• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shorter is Smarter

Ratbert

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
Concord, NC
Frank has inspired me with his latest SH build and so I've built a new rail gun for 100yd unlimited class benchrest competition. Chambered in 30-06, I've got a full 1.8" of bore. I'm hoping I won't need to install a harmonics tuner for maximum accuracy. If "shorter is smarter" then this is freakin' genius!

_MG_1296.JPG

_MG_1298.JPG

Re: Shorter is Smarter

Optics mounted... (edit: see above) Haven't chrono'd it yet (BR is about 100yd KD accuracy, velocity doesn't enter into it) but one sec while I QL this (I hope this won't violate the "no positing QL data" rule...)

Thanks to the side bolt release, feeding the 30-06 into this short-action isn't as tedious as it might seem. I can load faster than most of the BR competitors at least.

Tricky part is lowering the bolt without lighting it off, then just a light tap with a ball-peen on the back of the firing pin and we have a perfect "no creep" trigger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SBR??? </div></div>

I believe you are correct

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SBR??? </div></div>

I believe you are correct </div></div>

AOW without the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SBR??? </div></div>

I hope you filled out your form 1 for that bad boy....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SBR??? </div></div>

I hope you filled out your form 1 for that bad boy.... </div></div>

yep.

but i did lol.

In all seriousness, in case anyone is wondering I asked Field to make me something to hold the action while blasting/spraying/cooking it and this is what I got. Worked great, BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many mils are you using to 1000yds? I hear you don't lose all that much velocity with a shorter barrel
smile.gif
</div></div>

You asking about the bullet going forward or the action going backwards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking switch barrel.

You could even make a bandalero that holds them all.</div></div>

LOL.