• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah the 208s are gaining popularity among the .308 guys. I think as long as you have a longer barrel and have the 1:10 twist you can get away with it.</div></div>

Gas guns max sooner than a bolt gun but you can safely push these to 2550 out of a 22'' barrel gas gun. There will be some ejector swipe but that is a common thing with a gas gun.

2550 fps with a .648 G1 BC projectile. It goes subsonic between 12 and 1300 and it does well in the wind.

I have read of guys pushing them faster in bolt guns even some guys going to 51 grains of RL17...I recommend starting in the 42gr range and moving up. You will probably see early pressure signs in the 44-48 range.

For myself I get about 2470-2480 fps with 46 grains of RL17, CCIs, Lapua brass and 22'' krieger. I did 48 and had several between 2550 and 2600 but I didn't have the accuracy of the 46 grain. Also I prefer to run slightly lighter just in case of say...a rainy day.

btw, it can vary but alot of people shoot these with a 1-12 twist just fine from 500ft asl to 6000ft asl.

Thanks for the input on the 208s. I also have been reading more and it seems that they do work okay in the 1-12 guns.

Good to know about your results, mine is a 26" bolt gun so I think it might work pretty well.

Have you taken yours out to long distance at all? And is RL 17 available in local stores much? Thanks again.

I don't know where the Too Tall is going to be. I know I've never been there, but I'll call Joe & make arangements. Also, I am still planning on having another BSC soon. Probably late July early Aug. Still need to scout some new areas that are still being logged.

Yeah it is near Joyce at the Bunker.

Josh if you want to send 100 rounds of 375CT in a day from improvised field conditions I will let you run the Match for half price....after everybody else of course!!!! Just to see it
laugh.gif
!!!!

But I can use a few more spotters...especially if they have spotting scopes....as I do not have any and a few of the stages they would really help if there are any volunteers.

If you did not make the first 16 shooters and would like to come and check it out at a minimum just let me know. I could use a few more RSO's.

Sweet!!! Thanks guys.....I was just asking my verbally incllined wife to help me phrase my request for the use of a spotter...she said " Why would somebody do that?".

And here are two offerings!!!
laugh.gif

Hopps....if you see this, contact me when you can...either text or PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">even if i can't make it</span></span> </div></div>

...duuuuuuude... enough already....
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet!!! Thanks guys.....I was just asking my verbally incllined wife to help me phrase my request for the use of a spotter...she said " Why would somebody do that?".

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yeah.... this outfit's alright!
cool.gif

Anyone know where to dig up any 208's? PM me if you do... I'm teetering on conservation mode, and that ain't good for this guy's mental health!
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey you 260 shooters what are your favorite loads using Varget, or rl 15? </div></div>

I found some old notes saying that both Varget and RL-15 to be to hot for optimum .260 loads.

I reading roughly a MAX load being being around 41 grains of either H4350 or Reloader 17. Reloader 17 gave a higher muzzle velocity, but H4350 was far more temperature stable.

Safety first. Start load 5-10% lower and work your way up. Watch for pressure signs, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet!!! Thanks guys.....I was just asking my verbally incllined wife to help me phrase my request for the use of a spotter...she said " Why would somebody do that?".

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yeah.... this outfit's alright!
cool.gif

Anyone know where to dig up any 208's? PM me if you do... I'm teetering on conservation mode, and that ain't good for this guy's mental health!
sick.gif
</div></div>

I still have several boxes left from my last order I can loan you one if you replace it when they come back in stock...

As far as distance I have only put about 150-200 rounds downrange at 1k yards + and like 700 rounds at all other ranges.

alongside guys shooting 175 FGMM out of bolt guns I was getting at least as consistent hits as they were at 1000. But shooting heavies in a gas gun isn't something you just pick up over night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What are you using to load the 208's into a 308?
</div></div>

Varget is what I'm trying out. RL-17 seems to have a decent amount more speed but is less accurate, I haven't personally tried RL-17 yet, but plan to get my hands on some of it.

