• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Member Link Up SHWW Group

Re: SHWW Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Saw a guy put a 6.5mm round on a 13" plate at 1,200yds - OUT OF A BOLT ACTION PISTOL!
whistle.gif

</div></div>

More info on this one please!! PM if deemed private but that sounds like what I have been toying with! Rifle, but a 16" #5 fluted M700 S/A in a Manners GAT! Either 6x45 or 6.5TCU.....would be a short range surgical rifle style but if 1200 yards can come out of a pistol barrel with a 6.5 round I wonder what it is!!! 6.5 WSM? 264Win Mag!!!!
laugh.gif

Justy saw this too!!!! Yeah buddy!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRXvsfulTps"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRXvsfulTps" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I don't really recall... I just know it was a big pistol like one of those Thompson's or something with a scope mounted (not even sure if he was rockin' mill dots, or just using "minute of tree").... and I would have sworn it was a bolt... the cartridge was nothing crazy... I wanna say 260 Rem.... If dylanss is watching, maybe he'll chime in...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you get that vid to embed like that? </div></div>

If the smiley's are #1 then it is #5...media tag....go to the website and copy the address and then add that address into the media tag pop-up.

The new barrel is showing promise. I did a ladder test yesterday with 208 A-Max & had #13-#17 gave me a group of just over 1" @ 300 yds with #16, & #17 touching. That gives me a accuracy node of 75.0-76gr of H-1000 to work with. Haven't crony'd yet, but soon. Hoping to get out again on thurs, or fri to finish up this load, & chrony. Next will be the 210 VLD's I think.

Hey guys new member.

I met Tribe today out at the Ravensdale range. I've done some reading on here before but didn't know about this thread. Just starting to get into the world of ranges beyond 100 yards and precision reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tribe,

How do you like the AICS stock? What sort of bipod do you use? What sort of bipod attachment do you use? Do you have any pictures of these that you can post or email?
</div></div>

I'm a convert. Won't never go back. AI bi-pod all the way. Call me if you want the details......... I haven't been talkin' very sweet to her lately... she won't pose for pictures...
whistle.gif

How was your head feeling today? Any black eyes?
eek.gif
...I was thinking, a knock like that could give a guy a concussion.... That eye relief would be rough on a Red Ryder.... on a Light Weight bolt action .50... Next time, just let him hit you in the face with a hammer, and save the ammo!
laugh.gif

Actually not as bad as I thought, honestly. No real obvious bruising or anything. My thoughts were a bit cloudy last night, but I feel pretty okay today, considering. I don't think I'll shoot that thing again until he changes the scope.

For now I'll be working up some loads with those 208gr A-maxs (which are really long, thin bullets btw). I've never reloaded rifle stuff before (only pistol) so I got a lot to learn, good thing I have friends
smile.gif
!

Right on... let me know if you need any help... I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing, but I'm around there a lot, and might be able to point you in the right direction.... or, in A direction, anyway....
wink.gif

I've just been reading through all of the optics stuff. I need a "starter" mil-dot scope to get load dev. and what not for my Savage. After all I've seen I think I'm going to just start with a Burris or Nikon and then upgrade at some point soon (like after I sell that LWRC M6A2 I was shooting yesterday).

I'm also looking for specifics on using varget with the 208 a-max in .308. I have a pretty good feeling about the load in my rifle since I have a 1:10 twist with a 26" barrel. I've searched through the posts and found a lil info.

At this point the Too Tall Challange will consist of:

Fee: $60
Max shooters: 16 shooters
Time: July 16th Camp at range, July 17th Match, Camp at range, July 18th Free run of course (Can run free course on 17th if we finish early
Max round count: 100 rifle and 50 pistol (bring more if you can)
Calibers accepted: 300 Win Mag and less
Range: Less than 1000 yards....or not
Time Limits: Time limits will vary from stage to stage and will be a soft limit...loss of points for a set amount of time over the limit. Mainly to keep the flow moving.

BBQ Dinner included for July 17th (no pickey eaters...hearty fattening meal guarenteed)

This will be individualy scored/won match.

One point given for each hit, if all targets are hit in relay 1 extra point will be given.

There will be about 3/4 mile of uphill walking between stages 6, 7 and 8.

Bring all your gear on your persons for the entire day.

Courese of Fire:

Stage 1: Flat ground any Style
4rd UKD on paper
6rd Pistol on Steel
5rd UKD on paper
6rd Pistol on Steel
1rd on steel Known Distance

Stage 2: In a Log Pile
4rd on Steel Known Distance
4rd on Steel UKD

Stage 3: From a Flatbed Trailer
4rd Shot off Barrel UKD
4rd Weakside Prone same target as above
4rd Shot off tires same target as above
4rd Shot off tires UKD
4rd Shot off barrel same target as above

Stage 4: Improvised Vehicle
4rd UKD From Vehicle
4rd UKD From Vehicle

Stage 5: Bring the Noise
4rd from one place
4rd from another place
4rd from outside the other places

Stage 6: Pistol
TBD

Stage 7: Tower
4rd Hunters Prone UKD
4rd Hunters Improvised same target as above
4rd Hunters Improvised UKD
4rd Hunters Improvised Known Distance
4RD Hunters Improvised UKD

Stage 8: Mailbox
4rd Roadside UKD
4rd Roadside UKD

Stage 9: Night Shoot.....Same run as Stage 4 but at night.

