Suggestion on where to buy steel targets?

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
I'll be home on R&R soon and I'd like a decent steel target for using at the 600 yard range, perhaps out to about 800 or so on occasion. Not really interested in acquiring the materials and a torch in the limited I will be home.

Looking for a nice torso sized target with a decent base. So long as it's decent quality and makes a clear audible 'ding', I'm happy.

Any suggestions?

Re: Suggestion on where to buy steel targets?

Ryan on this site (Big Dog Steel, OSUArchitect) makes the best military E-type silhouette and stand in the business.

After 31 years in the Army and shooting 34 years I've busted lots of targets. Ryan's is proportionally correct, water cut, and hell-for stout -- we shot them at 600 yards with .50 cals and they barely dented.

You can try V-TAC, MGM Targets, Action Targets, and about a half-dozen other sources, but I don't think you'll be as happy for the buck. If you are making the military a career I'd be surprised if these don't last ten to twenty years if you're shooting them past 300 yards.

Another BigDogSteel supporter. Recently ordered a stand/AR500 target combo; price was very reasonable, delivery was fast, and .308 rounds barely even leave a mark at 600 yd. Very pleased with both the product and service.

Widener's Reloading Supplies has the best deal on AR 500 Steel Targets I've seen anywhere, discount for four, or buy one at a time, 3/8 and 1/2 steal plates-torso cut. Their price is going to be hard to beat!

I thought I'd post their listing on a few, they have rounds, squares, torsos etc, but here is a sample:
Product Name Inventory Status Add to Cart
STP38SLPK 3/8 Steel Target Plate Silhouette Four Pack $150.00 Pre-Paid Thru USPS IN STOCK Log In

I know I have been a little quiet around here lately, but I am still around!

Not everything is listed on my site at this time, so please contact me direct for anything you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a nice product also......very inexpensive compared to other vendors for the same size product. I Can't find anyone offering a full size IPSC man target for under $200 ANYWHERE on the web.......only $169 here......

http://www.arntzentargets.com/products.htm </div></div>

I offer them for $160.

I hate to post again on this string, but I just got some steel today from Wideners in TN, What a good deal! 1/2 AR500 can take a 50bmg, if mounted in a swinging configuration here is what their web site states:

STPSL 1/2 Steel Target Plate Silhouette $69.50 order 3 and pay only $59.50 each.

1/2" 500 Brinell Steel Target Plate Only

Silhouette Measures 16.5" tall x 9" wide. These targets are so tough that drill or punching them is almost impossible. So we made them with holes already in place so you can make swinger targets. Always carry some extra bolts, chain and/or rope, and wrench/vice grip to replace bolts when you shoot them down. Most steel targets are 3/8" but we had these made 1/2" and they will take a 50BMG bullet without much damage. DO NOT USE AP bullets unless you want to destroy your target. Even AP's will take a while. You will not be disappointed as to how tough these 1/2" babies are. Also, swinging targets take up a lot of energy. If you place these target against a solid background without swing, it may shorten the life of your target.

NOW WITH NEW HOLE LOCATION SO YOU CAN USE BOLTS, CHAINS AND ROPES TO EASILY MAKE SWINGER TARGETS!!! NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!

Intended for High Power Rifles, Do not shoot closer than 100 yards.

You are getting the UNFINISHED Target Plate. We are supplying you the plate, it is up to you whether you want to Paint it, hang it, weld a base on it for a knock over target, or design your own pop up target or swinger.

Use at your own Risk !! Shooting at steel can be dangerous.

