• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage 10 questions.

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
i want to buy a savage rifle in .308. i was looking into geting a 10fp-sr (the threaded version) or the version with the accu-stock or the carbine version. i have a good amount of questions though.

1 does the accu stock work? how is it compared to devcon bedding?

2 can the accu stock be transfered to a different stock? (i dont much like the look of the factory stocks and heard they are a lot like tupperware)

3 how well does the Carbine version shoot? (20" barrel 1:10 twist) compared to a 22" 1:10 or 24" 1:10?

4 how does a rifle fitted with a quality muzzle brake/flash hider stack up against a rifle with a target crown?

Re: Savage 10 questions.

The issue with Savage factory stocks is not their ability to be accurate, it's the fact that they Flex a LOT and aren't very ergonomic for use with optics...

Yes, you can put the barreled action in another Stock, provided it is inletted for a SA w/ 4.40 action screw spacing

The carbine will shoot fine

a muzzle brake, flash suppressor, or sound supprssor does not mean that it does not have a target crown, hey shoot just as well as any other rifle

I have the same rifle and I happen to like the accu stock compared to others. I have a Manners and a MCM but the accustock works fine for me but my wife perfers the Manners. The accustock doesnt flex anymore than my Manners or mcm if you plan on shooting mostly prone then the McM, choate or B&C my fit better. But one thing you do need to do is get rid of the accuwedge they are a pain.Oh before the flames start the McM and manners are better quality stocks both mine are more of the hunter style stocks and not the tactical.

As for the crown they still have a target crown. I have a muzzle brake on mine which makes it recoil about like a 243 which helps you recover faster between shots. I get consistant 1/2" groups with or without the brake.

Dont get rid of the wedge, its a KEY piece to the accusystem. i just fired one today, although i am not keeping the accustock as the stock itself doesnt fit me... check the classifieds, i am selling my aluminum chassis stock that will work on a cheaper used model 10 if you want to go that around, plus i dont mind selling it to ya.

here is a 10 shot group i shot today at 100 yards w/ an accustocked savage. discount the 1 flier, it was a called shot, and i shot another one into the other group so its a true 1/2 moa ten shot group.

IMG_0131.jpg

JACQ the accuwedge on your stock probably works great sense it's solid aluminum but alot of people are finding that on the standard accustock it seems to give better accuracy if you pitch the wedge. I found on my 2 rifle that it effected the accuracy and I had to frquently readjusting the torq but after I removed the accuwedge they both became more consistent and my group size stayed the same. Now granted this is only on 2 rifles but if you look around savage shooters forum others are recommending it and I think Savage has actually removed it from the newer rifles. But I love your stock and if it was a LA i would probable buy. it.

I have two Savages in Accu-stocks (only one is set up to shoot).

My older .243 shoots under an inch at 200 with Remington Core-lokt ammo. Excellent shooter.

My newer rifle is the Savage 111 LRH in 300wm. I had it out of the stock this week to clean and lube it, inspect for any flaws and such. I noticed that it DOES NOT have the accuwedge thing. Just the two normal action screws and recoil lug. That is it. (I can not verify it's accuracy)

My Savage 10 FCP HS Precision, and it is a SHOOTER! Shoots sub MOA to 500 yards.

I have a Savage 10 FCP CH, The choate A5 tactical stock that it came with is aluminum bodied and fits very will. Muzzle break doesn't effect accuracy only helps with recoil. A .308 even with some real hot loads doesn't kick all that bad. Good luck with you decision.

so the carbine will shoot but how does it stack up against a 24" barrel will they shoot about the same? Can the aluminum bedding in the accustock be transfered to an after market one? that is with proper inletting.

the whole accustock system is molded in and i dont think you can easily put in another stock. you should have no issues with the 20" -vs- the 24" barrel length as far as accuracy. here is the thing. you need to figure out what you want first. what stock first. if you are gonna change the stock right off the bat, why buy an accustock? why buy that BAT stock and then change it out? buy a base 10fp or 10fcp and restock that. you wont be displeased with any of the savages. buy figure out what you want first. you can get the A5 or HS stock from the factory and not have to swap anything later or buy a 10fp/fcp and buy a choate or B&C with an aluminum block and skim bed that with help from this site.

Spend a little more and get the 10FP w/ HS Precision Stock. Mine is easy 1/2 moa w/ the right handloads. If you need any load data I got OCD from hell and have a lot of data on an excel/spreadsheet file. Shot a 1.75in group at 400yds earlier today. My buddy shot a 1.25in group at 100yds w/ his 6.5 X 284 111 Long Range Hunter w/ accustock.
smile.gif
He is not too happy w/ it.

i think im goin to go with the FP-SR. it has just about evertything i want and its the cheapest option of the three. i want to get a bell and carlson stock when i get a chance and im going to obviously squeeze out all the accuracy i can out of the stock and rifle. an accurate rifle is an interesting rifle afterall right? any tips on getting better performance out of it? i do plan on doing handloads btw