• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

The Lyman 1200 DPS 3 is a complete...

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
...waste of money. I bought one about a month ago, and thought they had worked the bugs out with the "3" model. I really wanted the Chargemaster, but the Lyman was considerably cheaper. Well, its been a headache since the day I took it out of the box. Its a PITA to get a consistent zero, and has a propensity to wander regardless of what you are doing with the machine. I've called Lyamn twice to troubleshoot, but I am still having issues. It is VERY sensitive to static, and I have tried all the recommendations from Lyman and the internet with little luck. But that's only half the problem. If I am lucky enough for it to zero, then the weight is generally off 0.2gr from what you punch in. Basically, if you want 44.2gr, you have to punch in 44.0 and hope it doesn't go over.

I guess I'll find out how good Lyman's customer service is tomorrow, as I will be shipping it back this week.

Re: The Lyman 1200 DPS 3 is a complete...

I had the same issues with the DPS 2. The most annoying thing about the machine was that obnoxious beep it made after it was done throwing a charge. For the scale drift and its inability to hold zero, nothing this electrical engineer did seemed to work. I'll just chock it up to a poor design and/or build quality. By the time mine had issues, the warranty had long since expired, so into the electronic waste recycling pile it went.

I went back to throw short and trickle up and have had no issues ever since.

Here's the mystery to me. I own two other electronic scales, an RCBS 750 and a Cabelas. Neither of these scales have ever had an issue with static, the zero never wanders, and you only have to calibrate it once. What is so different about the Lyman, and do the RCBS and PACT have the same problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...waste of money. I bought one about a month ago, and thought they had worked the bugs out with the "3" model. I really wanted the Chargemaster, but the Lyman was considerably cheaper. Well, its been a headache since the day I took it out of the box. Its a PITA to get a consistent zero, and has a propensity to wander regardless of what you are doing with the machine. I've called Lyamn twice to troubleshoot, but I am still having issues. It is VERY sensitive to static, and I have tried all the recommendations from Lyman and the internet with little luck. But that's only half the problem. If I am lucky enough for it to zero, then the weight is generally off 0.2gr from what you punch in. Basically, if you want 44.2gr, you have to punch in 44.0 and hope it doesn't go over.
</div></div>

+1

I've got the third model also. Some things I've found out are you can not have a cell phone turned on anywhere in the room with this thing. You also cant use it in a room with any kind of motor or floresent lights in operation. I only use mine now with just one over head light on and no other electronics. This only keeps the scale from drifting arround to alittle bit but does not eliminate it. I've got into a habit of resetting the zero after five rounds. I do a row of shells and hit the zero button. It's a pain in the ass but seems to help keep the load variations down. If you don't own one good for you stay that way. I may be selling mine as I'm looking to pick up a used Prometheous type one dispenser. There's one local forsale and it's almost a ton of money, hint. But the time saved and lack of worriers about charge weight would be more than enough reason for me to do it. Wish I could say something good about it but can't think of a thing.
Donald

HMMMM. I must have gotten a rare good one. 4 years running a DPS2 (now with DPS3 speed upgrade) and zero of the problems you guys seem to have. Only thing that bugs me is the annoying beep.

I spoke with Lyman, and they advised me to go ahead and ship it back. Turn around supposed to be a few weeks, so I'll keep my fingers crossed...

well if you can get a refund you might want to try this for $199
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047VBSR0021
I do not expect support, but it seems to work. book says to turn it on for 7 min before calibrating and zeroing. it did not drift on me yet. using varget around 3 drops out of 60 were .1 over the setting but I saw that about 4 kernals dropped on a 1 step advance. just a random pile up of powder. this might go away as I get it broken in. I think that this is what Hornady is showing as their lock and load scale/dispenser.

I doubt they will give me a refund, but if they do it will go towards a Chargemaster. Natchez has them on sale for $280, and they have a much better reputation than the Lyman!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...waste of money. I bought one about a month ago, and thought they had worked the bugs out with the "3" model. I really wanted the Chargemaster, but the Lyman was considerably cheaper. Well, its been a headache since the day I took it out of the box. Its a PITA to get a consistent zero, and has a propensity to wander regardless of what you are doing with the machine. I've called Lyamn twice to troubleshoot, but I am still having issues. It is VERY sensitive to static, and I have tried all the recommendations from Lyman and the internet with little luck. But that's only half the problem. If I am lucky enough for it to zero, then the weight is generally off 0.2gr from what you punch in. Basically, if you want 44.2gr, you have to punch in 44.0 and hope it doesn't go over.

I guess I'll find out how good Lyman's customer service is tomorrow, as I will be shipping it back this week.
</div></div>

Exact same experience I had. I originally wanted a Chargemaster but Natchez was backordered about 3 months so I got the Lyman. I have since sold the Lyman and now have a Chargemaster that has NONE of the issues the Lyman did.

Never used a DPS of any ilk, but my Chargemaster is overall a good unit. The zero will float a tenth some times but when I verify the charge it is still what I asked for. I have it on a surge protected circuit. I think that helps. I have heard that all these digital units are sensitive to Flourescent lighting. Use dryer sheets to mitigate static.
Now, on the other hand, I have a Dillon digital scale that is a POS. First one went south about a year into use. They replaced it but it still floats all over the place. I don't trust it for powder charges. Only for case sorting now.

The confusing part is, I have two other electronic powder measures and neither have ever had problems with static, wandering zero, ir inconsistent readings. What, exactly, about the Lyman is so sensitive that other measures seem to be immune to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the mystery to me. I own two other electronic scales, an RCBS 750 and a Cabelas. Neither of these scales have ever had an issue with static, the zero never wanders, and you only have to calibrate it once. What is so different about the Lyman, and do the RCBS and PACT have the same problems? </div></div>

cableas is made by pact

i didnt care for my cabelas one

wound up with chargmaster combo and love it

Thanks for the review/information. Now I am really glad that I went ahead and spent the additional $s on an RCBS unit. I should have it on my doorstep by about 16 MAR.

I swear to god this thread jinxed my DPS 3, last night it was giving me a ±0.3gr spread.
mad.gif
Next one will be a RCBS or Pact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">last night it was giving me a ±0.3gr spread</div></div>

You are lucky, mine would jump as much as 7-15gr!

I purchased a Lyman DPS 1200 back when they first came out. I'm going to say around early 2004 or so. I had the same issues, and found out the 30 minute "warm up mode" it goes into when you first fire it up is nowhere near long enough. What I did was plug it in and turn it on before I went to bed the night before I intended to reload. I then calibrated zero according to the manual when I got up the next morning. After my morning routine, coffee, walk the dog, shower, etc., when I finally sat down to reload I recalibrated it, and found that solved any drift from zero issues. For some reason the Lyman unit requires a very long warm up. I don't know why, but this method worked for me and has given me years of satisfactory results. Bill T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308isgreat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a chargemaster. The thing just works and it's accurate enough for me. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the mystery to me. I own two other electronic scales, an RCBS 750 and a Cabelas. Neither of these scales have ever had an issue with static, the zero never wanders, and you only have to calibrate it once. What is so different about the Lyman, and do the RCBS and PACT have the same problems? </div></div>

My RCBS (knock on wood) has been rock solid. I calibrate it once when I turn it on and it never wanders even a tenth for hours of loading sessions.

Many people leave theirs on. I don't, but I have left it on for a few days just for shiggles and checked it at the beginning and end with check weights with no additional calibrations between and it was dead nuts on to the 0.0 grain.