• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Movie Theater TopGear U.S. version

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
If you've never seen the original U.K. version you might think this show is good but holy cow this version sucks! Who are these three tools? The whole thing feels forced and the chemistry between the three just isn't natural. It might be too early to tell but I'll skip this one and watch re-runs of the U.K. version. Besides, the time slot interferes with the awesome documentary, The Walking Dead.

Re: TopGear U.S. version

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, same thing happened here in Australia. Doesnt compare to the U.K version, they should have just concentrated on playing newer episodes of the U.K. one instead of re-runs all the time.

Pete </div></div>

I've been re-watching all the seasons on Netflix.

Of all the spin-offs, the only one that's enjoyable is Top Gear Russia, which is hilarious precisely because it is so bad. Top Gear America is only bad enough to be awful.

It was <span style="font-style: italic">Motor Trend</span> driving supercars. The dialogue was banal and the car talk completely forgettable. As a comedy it wasn't funny and as automotive commentary it wasn't compelling. It might as well have been that moron Faust's <span style="font-style: italic">Supercars Revealed</span> hosted by the Tanner triplets (except for Buzz Aldrin, and even that bit managed to make the second man on the moon look like a doddering old fool). I'll be amazed it if lasts the season.

I can sum up the appeal of the original <span style="font-style: italic">Top Gear</span> in five syllables: Jeremy Clarkson. No JC, no Top Gear.

I haven't seen the US version....but there are a couple of other blatant copy shows here in the UK that have former TG presenters involved (Fifth Gear with Tiff Needell/Vicky Butler-Hnederson for example) that are absolute shite.

Franchising and format copies will never replace the irreplaceable!

Anything that just covers cars is missing the point - this is about sticking two fingers up to PC bullshit and three middle aged guys growing older disgracefully!

LOVE IT!

Long live Jezza. the Hamster and Captain Slow!

CST - if you mean me....I've already got one, thanks!
laugh.gif

The second episode was less horrible but still horrible nonetheless.

Their major malfunction is that they've shoehorned themselves into a fraternal twin of the UK show, and that leaves them very little flexibility. I mean they even have the same coffee table, fer chrissakes! All they're left with is witty repartee and verbal jousting betwixt the hosts, and they fall far short on both account.

I did notice they made the studio audience laugh this week.

Once.

we had a lame assed copy last year and they can not match the original real Top Gear it is more about the three people than the concept without them it is not the same. teh axed 2 of the people from here this year and the show is OK but it is nothing like the UK Top gear i wish they just played the new episodes and forgot to try and franchise it as they kill the show when they try to do that.

The thing is the UK show is already internationally popular, so there's NO reason to do regional variations. That's for BS like "Dancing with the Stars" and "<insert country> Idol." If barely anyone in the States had seen the original, and then they suddenly see this new show "Top Gear", they might actually think it's cool. Can you imagine a UK or Indian version of "Mythbusters"? The one anomaly here in the US version of "The Office."

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">SUCKS . . . . </span></span></span> everytime someone remakes a BBC show for American TV; ie: Life on Mars, Top Gear, and coming soon Being Human, they always suck ass.

lack of originality anymore, same with movies these days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">SUCKS . . . . </span></span></span> everytime someone remakes a BBC show for American TV; ie: Life on Mars, Top Gear, and coming soon Being Human, they always suck ass.

lack of originality anymore, same with movies these days </div></div>

Not always. Sometimes they get lucky. Three's Company, Sanford and Son, All in the Family and The Office all are rip-offs of BBC series.

They need to kill these guys and replace them with good comedians. A good line up would be to bring back Adam Corolla (who did the pilot show), add Jay Leno and Tim Allen.

Tim would be Jezza going R R R.
Jay is more like Capt. Slow since he knows everything.
Adam would be a tall hamster.

Maybe. I really enjoy the British version and am looking forward to the next season. The episode where they build their own motor homes kills me every time. The American version will have a lot of work to do.

I second the worry about remaking another country's show. I loved the original Iron Chef. I was nervous about the American version. Especially since this wasn't the first attempt. They should have used this series starting line up of chefs. Though I did like William Shatner as the chairman. No offense to the current one.

It's no good. I've read some comments where people feel they need time to get some rhythm with their banter. I don't see it ever happening. TopGear UK is the best...you just can't make that kind of show happen.

Haven't seen it but doubt I ever will... there are a few things the Brits do better...and this show is one of them... It would be like trying to make a US version of Monty Python's Flying Circus...what's the point???

