with tend to gel at cool temperatures and can cause force from the spring to be absorbed, resulting in light primer strikes. I could not physically see any of this oil, but it must have been there causing the issue. Would this apply to JHR I have no idea, but just a thought.

Keeping the bolt assembly clean is pretty important on all Nucleus actions and has helped solve a bunch of light primer strike problems. From my experience with the Nucleus I had I would recommend re-cleaning the bolt assembly (specifically inside/around the firing pin and spring) every 200 rounds or less to keep optimal function and ward off light strikes.

The Nucleus actions are shipping out literally dripping in preservative oil (no joke, mine was sitting in a small puddle in the plastic bag inside the box) which definitely ensures there will be no rust. It also means that wiping it down with a rag isn't really enough, since residue will be left behind unless you get some cleaning solvents in there to remove all traces of it.

Reactions: TheMammoth
From my experience with the Nucleus I had I would recommend re-cleaning the bolt assembly (specifically inside/around the firing pin and spring) every 200 rounds or less to keep optimal function and ward off light strikes.

REALLY!?! Every 200 rounds?

Honest question: if this is the case, why purchase this action? I have never cleaned the internals of the bolts on either of the Rem 700s I owned for over a decade. Same thing for the Big Horn TL2s I have owned for ~3yrs. Cleaning every 200 rds seems crazy and a sign that the system is too error prone for serious use. What if you forget to clean, or are in an area that is inherently more dirty than normal?

Not trying to bash here, just trying to understand.

Honest question: if this is the case, why purchase this action? I have never cleaned the internals of the bolts on either of the Rem 700s I owned for over a decade. Same thing for the Big Horn TL2s I have owned for ~3yrs. Cleaning every 200 rds seems crazy and a sign that the system is too error prone for serious use. What if you forget to clean, or are in an area that is inherently more dirty than normal?

That suggestions is extreme to the most extreme and completely unneccessary. Yes, its probably a good idea to clean it when new (although I didnt), but, yea, every 200 is just out of this world ridiculous.

Probably extreme, but since the Nucleus is already showing that is prone to failure because of lube getting on the spring/firing pin, I'll probably make it part of my cleaning regiment.

Go to swab the barrel, let the solvents soak, de-grease the striker assembly and re-lube, finish with the barrel. I don't think it'll be too intrusive.

That suggestions is extreme to the most extreme and completely unneccessary. Yes, its probably a good idea to clean it when new (although I didnt), but, yea, every 200 is just out of this world ridiculous.
Not really. If I let it go for 300+ rounds without cleaning I would get light strikes. The action is operating near the ragged edge of having enough firing pin spring pressure to set off primers in all conditions.

It's a 16 pound firing pin spring from the factory, or a 19 if you have a Hancock or upgraded the spring. Bighorn actions are known to occasionally have issues when it's cold out with their stock pin/spring combination and they use a 20 or 22 pound spring (supposedly there's an easy fix if you replace the firing pin itself with a different version). Impact Precision uses a 26 pound spring. The spring is seriously light to keep the bolt lift reasonable (3 lug actions will always have a heavier bolt lift with comparable cocking ramp designs), and it can't handle any dirt or carbon inside the firing pin spring assembly without risking light primer strikes.

The more rounds you go the more carbon and dirt will build up inside the bolt, along with whatever lubricants you used on the exterior of the bolt working their way in (I found when cleaning mine that oils would slip in where the bolt head meets the bolt body). It's not a guarantee that you'll get light primer strikes, but the odds of them happening increases as you go longer without cleaning it out. I could use the 16 pound spring without issues if I cleaned inside the bolt every 200 rounds. The longest I went without cleaning in there was about 350 and I had one light strike just past 300 rounds.

It's a hassle, but an extremely minor one. Just take the firing pin assembly out of the bolt (takes maybe 30 seconds), drop it in some Isopropyl alcohol while you're cleaning or lubing the rest of the gun, then wipe it clean and put it back together (again, about 30 seconds). I usually re-lubricate my firearms and clean the action/chamber after each use anyways (I only clean the bore when the gun tells me it needs it), so it wasn't really much extra to start taking the bolt apart during that process.

Not really. If I let it go for 300+ rounds without cleaning I would get light strikes. The action is operating near the ragged edge of having enough firing pin spring pressure to set off primers in all conditions.

It's a 16 pound firing pin spring from the factory, or a 19 if you have a Hancock or upgraded the spring. Bighorn actions are known to occasionally have issues when it's cold out with their stock pin/spring combination and they use a 20 or 22 pound spring (supposedly there's an easy fix if you replace the firing pin itself with a different version). Impact Precision uses a 26 pound spring. The spring is seriously light to keep the bolt lift reasonable (3 lug actions will always have a heavier bolt lift with comparable cocking ramp designs), and it can't handle any dirt or carbon inside the firing pin spring assembly without risking light primer strikes.

