• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Random color change from annealing?

Agent Clark

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2017
I annealed 200 rds of Lapua .308 brass on my pals Annealez machine the other day, seems to work great. My question for everybody is, that a handful of them showed a bunch of pink coloring halfway down the case, where most of them had the typical light coloring at the neck and shoulder. Does anybody know what would cause the pink color?

Does your buddy have Tempilaq 750 and 450? If so, carry on with confidence. If not, maybe grab him some for letting you use his annealer... then you'll both know everything is in order.

Yes, he has the green tempi lac, I'm pretty sure it's 750. I was thinking surface chemicals too, maybe old case lube or cleaner. It was like 5 pieces out of 200.

People that solder silver to brass report a pink surface coating. Apparently, copper from the brass moves to the surface. Silver solder can use a low temperature alloy (~360F) or a higher temperature alloy (over 800F), so I guess it may be possible to cause a similar process during annealing.

i just got an amp annealer, did 600rds there was a color change, i then resized them and ran them trough my frankford tumbler with no pins just to get the sizing lube off. after that i couldnt even tell they had been annealed. all color was gone

i just got an amp annealer, did 600rds there was a color change, i then resized them and ran them trough my frankford tumbler with no pins just to get the sizing lube off. after that i couldnt even tell they had been annealed. all color was gone

ctso make a good point... I tumble a second time for 15 minutes to get caselube and misc tempilaq off. Usually can't see any color from being annealed

When I was using dry lube, I just put them back in a box and loaded as needed, but the dry lube isn't quite enough, I'm getting heavier marks when sizing, so I'm back to paste lube and re-tumbling for now.