• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage

BigDiego

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2021
United States
Purchased a Savage 110 switchback (Sportmans Warehouse Edition) in 6.5 Creedmoor saw a review on it on YouTube and the accuracy wasnt the best, but after breaking it in i managed to get consistent groups of 1 MOA or tighter, which is surprising considering the stock it comes with only has pillers, not bedding, or internal aluminum chassis. Makes me wonder did the guys on YouTube get a bad gun or do they just suck at shooting?

Reactions: Sigmanx
Prone200yards.jpg

Savage 10 FC-SR in 6.5 CM, MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 Chassis and lots of other goodies. Shoots consistent <.7 MOA - This is version 2.0. Version 3.0 features chassis weights and better glass and, so far this season is shooting consistent .5 MOA with handloads.

Any JackAss can make videos and post them to YouTube - this one shot sub MOA right-out-da-box with Plastic AccuStock and AccuTrigger. Lots of folks seem to have "issues" with Savage rifles but I have not been one of them.

VooDoo

Congrats on your fine new purchase!
It will serve you well.
My model 10 has been great.

Here is a YouBoob of it in action.

3:25 is where to watch if you just want the short version.
Enjoy your shooting.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
If you like it, use it.
Could be a 10k rig, but if the shooter hasn't got his shit sorted, it's just an expensive average to poor shooting rifle.
The Savage rifles that I've seen, are decent enough.
👍

Reactions: Bandit320
It’s really ok. No “factory“ rifle comes with bedding. Most don’t have pillars, chassis or even wood.

IMO, the next big thing will be cheap crap molded stocks with decent aluminum frames molded in like hogue....or better.

The problem now is most Savage, Remington, etc stocks can’t even be bedded.

They should offer an option to purchase just the barreled action, or even just a bare action.

My 110 Switchback in 6ARC shoots fine in the factory stock. I’ve thought about taking it out and putting it into the ACC chassis I have for a Savage but I’m too damn lazy. Maybe someday. But for now, I see no reason.

Reactions: Digetydog
Unless the user is a known shooter, I generally discount their shooting claims and just watch for general gun features.

Purchased a Savage 110 switchback (Sportmans Warehouse Edition) in 6.5 Creedmoor saw a review on it on YouTube and the accuracy wasnt the best, but after breaking it in i managed to get consistent groups of 1 MOA or tighter, which is surprising considering the stock it comes with only has pillers, not bedding, or internal aluminum chassis. Makes me wonder did the guys on YouTube get a bad gun or do they just suck at shooting?

I have one in 6ARC. I bought it with plans to move it into shoots a MDT XRS chassis from the start. It shoots nice little groups for me.

On a lark, I threw my Savage High Country barreled action into to the stock that came with the switchback. It shot like crap and I noticed the pillars were too short for there to be good metal to metal contact. Once I put the High Country back in it's AccuStock, it went right back to shooting great for me.

Moral of the story, I think some people get crappier stocks with their Switchbacks.

Attachments

• 57731343-E448-470D-B9CB-8B64EF137482.jpeg
    57731343-E448-470D-B9CB-8B64EF137482.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 50
Savage/Stevens 200 action $75 after I sold the stock and barrel.
Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger $125.
EGW scope base $59.
Second hand factory .308 barrel $80.
Second hand Savage LRP (HS Precision) take off stock $200
Nightforce NXS $1750

Shot consistent 3/8” 5 round groups with hand loads off of a Harris bipod.

Shot consistent 1/4” 5 round groups with a second hand Shilen Select Match 6.5 Creedmoor and hand loads.

Savages have their issues but are more than capable of better accuracy than they should produce.

My Savage guns(110, 93R17) are hunting/casual range firearms, hardly the long range, precision target guns that are the focus of this site. The only issue I have is with Savage`s factory magazines. Hardly the best out there I`m sure. I`ve learned to watch the first rounds go in to make sure that they do. Other than that, and maybe the typically somewhat stiff bolt lift in the 110 ( getting slowly better over time ), no issues with functionality. Both shoot first shots very accurately ( POA vs. POI ) with a cold, clean barrel. Important with a hunting rifle.

My Savage guns(110, 93R17) are hunting/casual range firearms, hardly the long range, precision target guns that are the focus of this site. The only issue I have is with Savage`s factory magazines. Hardly the best out there I`m sure. I`ve learned to watch the first rounds go in to make sure that they do. Other than that, and maybe the typically somewhat stiff bolt lift in the 110 ( getting slowly better over time ), no issues with functionality. Both shoot first shots very accurately ( POA vs. POI ) with a cold, clean barrel. Important with a hunting rifle.
The only issue I have run into with my 110 Tactical is when I shoot cheap ammo with my trigger turned and the way downi can get a light stroke here and there. No such issues with good match primers.

The only issue I have run into with my 110 Tactical is when I shoot cheap ammo with my trigger turned and the way downi can get a light stroke here and there. No such issues with good match primers.
Never had a light strike, just not the precision and accuracy with my .223 110 when shooting " range fodder ", cheaper ammo. Most of it was FMJ, which I really don`t shoot anymore. HP Match ammo and good hunting rounds ( Hornady, Nosler, Barnes ) are sub-MOA. After reading some good reviews, I`ve tried a 55 grain Hornady VMax remanufactured load from Black Dot Ammunition in Alabama. They advertise it as " sub-MOA capable ". Man, is it ever! Good brass, not one FTF or other functional issues with it.

Never had a light strike, just not the precision and accuracy with my .223 110 when shooting " range fodder ", cheaper ammo. Most of it was FMJ, which I really don`t shoot anymore. HP Match ammo and good hunting rounds ( Hornady, Nosler, Barnes ) are sub-MOA. After reading some good reviews, I`ve tried a 55 grain Hornady VMax remanufactured load from Black Dot Ammunition in Alabama. They advertise it as " sub-MOA capable ". Man, is it ever! Good brass, not one FTF or other functional issues with it.
Ya, I’ve had to start reloading just to have good ammo for mine. I generally can’t find ammo in stock anywhere around me for 300 win mag. And when I do it’s generally the really cheap stuff. It’s expensive enough as it is without having to add special shipping charges to an already expensive round.

Ya, I’ve had to start reloading just to have good ammo for mine. I generally can’t find ammo in stock anywhere around me for 300 win mag. And when I do it’s generally the really cheap stuff. It’s expensive enough as it is without having to add special shipping charges to an already expensive round.
I can feel for you. A lot of the larger caliber loads really don`t lend themselves very well cost wise to " a casual day of shooting at the range "if one is shooting factory loads! A very good friend of mine is shooting 6.5 PRC and he has to make every round count!

I can feel for you. A lot of the larger caliber loads really don`t lend themselves very well cost wise to " a casual day of shooting at the range "if one is shooting factory loads! A very good friend of mine is shooting 6.5 PRC and he has to make every round count!
Ya, luckily my shoulder can only handle so many rounds in a day from 300wm. I’m hoping to get another range day in in the next week or so depending on weather. I’ll be loading up some more rounds based off of my recent test to see if I can tighten the groups some more.

I will never burn out the barrel n my 280AI because of the cost of shooting it.

On the other hand, I plan to burn out the 6ARC in my Savage because 6mm bullets are relatively inexpensive and it doesn't need a massive powder charge.

I also plan to shoot more 22LR as well.