The more rounds you go the more carbon and dirt will build up inside the bolt, along with whatever lubricants you used on the exterior of the bolt working their way in (I found when cleaning mine that oils would slip in where the bolt head meets the bolt body). It's not a guarantee that you'll get light primer strikes, but the odds of them happening increases as you go longer without cleaning it out. I could use the 16 pound spring without issues if I cleaned inside the bolt every 200 rounds. The longest I went without cleaning in there was about 350 and I had one light strike just past 300 rounds.

It's a hassle, but an extremely minor one. Just take the firing pin assembly out of the bolt (takes maybe 30 seconds), drop it in some Isopropyl alcohol while you're cleaning or lubing the rest of the gun, then wipe it clean and put it back together (again, about 30 seconds). I usually re-lubricate my firearms and clean the action/chamber after each use anyways (I only clean the bore when the gun tells me it needs it), so it wasn't really much extra to start taking the bolt apart during that process.

I missed your post before ordering my PVA JH rifle about the MPA but thanks for being a resource on here and Reddit!

I have an unbuilt Nucleus. Who wants a rifle like this...? Maybe I shouldn't have sold my AI.

Reactions: manki77
I have an unbuilt Nucleus. Who wants a rifle like this...? Maybe I shouldn't have sold my AI.
They're introducing a 25 pound firing spring option in the next couple weeks. If you want to just set it and forget it you should be more than able to using that spring. The 16 and 19 pound springs were utilized to keep the overall bolt lift light since it's a 3 lug action rather than a standard 2 lug.

“Deposits are not refundable” is right there, on the top of the item description page, easily viewable prior to confirming the order.
What lead time was stated “prior to confirming order”?
If it takes two years that would be okay. Be reasonable.
Let me rephrase that. If the lead time is stated 4 months and it takes one year would that be okay?

They're introducing a 25 pound firing spring option in the next couple weeks. If you want to just set it and forget it you should be more than able to using that spring. The 16 and 19 pound springs were utilized to keep the overall bolt lift light since it's a 3 lug action rather than a standard 2 lug.
Are any/all of these call to order items? Don't see any of it on the website. I recall something about bolt heads, too.

The deposits are non refundable and I'm going to get flamed for this. You entered an agreement. You would put down a deposit for a rifle to be delivered by a date. This deposit is non refundable. That is until they miss the date legally. It was not an investment in the company or a gift. So once PVA misses a reasonable due date, legally they are in forfeit of the contract and they owe you a refund. All I can say is try and work something out with them. Now for all of you who thing he should wait 10 years happly, start you're flaming

Reactions: TKO and diverdon
The deposits are non refundable and I'm going to get flamed for this. You entered an agreement. You would put down a deposit for a rifle to be delivered by a date. This deposit is non refundable. That is until they miss the date legally. It was not an investment in the company or a gift. So once PVA misses a reasonable due date, legally they are in forfeit of the contract and they owe you a refund. All I can say is try and work something out with them. Now for all of you who thing he should wait 10 years happly, start you're flaming
You and I agree. You are backing up my points entirely. Anyone who flames you is dead wrong and a moron and I mean that strongly.

If they wouldnt refund, a man could take them to court and win. Probably could sue for court costs and win that as well. Now dont fly off the handle thinking I would ever want that to happen as it is definately not worth the time or effort. I am just giving An example.

PVA made absolutely no guarantees to deliver product by X date. Estimates yes, guarantees no.

As such, they are not in any contractual breach.

And in fact, PVA fully disclaimed to buyers that Deposits are not refundable, in plain sight and at the very top of the page where items are added to buyers’ carts.

Any lawsuit to recoup a deposit that was disclaimed as non-refundable would almost certainly be a waste of time and money and be a poster child for tort reform.

/Wifey works in contract law

Your right . And most judges will back the company, as long as they show intent to fill the order. I was just saying, " non refundable isn't for ever". Besides every state is different, so waiting time would very. And it's a PITA going to Small Claims Court. That's why I said it would be better to work something out.

PVA made absolutely no guarantees to deliver product by X date. Estimates yes, guarantees no.

As such, they are not in any contractual breach.

And in fact, PVA fully disclaimed to buyers that Deposits are not refundable, in plain sight and at the very top of the page where items are added to buyers’ carts.

Any lawsuit to recoup a deposit that was disclaimed as non-refundable would almost certainly be a waste of time and money and be a poster child for tort reform.

/Wifey works in contract law
I guess you got her to analyze this for us or do you gain her knowledge through marriage. My wife is a homemaker and I cant fold clothes for shit. It doesnt work like that in my household.

The court thing was an example only. It shouldnt get that far anyhow because PVA (in this example) should gladly refund customers who never intended on waiting years for their products. If you think otherwise then you arent of reasonable mind.

Reactions: TKO
I guess you got her to analyze this for us or do you gain her knowledge through marriage. My wife is a homemaker and I cant fold clothes for shit. It doesnt work like that in my household.