Broke me dern foot!
mad.gif

First thing I thought was.... damn.... hope those hills aren't as bad as they looked for the Too Tall Match!
wink.gif

Just a "stress fracture" but still hurts like a SOB! Doc says 4-6 weeks... Still made it to the range today - Walkin' to that 200yd berm's a real peach!
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
eek.gif

Waiting on my MRI to figure out what mine is.....did find that neopreen support brace helped alot Tribe. Did yours show on Xray?

Shooters of the Too Tall Challange...if you have not sent in your fee please do so....that builds the prize table and a few more needed targets....thanks.

I don't know what I did...one day after working on a different machine than normal I noticed a tinge in my heel when taking full steps....xray came back clean but waiting on our self insured L&I company to get off their asses and get an MRI to see WTF is wrong with my heel.

Joe,

I'm gonna have to give up my spot in your match. I have a lot going on that weekend, and the fiance will kill me if I take off for a shooting event.
frown.gif

I have a couple of things to address in this post. First of a thank you to tribe for chatting with me aboult the whole Mil/Mil thing. I still havent made up my mind but I am thinking about it. I just have to decide if an old dog wants to learn alot of new tricks.
Secondly as far as you guys and your injuries (((HA, welcome to gettin older)) Joe your still a young buck but I am telling you it starts to have an affect. Herre is one of my other famous sayings
your warranty expires at forty.
Anybody out there over forty will probably agree with me.
Have a good one guys.

PS Danska how much what is your 308. 208 grain Varget load, I am cuious if I should come across some

Alright I am going to start an opinion shitstorm.

This topic should keep us buzzing for a few days. The dicussion is which of two rifles should I keep. I have two ar type rifles, one is a rock river heavy barrel 20 inch 1:8 in 223 and the other is a dpms lr 308 with a 24' heavy barrel. Both rifles are set up almost identically with a Mag pull prs stock, two stage trigger and a plain jane free float handguard, opticsare up in the air for both.

for a couple of reasons(money for optics being the biggest) I am thinking of selling one or the other of these two rifles.
I still have my 260 and my 308bolt guns for long range or precision stuff.

I keep going in circles on this becuse the dpms is butt assed heavy but very accurate, it is also pricey to shoot.

The ar is heavy but manageable and a little cheaper to shoot. However even with 75 grainers the rifle is not as accurate as I thought it would be.

I look at a possible shtf scenario and wonder which would be better to keep aroundas a long range or backup rifle "I have other light wieght options available"

Lastly as far as the winner is concerned , what optics would you use? And if you choose the dpms would you cut it down to twenty inches

so there you go fire away,,,, what would you do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

PS Danska how much what is your 308. 208 grain Varget load, I am cuious if I should come across some </div></div>

I believe 42gr is the published max I have. Others have been in the 43gr range safely. Since I have a 26" bbl I'm at a slight advantage speed wise to the guys with 20". I still have a bunch of brass prep to do and should be able togive you some actually results over the next two weeks.

i vote keep the 223 version, if you have a 260 and 308 bolt no real need for the ar 10 to me. or sell them both and get a 6.5grendel ar????

If i were keeping the ar 15 i would use the leupold vx III 4.5x14x40or 50 with the varmint hunters reticle. it is great taking quick shots at distance. it's not tacticool but it is very useable and i use one on a couple of my pdog rigs.

just my .02cents and some say it ain't worth that

I would prbably keep the AR15, sounds like you are considering in the SHTF type of scenario and 223 will be easier to find in that situation. Also the 223 is cheaper to shoot, I can pick the brass up for free at the range all the time, and quality bullets are almost half the cost of the equivelent in 308. I have a couple semi 308's and while i like them and they have an use and a place, most of the time If I want to shoot at targets which require the ballistics that the 308 has over the 223 I also want the precision and ergonics my bolt gun has. I vote on keeping the 223.

