Quietest muzzle brake for 308?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I know, I know this topic is frequent, but this is the first time I'll be paying attention.
    grin.gif

I'm building a DPMS patterned 308 from my new Mega MA-TEN receiver set. The barrel will be 16-18", and I'd like to add a quiet brake. I would consider decibel level more important than recoil reduction.

I had considered the Battle Comp brake, but it appears the relief vents go all the way around the brake. I'd like to avoid the dust cloud when shooting prone.

Any opinions on what would fit me best?

- the quieter the better
    - 5/8-24 threads
    - no bottom venting
    - up to 2" long (maximum)

Thanks

Re: Quietest muzzle brake for 308?

I think you will be hard pressed to find ANY brake on a 16-18" rifle that will be in any way considered QUIET.

If you are thinking Levang, check out the Dragon Head for $39.50 from Black Hole Weaponry:

.936" diameter
    Adds about 1.5 inches to the OAL of your barrel
    5 ports facing down range to keep muzzle blast and noise away from the shooter and by-standers
    Tightens down with an allen wrench so no unsightly flats or the use of a strap wrench
    Gives a flush look to bull barrels.

The Troy Claymore is one that vents out the front ONLY, supposed to reduce the DB level (at the ear) over even a straight barrel.

I put one on my hunting DPMS LR 308 (18" bbl), haven't got to shoot it yet.

The Levang linear comp is the same thing, and cheaper, but is not available in the bigger 5/8-24 thread like the Claymore.

the novesky "pig" works really well at redirecting the sound forward for a felt decrease in noise. Not cheap but might be what you are looking for
    Hope this helps.

Thanks guys,

I think I'm going to explore the Troy Claymore or equivelent. I like the idea of directing the sound forward, even at the expense of less recoil reduction.

The Noveske krink design is cool, but the damn thing weighs almost a pound. I'd reserve that for an SBR only.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hellbender</span> - shoot your damn rifle so you can report on the results!

I have used a Troy Claymore on a 5.56, it was crazy effective. That is both in terms of sound redirection and recoil reduction.

I am so impressed I will be ordering one in .308 size ASAP.

Hope that is of some help.

The most quiet brake you can have is a can on the end
    smile.gif

Other than that the hill gets real steep, due to you falling down it.

Now, with mine, I would just use the OPS INC brake for the Mod 12 can or the one sold at Brownells.

John

I don't know if it's "quiet" but the Battlecomp has very little concussion and is a great brake.