• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

South Korea sniper can run 87,000 yrd!

Re: South Korea sniper can run 87,000 yrd!

thats about 50 miles.

how long does he have to do it?
a week?
what pace?

a top level marathon runner couldent do it in a day , most like not even two days

100 mile one day trail runs are fairly common Old Dominion in Virginia to name one,shorts and running shoes. Military snipers may be/probably are equipped different. The winners in those events are sub 20 hours.

The Western States 100-mile Endurance Ultramarathon has been done in under <span style="text-decoration: underline">16 hours</span>. The race must be completed in less than 24 hours, or the competitor will be disqualified.

Yeah if you go over the 24 you don't get the place credit to use for qualification for another event. 9 hours for 100 miles is smoking?Sure it's not 19 or less than 100 miles? The 2010 Old Dominion was won low 16 hours with #2 at just about 21.

The course record for the Western States 100 is 15:07:04, breaking out to an average pace of 9:04 per mile. While this is incredible for that distance in that terrain, it is nowhere near the 5 flat pace that elite marathon runners are putting in now. That is not to diminish the accomplishment, the speed is just at an entirely different level.

Holy hell! I about fell out of my chair when I read this, I had no idea people were capable of running like that, thats a pretty impressive feat.

I seem to remember watching the finish of the Western States a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember which year this took place. The second place finisher had gotten off route, which cost him about 1 hour, because of which he came in about <span style="text-decoration: underline">20 seconds</span> behind the first place winner. I could be mistaken, but I believe the first place winner in that race did finish in under 9 hours. The second place finisher had also taken second place in the previous year's race, so he was very frustrated.

marsh, if you think <span style="text-decoration: underline">that</span> is crazy, read a book called "Born To Run." It tells about the Tarahumara Indians, who can run SEVERAL HUNDRED miles, barefoot, or in sandals!

Yea that Ted guys the one I was talking about, pretty sweet. I started myself last year. Ran a 10k so far with a stroller. Next up 13.2 miler.

That's quite good, marsh. I started barefoot running too, because of that book. Before that, I was running marathon distances regularly. At 6'8" and 325 pounds (6% body fat), I am having to ease into barefoot running VERY gradually, but I will get to the point where I can do marathons barefoot.

Very true, also the amount of people that buy five fingers then take off running like they would normally is ridiculous. I definitely think it has it's place, especially if your in a job that requires you to move out. I do it twice a week, usually after weightlifting. From what I've seen around here most people I see running with vffs would be better off buying inova8s or Nike frees because they don't want to take the time to do it correctly. It's not a magic pill

Hell..even in artillery we did a 25 mile run...I am NO RUNNER and I did it in 7 hrs 20 minutes, full combat, ruck and weapon.

marsh, you are right. Especially those who do not understand that they should start barefoot, before trying the vffs or others, and also, those who do not understand that they should start their barefoot running on wet grass, not concrete.

bench, you are certainly correct about some people, but I, for one, do not run on concrete or pavement anyway, because our bodies are not really suited for that.
I run on dirt trails.

Reading this kinda stuff just freaks me out...

Currently suffering an unknown ankle injury (either tendon or fracture) from overuse.

I dont want to blame the vibrams but I wonder would this have happened in another type of shoe?

It's impossible to answer, previous injuries? Age? Other health problems? Smoker/drinker, etc.

Were you using a method like pose running or did you just start running in vibrams one day(saw a few patients last year like this). When you get better if you still want to do it pick up any of the books out there( barefoot running for dummies even). Then run BAREFOOT, ie no vibrams. They disguise improper running technique by making incorrect technique less painful.

Or just get shoes like innova-8's, and try a method like pose. This option makes the most sense to me. You'd still be wearing shoes, albeit racing flat type ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bench, you are certainly correct about some people, but I, for one, do not run on concrete or pavement anyway, because our bodies are not really suited for that.
I run on dirt trails. </div></div>
and thats good...but you likely still walk on concrete in your everyday life?....most of those bare foot indians everyone keeps talking about have likely never seen concrete...much less walked or ran on it...

bench

bench, good point. i do walk on concrete sometimes in my daily life, but I almost never do it barefoot. compared to the amount of walking and running i do on dirt, the amount of time i spend on concrete is probably negligible.

those indians do run barefoot on broken rock, though, sometimes for miles. not saying that is like concrete, but i suspect that they could deal with a little bit of concrete if they needed to.

tiger

vman, you might want to find a POSE instructor. they will be able to diagnose what you are doing wrong, if anything, much better than you can do from a book, or even a video. they can also teach you correct technique, which might have some things in it that you do not know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Western States 100-mile Endurance Ultramarathon has been done in under <span style="text-decoration: underline">9 hours</span>. The race must be completed in less than 24 hours, or the competitor will be disqualified. </div></div>

ahhhh.....no.

