• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like just over 2 hrs shooting time for the intimidator course? I'm looking at a six hour drive to and from and am trying to roughly figure out the logistics of the trip. </div></div>
I wouldn't plan on being done until 4:00 or so depending on how many show up. So far it looks like a nice weekend, so I'd expect a decent turnout.

In reality it’s a 22 hour round trip and I would do it again in a heart beat, An awesome course and I’m looking forward to coming back.

I may hate the drive but the Intimidator course at Thunder Valley Precision is worth it

oneshot.onehit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may hate the drive but the Intimidator course at Thunder Valley Precision is worth it

oneshot.onehit
</div></div>

Absolutely true. I feel prvilaged to have the course less than 1.5 hours away. The intimidator is where its at!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may hate the drive but the Intimidator course at Thunder Valley Precision is worth it

oneshot.onehit
</div></div>

Absolutely true. I feel prvilaged to have the course less than 1.5 hours away. The intimidator is where its at!! </div></div>

LUCKY... I'm 2.5 hours away. If I was only an hour and a half I'd be escapping to TVP after work some nights.

TVP is now excepting 20 pre-registrations for our Head Hunter on April 10th.
We will accept the FIRST 20 entrys only. $20 members $30 non-members. You can pay here and ahead or send your check to TVP

Post and pm me to get on the list

Made my second trip to TVP yesterday for the AR shoot. We went from rain to sunny and almost no wind and back to rainy and windy. Only two other shooters showed and we had a great time. Thanks to Tom for providing a great course and for taking the time to talk and answer questions. If you've never been to TVP, get there. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer group of guys who are willing to take the time to help people out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over half full for the 10th </div></div>
In if there's still room

PM sent

Wow what a great day on the range today. Nice shooting guys and to the lady great shooting, so impressive first round hits. Sorry I forgot the camera so no pics of today's crew

Proneshooter your in

Great job shooting everyone. That was the first time I've ever been to TVP and not gotten rained out. So it was the first time I've ever shot position 2,3, or 4. Today was definately a data day. I believe Brett and Troy are both hooked however and I expect you'll see the three of us in time to come. Thanks as usual to Tom for helping all of us that are still trying to sponge it all up.

Good luck,
Merritt

Great time today. I am glad Merritt talked me into coming given my lack of equipment today. I got some good advice, practice and learned a lot from watching all of you guys and gal. Also got a lot of great advice from Tom. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. And letting me shoot your 260! Nest time you guys see me my rifle will be done and I will put up a little better fight
wink.gif

I too would like to know the latest on the mile shoot.

The schedule on the first post of this thread has it happening on April 16th and 17th, but the schedule on the TVP website has an Intimidator and a Short Course on those two days.

I'd like to know the latest scoop

I would go with what the schedule on the website says first, as I know it has been updated recently. That being said, looks like the mile shoot will be the next saturday after the intimidator and short course.

The schedule on this thread is the updated one, as soon as there is a change(per Tom) I change it on here. Then have to wait on someone else to change it on the website, so always go with what you see here.
The info on the mile shoot with be posted soon
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The schedule on this thread is the updated one, as soon as there is a change(per Tom) I change it on here. Then have to wait on someone else to change it on the website, so always go with what you see here.
The info on the mile shoot with be posted soon
Thanks </div></div>
Cool.

I'll be at Miami Rifle shooting their NRA mid range prone match on the 16th.

I'll shoot the intimidator on the 23rd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any issues with Rt. 93? Last time I came up there was water over it in a couple of places. </div></div>

Bob - 93 was open at least between 36 and TVP on the 2nd. I guess with the latest rain that may have changed.

Don't know if you wanna try but the route I took to bypass the water was 93 north from I70, take it all the way to Ostego were it T's and to stay on 93 is a left or right puts you on 83 south, take 83 south( a right) a mile to a left on Granny's Knob road(narrow road), to 662(nice Paved road)make a left on it, then make a right onto dirt at Three Point road(also 118) if you zoom in on mapquest you can see the roads.

