Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

So, you don’t believe in harmonics? Because a particular load built to the same specs every time, at a similar velocity should produce a consistent result…

So, what would you call a range of certain powder charges that continuously produce similar results, where the results were adverse both lower and higher then that particular range of charge weights? That sure sounds like a harmonic (velocity) node to me…

I think you are making a lot of assumptions in regards to inputs in the internal ballistics phase and how those inputs affect external ballistics. I also don't think you understand the complex level of testing and sample size that would be required to determine the conclusions that you are.

Anyways, back to the Solus...

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
I think you are making a lot of assumptions in regards to inputs in the internal ballistics phase and how those inputs affect external ballistics. I also don't think you understand the complex level of testing and sample size that would be required to determine the conclusions that you are.

Anyways, back to the Solus...
And I think I’m right, you don’t want to admit it, and are grossly over complicating something that is much more simple than BR and comp shooters are willing to admit. They want everyone to think they have some sort of voodoo magic formula, when consistency and quality of both rifle and reloading components, and your reloading practices, is more important than anything. But we’ll agree to disagree.

I agree with you on one thing… Let’s get back to the Solus discussion. And I’ll stick with my unscientific and uneducated method that has never let me down in 20 years, and repeatedly produces sub-1/2 MOA groups, if the rifle is capable of it. 👍🏼😂

And I think I’m right, you don’t want to admit it, and are grossly over complicating something that is much more simple than BR and comp shooters are willing to admit. They want everyone to think they have some sort of voodoo magic formula, when consistency and quality of both rifle and reloading components, and your reloading practices, is more important than anything. But we’ll agree to disagree.

Actually, we agree a lot on this. My reloading process is super simple. However, I don't waste any time chasing "nodes". Producing 1/2 MOA groups is easy, and you don't need any "nodes" to do this.

Actually, we agree a lot on this. My reloading process is super simple. However, I don't waste any time chasing "nodes". Producing 1/2 MOA groups is easy, and you don't need any "nodes" to do this.
I don’t chase them, but when I find one in my ladder test work ups, I work within the node to pinpoint my best and most consistent loads.

There’s been plenty of times, like with the factory barreled .308 Win Solus I have, that I was chasing consistent groups, but had to scrap it and start over 3 times before finding something that worked because it was ridiculously picky. One thing I love about quality aftermarket barrels is they tend to be much more forgiving, if the machine work was done properly.

Reactions: kthomas
Screenshot_20240730-164321_1.png

Solus pistols 15% off with code PISTOL.

I think I'll wait for the bolts but may get a 300blk pistol. Mainly want to do a 223 rifle, perhaps I'll do a 6arc instead

I bought one of the Hunter models in .308 and everything about it seems quality, but it shoots like garbage. Groups from 1.5 to 2.5” with handloads that shot in the .4s in a previous Criterion barrel rifle.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the barrel. Put the Solus barreled action in an MPA chassis and it still shot poorly. Put one of my known good shooting barreled actions in the Solus stock and it still shot good. Tried two different scopes with both shooting poorly.

So, while I would not hesitate to use their action, which I really like, I could not recommend their barreled action or barrels.

John

So far my Creedmoor has shot well. Put 20 rounds through it so far with a random load.
I used prime 1x brass with 41.8 grain of h4350, 147 eldm and cci200 primers. It shot a .837 5 shot group at 100, velocity is 2694 avg.

I bought one of the Hunter models in .308 and everything about it seems quality, but it shoots like garbage. Groups from 1.5 to 2.5” with handloads that shot in the .4s in a previous Criterion barrel rifle.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the barrel. Put the Solus barreled action in an MPA chassis and it still shot poorly. Put one of my known good shooting barreled actions in the Solus stock and it still shot good. Tried two different scopes with both shooting poorly.

So, while I would not hesitate to use their action, which I really like, I could not recommend their barreled action or barrels.

John
So make a load for that gun?

John
If you are not going to do a proper load development for the rifle you should at least try some known good factory ammo in it before condemning the barrel. I recommend (as everyone will) 168g Federal Gold Medal, if you can’t get MOA or better at 100 yards then maybe start thinking about an accuracy issue.