REVIEW: We took one of these plates and welded a chain on the back at one link. We then suspended the plate with polypro rope and shot it with 100 rounds of 30 carbine, 20 rounds of 7.5 Swiss, 60 rounds of DAG 308 fmj, 3 out of 6 38 special (from 100 yards, thank you) 20 rounds of 7.62x54R and finished up with about 300 rounds of M855. It rang LOUD everything we hit it. The only damage was a lucky hit on the edge which knocked out a small chip from the edge and some very minor dimples from the M855 ammo. NO damage at all from the other ammo. (NOTE: Russ shot the chain in two three times, but that was OK because we just tied the rope behind the plate to the protected links and kept shooting. He claimed he was aiming at the chain...... uhhh ok) We spray painted it orange a couple times but that was all. CONCLUSION: YOU CAN NOT AFFORD THE AMMO THAT IT WOULD TAKE TO WEAR THIS PLATE OUT. I guess you could with 50 bmg or black tip AP '06, but why would you? Hang several of these targets up from 100 to 200 yards from the cabin and you will have almost a life time target. 500 brinnell is hardern' third grade. This target simulated center of mass for a human size target. This target weighs 20 pounds each, so you know it when you hit it!!

Order three and save $ 30.00!! Check out all the other sizes of 1/2" plate that we have.

To reduce riccochet, use soft point ammo, but this plate is 1/2" thick!!!! It can take FMJ ammo but beware. Do not shoot with true AP ammo or 50 BMG in order to spare the target. Thanks for all your business and support for 31 years... Stan Widener, Owner

Manufacturer: Z1
Stock Number: STPSL
Inventory Status: IN STOCK
Price:
1 to 2 - $69.50

Big Dog Steel is the way to go. Reasonably priced, tough, well made targets, ships very fast.

Arntzen may be pretty cheap and they may make ok targets, but I wouldn't know. Tried ordering from them - two weeks later, nothing. Didn't respond to emails, tried calling them and got a confused receptionist who told me the guy I needed to talk to won't be in until next week. They charged my card really quick, to bad they never bothered to ship.

Big Dog isn't the cheapest, but like anything else you get what you pay for.

Arntzen is actually a steel forming/rolling company first (http://www.arntzenrolling.com/) and they just happen to do a little target thing on the side. I bet there is only one guy that deals with it. I am sorry to hear they treated you that way.

As long as you know you are getting AR500, it doesn't matter who you get it from. AR500 is an ASTM specification that the steel mills produce to. AR500 is AR500 is AR500, no matter who you get it from. It is all produced to the same standard. For our intended purposes (targets), any cutting method will suffice and not make a lick of difference in our application. Be it Laser/Plasma/HyDef Plasma/Waterjet/Saw, etc. It always makes me smile when I see those arguments come up..lol.

I guess what I am getting at is...Pick a company that you enjoy dealing with. As long as you are comfortable with your vendor, and you know what you are getting, nothing else really matters.

FYI, We (Bobcat Steel) are running a sale at the moment....check it out.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2499111#Post2499111

I have bought from Big Dog and Bobcat steel. Both here on the Hide......good products, good service and both great guys to do business with in my experience. Both offer nice specials on here if you follow the add section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minnpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAKE them yourself they are very easy to make.</div></div>

Yeah not to take away from the site vendors and sponsors but I just made (well had made) a 3/8 thick AR 500 IPSC full size target for $90. A local metal dealer had the AR500 in stock and I just gave them the IPSC target dimensions and they cut it out and put mounting holes and everything. I don't know the availability and price of AR500 in the rest of the country but it is not bad here due to all of the coal mines using a ton of it.

I've really liked the stuff I've gotten from JC Steel. I felt like the 1/2 inch was overkill for precision rifle and hunting rifle target practice from 300 yards and out. The extra thickness doesn't do me any good. I wish I would have gone a step down. I'm not shooting FMJ bullets or steel core or anything, but to me 1/2 has been all draw back and no benefit over the 3/8. 1/2 is heavier to pack out and back, doesn't swing as much for visual confirmation of hits, and doesn't sing as much for audible confirmation of hits. If I could do it all over again...

I'd like to get some steel to play with. Would like to use it for handguns and rifles. Biggest gun I have currently is a 300 win, but I might get a 338 in the future. I like to play out to 1000 and beyond with the rifles. Handguns are just typical handgun stuff. Any suggestions on plate size, thickness, and manufacturer? Any low cost options out there? Anything you've learned? I want something that will last, but don't want to spend a ton. 1/2" AR500 seems to be the recipe for larger rifles. Thanks!
From the ShootingTargets7 website

STEEL TARGET THICKNESS GUIDE