• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Trijicon RMR or Crimson Trace laserguard

GrayRyder

Wandered in by accident
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Feb 10, 2017
    I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be but I wanted to run it by the Collective Mind for input.

I've been considering going to a Trijicon red dot but man it's going to be expensive. Figure around $650ish for the red dot, another $150ish for the milling. And I'm not even sure how well I'd adapt to a red dot. I'm familiar with the saying "Buy once, cry once."

Or, I could try a Crimson Trace Laserguard. I've watched youtube videos of those things and while they maybe useful I don't like how they're moving erratically all over the target. But I figure they must have some virtue in them because the military uses them on their rifles. Yes, I know, shooting a rifle is a lot different than shooting a handgun.

What are your thoughts on this choice? Thanks.

Quality red dot over a laser for pistol use any day. You don't necessarily need to get an RMR, Holosun makes a series of good dots at cheaper prices. The 507, 509, EPS, and EPSc are all solid choices for less money.

What's the intended use and what platform is it going on?

Ok, still would recommend a red dot then. If you have to get the slide milled regardless, then it doesn't really matter which footprint you go with and you can just pick the optic you like most.

The laser is erratic because it's showing hand movements.

Aside from price, the big advantage of a laser is you don't have to line it up with your eye. You can shoot from the hip or anywhere else you can see it.

A big disadvantage is lasers point both ways.

It depends... if it's going on an Airweight or something like that, then the laser grip might be fine since that's more of a "last ditch" deep CCW/EDC option.

If it's going on a G19 or something like that, RMR, no question.

My wife carries an S&W638 I setup with an Apex kit and Crimson Trace grip as her EDC, and the laser grip is perfect for that kind of thing. I borrow it now and then when it's hot as Hades in TN during the summer, as I can conceal it in a bathing suit pocket lol.

I've looked at all the major sites - eurooptic; opticsplanet; brownells, etc. All are running between $645 and $699 for Trijicon RMR HDs and they're all out of stock.

I've looked at all the major sites - eurooptic; opticsplanet; brownells, etc. All are running between $645 and $699 for Trijicon RMR HDs and they're all out of stock.

If you qualify for Expert Voice (www.expertvoice.com) there are some pretty crazy deals to be had. Also, don't turn your nose up at the newer Vortex Defender series, I had one on top of my bolt gun for a while, and they are impressive (and not just for what they cost) and I own 3 RMRs and 3 SROs...