Yes, they've picked it up for a second season. It got some better after the first episode but it still is a pale, pale cousin to the original. Their viewership started close to 2 million mark but tanked from there so I'm surprised they'd sink any more money into it.

I'm not impressed by the US version at all having seen every episode of the UK top gear.

Of the 3 hosts only 1 has any sort of driving background and he's the only one that is entertaining of them. That would be Tanner Foust. Rally driver, Drift Champ, Stunt driver. I've seen his driving skills in person and he is excellent. Pretty good personality on the show but it doesn't make up for the epic shittyness of the writing and the other two nimrods.

I agree, Tanner is worth keeping and they should lose the other two. WHICH brings me to this...why even have a US version? The British show is incredibly awesome. If they are going to have a US car show why not do something original? Of all the things they've done that are similar to the original, they need to take some cars in search of the best driving roads in America!

I'm also a huge fan of original UK show. US show was terrible in the beginning, but I guess it grew on me, because I unjoyed the Alaska episode. But maybe that's because it was in Alaska. The second season, if there is one, will decide whether this episode was a fluke. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Had tonight's episode on for background noise while I was doing some bookkeeping. I don't know why any sponsor in his right mind would waste money on this show. Tonight's was yet another rehash of elements from the UK show, less the humor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USA Top Gear is terrible.

If they want to make a US car show then make one but don't title it Top Gear and try to mimic them at every turn as it doesn't work. </div></div>

It's bad cause you know the real thing. It's like having to drive a Lada after you ve dealt with a GT3 RS. That's in fact why Clarkson gets so annoyed when he gets behind the wheel of a bad car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perkantino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It's like having to drive a Lada after you ve dealt with a GT3 RS. That's in fact why Clarkson gets so annoyed when he gets behind the wheel of a bad car. </div></div>
Good point.

"The Car Show" is somewhat funnier, plus they're hoeing their own row, they're not trying to imitate a show that's already successful in another market.

I don't see the US market supporting the both of them, especially when neither one is particularly good.

You are all missing the point of Top Gear; US. It does add focus to AMERICAN cars. Top Gear: UK harps on and on about British cars in comparison to European. That is why the individual countries have their own version of Top Gear.

Now I will agree that the "talent" involved with the US version doesn't fit as well as the UK version. Tanner is a hell of a driver, though not the most thrilling to listen to. Ruttledge is VERY knowledgeable about cars, though not the most thrilling to listen to. Adam is there for comedy, though he belongs on Jersey Shore, not Top Gear.

Would I watch it with Carrolla, Leno and Allen? No. I like Carolla's CarCast podcast, but I find The Car Show to be absolutely abysmal. I never did like Leno. I stopped watching the Tonight Show because of him. Yes, he has an awesome car collection and is knowledgeable about cars and maybe if he stopped trying to be funny it might work. Tim Allen, Okay, that I might like!

WRONG!

It's point is to make money for the network by arrogating fame from a similarly-named show with <span style="text-decoration: underline">real</span> comedy writers and genuinely talented performers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Epic fail sums up US top gear. </div></div>

What he said.
The US version is a big disappointment and it is all due to the three ball sacks that are the hosts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WRONG!

It's point is to make money for the network by arrogating fame from a similarly-named show with <span style="text-decoration: underline">real</span> comedy writers and genuinely talented performers. </div></div>

Well then, by your your argument, Top Gear US is a WIN. They are making money and the show didn't get dropped as it is now into season 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntard007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WRONG!

It's point is to make money for the network by arrogating fame from a similarly-named show with <span style="text-decoration: underline">real</span> comedy writers and genuinely talented performers. </div></div>

Well then, by your your argument, Top Gear US is a WIN. They are making money and the show didn't get dropped as it is now into season 2. </div></div>
You're absolutely right. It gives Tanner Faust another four months before he has to go back to hawking hair care products and fuel additives for a living.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USA Top Gear is terrible.

If they want to make a US car show then make one but don't title it Top Gear and try to mimic them at every turn as it doesn't work. </div></div>

Right they are just trying too hard

Ima be the lone standout here . . . I've watched Top Gear UK for several year, and it's unbeatable, but I do see some chemestry building between the three US hostss in season 2, and the camera work seems to be improving . . . If anyone remembers the first season of Top Gear UK, it also started out a bit slow . . .

I am not a big car show fan but topgear is great, I really like the friendly ribbing they give each other plus tearing up a few vehicles doesn't hurt either.