I have a question about the competitions. I notice there are classes for the AR competions ie open sights, Optics, etc.. Are there classes for the bolt guns also. The reason I am asking is I don't see how a shooter that is competing with lets say a 308 can competitively compete against a guy shooting a 338 lapua. It seems to me there should be some kind of class system to keep the playing field level. I have never shot out at TVP but look forward to getting up there this summer. I am just asking so I can mentally prepare myself. If I will be competing against guys shooting 50 Cals and Big Bore rifles I won't expect to compete. I will just enjoy the shoot for what it is. Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Circus Bear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question about the competitions. I notice there are classes for the AR competions ie open sights, Optics, etc.. Are there classes for the bolt guns also. The reason I am asking is I don't see how a shooter that is competing with lets say a 308 can competitively compete against a guy shooting a 338 lapua. It seems to me there should be some kind of class system to keep the playing field level. I have never shot out at TVP but look forward to getting up there this summer. I am just asking so I can mentally prepare myself. If I will be competing against guys shooting 50 Cals and Big Bore rifles I won't expect to compete. I will just enjoy the shoot for what it is. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I wouldn't stress on the caliber thing. Guys with 223's outshoot guys with 338s all the time. It's no different than track days/racing, guys on sv650's with 65rwhp smoke guys on 1000s with 170rwhp all the time. Just shoot what you have and have some fun. You'd be surprised what you can learn.

I appreciate your attempt to educate me in the fact that guys that shoot 223's out shoot guys shooting 338's all the time.
I know it appears that I am a "new guy" and all because I just joined this site yesterday but I can assure you I am far from being a new guy in the art of long range precision fire. In fact I teach the art daily to new and veteran shooters. So what i'm getting at is if you take two shooters that are competing against one another for a prize,title whatever. The one shooting a 338 lapua is going to have an advantage over the guy shooting a 308. If they are equally talented the guy with the 308 will lose every time hands down. Especially if they are engaging targets at 1000 to 1200 yards. If it is a legitimate competition than there should be a class system. Especially if there is an award system.Just something I was thinking about and wanted to know. I take it there isn't a class system. So in essence we are really just competing against ourselves. Because there is no way I will be proud to be the winner of a competion if I am engaging targets with a 338 and you are shooting your 223 against me. Just my 2 cents.

I guess I never asked or worried about classes either when I came out to TVP or any other match but never felt that I was undergunned or at a disadvantage because of what I took to shoot. If I had to be worried about someone having a gun or caliber I felt I couldn't compete with I'd never go to a match. Ya bring what ya got and shoot it the best you can. Remember what they say about the one gun man, chances are he will know how to use it.

If you feel you will have an advantage over the others I'm sure not many will complain, they'll just work harder to keep up with you next time. Most times a competitive shooter will enjoy shooting against a shooter better than themselves, it'll give them a chance to learn and also someone to strive to beat. Unless you are challenged most times you don't perform to your potential. In my weird way of thinking and doing things when I get beat at a match it was by a better shooter, not by their gun.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Circus Bear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate your attempt to educate me in the fact that guys that shoot 223's out shoot guys shooting 338's all the time.
I know it appears that I am a "new guy" and all because I just joined this site yesterday but I can assure you I am far from being a new guy in the art of long range precision fire. In fact I teach the art daily to new and veteran shooters. So what i'm getting at is if you take two shooters that are competing against one another for a prize,title whatever. The one shooting a 338 lapua is going to have an advantage over the guy shooting a 308. If they are equally talented the guy with the 308 will lose every time hands down. Especially if they are engaging targets at 1000 to 1200 yards. If it is a legitimate competition than there should be a class system. Especially if there is an award system.Just something I was thinking about and wanted to know. I take it there isn't a class system. So in essence we are really just competing against ourselves. Because there is no way I will be proud to be the winner of a competion if I am engaging targets with a 338 and you are shooting your 223 against me. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

My apologies if I offended you. My point was probably better made by saying its just competing against ourselves (unless otherwise stated, ie, special matches, benchrest stuff, etc... may have classes). The only real competition would be gunning for the range record and/or the $5000 prize for cleaning the Intimidator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Circus Bear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate your attempt to educate me in the fact that guys that shoot 223's out shoot guys shooting 338's all the time.
I know it appears that I am a "new guy" and all because I just joined this site yesterday but I can assure you I am far from being a new guy in the art of long range precision fire. In fact I teach the art daily to new and veteran shooters. So what i'm getting at is if you take two shooters that are competing against one another for a prize,title whatever. The one shooting a 338 lapua is going to have an advantage over the guy shooting a 308. If they are equally talented the guy with the 308 will lose every time hands down. Especially if they are engaging targets at 1000 to 1200 yards. If it is a legitimate competition than there should be a class system. Especially if there is an award system.Just something I was thinking about and wanted to know. I take it there isn't a class system. So in essence we are really just competing against ourselves. Because there is no way I will be proud to be the winner of a competion if I am engaging targets with a 338 and you are shooting your 223 against me. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

