• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Straight wall cartridge in axsa

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Arkansas just legalized straight wall cartridges for my deer hunting zone. Rather then build a 4K rifle I was curious if anyone has ever ran a 450 bushmaster or similar in an ai. A 800$ barrel sounds better then going all out on a rifle I can only use two weeks out of the year. Unfortunately every time I buy something that’s reasonably priced I come up disappointed so cheaper factory rifle isn’t really in consideration.

I'm not very familiar with the ballistics on this type of round, but do you really expect to use it lethally past 200 yards? if not I would just get a savage 110 in 350 legend.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I'm not here with an answer. Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in.

Perhaps @DAVETOOLEY may know? He has extensive experience with AI. @Frank Green may know as well.

I'll also tag in @tomirwin with AI.

It's probably worth talking to your gunsmith who's provided your other AI barrels, if you haven't already (if you have a gunsmith).

I hear you about not wanting to buy a dedicated hunting rifle for limited use, especially when you're use to the finer things. I did something similar when I got into hunting - I purchased a light chassis and a short light barrel for my Mausingfield, rather than dump a bunch of money into a dedicated hunting rifle or settle for something lesser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Green
If just going by the case head diameter, you'd be okay. However I wonder what kind of a setup you'd have to use regarding the magazine and follower for reliability?

Reactions: kthomas
Yes I meant to mention this issue as well. I’d imagine some type of spacer on the follower?

You'd have to design those yourself I think as I've never seen anything like that before (doesn't mean it doesn't exist already). Fortunately, I would think that with today's technology and printing capabilities you might be onto something business-wise.

Still would probably have to tweak the magazine lips though I am guessing for that 450BM.

Absolute retarded waste of time and money. It's a 250 and yard in deer cartridge. Think 30-30. Buy a ruger American or build an AR in 350 legend and be done with it. If you want to splurge...throw a zco or tangent on it.

450bm is a waste of energy, noise and recoil when the 350 shoots flatter.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Stuff like the 350L uses a .378 case head diameter, so it is pointless to even compare in this instance.

I'm still in the camp of getting a cheap, second rifle. However, I think that if a dude has the money and wants to try something new - that is his business.

Even if that business is a 15-18lb, 450BM. :D

I had a 450BM barrel made for my SRS and MDRX, it works great for simple short range (200y or less) shots. I shoot it subsonic too, which is incredibly quiet and powerful.

b162e16a-e07b-40ca-8a57-323e8aac2806.jpeg

Reactions: JohnDeereGuy1996
But a 44 mag and be done with it. Iffin you like nice thangs, find some real uppiddy lever gun and then dump cash into it making it look like a space gun. Throw a 1-4/6/8/10 on the top and blast deer.

I bout a single shot NEF Handi Rifle in 44 mag when Ohio changed to the straight wall game 10 or so years ago. Slapped a 1-4 on it and called it good.

Absolute retarded waste of time and money. It's a 250 and yard in deer cartridge. Think 30-30. Buy a ruger American or build an AR in 350 legend and be done with it. If you want to splurge...throw a zco or tangent on it.

Retard must be your word of the week.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

I thought you were banned. Good to see you shitting in every thread again. I’ve seen more issues with Ruger Americans than I can count on two hands. No thank you. Also no semi autos for my zone.

I thought you were banned. Good to see you shitting in every thread again. I’ve seen more issues with Ruger Americans than I can count on two hands. No thank you. Also no semi autos for my zone.

Another potential option is just getting something simple like a single shot H&R handi-rifle, if the AI project doesn't pan out.

Reactions: JohnDeereGuy1996
The only decent factory option seems to be bergara. May go that route. Ai weight doesn’t bother me for this I’m walking max a mile in to a box blind.

To be honest I was Just going to build an upper until they changed the ruling to no semi autos.

“I visit the Internet forum Sniper’s Hide as a way to ensure I don’t waste my time and money on hobbies.”

- Nobody Ever

I'm not here with an answer. Hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in.

Perhaps @DAVETOOLEY may know? He has extensive experience with AI. @Frank Green may know as well.

I'll also tag in @tomirwin with AI.

It's probably worth talking to your gunsmith who's provided your other AI barrels, if you haven't already (if you have a gunsmith).

I hear you about not wanting to buy a dedicated hunting rifle for limited use, especially when you're use to the finer things. I did something similar when I got into hunting - I purchased a light chassis and a short light barrel for my Mausingfield, rather than dump a bunch of money into a dedicated hunting rifle or settle for something lesser.
I offhand don't know of anything.