As stated above, I DID do some load development with 178gr ELD-Xs, Lapua brass and Varget, working up from 42 gr to over 44gr in .4gr increments. They all shot like garbage.

Additionally, I tried a proven load from previous barrels, R15 pushing 155gr Scenars from Lapua brass.

Over the years, I have used .308 barrels from Remington, Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux and Criterion. While some shot better than others, none of them ever shot as bad as this factory Solus barrel. If a barrel shoots this bad with multiple loads, it is NOT going to shoot very well with any load.

John

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
As stated above, I DID do some load development with 178gr ELD-Xs, Lapua brass and Varget, working up from 42 gr to over 44gr in .4gr increments. They all shot like garbage.

Additionally, I tried a proven load from previous barrels, R15 pushing 155gr Scenars from Lapua brass.

Over the years, I have used .308 barrels from Remington, Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux and Criterion. While some shot better than others, none of them ever shot as bad as this factory Solus barrel. If a barrel shoots this bad with multiple loads, it is NOT going to shoot very well with any load.

John
I get what you're saying and I agree with a portion of it but much like shotguns, it seems like bolt guns are all special snow flakes that have their preference for ammo.

I think as mentioned above, if the gun wont shoot FGGM then you have a legitimate complaint. Saying the gun wont shoot your "known good loads" isn't really fair. They're "known" and "good" to you but they're not as standardized as FGGM.

I have two Solus rifles, in 6.5 creedmoor. Both my wifes gun and mine are EASILY under one inch shooting shit ammo. I recently shot a .877 inch group at 100 yards with S&B 140 grain BALL ammo... I almost fell out of my chair.

image_cropper_AA908FCA-DF9D-4890-993D-FB19408D88F9-67195-000036920945DF07.jpg

Given the cost of the aero pre fits, I really cant complain. At all.

Might have to... I'll call them tomorrow at work. LOL
Update… Called Aero, and they said that since it had not shipped yet, they would retroactively add the discount, and refund the difference back to my card. 👍🏼

If it was $20-30 I wouldn’t worry about it, but nearly $300 will help towards my brace setup for it.

Update… Called Aero, and they said that since it had not shipped yet, they would retroactively add the discount, and refund the difference back to my card. 👍🏼

If it was $20-30 I wouldn’t worry about it, but nearly $300 will help towards my brace setup for it.
Bro...

Now that's customer service. They sure as shit didn't have to do that.

Aero is KILLING it.

Now, a folding hinge would be fantastic...I'm patient though..mostly. :)

Bro...

Now that's customer service. They sure as shit didn't have to do that.

Aero is KILLING it.

Now, a folding hinge would be fantastic...I'm patient though..mostly. :)
Don't need to wait on a folding hinge from Aero for it, unless you are trying to run the full stock... Otherwise, it already comes with a 1913 rail on the back, so just order a JMAC Customs 1913 Folder mech, and an AB-9R brace bar, and then the brace of your choice. That's what I'm going to do until I decide whether or not to SBR it. Or if some legislation decides that SBR's are not needed to be regulated...Then I'll put a real stock on it, until then I'n bracing it, and keeping it a pistol for ease of transport laws.

Yeah, I'm happy with the way the load development is going with the .25CM... It was a hot as fuck, muggy as hell, sweaty swamp-ass day at the range... Barometric pressure was higher than normal, heat was higher than normal, and everything was just a horrible Alabama summer dog day...But living here my whole life, I'm used to it, just doesn't make me hate it any less. I much prefer to shoot during the fall/winter/springtime with lower pressures, lower temps, not sweating sitting still with sweat dripping into your eyes while you're trying to shoot...

So, as it appears, 43.5gr of StaBall 6.5 with the Berger 133 Elite is doing quite well. I'm very happy with the 5 shot groups, and the velocities are VERY impressive for a 20" barrel with 133gr heavies right @ +/- 2,800 FPS MV average. If I was only doing 3-shot groups, I would have had quite a few 1/4 MOA groups, but I like to do 5 shot groups for consistency with my target rifles. Hunting rifles, I never plan to take more than 3 shots consecutively, so 3-shot groups works fine for me for those.