In reference to the Intimidator course, under normal winds to calm a 308 run by someone knowing his gun, will run strong with the 338s, it’s only when the winds get radical that the 338 will stand out.

Bottom line, trigger time and knowing your gun, you would be a fool to let these issues restrain you from the TVP Intimidator.

It’s not about where you finished, but what you can learn from the course and the 308s can get it done.

My Son shoots a 308 Rem, and I, the 338 Lapua.

oneshot.onehit

I agree. A 308 in the hands of a skilled shooter is a very effective weapon. But as I said before in a competition environment where the are competitors of equal skill and ability. The one that is using a 338 against a guy using a 308 will win every time. I mean you guys can justify it any way you want but the fact remains that the 338 is ballistically superior to the 308. If that wasn't the case the round would have never been developed in the first place. If that wasn't the case I would have to recommend to you that you go and get your head examined. Any man in there right mind wouldn't spend $4.00 a round if it didn't give them an edge. Not when they could shoot a 308 4 times for the same amount of money. There is no comparison in the two cartridges. Anyway my question was answered we are really competing against ourselves. This is not a real competition that you can judge your skills against other competitors on a level playing field. I do look forward to shooting the course. I will bring my 308. I'm sure the intimidator would be challenging to shoot with a 308. Until then you guys have fun pumping each other up shooting them big bores and talking about how much your learning. If you really want to learn about marksmanship shoot a 308. If you can be efficient with that caliber you can be efficient with anything. I can't wait to hear what other kind of B.S. comments that are coming down the pipe about this. Standing By

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Circus Bear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. A 308 in the hands of a skilled shooter is a very effective weapon. But as I said before in a competition environment where the are competitors of equal skill and ability. The one that is using a 338 against a guy using a 308 will win every time. I mean you guys can justify it any way you want but the fact remains that the 338 is ballistically superior to the 308. If that wasn't the case the round would have never been developed in the first place. If that wasn't the case I would have to recommend to you that you go and get your head examined. Any man in there right mind wouldn't spend $4.00 a round if it didn't give them an edge. Not when they could shoot a 308 4 times for the same amount of money. There is no comparison in the two cartridges. Anyway my question was answered we are really competing against ourselves. This is not a real competition that you can judge your skills against other competitors on a level playing field. I do look forward to shooting the course. I will bring my 308. I'm sure the intimidator would be challenging to shoot with a 308. Until then you guys have fun pumping each other up shooting them big bores and talking about how much your learning. If you really want to learn about marksmanship shoot a 308. If you can be efficient with that caliber you can be efficient with anything. I can't wait to hear what other kind of B.S. comments that are coming down the pipe about this. Standing By </div></div>
Way to make an entrance........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Circus Bear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you really want to learn about marksmanship shoot a 308. If you can be efficient with that caliber you can be efficient with anything. I can't wait to hear what other kind of B.S. comments that are coming down the pipe about this. Standing By </div></div>

B.S. comments??? Really guys ..... arguing over the internet is pretty much pointless and I doubt the debate over which cartridge is best will never end. Most questions can be answered when the scores are posted. Anyone that doesn't believe bigger and faster isn't an advantage is just silly. Shooting the Intimidator is a great game where better ballistics can help make up for errors in reading the wind and such. If you don't learn something every time you shoot the Intimidator it's because you weren't trying regardless of what cartridge you were using.

As to the original question, there is no class seperation between magnums and standard cartridges. There are lots of hills and valleys at TVP, so no it isn't a level playing field. In my opinion it isn't necessary anyway. That would likely be a serious debate as well when a guy showed up with a .243 AI and was put in the same class as the .308s. If it comes to be a problem I'm sure Tom will fix it, but the Intimidator seems to work well as it is right now.

