• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 SPS Tactical Vs. Savage 10 PC

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical Vs. Savage 10 PC

you might try looking at one of the other 10pc vs r700 threads while you wait for replies to this one. but all the savage guys will say savage. all the remmy guys will say remmy. a few remmy guys will admit they have and like savages and someone will say howa.

Imo, savage is alot of gun for the money. However, there is alot more aftermarket support for the remy 700. If you plan on keeping the rifle stock and/or doing light mods, go with the savage. If it is a gun you plan on keeping for awhile and modifying as your budget alows over time...go with the 700. Savage has great accuracy out of the box for the money. I have had both savage and 700s. For a $400 rifle, the savage wins it hands down. Just depends on what you want to do with it though. All of this is just my opinion though.

chevy vs ford. All have advantages and disadvantages.

Savage:
Pros:
Barrel and caliber change is easy and you don't need a smith to do it. If later you want to rebarrel to 260rem, 308, ect then it's the way to go

Out of the box accuracy is awsome because of the floating head design - in otherwords you don't need your action trued or timed for good accuracy so you don't have to shell out 125+ for a smith to do the work

Cons:
Aftermarket still isn't to the level of Rem but it's catching up fast

Accutrigger can be a blessing and a curse depending on who you talk to

Rem:
Pros:
Great aftermarket support
More barrel and stock options

Cons:
"SOMETIMES" it takes more work for it to shoot as well as a savage does right out of the box.

Most people require a smith to do any of the work on the rifle.

Some people will disagree and agree with my opinion and it's just that my opinion. Take in all advise and then weigh your options and what works best for you. But in a nut shell if you're set on your caliber will be using factory ammo and want a smith to do everything for you on your weapon get the Rem. If you can't leave anything stock and want to be able to switch calibers in 30min or less then get the savage.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you might try looking at one of the other 10pc vs r700 threads while you wait for replies to this one. but all the savage guys will say savage. all the remmy guys will say remmy. a few remmy guys will admit they have and like savages and someone will say howa. </div></div>

Pretty well summs up the 900 or so Remmy vs Savage threads, that's funny stuff Axe.

I have a savage pc in both .308 and .223. The .308 shoots real good, lots of different weight bullets well, the .223 version in my case is much more sensitive to loads. It likes 77smk and 69smk and that is about it. It will shoot these bullets well. The .308 version is a keeper, the .223 not so much.

I have a sps tact in .223, it is also a bit finicky.
It shoots 69 grainers very well.
Another option is to check out the Savage 10 hunter max, not the regular hunter, but the max.
Pretty much same as 10PC, except a fluted barrel and different camo options.

The savage will shoot (slightly) better out of the box but the 700 has much better aftermarket support.
It all depends on what you are looking for in the rifle.

When I had to answer this question for myself I bought a savage pc because I didn't plan on doing much of anything to it.

If I wanted to make various upgrades to the rifle I would have gotten the 700.

The best advice that I can give to you is the same advice I received when I was answering this question.
"Get them in your hands and figure out which one you like better"

i had to decide between the two a while back also. i went with remington only because of more aftermarket options available down the road.

also, if you plan to replace the stock eventually, get a sps-v instead of tactical. it will be cheaper since it has the shitty stock

I have a Howa, I like it, I will reccomend you take a look and see if you like it, I like the 700 actions alot, but I also like the savages ability to change barrels.
Howa's are very solid, and mine has been sub MOA out to 300 yards.
I think if you plan on keeping it one way for a long time you look at the Remington SPS tac, and Howa 20" varminter.
If you ever want to have it changed into another caliber, Savage 100%

Roseberry summed it up pretty well. I'm a Remmy guy. I've had about 8 or 9 of them. They all shot well (sub MOA), but the wood stocked guns ended up being swapped for glass (Brown & HiTech). The tupperware stock versions (SPS) all required pillars to really perform. I've owned only one savage and it is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

I vote for the R700. My buddy has one in .223 and its pretty nice. Admitted that I have no experience with the savage.

I have a SPS tactical in the 308 and it shoots .320 to .450 groups with factory ammo. I don't see very many "out of the box" guns doing any better. Mine is "out of the box" and even still has the Hogue stock... Which feels good but it is only pillar bedded and it allows the forearm to touch the barrel on bipods. But mine shoots under .5 moa off bipods so it must be ok!

now all we need is a tikka owner
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imo, savage is alot of gun for the money. However, there is alot more aftermarket support for the remy 700. If you plan on keeping the rifle stock and/or doing light mods, go with the savage. If it is a gun you plan on keeping for awhile and modifying as your budget alows over time...go with the 700. Savage has great accuracy out of the box for the money. I have had both savage and 700s. For a $400 rifle, the savage wins it hands down. Just depends on what you want to do with it though. All of this is just my opinion though. </div></div>

The Savage 10 PC is more like a $700 - 750 rifle. If you can point me to where I can get one for $400, that would be great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imo, savage is alot of gun for the money. However, there is alot more aftermarket support for the remy 700. If you plan on keeping the rifle stock and/or doing light mods, go with the savage. If it is a gun you plan on keeping for awhile and modifying as your budget alows over time...go with the 700. Savage has great accuracy out of the box for the money. I have had both savage and 700s. For a $400 rifle, the savage wins it hands down. Just depends on what you want to do with it though. All of this is just my opinion though. </div></div>

The Savage 10 PC is more like a $700 - 750 rifle. If you can point me to where I can get one for $400, that would be great! </div></div>

$400 ... no, but you can find them for around $685 especially on Gunbroker. I think someone above summed it up best ... if you want a rifle that you don't want to upgrade other than a scope, I would go for the Savage 10PC; if your plan is to buy a base rifle and then build, I would go with the SPS Tactical.

Im not sure why many are saying "if you want to mod it go with remmy" when the whole beauty of a savage is that you can mod it yourself and avoid gunsmithing fees. If you want a bolt knob on your 700 itll cost you $120 and the down time to ship the bolt out.

Barrel, bolt and trigger work can all be self serviced on the savage. And there is a large following for savage that is growing. Yes its not as vast as the 700 but it is more than sufficient. All depends how you want to build it.

As for the OP's original question - I would say "out of the box" the savage will shoot better because of the accutrigger - not having to get a trigger job is nice - let the accutrigger and accustock do their job - you follow the basics of marksmanship and the rifle will do the rest. You dont need a 'bug hole', 'laser beam', 'hammer' or 'tac driver' out of the box - its a hunting rifle..

That being said - why not look at the Predator Series from savage - my next rifle will most likely be the Predator Hunter Max 1 in 6.5 CM.

Yes its slightly more expensive than the 10pc .223- and so is 6.5CM ammo but its a whole lot more gun and its an outstanding round for yotes.

I have owned many different rifles from many different manufacturers. Without a doubt, the Savage is by far the best performer overall. Nothing, including my FN-SPR (which was a badass shooter) ever came close.

So, with that in mind, I will only own Savages from now on. Unless of course it happens to be a gift... end of story.

DK

Lafayette put it very well, lots of places make Savage goodies. The floating bolt head is a great design, I believe Shilen and I know Big Horn custom actions are doing the same thing. The barrel nut is great too. Want a ciliber swap just change the bolt head yourself and install the barrel yourself. Plenty of places make prefit barrels for a reasonable cost. Check out Sin Arms, he'll prefit any barrel for you. Out of the box they shoot real good just do a search on any forum. When it's time to upgrade there's plenty of support to do it from bottom metal to barrels and everything in bettween.