For a scope; Market garden and myself are using the Trijicon TR20 or TR22 with the mildot reticle. Mine is a 2.5-10X56, I use all hold overs and its almost easy to hit sub moa steal to 400 yds with it.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would prbably keep the AR15, sounds like you are considering in the SHTF type of scenario and 223 will be easier to find in that situation. Also the 223 is cheaper to shoot, I can pick the brass up for free at the range all the time, and quality bullets are almost half the cost of the equivelent in 308. I have a couple semi 308's and while i like them and they have an use and a place, most of the time If I want to shoot at targets which require the ballistics that the 308 has over the 223 I also want the precision and ergonics my bolt gun has. I vote on keeping the 223.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For a scope; Market garden and myself are using the Trijicon TR20 or TR22 with the mildot reticle. Mine is a 2.5-10X56, I use all hold overs and its almost easy to hit sub moa steal to 400 yds with it. </span>

CJG</div></div>

Yeah. I love my TR20. It's on my gaming rifle, along with a little red-dot for close range shooting.

A couple of you guys have said the exact same things I have. I will say that big wheels has a good take on it as well. Since most of my shooting is at a 200yard or less rifle range I am starting to lean towards keeping the ar at least I can shoot it with a 22 convertor if I want to. I also saw a post where a guy was selling his DPMS and one of the guys asked him why and he said" it makes big piles of empty 308 brass way to quickly" I think that is a valid point as well

Three spots available 6-30

Please send in Fees.

At this point the Too Tall Challange will consist of:

Fee: $60
Max shooters: 16 shooters
Time: July 16th Camp at range, July 17th Match, Camp at range, July 18th Free run of course (Can run free course on 17th if we finish early
Max round count: 100 rifle and 50 pistol (bring more if you can)
Calibers accepted: 300 Win Mag and less
Range: Less than 1000 yards....or not
Time Limits: Time limits will vary from stage to stage and will be a soft limit...loss of points for a set amount of time over the limit. Mainly to keep the flow moving.

BBQ Dinner included for July 17th (no pickey eaters...hearty fattening meal guarenteed)

This will be individualy scored/won match.

One point given for each hit, if all targets are hit in relay 1 extra point will be given.

There will be about 3/4 mile of uphill walking between stages 6, 7 and 8.

Bring all your gear on your persons for the entire day.

Courese of Fire:

Stage 1: Flat ground any Style
4rd UKD on paper
6rd Pistol on Steel
5rd UKD on paper
6rd Pistol on Steel
1rd on steel Known Distance

Stage 2: In a Log Pile
4rd on Steel Known Distance
4rd on Steel UKD

Stage 3: From a Flatbed Trailer
4rd Shot off Barrel UKD
4rd Weakside Prone same target as above
4rd Shot off tires same target as above
4rd Shot off tires UKD
4rd Shot off barrel same target as above

Stage 4: Improvised Vehicle
4rd UKD From Vehicle
4rd UKD From Vehicle

Stage 5: Bring the Noise
4rd from one place
4rd from another place
4rd from outside the other places

Stage 6: Pistol
TBD

Stage 7: Tower
4rd Hunters Prone UKD
4rd Hunters Improvised same target as above
4rd Hunters Improvised UKD
4rd Hunters Improvised Known Distance
4RD Hunters Improvised UKD

Stage 8: Mailbox
4rd Roadside UKD
4rd Roadside UKD

Stage 9: Night Shoot.....Same run as Stage 4 but at night.

1)Tribe---PAID
2)Rototuner
3)Captian Kirk
4)Lucas Beitner
5)Cody Beitner
6)Ron Sinnema
7)longeyes
8)bigsteve
9)Jerry from Benchmark
10)Mulehunter
11)bk chilton----PAID
12)kettle falls danny
13)
15)
16)

RSO's:
1)dontstrokeme
2)Bigwheels
3)hopps
4)Doc Neely
5)Don

If anybody has any questions please ask.