I think feeding might be the biggest issue with the magazine.

Also 350 Legend is a 223 bolt face and the 400 Legend is .422" diameter. So bolt face might be an issue you will have to look at as well depending what parent case or caliber you are looking at.

“I visit the Internet forum Sniper’s Hide as a way to ensure I don’t waste my time and money on hobbies.”

- Nobody Ever
My thoughts exactly 😂. We’re all guilty of dropping 10k on a set up to shoot steel targets. Then people scoff when you don’t feel like a ruger American will be good enough to shoot something actually living.

If you're wanting .452 diameter, and if you really want something different in your ai, look into the 45 raptor. Basically the same thing as a 460s&w but meant to work in the ar10 platform. Should be able to make it work in an ai.

A friend of mine built a 460s&w on a model 700 for someone that had to deal with straight wall regulations. The factory 200gr hornady ammo went from 2300 fps out of our 8⅜" revolvers to 2900 fps out of the 18" barreled 700.

After seeing that much velocity gain in an 18" he built himself a t/c encore with a 28" tube. He had intended to cut it down a little at a time to see where it performed best. Sadly he passed before r&d was done on that project.

I've killed animals out to 100 yards with my s&w x frame. Flat out hammered a couple of them. I mostly shoot the 240gr xtp mag at 2000 fps.

My thoughts exactly 😂. We’re all guilty of dropping 10k on a set up to shoot steel targets. Then people scoff when you don’t feel like a ruger American will be good enough to shoot something actually living.

My Casio keeps better time than my Rolex. Some people just like nice things. I've done the 450 and highly recommend the 350 over it.

Origin 350 legend (middle)
Compress_20240730_160051_1004.jpg

Reactions: 2c1fr
IDK if that's what OP needs, but that's exactly what he's asking for
If you're wanting .452 diameter, and if you really want something different in your ai, look into the 45 raptor. Basically the same thing as a 460s&w but meant to work in the ar10 platform.

Reactions: XP1K
360 buckhammer in a single shot Encore, slings 180 Barnes Tipped TSX at 2550-2600 fps with 1680 powder in a 20" barrel... That'll be this year's gun. But to answer your question I have had no issues getting 450 bushmaster to feed from AICS mags. If that is the mag your gun uses, you shouldn't have any problems.

I say get a barrel made and have fun. Standard 308 aics mags work fine for 450 bushmaster and ammo is very easy to find. If you’re a reloader I would go with the 45 raptor. Should feed better than 450 from aics mags and has a decent performance gain over the 450.

Reactions: XP1K
To be honest I was Just going to build an upper until they changed the ruling to no semi autos.

I'm all for building uniquely stupid firearms, but... you could make an off the shelf AR upper NOT semi automatic in a couple ways.

I'm opposed to these "silly seasons" for a lot of reasons, but one's like this are just another money grab by the state. If they really needed a conservation tool to have more deer taken, they could just extend the regular seasons, or increase bag limits. Instead they go the sucker tax route. "Muzzle loader" tag or "primitive weapon" tag, and allow you to use weapons that are anything but primitive. Because it's all about selling you that other tag. All about money. :(

Last edited:
w
I'm all for building uniquely stupid firearms, but... you could make an off the shelf AR upper NOT semi automatic in a couple ways.

I'm opposed to these "silly seasons" for a lot of reasons, but one's like this are just another money grab by the state. If they really needed a conservation tool to have more deer taken, they could just extend the regular seasons, or increase bag limits. Instead they go the sucker tax route. "Muzzle loader" tag or "primitive weapon" tag, and allow you to use weapons that are anything but primitive. Because it's all about selling you that other tag. All about money. :(
well I mostly bow hunt but we have two weeks of “modern gun”. Which limited us to straight wall pistol calibers with a 10 inch barrel or less or shotguns with slugs…I can’t tell you how much I hate slugs having lost two of the biggest deer I’ve shot with them. Accuracy and performance are just not there.

So this is kind of a welcome addition honestly.

If you decide to go the 450 bushmaster route get a 1:14 twist barrel, 1:24 is standard for the 450. With the faster barrel you will be able to shoot bullet weights over 300g. The 458 SOCOM is 1:14 to be shoot 400g bullets accurately. A 350g cast bullet out of a 450 will kill at a long way out. Remember what killed a lot of plains buffalo.

Mike

I get where you are coming from but this is not a "silly season" tactic or tax tactic. I can take 6 deer, 2 turkeys, a bear, predators, and fish all year for $35.00. Conjecture on my part but I think the change has something to do with CWD getting out of control.