• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka T3 Thread

It seems that you got your in 24", which is the right lenght of that caliper.
I wish they would do 24" in that time when i bought mine is 260rem.
Well, i burn that barrel out and replaced it with something SS and longer, but im not sure do i want to have 24", maybe 22", because i use supressor, it would get grazy long if it would be too long, but speed loves long rod :)

Does anyone have a Tikka T3X 6.5CM 24” blue barrel with these specs?

Removeable matching grey soft touch oversized pistol grip and fore-end
• Semi-heavy contour threaded barrel with attached muzzle brake included
• Set Trigger for precise trigger pull and improved accuracy
• Teflon® Bolt with widened angular ejection port
• Ergonomically designed cheek piece for better scope alignment
• Improved recoil pad
• Metallic bolt shroud protects the bolt body and firing pin
• 10 Round Steel Magazine

Calling it a “Special Edition”. Anyone shot one of these with the set trigger? Is the muzzle brake any good? Thanks.

Here’s a picture.

Last edited:

• Improved recoil pad

Calling it a “Special Edition”. Anyone shot one of these with the set trigger? Is the muzzle brake any good? Thanks.

Here’s a picture.
F1287585-EFC4-4AEA-95C2-1CA6C2F6FE4D.jpeg

It seems that you got your in 24", which is the right lenght of that caliper.
I wish they would do 24" in that time when i bought mine is 260rem.
Well, i burn that barrel out and replaced it with something SS and longer, but im not sure do i want to have 24", maybe 22", because i use supressor, it would get grazy long if it would be too long, but speed loves long rod :)

I handled a 20" and I'm happy I went with 24". 20" is certainly handy if you hunt in blinds though. Also...I don't use a suppressor so definitely take that into account.

I live in NY. It's going to to be used for varmints (woodchucks), predators and whitetail. Hoping to start going out west for antelope/elk/muleys in the next couple years too. It's a capable do all rifle. A little heavier than a sporter, but it fits me really well. Very soft shooting compared to my 270win which is 1.75lb lighter.

Reactions: viking78
CTR owners...anyone interested in a 5 round mag thats shorter than the current CTR 10 round? Looking to see how many would be interested in a "shorty" CTR mag for hunting/carry purposes.

• Improved recoil pad

Here’s a picture.

It has the same barrel as it is in TAC A1, so they are accuracy ;)
I have that Tikka muzzle brake and it is awesome, really kills the recoil, kind of heavy though, 32oz.

Last edited:
Yes.
I've wondered why this isn't a thing already....

Same here. I know there were a couple people working on CTR-type mags, then the price dropped, and they dropped development. That said, I'd really be interested in a shorty 5 round mag, and maybe with enough interest, we could get someone to manufacture a group buy.

About this shorty CTR mag...

I ran the idea across a guy. All the info I have now is that it would take a pretty strong group commitment - somewhere in the range of 100-150 units - to get this off the ground. Stamping, prototyping, tooling - all of those the driver behind needing such a big initial buy once a prototype is out.

I don't have costs or anything else, just an early spitball of ideas at this point.

If you're a CTR owner and you like the idea of having a shorty 5 round mag that mimics a similar below stock exposure as the T3 magazine, lets start with giving a thumbs up like to this post -or- just posting your response, ideas, etc. If not this manufacturer, maybe someone else will want to jump on board if we can show enough interest. I imagine this having a similar footprint depth as the 5 round AI mag.

I've had 2 T3s with laminated GRS stocks and still have one of them.
I recently bought a KRG Bravo and have already put it back into the GRS. The KRG just wasn't doing it for me and didn't make me any more competitive. I'm a bit surprised GRS isn't seen more in matches.
I think the GRS is the most comfortable and user friendly stock I've owned.
Like you, I don't like the "tacticool" look and I haven't found a chassis yet that I fancy. Until then, it's GRS for me.

How's the GRS when you have to shoot weak side?

I actually prefer a mag sticking out, maybe not as long as a 10 shot aics but the mdt 9 shot or CTR mag are just right to carry a rifle muzzle down. Even with wet hands it won't slip. My rifles all seem to have the COG just forward of the mag which makes them nice to carry at the mag. Certainly prefer it over the smooth belly 3 shot original mag.

N7ORcQu.jpg

9oJGBmt.jpg

6zxukJC.jpg

edi

I actually prefer a mag sticking out, maybe not as long as a 10 shot aics but the mdt 9 shot or CTR mag are just right to carry a rifle muzzle down. Even with wet hands it won't slip. My rifles all seem to have the COG just forward of the mag which makes them nice to carry at the mag. Certainly prefer it over the smooth belly 3 shot original mag.

Agreed, I prefer 10 round AICS to 5 rounders

I may be wrong but my impression was that the dude’s post was about filling a hole in the market for people that are running ctr bottom metal that want something smaller than the 10 rounders as I didn’t see anything available when I looked a few months ago other than the 5 round ctr mags which are basically the 10 rounders with a pin only allowing 5 308 sized rounds to be loaded in it. More options is better than less imo, and the fact that someone wants to make a smaller profile mag doesn’t mean you won’t still be able to use all the other larger ones that you were using before these if/when they become available. I’ll still run the ctr 10 rounders at comps when I have time to go but some people need 5 rounders or less for hunting laws and would prefer the mag being as snag free as possible.