The 37th annual Western States 100-mile Endurance Run on Saturday, June 26 was one for the record books: Alaska's Geoff Roes won, setting a new course record of 15 hours, 7 minutes, 4 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seuss, I have known about Badwater for years, and I may actually run that one. I suspect I will not do it barefoot, though. </div></div>
if "some navy guy" can do it, anyone can...

grin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbwyEVb3hSo

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bmt, you don't know what you can do until you really apply yourself to it. </div></div>

True. And your point is well taken.

For reference: At the time (1989) I was a member of the Dave Scott (Mr. Ironman) triathlon club in Davis, CA (Mr. Scott's Hometown).

I ate as Dave advised, I worked out as Dave advised, and I performed very well.

Very well for a 300 pound Offensive tackle is trimming down to 210. Best run time was 4 miles in 29:45.

Still, I have the long heavy thigh bones of a tackle, not a wide receiver.

That suited me will on the bike, I road the 200-mile-in-one-day event in 11:44 (that's eleven hours, 44 min).

I swam well too. Often getting out of the water with the pros. I rode well and usually picked up a few places on the pros.

Nevertheless, I ran much slower than they did. I did 12 minute miles at the Donner Lake Triathlon (Elevation 6,000 feet) over a 7 mile course.

Today, I am 47 and just took my Black Belt Test in Tae Kwon Do.

Still, long (10+) mile runs are simply hikes.

BMT

This is quite the awesome thread! You guys are getting quite a variety of ideas. Coming from a current collegiate distance runner, these ultra marathoners are absolutely crazy. It would surprise you guys to think that they hold weekly mileage in the area of 50-70. These runners just go forever! As for marathoners, I have met guys who do 160-180 miles per week. I though holding 105 mow was rough! They are absolute crazy individuals who I admire! Someday I hope to compete in some of the events that they do! I have long runs in the 20s when at top mileage, and I think that they suck and thy are only at 6:30ish pace.

As for barefoot, it can be a blessing and a curse. Barefoot running is the bat form of running because it is the natural foot strike. Shoes make a runner form to how they are designed. The Vibrams are sweet and a great tool, but people like to just put them on and just go for a normal run. If people take up barefoot/Vibrams, they need to start low mileage on soft surfaces. Jumping right in can cause too much difference in running form and a body can't acclimate to it as fast as the mind can.

Keep running and keep shooting dudes!

~iShoot

iShoot, you are correct about barefoot running. It is critical to start slowly, barefoot (don't even think of starting with Vibrams or any other footwear), on wet grass. Starting with 5 minutes a day of standing on wet grass just picking up your feet and putting them down might not be a bad idea, later to be followed by light running in place on wet grass, to make sure you are not landing on your heel. It is essential to make sure your foot is landing properly; this is possibly best done by finding an instructor (look for the POSE Technique).

Vibram FiveFingers are great shoes, but only after you are certain that your form is correct.

The Vibrams are a really cool design, but definitely are not needed. Barefoot running is a great technique to help strengthen foot muscles, calves, shins, and knees. If done right it can be extremely benefitial, especially to people who run daily. Barefoot needs to be started slowly. When I started barefoot this summer, I started off at half a mile around the inside of a track. Slowly over the weeks, I got up to seven miles barefoot and it was a great feeling! Anyone can benefit from it, as long as it is started and done the right way.

~iShoot

Air Force Half Marathon

Nearly anyone can run long distances with the proper training, rest, and diet. I started running long distnaces while I was in Iraq. Myself and a budy of mine decided that we wanted to participate in the Air Force Half Marathon (13.2 miles) we started off by running 3 miles 3 times for the first week, 5 miles 3 times in the second week, and 8 miles on Tuesday and 10 miles on Firday of the third week. The race was that next Monday. Then a week to the day after the Air Force Half Marathon, we both ran in the Army 10-Miler. If I can do this while in a combat zone (with crappy food, littlte sleep, etc.) anyone who lives in the States can do this.

Re: Air Force Half Marathon

True to an extent. Even those of us in the states still have to fit in the time. If I didn't work a fire schedule with 48 off I could see time being a factor. The guys with 5 day jobs and families really have to steal the time.

Re: Air Force Half Marathon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True to an extent. Even those of us in the states still have to fit in the time...guys with 5 day jobs and families really have to steal the time. </div></div>

It really depends on how badly you want to compete. There were times when my budy and I would wake up at 3:30 in the morning to run. Often we would have to cut our runs short due to mission obligations.

I understand that many people say that they just don't have the time to train like this; and some people really don't have the time to spend. To these people, I'm sorry. However, I've found that most people have the time, they're just not willing to give up their "TV-time" or "bar time" to get outside and run.

Bench, if you do that, I want to see it, and if you actually win, then I have decided to run it backwards, nude, and on my hands, while balancing a naked woman on each foot.
laugh.gif

beaten!!!
grin.gif

Tiger