The court thing was an example only. It shouldnt get that far anyhow because PVA (in this example) should gladly refund customers who never intended on waiting years for their products. If you think otherwise then you arent of reasonable mind.
so how long is PVA sitting on actions not building them? they're just purposefully delaying everyones orders and hoarding Nucleus and JHR actions

Reactions: bohem
so how long is PVA sitting on actions not building them? they're just purposefully delaying everyones orders and hoarding Nucleus and JHR actions
What are you even trying to say? Its not that they are purposefully doung anything. Im sure they are swamped. Im sure most are willing to wait it out as PVA puts out good stuff. For those who werent anticipating waiting a year or more to get their order, PVA should be willing to refund in full.

What are you even trying to say? Its not that they are purposefully doung anything. Im sure they are swamped. Im sure most are willing to wait it out as PVA puts out good stuff. For those who werent anticipating waiting a year or more to get their order, PVA should be willing to refund in full.
PVA is probably turning around every action they get within what a week? they have barrels sitting

if they had every action to fulfill the preorders they wouldnt have a backlog. it's not only their fault...they dont make the actions ARC does

PVA is probably turning around every action they get within what a week? they have barrels sitting

if they had every action to fulfill the preorders they wouldnt have a backlog. it's not only their fault...they dont make the actions ARC does
Remember that I am not in anyway blasting PVA. When they get caught up I may even utilize their services as their reputation precedes them although it is not what a company does when things are running smoothly, but how a company handles themselves when things take a turn that truly matters. This can be applied in a personal manner as well. I’m sure PVA could work something out with ARC if need be.

Give the guys their money that want to back out due to the extended backlog. This is my point.

Update:

What size screw and washer did you use? I couldn't find the screw and washer in the box of my Hancock either.

The 16lb spring in yours was recalled by ARC over 6 months ago. Hancocks come with 19lb springs and so do the Nucleus actions that come through PVA. Let's not get apples and oranges mixed up. I really don't need another headache on this project, especially coming from a single data point with a lighter spring that was already announced with replacement from the manufacturer AND one that I've dealt with before it was even brought up in public.

Clean as necessary but there are a bunch of folks across the US with Hancocks now in the weather we're seeing. I have not had any reports of light strikes that were not solved with properly seating primers or cleaning the ARC goop from the fire control.

If we do see something like that we will address it immediately.

Last edited:
6-32 x 1/2" allen head cap screw with a fender washer 3/4" OD.
CAP SCREW 6 32.JPG

The 16lb spring in yours was recalled by ARC over 6 months ago. Hancocks come with 19lb springs and so do the Nucleus actions that come through PVA. Let's not get apples and oranges mixed up. I really don't need another headache on this project, especially coming from someone advocating a process because of a single data point with a lighter spring that was already announced with replacement from the manufacturer AND one that I've dealt with before it was even brought up in public.

For the sake of stopping this pissing match,why don't you give us the wire diameter for the 19# firing pin spring.

I can tell you right now a judge will assess what ever he feels as a reasonable amount of time before the contract is null regardless of what is posted on the website. Things will vary state by state but in my Podunk state of TN unless you got a judge that knows custom guns that will be about 30 days.

Source I have owned businesses and had to write that damn check.

What size screw and washer did you use? I couldn't find the screw and washer in the box of my Hancock either.

It is in the small box where the paperwork and bolt were packaged, tucked in with all the spare parts that come for the KRG Bravo stock.

If you can't find it then send me a PM and we can send a replacement.

6-32 x 1/2" allen head cap screw with a fender washer 3/4" OD.View attachment 7032896

Thank you sir.
It is in the small box where the paperwork and bolt were packaged, tucked in with all the spare parts that come for the KRG Bravo stock.

If you can't find it then send me a PM and we can send a replacement.

I will check again, possibly it fell on tge floor when I was going through the bags. No need for a replacement, I will pick one up at the hardware store. You have enough on your plate right now, without having to worry about a screw and washer.

Reactions: trickpony
There seems to be some confusion on how things work legally so let me clarify (yet again) for everyone's benefit.

The deposits are non-refundable. They are non-refundable because of the way excise tax (11% of 2000 is 220) is paid and how the orders are required for ARC and the other vendors. We are a lot more than the deposit downrange on every Hancock. The only thing we have required from customers is the deposit to essentially pay the excise tax and CC fees associated with it since those are sunk costs paid without any recourse so that folks can get their orders placed and taxes complied.

When we took those deposits we paid the taxes on the guns as the orders were placed. This is why someone is welcome to sell their spot but we cannot offer refunds.

Further clarification:
Nobody, even other friends in the industry who have gone through private labeled actions have never seen a 5+ month wait to get an approval on a marking variance. The original projected date took the time and we provided an estimate. When the compliance paperwork wasn't awarded we kept updating folks on it.

Anyone keeping tabs on this thread knows that we have been as forthcoming as possible about updates and status changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.