Rifle Scopes Scope for 50 BMG Armalite AR-50??

vpr80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Going nuts here trying to pick one. Need a new scope for the AR-50, took the old Leupold off.

Only shoot during the day at the range, no tactical funny business.
Budget is under $1500 -- just don't want/need anything high-end or fancy.
Requirement: HIGH magnification. Had a 20x, didn't like it. Want much higher this time around.
Distances 300-1000 yards max. Will never go past 1000yd.

Found these three:
Sightmark: All the specs seems to be right, but is it sh-t? Or will be ok for range duty?

Nightforce: Everything is fine, but 40MOA elevation adjustment. Seems ok, but afraid not enough for 1000yds?

Vortex: Highest price, but highest magnification as well.

So (1) is the Sightmark a good buy for the money or garbage? and (2) If I step up the Nightforce or Vortex, any strong feelings on one vs the other?

TIA

Going nuts here trying to pick one. Need a new scope for the AR-50, took the old Leupold off.

Only shoot during the day at the range, no tactical funny business.
Budget is under $1500 -- just don't want/need anything high-end or fancy.
Requirement: HIGH magnification. Had a 20x, didn't like it. Want much higher this time around.
Distances 300-1000 yards max. Will never go past 1000yd.

I don't know where you shoot but on my AR-50 I have a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 mounted in an Ivey adjustable base and normally shoot only at 1000 yards and beyond and typically dial it down to 22-24x due to mirage.

Why such high magnification if you don’t mind me asking?

Also the Armalite has a 15 MOA base. 21-22 total MOA would get you to 1,000

Just in my experience I don’t know squat about sightmark. But have used many NF scopes and highly recommend them. Especially if your looking for something to take abuse.

Have seen several golden eagles on fclass rifles. Only know one guy personally that has one and he sent his in for repair at least one. Parallax crapped out I think.

My general rule for a 50 is go fixed powers (such as swfa etc) on the budget end or a known scope like nightforce that can take abuse. 50’s eat up cheap and unreliable optics.

My vote goes to the NF benchrest of the choices you listed. As I’ve personally experienced several vortex failures

My ARMALITE AR50, same as yours, wears a 16X SWFA. Shitty optics but has been reliable.

For serious use or a Competition id switch to a NF

I don't know where you shoot but on my AR-50 I have a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 mounted in an Ivey adjustable base and normally shoot only at 1000 yards and beyond and typically dial it down to 22-24x due to mirage.
1) that base is sick!
2) i never had an issue at 20x, but always wanted more

Just in my experience I don’t know squat about sightmark. But have used many NF scopes and highly recommend them. Especially if your looking for something to take abuse.

Have seen several golden eagles on fclass rifles. Only know one guy personally that has one and he sent his in for repair at least one. Parallax crapped out I think.

My general rule for a 50 is go fixed powers (such as swfa etc) on the budget end or a known scope like nightforce that can take abuse. 50’s eat up cheap and unreliable optics.

My vote goes to the NF benchrest of the choices you listed. As I’ve personally experienced several vortex failures

My ARMALITE AR50, same as yours, wears a 16X SWFA. Shitty optics but has been reliable.

I think just personal preference, like the higher magnification.
NF is good, we all know that. But you pay for it. Also looks like the 3" eye relief is not ideal on the BR model, esp for a 50.
Fixed power might be too restrictive at the various distances.
Vortex failures? thats disappointing. Been flipping through threads and GE seems to be well liked.

Also running a 16x SS on a M99. No complaints.

Also running a 16x SS on a M99. No complaints.
same as this? geez for $300 might as well buy this. can always use on another rifle later on if i get an NF for the 50 or something.

Last edited:
I think just personal preference, like the higher magnification.
NF is good, we all know that. But you pay for it. Also looks like the 3" eye relief is not ideal on the BR model, esp for a 50.
Fixed power might be too restrictive at the various distances.
Vortex failures? thats disappointing. Been flipping through threads and GE seems to be well liked.

First,
That 50 purs like a kitten. I shoot 750 amax in mine. The weight and brake really tame it down

Your running a $3000 rifle, shooting $3-$6 a round. I have a $300 optic on mine yes. But it’s mostly used as a entertainment piece. Batchelor parties, people who want to shoot one that haven’t etc. It shoots accurately but I’m not using it for 1,000 yard target shooting. Otherwise the NF makes way more sense as the optics on the swfa I have is outdated at best. Literally like a Simmons compared to the NF I own.

I would not go fixed power if I were in your shoes. I also wouldn’t go above 32X but that’s all a personal preference

Vortex will replace your scope hassle free and have an awesome warranty should something happen. However for $1500 you can get something more reliable. I’d say a used Razor if you want vortex but that’s not high enough magnification for your wants.

Based on what I’ve personally seen the golden eagle isn’t up to 50 bmg standards. I’ve run a 15-55 NF comp on one before and that held up for the few rounds I fired. But I felt it was way over scoped. However we just used it as a test scope at the time

Mirage is the biggest issue you’ll run into with high power optics. Even the fclass guys running 55X scopes (I’m one) rarely run above 30-40X due to mirage

Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5-25 your choice SFP MOA or FFP MIL $650-750 in the PX. Built like a tank, nice turrets with zero-stop, and an awesome warranty hopefully you’ll never have to use.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: PJC
delta stryker https://www.edgunwest.com/store/scopes/item/delta-stryker-hd-5-50x56-sfp/
how it would handle a .50 ca's recoil I could not guess , but mine lived and still holds zero after the kid dropped it while carrying it and the gun over his head shame it did not fall on his head and he is 5'8 and the gun weighs in at 25lbs I am thinking that more than the force in the drop and sudden impact than a 50 will give yours if you get one good luck and may what ever you get so you well have fun .