Here's a few shots with the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm (with cover on it), and my new TBAC Magnus-S HUB that I'm still waiting on my stamp for (SS Trust)... It sounds amazing with both of them, as you'll hear in a future video... 😉

IMG_9753.jpeg
IMG_9754.jpeg

Here's the first 2 groups of the day... This first group (with the low flier) was shots 1-5 with on freshly cleaned cold bore (right before I left the house for the range)...

image_cropper_3BF40E0D-08A9-4236-AFF8-BED167EBD9AF-485-000002A7188DF4E5.jpeg

And the 2nd group was shots 6-10 after it settled back in... I'm very happy with these results.

image_cropper_82957909-02CC-4CB4-A8F4-86DB98C26A8F-485-000002A84CC08B50.jpeg

Reactions: TDWilson
Has anyone tried out the solus obsidian yet? Any difference in feel from the regular solus or just a change to the looks?
When they go on sale I will... I love my 2 (fixing to be 3) Solus builds, but I'm not paying $900 for just a Solus action. I think when you get them for sub-$750 they are great actions for the money...But once you get into that $800-$1000 mark, there's other "nicer" options out there.

When they go on sale I will... I love my 2 (fixing to be 3) Solus builds, but I'm not paying $900 for just a Solus action. I think when you get them for sub-$750 they are great actions for the money...But once you get into that $800-$1000 mark, there's other "nicer" options out there.
Aero has blems for 712 right now, I was debating on adding another at the sale price but wasn’t sure if it’s a real change from the original which is pretty damn good.

I picked one up for 668 after tax with my 10% discount. Figured for that price it would be worth it
If you sign up for email alerts you get 15%. I just ordered that same one for $623 Shipped

Reactions: YotaEer and MOUNTIC
Has anyone tried out the solus obsidian yet? Any difference in feel from the regular solus or just a change to the looks?
My wife has an original solus action with their sendero 6.5 CM barrel. This was a complete build from their site that we got a killer deal on.

I just put together an Obsidian for myself with the same barrel.

Her action has 500 rounds on it and an unknown amount of dry fire cycles.

My action has 200 rounds on it and an unknown amount of dry fire cycles.

Side to side, my action feels like it has a SLIGHTLY lighter bolt lift. I have no way of quantifying this other than giving you my subjective thoughts. As far as smoothness? My wife's gun is REALLY smooth. Surprisingly so. I would say that the Obsidian is ever so slightly smoother but for the price premium, you're not getting any performance benefit. What you are getting is a gorgeous finish and a beautifully machined, fluted bolt. Is that worth the premium? To me, no. To other's perhaps.

At the current price of those blemished models...run,, don't walk to buy one. You will be OBSCENELY pleased.

I've wanted to try some of the other actions out there just to say I have. Just to say i've got first hand experience but i'm finding it hard to justify spending double on something that functionally, does the same thing.

If you sign up for email alerts you get 15%. I just ordered that same one for $623 Shipped

Been wanting to try one of these for my next build and just did the same. Less than $650 shipped to my FFL is a great deal.

This will be a 25 creed build with manners LRH. Just gotta decide if I do another proof barrel or an osprey carbon Prefit

Questions.

1). Does anyone know why the light weight Solus actions are not listed on Aero’s website anymore?

2). How are you all getting actions for less than $650? They list for $925 and getting them for $650 is more than 15% off.

3). Are they ever going to build a long action?

Questions.

1). Does anyone know why the light weight Solus actions are not listed on Aero’s website anymore?

2). How are you all getting actions for less than $650? They list for $925 and getting them for $650 is more than 15% off.

3). Are they ever going to build a long action?

The “blem” obsidian actions are going for like $715 base price then taking the 15% off coupon they give to anyone takes it down to roughly $600. Add tax and you’re still under $650

Also noticed they no longer have the lightweight actions. I was thinking of that for my 25 creed build but couldn’t pass up the price of these blem obsidian action