• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sako TRG 42 pre 2013

.338LM

NRA life member / GOA member
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2024
NC
Hello,
New to the hide, been a lurker for awhile. I find lots of great discussions here. Well anyways…

Bought a TRG (338LM) in 2005, scoped it, reloaded some rounds, dialed it in and put it in the back of the safe. Really hadn’t fooled with it in years.

About a month ago I got access to 800 yard range on private land, heres where the story will un fold.
I got the Rifle out was looking at it, decided I wanted it cerakoted, got a quote, decided to “save” some money and do it my self… remember for later. Back in the day I have done 25-30 guns in duracoat. So the thought of Cerakote didn’t scare me. I just didn’t have an oven. Let’s build an oven… I had an old thick wall electrical cabinet from years ago, this would be perfect. It’s 24” wide 18” deep and 60” inside the cabinet, perfect. How to heat it? I bought a smoker grill element with thermostat, cut a clearance hole in the bottom and mounted it. Fired it up and the best it would do is 225 on wide open. BTW I’m not a thermal engineer. Ok we need insulation and another grill element. I looked at YouTube, didn’t like the thoughts of housing insulation. I ended up using 2200 F degree ceramic spun industrial insulation 1” thick by 24” wide by 50’. I found this on Amazon reasonably cheap, like $130 a roll. Ok moving on, new element added, insulation installed, check, let’s fire it up. Within 8 minutes up to 400 deg F. You can touch the outside cabinet after 30 minutes and not get burned, nice! I dialed in the thermostats to hold at 300 f consistently. Ok time to buy some supplies,I need Cerakote stuff. Bought Elite E-100 blackout for the TRG. Bought the iwata spray gun Cerakote recommends (Amazon) was cheaper by like $70. I bough mesh strainers, graduated cylinders, gram scales, lab grade chemical mixers, dissonant filter regulator… you get the idea… Well crap now I need a sand blaster. Harbor freight $229 model will do. Now the #100 garnet grit… remember I said I’ll just do it myself and save some $$$, with all that above I am $1600 in on trying to save money.

Well let’s Cerakote something, ok I got a desert Eagle let’s do that before I do the TRG. Full disassembly, degrease, sand blast, gas off, inspect, reapeat if oil weeps. And did it weep, at the factory seem at barrel chamber, I had to gas off like 7 times til it stopped weeping. The Eagle was ready, BTW I watched like 20 hours of Cerakote videos on YouTube ( Branson Cerakote are my hero’s) to get ready for my adventure. Long story short, the Eagle turned out perfect. Love the Elite series from Cerakote.

Ok the TRG should be much easier with less moving parts. Rifle stripped. Got to thinking about the oven elements much closer to the TRG action, what to do? I ended up cutting a piece of 1/2” steel and placing 6” above the elements to shield the direct heat from being that close to the reciever. I left about a 2” gap in front and back of the cabinet. Now it takes about 25 minutes to heat the cabinet to 300 degrees, but now I’m not worried I will over bake my goods. The TRG turned out perfect, with the iwata spray gun a cave man could do Cerakote and an oven. I will try to post pics of my homemade oven. I will also try to post pics of harbor freight sand blast cabinet with add on for the long TRG barrel. I threw in a picture of the Eagle too. Thats oil transfer from the towel, not poor finish.
IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_7009.jpeg

Plans for the TRG, here’s what I have bought:
Near Mfg 45 moa rail (Richard is a super guy)
Arken EP-5 in mils
M Brace scope rings in medium (28mm)
Accushot FC-5 bipod

I’m in the process of putting rifle back together, I will post pictures when completed.

IMG_6933.jpeg

Also if by chance you loose your factory knob… this works for the time being, I am struggling to find a domestic supplier of the 8mm x 1.25 tactical knobs offered in the states.., going to see if MGW will drill me a one off in 8mm. The $2 knob looks pretty good though,lol.
IMG_0338.jpeg

TRG pics when?
Used Oxpho blueing on my bolt after a light blasting. Turned out to my liking. Total immersion in the bluing agent to the Cerakote, about 30 seconds. took out wiped excess off, hit with 0000 steal wool. Repeated 4-5 times, drenched with distilled water, slathered with CPL milspec, about a dozen times, washed out with brake clean, re -oiled. Cleaned out every oriface ( til all came out clean) oiled some more. The more I oiled the darker it got. Tried in rifle, still slick and smooth.
IMG_7027.jpegIMG_7030.jpeg

So a question to the group ( I think I know my answer already but want opinions). To rebarrel the TRG .338 to a 10” twist or greater from the current 12” twist. Option two just shoot 250gr Scenar OTM’s? Been looking at Hart barrels in SS in 10”. I probably will never shoot past 1500 yards, more likely a 1000 or less. One day I would like to have the ability to shoot farther and I have an invitation to shoot a mile when I’m ready ( gonna be awhile lol)… leaning hard just to keep factory barrel for now, but wanted to hear what y’all would do. I like the idea of a 10” twist, gives more options. The current factory barrel has 33 rounds down the pipe.

I've shot 300 Scenars and Match Kings through my 1-12 and you'll have no issues.

99% of the rounds I have fired have been 250 Sierras and Scenars and 1% 300s and 285 Hornadys.

My TRG-42 is vintage ~2003 and the most precise factory rifle I own.

Reactions: .338LM
I've shot 300 Scenars and Match Kings through my 1-12 and you'll have no issues.

99% of the rounds I have fired have been 250 Sierras and Scenars and 1% 300s and 285 Hornadys.

My TRG-42 is vintage ~2003 and the most precise factory rifle I own.
So I have almost 500 SMK in 300 gn I bought when I first bought the rifle, back in the day 300”s were the thing. Will 300’s erode the rifling trying to stabilize it if I just shot 300’s? I bought mine in 2004 btw.

Nah. The Finns use hammer-forged barrels. I don't remember the exact round count number, but the Finnish Army yank them when the rifle no longer groups minute-of-angle.

The 1-12 twist isn't ideal for 300s, but they won't hold you back, either.

If you're only occasionally shooting past 1,000 you lose nothing to the 300s (except recoil).

Your rifle came out beautiful. Needs some rattle-can. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: .338LM
Well I decided to barrel up from the 1-12 factory barrel.
$600 additional to chamber and add brake threads… so $1100 total. Barrel will arrive tomorrow. Quick shipping for sure.

Reactions: sinister
Machinist got my new 8mm x 1.25 (TRG) bolt knob completed today, needs a little sand blast and blackout Cerakote, then good to go! Cold roll steel.
IMG_7087.jpeg

1X10 twist replacement OEM SAKO TRG barrel (vs the 1x12) ............IF YOU CAN FIND one from SAKO here in the USA ....... sets you back around 1100 -- fyi

NOW...... get the SAKO TRG folding stock.... You'll love it. and you can drive nails with it.. not those tiny finisher nails, but 600 penny spikes ;)
The thing is built like a tank.