Obviously there are plenty of other options for the people running aics compatible bottom metal.

Last edited:
After following this thread for almost a year I finally put together my Tikka.

T3x CTR .308 20" with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3x15x FFP.

I got the scope mounted and zeroed at the range yesterday. I also installed a Thunderbeast brake my buddy gave me so I can use his suppressor. (He's already trying to spend more of my money.)

I shot 3 different weights of Federal Match and some Atomic Match and the gun seemed to like the 168 grain Federal and Atomic loads best. I also shot groups to see the POI shift from unsuppressed to suppressed.

The Atomic had the biggest POI shift, but also the smallest group. It put 5 rounds in the space of a nickel at 100 yards.

I had considered a Bergara HMR or a Howa 1500/Vanguard, but I'm glad I went with the Tikka. This thing shoots as well as everyone here claims.

The next step is a training class to learn the fundamentals.
IMG_3177.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg

Reactions: Reck73 and PFG
Finally have a chance to share my tikka. It's a tikka 6.5 creedmoor built off a lite action. Bartlein 26" barrel, mpa muzzle brake, nightforce 20 moa base, and sako green krg X-ray. She shoots for sure. Eric smith at ES-Tactical did the work.

Just waiting on my krg spigot and a new bolt handle.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2632.JPG
    IMG_2632.JPG
    786.9 KB · Views: 192
Finally have a chance to share my tikka. It's a tikka 6.5 creedmoor built off a lite action. Bartlein 26" barrel, mpa muzzle brake, nightforce 20 moa base, and sako green krg X-ray. She shoots for sure. Eric smith at ES-Tactical did the work.

Just waiting on my krg spigot and a new bolt handle.
Great looking rifle!
I've been emailing with Eric to rebarrel my Tikka also. Heard great things about him and sounds like his turnaround is crazy fast.
Heavy Palma contour? Tough to tell in the pics.

Reactions: Estes640
Pic of my new Tikka.
Just put it together Saturday, so haven't had a chance to zero and dope it out yet.
Few hundred dry cycles, action feels great. Hope to get a little trigger time on it before I send it out to get rebarreled.

T3X CTR in 6.5 creed
-KRG W3
-Cronus btr
-MPA mount

Attachments

• 20180407_123035.jpg
    20180407_123035.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 180
Pic of my new Tikka.
Just put it together Saturday, so haven't had a chance to zero and dope it out yet.
Few hundred dry cycles, action feels great. Hope to get a little trigger time on it before I send it out to get rebarreled.

T3X CTR in 6.5 creed
-KRG W3
-Cronus btr
-MPA mount

Thats´s my favourite chassis of all time, and it is with the right colour:cool:

After following this thread for almost a year I finally put together my Tikka.

T3x CTR .308 20" with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3x15x FFP.

I got the scope mounted and zeroed at the range yesterday. I also installed a Thunderbeast brake my buddy gave me so I can use his suppressor. (He's already trying to spend more of my money.)

I shot 3 different weights of Federal Match and some Atomic Match and the gun seemed to like the 168 grain Federal and Atomic loads best. I also shot groups to see the POI shift from unsuppressed to suppressed.

The Atomic had the biggest POI shift, but also the smallest group. It put 5 rounds in the space of a nickel at 100 yards.

I had considered a Bergara HMR or a Howa 1500/Vanguard, but I'm glad I went with the Tikka. This thing shoots as well as everyone here claims.

The next step is a training class to learn the fundamentals.
View attachment 6892043View attachment 6892044

Do you reload? i can give you good training ammo recipe ;)

I picked up a T3 lite in .300wsm from a buddy for an awesome price to use as an occasional hunting rifle. Want to keep it lightweight but man that t3 stock is bad. May need to find a t3x stock someone is getting rid of or may end up springing for an upgrade but hate to spend the money for an occasional use rifle.

Nice! Heavy Palma is the contour of tube I'll be going with also.
Curious as to how the heavy palma fills out the forend channel. Any chance you could take a pic from the top side?
From the krg site for the whiskey 3.
"Will accept any barrel contour up to 1.25” straight cylinder. We recommend no larger than .9" at muzzle (i.e. Medium Palma/Remington Varmint contour) for weight and proper overall rifle balance."

From the krg site for the xray
"Will accept any barrel contour up to 1.15” straight cylinder.(Will take standard 1.25" barrel shank and have clearance for that diameter out to about 4" past action face)"

From the krg site for the bravo
"Will accept any barrel contour up to 1.15” straight cylinder.(Will take standard 1.25" barrel shank and have clearance for that diameter out to about 4" past action face)"

Last edited:
I picked up a T3 lite in .300wsm from a buddy for an awesome price to use as an occasional hunting rifle. Want to keep it lightweight but man that t3 stock is bad. May need to find a t3x stock someone is getting rid of or may end up springing for an upgrade but hate to spend the money for an occasional use rifle.

Check out the bell and Carlson m40 style stock for the t3/x. Much better and won’t break the bank. Made for a heavier barrel though.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1094

CTR owners...has anyone chopped their factory tube?

I have a 20" 6.5 Creed and I'm thinking of getting 2 inches lopped off the end, then rethreaded and timed for my TBAC muzzle break.

Anyone chop a CTR 6.5 down? I don't mind losing the FPS, just wanting to keep the typical tikka accuracy.