1)Tribe---PAID
2)Market Garden
3)Bootneck
4)Lucas Beitner
5)Cody Beitner
6)Ron Sinnema
7)longeyes
8)bigsteve
9)264Win
10)diggler44
11)bk chilton----PAID
12)kettle falls danny
13)Captian Kirk
14)Jerry from benchmark
15)Mulehunter
16)Rotortuner

RSO's:
1)dontstrokeme
2)Bigwheels
3)hopps
4)Doc Neely
5)Don

If anybody has any questions please ask.

I belive hopps here in SHWW runs a AR10 with 208Amax and RL17.

For the scope if you can afford it, the Super Sniper 3-9 FFP MIL?MIL is a kick ass scope. You are welcome to look through mine anytime. I also ran the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Mildot and it was a good scope and tracked well...but it is a hunting scope and the MIL reticle MOA knobs gets old pretty fast....especially once you try the MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

Each has their own opinion but I prefer MIL over MOA only because most people run MIL...so when you ask for an impact adjustment 90% of the time you will get it in MILs.

Danska... DSM & Dylanss are both spot on, IMO.

The 175 SMK's with somewhere between 43 & 45 grains of Varget will treat you very well, for a long time... as far as 208's with Varget... Ranger may have played around with a combo similar to that... I know he was shooting some heavies with the 308, with success.... maybe he will weigh-in.

As for the glass... I would recommend Mil/Mil, but either way, DEFINITELY make sure the reticle matches the turrets (mil/mil or moa/moa)... also, where glass is concerned, I would buy the best you can afford, or you will be going back to do it later anyway.
wink.gif

Keep in mind, you still have time to turn back... you only peer over the edge now.... If however, you elect to continue... Welcome to the Rabbit Hole - may God have mercy on your soul!
laugh.gif
whistle.gif

Yeah the 208s are gaining popularity among the .308 guys. I think as long as you have a longer barrel and have the 1:10 twist you can get away with it.

Are there good areas to shoot over at Port Angeles? Nikon's are one of the scopes I've been considering. Most of the burris scopes I can't really use until I get to the TAC 30? Because they have a combined bdc/mil dot reticle. I'm looking for a straight mil or similar.

My gun did a lot better with 190s so far, only had match type ammo in 175s to compare it to. If for some reason it dosen't work with 208s I won't continue wasting my time, but I think its a superior bullet for real long distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keep in mind, you still have time to turn back... you only peer over the edge now.... If however, you elect to continue... Welcome to the Rabbit Hole - may God have mercy on your soul!
laugh.gif
whistle.gif
</div></div>

I think its too late after seeing that AI set-up you have, lol!

Hey chad how about posting a pic of your new rig. I am still running a harris on my 260 in the AI stock.

as far as the 208 go in a 308 what is the loading using rl 17?

Joe, I take it that the place your having this match is not the same hill top above the Elwa that we have used in the past

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey chad how about posting a pic of your new rig. I am still running a harris on my 260 in the AI stock.

as far as the 208 go in a 308 what is the loading using rl 17?

Joe, I take it that the place your having this match is not the same hill top above the Elwa that we have used in the past </div></div>

I'm gonna start working up some loads with Varget first. It is slower but seemingly more accurate than RL17 and less temperature sensitive (not really a concern for me). I figure with a 26" barrel I'm making up a little ground on the guys using RL17.

I'll see how it goes and then maybe switch to the RL17 after I work through the Varget I have.

Here is the thread link on here about RL17 and the 208 a-max in .308 http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1876957&page=6

I've read several other boards concerning this bullet in .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a pic of my 260. I havent yet decided if I am going to leave the barrel in stainless or paint it black or Grey
101_1795.jpg
</div></div>

Hey Dafar,

what is the length of that barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Joe, I take it that the place your having this match is not the same hill top above the Elwa that we have used in the past </div></div>
It is the same spot you have been before with the shooting shack. I ight be running out there Sunday to shoot a little bit if anybody wants to come out.

I took the time today to hit the range. Recently the shot groups had gone to shit so I decided to take drastic measures. Yes, I went so far as to clean the barrel and see if that was the problem. Well, between the new glass and a clean barrel, I'd say things worked out ok.

X-2010-06-18-620x1122.jpg

I need to do some reloading, though. Those groups were done with FGMM, not a tuned hand load. I need to find a place where I can practice shooting at a real distance. If I get some reloading done, I might just take her out again and she what she can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds between cleanings? </div></div>
several hundred. It had bright orange streaks of copper on the lands. I'm guessing that the tight Palma bore requires more maintenance.

Question regarding the mil/mil and moa/moa thing.

I was told that for example if I bought a mil/mil scope that it wouldn't workt to well if my spotter was using MOA. Any experience my fellow WA shooters can lend to me on this matter?

Well, It's finished!
laugh.gif

My New, Old Rifle.
Montana 1999 Long action in 300 WM with it's new 28" 1:10 tw Krieger done by Benchmark. I just finished the bedding this afternoon, & painted it up. The paint is'n even cured all the way yet. And so far it shoots too. I did my OCW testing over the weekend in the old stock, & shot a 3/4" @ 200 yds. I'll tweak the seating depth next to see if it will do better.
url]
[/img]
url]
[/img]
url]
[/img]

Did you do the camo yourself?

I'm going to be starting out with a cheap mil/mil but after I sell my LWRC, I'll have a decent amount more play money to buy the scope I really would like to get. Just trying to get a feeler about what is more practical.

Yeah. I painted it myself. Nothing fancy, just Krylon camo coatings. That way I can always change it if I want in a couple hours, & fix scratches, etc myself too. I've had the barrel done for a few weeks, but the stock just came in on Fri. It's a Manners T5-A. I can't wait to shoot it now that it's done to my specs...Finally!