• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20x50 or ZCO 4-20x50: Experiences Please

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I'm looking to upgrade my Steiner T5Xi 3-15 this spring. This last year has been a big season of downsizing and upgrading for me.

The Steiner M7XI is catching my eye. Similar in weight, mag range, etc.. to the ZCO, but I can get the M7XI for $1k less than a ZCO.

Anyone get behind both? How is the CA on the M7Xi that seems to be prevalent on Steiners? How's the general clarity compared to other scopes around and just above it's price category [ATACR, ZCO, TT, S&B, the new Zeiss, etc..].

I've flirted with this type of question in a few other threads this past year, but I'm basically asking the guys who really get behind these scopes if I'd really be giving much up by going with the M7Xi over the ZCO?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bravo6
    I just started looking at it. It will take me a little time to have some sort of a reasonable conclusion.

ILya
    In that case, I'm eagerly looking forward to your assessment.
    As well as others who have gotten behind the M7Xi and have the discerning ability to compare against other similar quality optics.

Thanks for the response!

I haven’t seen the 2.9-20 as there is very little price difference and the S&B ultra short is much more compact. The CA in the Steiner M7 is NOT the problem it is made out to be, but it is there nonetheless when viewing very bright or white backgrounds. I only see it on white paper targets at 100 yards. In fact the the 4-28 is very good up to 20x before image quality starts to degrade - perhaps it will be top notch all the way to the top end of the 2.9-20….
    Personally I run the Steiner because of the MSR2 reticle and it is an outstanding scope in all aspects and it is a good $500 less than the S&B 5-25. The S&B is slightly better optically to my eye (depending on the ambient light and weather). The tunneling is annoying and unless it has the new DT2+ turrets it’s a hard pass on the Schmidt. The Steiner has great turrets and is a solid all around performer.
    The ZCO is very good optically and the controls are top notch with the downside being reticle choices. If you have to have the best you’ll probably end up lusting after the ZCO. If a feature not offered in the ZCO is a critical factor for you the Steiner is certainly one of the Alpha options.
    If you end up with the 2.9-20 you should do a review as there is definitely a lack of information for that particular optic.

@koshkin

Any hope for a Christmas thoughts on the M7Xi 2.9-20?
    @koshkin
    Any estimate on how much time you're going to spend with the M7Xi before you develop an inkling of an opinion on it?
    I'm going to drop some money on the M7Xi 2.9-20 or ZCO 4-20 in about a week and then run that scope in a mid-to-long range course in three weeks.
    Any immediate sagacious opinions before I dump almost a months wages on a scope?

@D_TROS has a lot of experience with the M7Xi series scopes
    @D_TROS
    If you have anything erudite to add, I'm all ears. I certainly appreciate any insight based on actual experience.

Hope you all had a merry Christmas.
    Cheers!

Reactions: Eric32
    I just started looking at it. It will take me a little time to have some sort of a reasonable conclusion.

ILya
    any idea if they're going to drop the IFS version with a mil reticle? Had the chance to get behind an IFS system a couple weeks ago and was seriously impressed, but I have the problem of preferring mils and the MSR2 is MoA

Yeah, I've got a couple of the M7s with the MSR. Its my favorite reticle. The IFS looks pretty sweet too.
    I just need to find out if the forthcoming Wilcox MRF will link with it. I'm guessing it should since they both run off applied ballistics connections for things like the sig rangefinders, kestrels, etc, and a rifle mounted LRF is the main thing it lacks to bring the real power out. The one I was using two weekends ago was using a Sig Kilo3k as the LRF to feed the IFS module.

Reactions: Long Range 338
    All M series scopes are in Mils, T series have options for both. I have been trying to convince Steiner to get the IFS system to talk to a Raptar but haven't heard anything back. That being said the IFS is sweet and for a buddy deal it isn't crazy expensive when compared to a ZCO, TT, or high end S&B. It's also covered under Steiners lifetime warranty.

I'm looking to upgrade my Steiner T5Xi 3-15 this spring. This last year has been a big season of downsizing and upgrading for me.

The Steiner M7XI is catching my eye. Similar in weight, mag range, etc.. to the ZCO, but I can get the M7XI for $1k less than a ZCO.

Anyone get behind both? How is the CA on the M7Xi that seems to be prevalent on Steiners? How's the general clarity compared to other scopes around and just above it's price category [ATACR, ZCO, TT, S&B, the new Zeiss, etc..].

I've flirted with this type of question in a few other threads this past year, but I'm basically asking the guys who really get behind these scopes if I'd really be giving much up by going with the M7Xi over the ZCO?

One of our customer's Licentia Arms who's specializes in night vision absolutely loves the ZC420 with clip ons!!!

127819058_1881209182017118_5808963876628111295_n.jpg

109503534_1749305341874170_3323294784037219813_n.jpg

Reactions: Bakwa and rothgyr
    For anyone following or referencing this thread, I ended up buying a M7Xi 2.9-20 back in December, ran it in a Jan class, and have since also bought a ZCO 420. Waiting to rebarrel my Tikka before mounting the ZCO. Looking forward to getting behind it in the field.

I have a mini review of the M7Xi here.

Cheers

For anyone following or referencing this thread, I ended up buying a M7Xi 2.9-20 back in December, ran it in a Jan class, and have since also bought a ZCO 420. Waiting to rebarrel my Tikka before mounting the ZCO. Looking forward to getting behind it in the field.

I have a mini review of the M7Xi here.

Cheers
    Your making the poors jealous. Just 🛑

Reactions: Bakwa