Circus Bear, if you want class separation by caliber then you need to be shooting NRA service rifle, Palma, or F/TR. There you get to pick between .223 or .308 only.

Anywhere else you are gonna have to deal with others that have "better" cartridges than you.

Pretty simple, really.

YUP Love that score sheet but as Mike says even though it may or may not be a match we're really only competing against ourselves and we strive to do better each time and improve and pretty soon maybe our name will be at the top of that list and be the guy to beat.

Hmmm, I guess I should feel the same shooting against a guy with a 308 as he does shooting against a 338? But when you beat that fella with the big bad gun it's worth all the effort.

NAH

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats going on out at TVP today? Shooting from the benches, or is there a specific practice for the HH?

Sean </div></div>
I'm pretty sure Tom and Wayde are shooting the Sniper Challenge at Rayner's today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are opening Sunday for a HH match. We have 4 spots left. Call me in the am if you want to come out and shoot it with us.

Tom
740-502-6530 </div></div>

Dang it if it wasn't for the issues this week I would probably be shooting in it.

Oh well I guess I'll have to experience the HH at a later date. You spoke of a morning and afternoon Head hunter format. Is that what you mention on this site and on the website. If so when does the afternoon match start. Getting up at 4:45 on my day off for matches gets old fast.

Thank you,
Merritt

Wow what a great day of shooting, learning how to read the wind is a humbling experience. Still had a great time shooting, Thanks Tom

WOW!

Shot the Head Hunter for the first time today, talk about an experience!

I guess the title is fairly appropriate, I was "Hunting" for a hit all day long!

Great course, very challenging, great learning experience.

Glad as always to make it back to TVP, great facility, shooters, and a no pressure just have fun and learn attitude.

Thanks again to everyone, can't wait for the next one,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow what a great day of shooting, learning how to read the wind is a humbling experience. Still had a great time shooting, Thanks Tom </div></div>
+1

Just seeing your wind call be right was an achievement in and of itself.......

Tom S, thanks a million for putting these events on. I'm sorry I missed you to thank you personally but the pain had me beat down and I needed to make tracks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to brag a bit. I think I am the only one that posted a perfect score today.

0-20. Doesnt get any more perfect than that!! </div></div>

The funny thing is that was your 20th hide post
smile.gif

Can only get better from here lol

Don't get me wrong here. I had a blast, I am just poking fun of myself.

I found new ways to miss every trigger pull. If I had the Elevation right, my wind was WAY off. If I had the wind right (that didnt happen very often either), I would get bit by my elevation adjustments.

I also forgot my magazine on the first stage.

Overall, not a very impressive first outing. But it only gets better from here.

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get me wrong here. I had a blast, I am just poking fun of myself.

I found new ways to miss every trigger pull. If I had the Elevation right, my wind was WAY off. If I had the wind right (that didnt happen very often either), I would get bit by my elevation adjustments.

I also forgot my magazine on the first stage.

Overall, not a very impressive first outing. But it only gets better from here.

Sean </div></div>

Sean,
This is the other Sean H, my score went down from the first match. I got 5 heads the first match, and only 4 yesterday. The wind was rough. It was a blast as ususal though and I got some more data and advice from Tom S and everyone else that really helped. The last stage, I was just off 4 of targets and hit one, last time I was WAY off all 5 targets. Great people, great time and a learning experience. I appreciate everyones willingness to help and give advice, it really makes it a fun day. Thanks to Tom and all the instructors for another fun HH shoot.
Sean

"Newbies"

We will be having a "newbie" range day here at Thunder Valley Precision April 30th at 8:30 am till dark 30. The class will offer an introduction to short and long range precision shooting. We will start with a safety meeting then go over your equipment. Then check zeros and chronograph for accurate velocity, if needed, then make drop charts.
Then proceed to the "Intimidator". Here you will learn how to effectively adjust for elevation and windage to more accurately engage targets at great distance. We will accept 20 shooters for this class, 10 two-man teams(individuals will be paired). PRE-REGISTRAION ONLY. Registration begins now.

For more info please e-mail me at [email protected]
[email protected]
PM Tom Sarver
or cell contact 740-502-6530

The Cost is $40.00

Thanks,
TVP